Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > USA - California

07-26-2014, 02:18 AM   #1
M2Crew
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Black M4 on the Golden Gate tonight - was that you?

At about 10PM, I turned onto Lombard/101 to get onto the bridge; I'm in cruise mode with the windows down, so I'm driving slow. Guy behind me aggressively moves to the left and overtakes - as he passes me, I hear the characteristic BRRAAAPP! of an F8x car being shifted at high RPM. M4! Now I'm out of cruise mode. I try to catch up, but the M4 is seriously moving. The road leading to the bridge there is very curvy; he took the turns at speeds that genuinely impressed me. The car looked extremely composed despite the chicane-like twists and the rapid pace. I found it challenging to keep up.

If that was you, kudos on the incredible driving and persuasive demo. I was in the red F430.

Glad to have my order in.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2014, 08:45 PM   #2
onatuesday
Captain
Rep
Drives: Hyundai

Did you catch him as he entered the tunnel?

I hope you're planning on adding a M4 to the stable , not that you're trading in your f430 for one.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2014, 01:52 PM   #3
M2Crew
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by trinim3 View Post
Did you catch him as he entered the tunnel?

I hope you're planning on adding a M4 to the stable , not that you're trading in your f430 for one.
I did. He slowed down to make room for me to play some Italian music, which I did, gears two through four.

Yes, the F82 is slated to live alongside the F430 for daily driver duties. I did pick up my fifth E46 M3 yesterday; I'm considering holding off on the M4 until the competition package/LCI release.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2014, 03:30 PM   #4
onatuesday
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mashoutposse View Post
I did. He slowed down to make room for me to play some Italian music, which I did, gears two through four.

Yes, the F82 is slated to live alongside the F430 for daily driver duties. I did pick up my fifth E46 M3 yesterday; I'm considering holding off on the M4 until the competition package/LCI release.
I do love me some Italian music. I still distinctly remember the tingle up my spine every time I drove the f430 underneath an overpass (much less a tunnel). Were you able to hear the M4 over the thunder of the f430 in a tunnel?

Five e46 M3s. that is mighty impressive. I only had one and I still insist it was the best all-around car ever made. My M4 arrives this week and I'm still undecided on if I'll actually keep it or not. I've been waiting 3 years for it and it seems silly to give it up now having waited so long, but like you I don't need one right this minute. I was hoping to be one of the first to have one and then I'd definitely would have taken it, but now that I'm second wave, the WOW factor needs to make up for the lack of novelty factor...and I'm not sure I'm convinced after my brief test drive a few weeks ago. Certainly first world problems though.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2014, 10:23 PM   #5
M2Crew
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by trinim3 View Post
I do love me some Italian music. I still distinctly remember the tingle up my spine every time I drove the f430 underneath an overpass (much less a tunnel). Were you able to hear the M4 over the thunder of the f430 in a tunnel?

Five e46 M3s. that is mighty impressive. I only had one and I still insist it was the best all-around car ever made. My M4 arrives this week and I'm still undecided on if I'll actually keep it or not. I've been waiting 3 years for it and it seems silly to give it up now having waited so long, but like you I don't need one right this minute. I was hoping to be one of the first to have one and then I'd definitely would have taken it, but now that I'm second wave, the WOW factor needs to make up for the lack of novelty factor...and I'm not sure I'm convinced after my brief test drive a few weeks ago. Certainly first world problems though.
I couldn't hear the M4 at all. I thought he wasn't coming after me, but he blew by me right afterwards.

I've test driven the F8x multiple times - I love it. I'm not sure there's a big enough gap in my current lineup for the M4 to fill. I've already got my daily and fun car situations set.

Still, the M4 impressed me enough to make me think seriously about having it as my only car. It does the Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde thing very well.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2014, 02:35 PM   #6
fusionchicken
Captain
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, Z4M Roadster

Quote:
Loves it.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2014, 02:44 PM   #7
carlos@velosdesignwerks
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW M4

Quote:
Awesome. I love the terminology.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2014, 09:13 AM   #8
M2Crew
First Lieutenant
Rep

Appreciate 0
      07-31-2014, 01:24 PM   #9
onatuesday
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Tom Lantos/Devil's slide tunnel! DROOOOOOL, my favorite place on this earth.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2014, 03:32 PM   #10
M2Crew
First Lieutenant
Rep

That's Mexico.
Appreciate 0