F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > SPORT Mode Sucks
proTUNING Freaks

07-28-2014, 09:42 PM   #1
Dog Face Pony Soldier
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
I wish I could remove SPORT mode via coding. I have no need for it, and thus no longer use that driving mode.

The problem is the stability control is way too intrusive in SPORT. I find the mode backing off power far too early when accelerating out of a corner. It's basically a waste of time to use this mode. Maybe I'm missing something?

My personal reference for stability system performance derives from Porsche's I've driven. Their system intervenes pretty smoothly and allows a little rotation/slide/slip angle. To date, I compare all other systems to theirs.

While not as sweet as Porsche's system, SPORT+ mode is at least useable. I still think SPORT+ could be more organic, and a bit less intrusive; especially as the most aggressive 'standard' driving mode! This is my quick go-to sporty driving mode when the unplanned occasion arises due to its relatively easy access.

Now that I know my car; I learned that I really want (need?) to have all the stability control completely off for spirited driving. SPORT+ is still putting too much (read: any) damper on the fun... Plus I prefer the linear, non-SPORT throttle map the DSC OFF mode employs. Best yet, SPORT steering weight is still active in this mode.

The problem is accessing what I will call this "alternate" driving mode is slow to enable, and requires the following:
1. Use driving mode switch to activate SPORT mode.
2. Hold down traction control switch (3 sec?) until DSC OFF mode activates.
Note: Technically the vehicle is not in SPORT mode any longer. I submit: One press downward on the mode switch results ECO PRO mode.

My idea of a more-perfect choice of 'standard' driving modes would be:

DSC OFF
SPORT+
COMFORT
ECO PRO

Just an observation...
      07-28-2014, 10:19 PM   #2
DVC
Diligentia Vis Celeritas
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
An LSD helps a lot with reducing DTC (and DSC) intervention.
      07-28-2014, 10:25 PM   #3
KGB_123_99
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '17 330ix M-Sport, '09 528ix

If I'm in a sporty mood I always switch to Sport+ (and DS on the tranny ), never Sport. If Sport+ is enabled on a car, I don't see any reason to use the regular Sport mode either.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2014, 10:34 PM   #4
Vegetable
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M4 MT, 2024 X3MC

Compared to my e92 it seems that, in sport mode, the traction control nanny's are much less intrusive. With the being the case, I don't mid it so much. I use Sport in town/on the highway and sport + when I'm driving on a nice winding road. I have DHP, don't know if that makes a difference.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2014, 11:44 PM   #5
stevehecht
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 328d

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegetable View Post
Compared to my e92 it seems that, in sport mode, the traction control nanny's are much less intrusive. With the being the case, I don't mid it so much. I use Sport in town/on the highway and sport + when I'm driving on a nice winding road. I have DHP, don't know if that makes a difference.
I have DHP enhanced by Dinan Shockware so that makes Comfort mode into what Sport now is, and Sport mode into what might be called a Sport+ damping equivalent. The bottom line is that DSC feels less obtrusive in both of the upgraded Shockware modes even though I know it's still there. I don't know why that would be. Of course the throttle mapping is not affected.

Turning off DSC when in Shockware's new Sport mode is really not very relevant for road driving--that's how good it is. I personally don't feel comfortable driving at 8/10ths+ on back roads in northeast Massachusetts. There's just too many people, driveways, and cars around--even on "back roads"--for me to relax, enjoy, and focus on driving. The only time I was really able to appreciate its benefits was in a controlled driving environment at a BMWCCA event.
      07-29-2014, 07:06 AM   #6
n55x3
Captain
Rep
Drives: n55 BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennQNYC View Post

Now that I know my car; I learned that I really want (need?) to have all the stability control completely off for spirited driving. SPORT+ is still putting too much (read: any) damper on the fun... Plus I prefer the linear, non-SPORT throttle map the DSC OFF mode employs. Best yet, SPORT steering weight is still active in this mode.

The problem is accessing what I will call this "alternate" driving mode is slow to enable, and requires the following:
Note: Technically the vehicle is not in SPORT mode any longer. I submit: One press downward on the mode switch results ECO PRO mode.

DSC OFF
SPORT+
COMFORT
ECO PRO

Just an observation...
I'm with you. I do the long press on the DSC Off button almost every time I get in the car. I can't stand the feeling of the DSC intervening, even in Sport +.

One thing to note, if you long press DSC Off from any mode (Eco, Comfy, Sport) you still get the same results. So no need to switch to Sport first and then long press DSC Off button. I just start the car (default in Comfy mode) and long press DSC Off before I even pull out of my garage. Still have firm suspension (DHP) and tighter steering and a nice linear throttle response, not artificial like Sport +.

While I enjoy all nannies completely off as it allows me to have a little fun I will say at times the eLSD is pretty intrusive. No where near a mechanical setup in the way it engages, or the way it feels when it engages.

The only time I run Sport + is when I want to hear the exhaust burble. I really wish I could get the same burble from DSC Off mode. That's probably my biggest gripe.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2014, 08:10 AM   #7
Gio72
Captain
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegetable View Post
Yes, with DHP there's a different tuning of the EDL to provide more traction in dynamic drive. That what I've been told by Munich...
      07-29-2014, 09:49 AM   #8
Michael Schott
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 VW GTI Sport

Maybe it's different with a 335 vs my 328 but unless the road is slippery or bumpy on a curve, I almost never have the nannies intrude. Maybe I don't drive as hard as you but my technique of smooth application of the throttle increasing through the turn is the fastest and smoothest method. If you are abruptly mashing the throttle, you are overloading the tires, causing them to loose traction and provoking the nannies.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2014, 10:03 AM   #9
Dog Face Pony Soldier
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Schott
Maybe it's different with a 335 vs my 328 but unless the road is slippery or bumpy on a curve, I almost never have the nannies intrude. Maybe I don't drive as hard as you but my technique of smooth application of the throttle increasing through the turn is the fastest and smoothest method. If you are abruptly mashing the throttle, you are overloading the tires, causing them to loose traction and provoking the nannies.
I experience the stability control pulling back power without getting close to losing traction. Just hard cornering under power has the nannies intervening... Especially in SPORT mode.

Maybe the system is calibrated around the OEM run flat tires' traction profile and my Pilot Super Sports need a more aggressive stability control calibration?
      07-29-2014, 10:56 AM   #10
335i_4D
Now in the dark side !
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 911S 997.2 Cab

I do use the Sport mode as often as the Sport+, depends on the occasion.

Had a very slow driver in front of me until a light that allowed a 2-cars left turn.
Did put my car in Sport+, then turned and mashed the throttle just a little too hard.
Car slided too close to the other car for my comfort.

Don't know if you all have xDrive cars, but on my RWD, I don't mind a little nanny once in a while...
2010 X5 35d Black fully loaded (Sold)
2007 335i sedan Antracite (Sold and missed !)
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2014, 11:26 AM   #11
t335xi
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 335xi Sedan Sprt Line ppk

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335i_4D View Post

Had a very slow driver in front of me until a light that allowed a 2-cars left turn.
Did put my car in Sport+, then turned and mashed the throttle just a little too hard.

Don't know if you all have xDrive cars, but on my RWD, I don't mind a little nanny once in a while...
I use sport and sport plus all the time, although I most frequently just use the sport trans mode and leave the fuel mapping alone. Either way I am happy that even in sport + the car stops me from being a total idiot and spinning out. I have an xi though. If I had a rwd and wanted to track it I would be unhappy
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2014, 01:35 PM   #12
munch520
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '14 328i M Sport

For my tastes, Sport is nice. But then again I hate the mushy steering feel in 'comfort'. So once the car's turned on, it goes into sport no matter how I'll be driving.

I'm still new to it so maybe I'll grow tired of it, but I think it's kinda cool to get in and toggle to a different mode. Feels like a preflight checklist!

Then again, I like buttons/fiddling
      07-29-2014, 02:18 PM   #13
snowghost
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 335i M-Sport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335i_4D View Post

Me too. Sometimes you can hit a patch of something and the back will want to slip fast. Also in Sport, I find the car burbles when you let off the gas.
      07-29-2014, 03:00 PM   #14
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

agreed OP, full off + mechanical LSD would be a nice option to have

that said, for the street I think sport+ is a nice compromise. Lets you get the car a bit sideways but provides a bit of safety net for unexpected things on the street (gravel, standing water, etc etx
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2014, 03:32 PM   #15
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 24 Z06, 23 CT4VBW, 22 PFinder

I have an xDrive so it is not completely in line with what you RWD guys are talking about. But, I do like hitting Sport on the freeway or two lane roads for more passing power and than drop back in to Comfort for cruising.

I do like Sport + as well. Even in the xDrive version it lets you get a little bit squirrely.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2014, 06:51 PM   #16
Dog Face Pony Soldier
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz
agreed OP, full off + mechanical LSD would be a nice option to have

that said, for the street I think sport+ is a nice compromise. Lets you get the car a bit sideways but provides a bit of safety net for unexpected things on the street (gravel, standing water, etc etx
I agree SPORT+ mode has it's place... I just don't see the need for SPORT mode when SPORT+ is intrusive enough.
      07-29-2014, 08:52 PM   #17
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
I agree SPORT+ mode has it's place... I just don't see the need for SPORT mode when SPORT+ is intrusive enough.
I like the sport setting when I'm tired and it is wet outside

IMHO, you should get a sportier car that doesn't make many street compromises or start modifying to remove those compromises.

Last edited by nicknaz; 07-29-2014 at 09:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2014, 09:54 PM   #18
Dog Face Pony Soldier
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Quote:
Originally Posted by n55x3
One thing to note, if you long press DSC Off from any mode (Eco, Comfy, Sport) you still get the same results. So no need to switch to Sport first and then long press DSC Off button. I just start the car (default in Comfy mode) and long press DSC Off before I even pull out of my garage. Still have firm suspension (DHP) and tighter steering and a nice linear throttle response, not artificial like Sport +.

While I enjoy all nannies completely off as it allows me to have a little fun I will say at times the eLSD is pretty intrusive. No where near a mechanical setup in the way it engages, or the way it feels when it engages.

The only time I run Sport + is when I want to hear the exhaust burble. I really wish I could get the same burble from DSC Off mode. That's probably my biggest gripe.
Thanks for the contribution... I didn't realize there was no need to engage SPORT mode before holding the traction control button! I tried it today and can confirm there really only one step.

This is actually a significant improvement! Now DSC OFF mode is enabled with only one switch. It may take a long press, but at least I'm not expected to be feeling around for two different buttons.

07-29-2014, 10:51 PM   #19
DVC
Diligentia Vis Celeritas
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
I've been back and forth on this subject a bit over the last six months or so... but at this point, I actually think Sport+ is less useful than Sport or DSC-off. Here's my take on each:

DSC-off/eLSD: Minimal nannies (especially when paired with a mechanical LSD ; )
Great for AutoX, or a track you're comfortable on when you know what you're doing... or for "exploring the friction circle limits" on your favorite roads.

Sport+: Allows for slip angles and a little wheel spin before cutting engine power. There's no actual "stability control" activity in this mode, so from my experience it really doesn't give you any safety net advantages above the eLSD function in DSC-off. It does have the sharper throttle mapping, lack of kick-down switch, and faster auto shifts than DSC-off if you're not using the paddles... none of which are really needed for performance driving IMO.

Sport: Leaves DSC on, so full stability control functionality is retained for times when you're not in full attack mode..e.g. bad weather, or when you're just driving without much of any sporting intent. Steering settings (and chassis settings for those of us with DHP) can be configured for either "Comfort" or "Sport".
Personally, this is my standard go-to mode whenever I start the car, usually with chassis set to Sport, driveline set to Normal. (I always use paddle shifters anyway, so auto shift speed doesn't really matter to me.) For daily driving I don't usually find it to be too invasive - especially since getting an LSD.

Comfort mode I only engage briefly, for the benefit of softer damper settings, on bumpy roads... and EcoPro mode is really more of a novelty.

Last edited by DVC; 07-29-2014 at 11:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2014, 11:30 PM   #20
M-Powa!
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i Msport/ SQ5

Perhaps I'm just too new to my car but, I find regardless of the mode the car feels big. I love the power and sound of the engine but in turns I can't help but notice how the car is kind of lazy. I don't really have any other words to describe it.

Overall here's my break down of the modes

ECO: It's great for those slow days but I likewise find issue in that in any emergency scenario the car will scoot slower than a mini van.
Comfort: IMHO this gives the car the most natural feel. The steering doesn't feel un-necessarily heavy and the throttle doesn't feel like a sprint booster is attatched. Only issue is the steering does feel slightly numbed a bit.
Sport/Sport+: I feel this just tries to give the car a sporty feeling at the cost of being very artificial. The throttle response becomes overly touchy and the steering becomes too heavy.

Perhaps I haven't experimented with the car very much but I honestly still prefer the way my mk6 drives. Apart from the lack of umph, sound, and slight extra cabin refinement; I feel my mk6 drives more naturally. Though I listed the same issues with my mk6 when I just bought it lol

Last edited by M-Powa!; 07-29-2014 at 11:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2014, 06:43 AM   #21
Gio72
Captain
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Competition

According to me, there's a relevant different in handling between F30/31 and F32: the front-wheels of the latter is stiffer and more precise and reactive.
Moreover, the riduced height limits the roll.
Those are my impressions after driving both F30 and F32 on track.

Remember that the front suspensions of F32 have wider camber and caster angles than F30/31.

Said that, I prefer the heaviness of the steering in Sport/Sport+/DSC Off mode than in Confort, while I appreciate more the soft throttle response in DSC Off.
For me Sport mode is the less useful, while the program I use more often on my Dolomites streets is Sport+

I use DSC Off only in same circumstances (in case of good way outs...) and always on track.

Last edited by Gio72; 07-30-2014 at 06:50 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2014, 09:41 AM   #22
Dr.HiTcH
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW f30 335i sport

Cool

Quote:
I wish I could remove SPORT mode via coding. I have no need for it, and thus no longer use that driving mode.

The problem is the stability control is way too intrusive in SPORT. I find the mode backing off power far too early when accelerating out of a corner. It's basically a waste of time to use this mode. Maybe I'm missing something?

My personal reference for stability system performance derives from Porsche's I've driven. Their system intervenes pretty smoothly and allows a little rotation/slide/slip angle. To date, I compare all other systems to theirs.

While not as sweet as Porsche's system, SPORT+ mode is at least useable. I still think SPORT+ could be more organic, and a bit less intrusive; especially as the most aggressive 'standard' driving mode! This is my quick go-to sporty driving mode when the unplanned occasion arises due to its relatively easy access.

DSC OFF
SPORT+
COMFORT
ECO PRO

Just an observation...
i actually noticed that when i change the OEM RF goodyears to pilot super sport the traction control interven a lot more!! which is strange!
because the traction from the super sport is a lot better..
the super sport really shines in DSC off mode
sorry to leave the main topic
i prefer the DSC off for really sport driving when im alone on the streets and no cars near me ;D
but while im near some cars i go for SPORT and SPORT + for safety reasons
Appreciate 0