F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Fast is never reliable is it?
Studio RSR

07-30-2014, 03:48 PM   #1
alexchen86
Too Many Hobbies!
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i Sportline AW

Fast is never reliable is it?

Here is my sob whiny story over my dumb behavior in jumping on board the tuner band wagon for barely that much power.

3/15/13 - Got one hell of deal on a fully loaded 2013 Sport Line 335i $40k driveout but the catch was I would have to lease it a minimum of 3 years which is okay since I'm not going to buy an extended warranty.

April 2013 - Started doing mods. First was the JB4 Stage 1 module plug and play...gained a little performance and the car did pull harder but nothing to write home about. Then installed the gloss black M performance grill to match the panda color scheme and installed gloss black lower whiskers to match the grill mirrors, rear bumper strip, and window trims. Also paint matched the side amber markers to alpine white.

October 2013 - Installed the Stage 2 JB4 tune that requires you to tap into 2 wires off the CAM harness. Also installed a new gloss black M Performance wing and M performance exhaust. Noticed about 5% difference now that the tune was working in conjunction with the exhaust, and I had also installed a drop in aFe Pro5 Oiled filter to replace the stock one. Turbos definitely spooled a little quicker.

June 2014 - While driving at work on lunch the engine completely shut off and the transmission tried to find the park position while the car was still in motion. I was lucky I was approaching a red light and pulled into a shopping center next door. Restarted the car and the amber tranny light came on and a "Drivetrain Malfunction" message appeared on the NAV screen and the dash message board. Obviously car went into limp mode.

Could not for the life of me understand after a year and 3 months of running the JB4 Stage 2 with no problems all of a sudden on a sunny day slowing down at a red light the car shut itself off in motion and threw 3 codes.

These 3 codes all point to the sensors not being able to detect any charge pressure. Did more resarch and apparently a lot of this has been happening to F30 DME with the JB4. Not so much with the N54 I have no idea why.

What should I do now?
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2014, 03:48 PM   #2
alexchen86
Too Many Hobbies!
United_States
Rep

Btw the JB4 has long been removed.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2014, 03:54 PM   #3
troponin
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i xdrive BMS Stage 1

I'm interested to hear...but have no idea myself. Sorry man!
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2014, 03:58 PM   #4
BMWFanatic2008
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 6MT

Take it to a dealer? Since you removed the tune, it should be untraceable (correct me if I am wrong).
      07-30-2014, 04:52 PM   #5
alexchen86
Too Many Hobbies!
United_States
Rep

I want to see how many other JB4 users out there with the N55 motor are having so many problems with their DME leading to costly repairs or sometimes voided warranties...
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2014, 04:57 PM   #6
alexchen86
Too Many Hobbies!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWFanatic2008 View Post
Take it to a dealer? Since you removed the tune, it should be untraceable (correct me if I am wrong).
Stage 1 is untraceable as you don't need to tap into the 2 CAN wires on the driver side. In fact Stage 1 took me about 15-20 min to install and zip tie up.

Stage 2 requires tapping into the CAN and modifying the provided harness to include 2 additional pins in the plug. That's the previous one...luckily I had the newer harness so didn't need to install those 2 extra wire pins.

Bottom line....it's a sports sedan not a race car. If you want to push it race car specs you better get yourself a stripped out M3 before you do anything.

The 335i is a great car just not mod friendly at least engine tuning wise.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2014, 05:49 PM   #7
dtn
Prince of Zamunda
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 AW F30

So the JB4 is long removed, what happened after that? I had a tune in my car, it limped out one day but I removed it and re-installed later and everything is working fine.

Yeah the car is a sports sedan and not a race car, but the tune is not giving you race car performance, it's just a minor bump.

I also had a tune for my N54 which was for my E89 Z4, which is not a race car either. It was tuned with a much nicer bump in power and was stable with no limp for 3 years.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2014, 06:06 PM   #8
BEAR-AvHistory
2020 Z4 M40i - 2022 M4C Convt
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i - 2022 M4C Convrt

Garage List
N55 has never been as mod friendly as the N54. Also had mine on the N54 for 3 years (410whp) with no problems but decided to go with the MPPK with the N55.

2022 M4C - 2020 Z4 M40i - 2023 FORD Expedition XLT Max 4X4 400BHP - 2009 V-Star - 1998 Ranger 4X4 5MT - 1965 Cobra (R) 5MT - 2023 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 6MT
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2014, 06:10 PM   #9
G30 B58
Pace Car Driver
Rep
Drives: '22 AW G30 B58 M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexchen86 View Post
I want to see how many other JB4 users out there with the N55 motor are having so many problems with their DME leading to costly repairs or sometimes voided warranties...
Then why not post this question here:

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=421
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2014, 06:16 PM   #10
rjpeaks
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i M-Sport 6pd

sorry OP.

i would find yourself a good shop that you trust.

i did that with my sold S4 and it saved me a lot of money and made the sale if my car simpler.
      07-30-2014, 07:02 PM   #11
tdizzle
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 ZCP

Take the car to your dealer ?

Not sure what you are asking. I've been followng threads regularly, especially jb4 related ones here and on the BMS site and haven't seen any of these. You mentioned "a lot". How many did you see? Were they proven to be due to the tune? At this point it doesn't even seem to be proven it was the tune, so I'd take t off as you have and take it to the dealer to check out.

I have seen a lot of stock cars randomly go limp mode for various reasons and some were just random sensor issues that were gone the next time the car was started while others were issues that he dealer fixed under warranty.

Did the issue still happen with the tune removed? I guess I have more questions than answers as there are a lot left to know. It almost sounds like it could be a sensor issue. Not sure I can pinpoint anything that would point to the tune with what you said.

If it were me, I'd try to see if I could figure out the issue myself and restart the car and try for easy fixes. Then remove the tune and all traces it was ever there in case it did cause something or just so they don't use it as an excuse. Then I'd take it to the dealer and see what they say. If the car is still under warranty it's a no brainier to have them look.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2014, 10:01 AM   #12
newoldbeemer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 328i

Just a guess, but I don't think your mods had anything to do with it. I had the exact same error "Drivetrain malfunction" and going into limp mode when starting it up after shopping. Turned out to be a software issue that the dealer fixed by doing a software update. My car was bone stock and this happened at 2 months after buying it (with around 2k miles on it).

If you search for "drivetrain malfunction", lots of others have had the same problem.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2014, 10:50 AM   #13
robbiep
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: VW e-Golf !

Maybe it's me, being dumb, but ...
You don't own the car. It belongs to someone else (the dealership, BMWNA, whoever). What the hell are you doing modifying it ? If something does go wrong, if it is down to the mods (and, by removing it all, if it turns out that BMW can detect it, you've then tried to hide it, so it makes you look really guilty) then you're utterly screwed.

Do people with lease cars not actually ever use their brains ?
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2014, 11:09 AM   #14
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

hi Alex,
What were the codes and why are you so quick to say it was caused by the JB4?

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2014, 08:03 PM   #15
P-Bass
The Ox
Rep
Drives: 2009 Porsche Carrera S Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexchen86 View Post
JB4 installed at a local BMW shop (not dealer). Results were a decimated DME. After taking it to my dealer for repair and a $3K bill, I went back to the shop. The owner did the right thing and took care of me.

I understand a lot of people have these with no problems, but I will never trust another aftermarket tuner other than Dinan. Even Dinan let me down, the springs were a disaster, had to go back to OEMs. Dinan and my BMW dealer absorbed all of the costs, but it was a headache I was not expecting (check Dinan install error thread). I have had miserable experiences trying to modify this car. Again, I know a lot of you have not had the experiences I have, but next time it's an M3 from the factory and done...
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2014, 08:24 PM   #16
SteVTEC
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 335i vert

Well you don't even know what the issue is yet, but... Sensors can crap out even stock. The rule of thumb is don't modify that which you can't afford to or don't want to have to repair if something blows up. Just bought out the lease on my E93 and after much debate have decided not to bother with any power mods. As if I can't get up to truly stupid speeds in a matter of seconds as it is. Will need new tires soon. Might upgrade to 18's with summer tires and put winters on my 17's, and maybe a cosmetic mod or two along with an intake just for better sound.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2014, 10:05 AM   #17
carzaddict
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 Cadillac Escalade ESV

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbiep View Post
You don't own the car. It belongs to someone else (the dealership, BMWNA, whoever). What the hell are you doing modifying it ? If something does go wrong, if it is down to the mods (and, by removing it all, if it turns out that BMW can detect it, you've then tried to hide it, so it makes you look really guilty) then you're utterly screwed.

i beg to differ. who cares who it belongs to...you're making the payments...you can do whatever you want.

when a person chooses to mod the car....hopefully hes done all his research and it means hes taking the responsibility of dealing with the car if and when it breaks...the chances of a normal car breaking as just as high as a modded car. you bring it to the dealer...you play dumb.....bmw fixes it....if it works, it works........if BMW says no....then you pay out of pocket. but thats a risk YOU'VE decided to take o when you decided to start modding.
      08-04-2014, 12:05 PM   #18
alexchen86
Too Many Hobbies!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbiep View Post

I was going to purchase the vehicle outright but the catch on the $40k with TTL had to be a under BMW Financial as a leased car. The mods I was doing to the car were supposedly "untraceable."

Yeah everything I did is untraceable. Until I took the gamble and went Stage 2 with 2 minor pinhole taps into the CAN for the tuner to have power. If I didn't have brains the first thing I would do after Stage 1 is DP/CP/FMIC and I'd probably be happy with that setup.

Stage 2 is what F'd me. I'm posting this to warn other tuners out there that nothing is truly untraceable running a piggy back system.

I got a lot of support from Terry and Jon at BMS so far and for those that hate on BMS for not taking care of them I did not have that experience at all.

Every step of the way someone at BMS replied within 1-2 business days sometimes even a couple of hours away from the office about to board his flight!

If that is not customer service I don't know what is. It is a shame BMS is the guinea pig for piggy backs to the F30 DME's but from what I've learned this past month is that the F30 DME's are a PITA compared to the E cars.

So ECU flash good idea...but there's a reason why other piggy back companies out there have not released any F30 tuners except BMS.

Hell if it's a $3k repair it still is worth the gamble being the vehicle MSRP was around $54k and my driveout was $40k w/TTL.

I can either get it repaired properly and sell it back to BMW and wait in line for an M4 or continue driving with a minor DIY fix.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2014, 12:14 PM   #19
alexchen86
Too Many Hobbies!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdizzle View Post
Take the car to your dealer ?

Not sure what you are asking. I've been followng threads regularly, especially jb4 related ones here and on the BMS site and haven't seen any of these. You mentioned "a lot". How many did you see? Were they proven to be due to the tune? At this point it doesn't even seem to be proven it was the tune, so I'd take t off as you have and take it to the dealer to check out.

I have seen a lot of stock cars randomly go limp mode for various reasons and some were just random sensor issues that were gone the next time the car was started while others were issues that he dealer fixed under warranty.

Did the issue still happen with the tune removed? I guess I have more questions than answers as there are a lot left to know. It almost sounds like it could be a sensor issue. Not sure I can pinpoint anything that would point to the tune with what you said.

If it were me, I'd try to see if I could figure out the issue myself and restart the car and try for easy fixes. Then remove the tune and all traces it was ever there in case it did cause something or just so they don't use it as an excuse. Then I'd take it to the dealer and see what they say. If the car is still under warranty it's a no brainier to have them look.
Exactly what I did. The tune had long been removed prior to taken into the dealer. Their diagnosis was that they saw spliced wiring off the DME (which they meant CAN but whatever). It was not really spliced wiring more like pin hole punctures that their technician purposely enlarged with a razor blade to expose more wiring IF I were to make a warranty claim.

After that I pulled my car back and started going to various BMW tuner shops even one shop that installs/sells BMS JB4. I also visited a couple of other BMW dealerships talking to service advisers and managers as well.

Also at the first dealership with the tech that had enlarged the 2 wiring insulations off the CAN he also ripped the sponge that goes under the engine cover into 3 pieces. He literally raped my motor wiring looking for junk that the JB4 Stage 3 would have used.

Long story short at this point there is so much cosmetic damage to the motor bay AND those 2 CAN wires I doubt any dealer would do a warranty claim. Looks like if I cannot fix the sensor I will be paying out of pocket for the job done right.

Everyone I have talked to and sat with side by side with the diagnostic tool shows that the 3 error codes are from the charge pressure sensor which is going to be replaced tomorrow. IF that doesn't work than it's the ground on the DME that needs attention.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2014, 12:20 PM   #20
alexchen86
Too Many Hobbies!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSA955 View Post
JB4 installed at a local BMW shop (not dealer). Results were a decimated DME. After taking it to my dealer for repair and a $3K bill, I went back to the shop. The owner did the right thing and took care of me.

I understand a lot of people have these with no problems, but I will never trust another aftermarket tuner other than Dinan. Even Dinan let me down, the springs were a disaster, had to go back to OEMs. Dinan and my BMW dealer absorbed all of the costs, but it was a headache I was not expecting (check Dinan install error thread). I have had miserable experiences trying to modify this car. Again, I know a lot of you have not had the experiences I have, but next time it's an M3 from the factory and done...
Could not have said it better myself. Never have I encountered so much headache from modifications after owning and modifying the previous 5 cars I've had.

Should not have tried to chase after M3 like performance from a 335i Sportline with the M suspension. At the end of the day it's still "almost" there. AND if you happen to get a 335i faster than a typical stock M3 I guarantee you you will have 0 warranty and terrible handling compared to a stock M3.

Too many variables and risks even if you do know what you're doing in theory, you still did not design either cars which puts you in a mystery zone.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2014, 12:46 PM   #21
P-Bass
The Ox
Rep
Drives: 2009 Porsche Carrera S Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by carzaddict View Post
i beg to differ. who cares who it belongs to...you're making the payments...you can do whatever you want.

when a person chooses to mod the car....hopefully hes done all his research and it means hes taking the responsibility of dealing with the car if and when it breaks...the chances of a normal car breaking as just as high as a modded car. you bring it to the dealer...you play dumb.....bmw fixes it....if it works, it works........if BMW says no....then you pay out of pocket. but thats a risk YOU'VE decided to take o when you decided to start modding.
I'm confused, taking responsibility and playing dumb are two different things. Which is it? Ethical or not?

I went back to the installer because he did not follow BMS instructions, particularly he did not disconnect the battery. I told BMW what had happened and paid for the repair. The installer then took care of me, he and I both took responsibility. I'm not sure where you stand on this.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2014, 02:43 PM   #22
Mike@N54Tuning.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Canada
Rep

Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

Don't worry, the F30 TMAP ground fix is very simple and free. Just review the F30 install guide as it has detailed directions.

Whatever you do DON'T take it to the dealer for a TMAP sensor ground issue. Rather than install a $1 wire they would rather replace the entire ECU and charge you a fortune for it. It's the BMW way.

Also FWIW BMS modified their JB4 F30 boards recently to bypass the TMAP ground all together. It's called JB4_N55 Rev 2.0. The general cause of this problem was found to be the USB cable touching against a 12v source like the battery rail causing the TMAP ground to go out. Now with the new board if that happens it may still damage the JB4 board but can't hurt the TMAP ground wire.

Mike
Appreciate 0