F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Third visit to the dealer since February :(
Studio RSR

07-28-2014, 05:49 PM   #1
stormlv
Human
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: Yes

Unhappy Third visit to the dealer since February :(

As the title stated this is my third visit to the dealership since I got my car.

Today's points on my agenda were:

1) the car keeps pulling to the right (3rd time i come in for this problem)
2) launch control is not working
3) trunk doesn't close properly (I have to slam it to close)
4) weird odors get in the cabin with the sunroof open
5) oil change

1 and 2 were the ones I was really interested in (especially 1).

The car pulls to the right, not much, but it's enough to be annoying.
Each of the three times I got the car in for this problem it was also confirmed by their technician.
The first time I got it in, they kept it for a day, after which they told me that they don't have the specs for the 435d alignment geometry...
I didn't really understand why they didn't check this before asking me to bring it in, but no matter.
The second time I left them the car, they had the specs, they did the tests, everything was in specs and "very minor adjustments were made". The car still pulled to the right.
Today, I asked them to look at it again, they confirmed that it pulls to the right, but other than checking the alignment again, they don't really know what to do In any case, I was scheduled for a new visit next week (it will have been the 4th)...

Regarding launch control, they told me that they "tested it" (which I'll come back to in a moment) and it's indeed not there, but the reason why I don't have it is because, I don't have the sports automatic transmission... I was told that both the "technician" and the "head of the shop" concluded that.
I have no idea what kind of bozos they employ there, but this is obviously untrue. I provided them with the options list (http://www.bmwarchive.org/vin/f800300.pdf) as well as told them that I have the paddle shifters and the sports gear lever which only come with the sports auto. They then said that they'll have to check with BMW since, again, they have no idea what's wrong.
Coming back to the way they tested it... I told them exactly how *I* tested it (as per manual) and when I inquired how they tested it they told me that they got the engine warm and tried it. When I told them about having to drive at least 6 miles un-interrupted for it to work anyway, they said that it's "either 6miles of un-interrupted driving or warm engine". This again is wrong... They also tested it 2 times (probably because one time isn't fun enough).

In any case, I'm now starting to wonder whether I do really have the sports software on my tranny or maybe it's just the launch control which hasn't been activated (I know for instance that for the M cars this needs to be activated on the first 1200mile service). When I asked, they didn't know what to tell me, other than that they'll contact BMW :|

BTW...how long would activating launch control (or updating the transmission software) would take? I was told that they have to keep it for two days because of this...

Anyway, each time I'm having to talk to them it's really frustrating since I seem to know more about my car than they do.
(Like for example that there was a service bulletin allowing me to turn ASS to default to last position used, or the proper way to try launch control, or that I have the sports transmission)
2010 BMW Z4 sDrive35i DKG | 306 HP / 400Nm | Space Gray | Photo album
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2014, 06:07 PM   #2
FC4
Brigadier General
Rep

So the car needs an alignment and an oil change...and? The rest are nitpicks.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2014, 06:19 PM   #3
stormlv
Human
Switzerland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC4 View Post
So the car needs an alignment and an oil change...and? The rest are nitpicks.

What bothers me is how they deal with the issues (showing incompetence)

Also, the alignment was made according to specs and still pulls to the right.

Besides venting, I thought that someone might have had similar issues and post a helpful reply...

Lastly, on a car that here, costs 100k CHF (110k USD) I would think I'm allowed to nitpick.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2014, 06:28 PM   #4
FC4
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormlv View Post
Lastly, on a car that here, costs 100k CHF (110k USD) I would think I'm allowed to nitpick.
That argument is used over and over again. It's played out.

Using the same logic, are you twice as entitled to nitpick as the guy who paid half the price for a lightly-optioned 420i (or whatever cheap lawnmower-powered options you guys have in Europe). Additionally, if someone got a few more options than you, would his nitpicks be more valid? What about someone who buys a Rolls Royce Phantom?
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2014, 06:38 PM   #5
t335xi
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 335xi Sedan Sprt Line ppk

Get used to it. I got mine brand new and after 30k miles it has had many different problems, and not just in the first few months. Most recently a week ago my SRS module shorted out and needed to be replaced.

Nice thing is its under warranty and always fixed for free. I'm definitely not keeping this car post 50k mi warranty though.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2014, 06:47 PM   #6
DJ Rocc
Major
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: BMW 428i Gran Coupe (2015)

Quote:
As the title stated this is my third visit to the dealership since I got my car.

5) oil change

Each of the three times I got the car in for this problem it was also confirmed by their technician.
The first time I got it in, they kept it for a day, after which they told me that they don't have the specs for the 435d alignment geometry...
I didn't really understand why they didn't check this before asking me to bring it in, but no matter.
The second time I left them the car, they had the specs, they did the tests, everything was in specs and "very minor adjustments were made". The car still pulled to the right.
Today, I asked them to look at it again, they confirmed that it pulls to the right, but other than checking the alignment again, they don't really know what to do In any case, I was scheduled for a new visit next week (it will have been the 4th)...

Regarding launch control, they told me that they "tested it" (which I'll come back to in a moment) and it's indeed not there, but the reason why I don't have it is because, I don't have the sports automatic transmission... I was told that both the "technician" and the "head of the shop" concluded that.
I have no idea what kind of bozos they employ there, but this is obviously untrue. I provided them with the options list (http://www.bmwarchive.org/vin/f800300.pdf) as well as told them that I have the paddle shifters and the sports gear lever which only come with the sports auto. They then said that they'll have to check with BMW since, again, they have no idea what's wrong.
Coming back to the way they tested it... I told them exactly how *I* tested it (as per manual) and when I inquired how they tested it they told me that they got the engine warm and tried it. When I told them about having to drive at least 6 miles un-interrupted for it to work anyway, they said that it's "either 6miles of un-interrupted driving or warm engine". This again is wrong... They also tested it 2 times (probably because one time isn't fun enough).

In any case, I'm now starting to wonder whether I do really have the sports software on my tranny or maybe it's just the launch control which hasn't been activated (I know for instance that for the M cars this needs to be activated on the first 1200mile service). When I asked, they didn't know what to tell me, other than that they'll contact BMW :|

BTW...how long would activating launch control (or updating the transmission software) would take? I was told that they have to keep it for two days because of this...

Anyway, each time I'm having to talk to them it's really frustrating since I seem to know more about my car than they do.
(Like for example that there was a service bulletin allowing me to turn ASS to default to last position used, or the proper way to try launch control, or that I have the sports transmission)
Sorry to hear about your problems! I thought We were the only ones that had incompetent service people. Here in Jamaica, when you take your car for service, you Always have to take it back for them to correct something!!
My Ride! : 2015 428i GC (F36) - MSport, Alpine, Black Leather, MBrakes, Adaptive, Sport Seats, Hex. Alum w/Piano, HK Sound, 400m's, Comfort Acc. When I’m not Driving: https://youtube.com/shorts/ViKD_Hj5htE?feature=share
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2014, 06:53 PM   #7
DJ Rocc
Major
Jamaica
Rep

Quote:

5) oil change

Quote:

Using the same logic, are you twice as entitled to nitpick as the guy who paid half the price for a lightly-optioned 420i (or whatever cheap lawnmower-powered options you guys have in Europe). Additionally, if someone got a few more options than you, would his nitpicks be more valid? What about someone who buys a Rolls Royce Phantom?
I don't think he is at all nitpicking, you pay for a premium car you should get premium service.

I know how you feel stormlv, I always seem more knowledgeable than service staff, and these vehicles are priced the same way here too! $$ are dollars, the more $$ you spend, the more you expect from the product and service.
My Ride! : 2015 428i GC (F36) - MSport, Alpine, Black Leather, MBrakes, Adaptive, Sport Seats, Hex. Alum w/Piano, HK Sound, 400m's, Comfort Acc. When I’m not Driving: https://youtube.com/shorts/ViKD_Hj5htE?feature=share
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2014, 06:59 PM   #8
snowghost
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 335i M-Sport 6MT

Quote:

LOL You are allowed to nitpick with a lawnmower-powered one as well.
      07-28-2014, 07:06 PM   #9
DJ Rocc
Major
Jamaica
Rep

Quote:

5) oil change

With the alignment, have you checked the following:

1. Steering wheel center ok?
2. Rim not bent?
3. All tires are proper inflation and balanced?
4. Check all steering linkages and bushings on control arms.
You say misalignment is slight, so even something like a bushing that's not pressed all the way on, can cause it.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2014, 11:53 PM   #10
CLittle
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i Luxury

I think for the car pulling right, the service tech needs to rotate the tires to check for tire pull before doing alignment checks. My car had minor tire pull and rotating the tires fixed the issue.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2014, 12:59 AM   #11
stormlv
Human
Switzerland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Rocc View Post
With the alignment, have you checked the following:

1. Steering wheel center ok?
2. Rim not bent?
3. All tires are proper inflation and balanced?
4. Check all steering linkages and bushings on control arms.
You say misalignment is slight, so even something like a bushing that's not pressed all the way on, can cause it.
Thanks for the suggestions.

1) Steering wheel wasn't dead center, but was fixed in my second visit.
2) The rims should be ok. It did this when it was new, and I don't feel any vibration at high speed.
3) Check
4) I'll tell them this on next week's visit

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLittle View Post
I think for the car pulling right, the service tech needs to rotate the tires to check for tire pull before doing alignment checks. My car had minor tire pull and rotating the tires fixed the issue.
I also thought of this. I'll suggest doing this as well on my next visit.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2014, 02:41 AM   #12
Duggy
Rep
Drives: The "clonk mobile"

Quote:
Originally Posted by t335xi View Post
Get used to it. I got mine brand new and after 30k miles it has had many different problems, and not just in the first few months. Most recently a week ago my SRS module shorted out and needed to be replaced.

Nice thing is its under warranty and always fixed for free. I'm definitely not keeping this car post 50k mi warranty though.
^

This.

Get VERY used to it going to the dealers. It feels like mine lives there - far more than any other car I've had.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2014, 03:12 AM   #13
stormlv
Human
Switzerland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duggy View Post
^

This.

Get VERY used to it going to the dealers. It feels like mine lives there - far more than any other car I've had.
Ih, sorry to hear that :|
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2014, 11:57 AM   #14
Christos
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 Z4 s3.0 Msport

Quote:

5) oil change

I have #4 only, any idea what the odors are?
      07-29-2014, 12:43 PM   #15
stormlv
Human
Switzerland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christos View Post
They said that everything was ok :|
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2014, 12:45 PM   #16
DJ Rocc
Major
Jamaica
Rep

Quote:
I believe I have read in other threads, that it seems to be the Lubricating Grease for the Sunroof giving off that smell.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2014, 07:33 PM   #17
Christos
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I believe I have read in other threads, that it seems to be the Lubricating Grease for the Sunroof giving off that smell.
I checked that out over the weekend , there is a lot of beige grease on the sunroof tracks, but I also smell the same odor in the engine bay
      07-29-2014, 08:03 PM   #18
DJ Rocc
Major
Jamaica
Rep

Quote:
I checked that out over the weekend , there is a lot of beige grease on the sunroof tracks, but I also smell the same odor in the engine bay
Could be the same grease is used somewhere in the engine compartment as well.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2014, 02:04 AM   #19
stormlv
Human
Switzerland
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I climbed up my seat and started smelling everything around the sunroof and to me it definitely doesn't smell like that grease.

It's like something that's coming from the engine bay, but I really can't place the smell.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2014, 06:12 AM   #20
Christos
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I climbed up my seat and started smelling everything around the sunroof and to me it definitely doesn't smell like that grease.

It's like something that's coming from the engine bay, but I really can't place the smell.
I did the same and agree with you
      08-02-2014, 08:00 AM   #21
DJ Rocc
Major
Jamaica
Rep

:
Quote:
I did the same and agree with you
Does it smell like burnt plastic?

Maybe it's BMW's version of the Mercedes Air freshener thingy? J/k.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2014, 04:41 PM   #22
CHCCubs
Colonel
Latvia
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328i xDrive Sport

Quote:
It's either that or cosmoline which is put on the car before it is shipped from the factory. In either case it will go away after a month or two. I had the same smell with the sunroof open when I first got my car but it went away after a month or so of using the sunroof regularly.

2013 BMW 328i xDrive Sport Line
Mineral Grey on Everest Grey
Appreciate 0