F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Describe your vehicle closing experience
Studio RSR

07-25-2014, 08:23 AM   #1
karupspc
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW

Describe your vehicle closing experience

Hello all

Please describe your vehicle closing experience when picking up your BMW from dealership. Did the sales guy make it a special experience with the car in the showroom or was it just out front in parking lot then he described the features then off you go?
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2014, 08:31 AM   #2
Hernandiaz11
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2014 435i M-Sport 6-Speed

My car was in the showroom when I arrived to the dealership. I received a congratulations from a few of the employees working that day. It was about as special/spectacular as I expected.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2014, 08:55 AM   #3
Fanitron
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i xDrive Sport Line

Garage List
Picked mine up about a month ago. It was parked in the delivery center. The Delivery person gave me a quick tour around the vehicle (comfort access). Then we got in and he helped me set up BMW Assist and connect my bluetooth. Also took the time to go over most of the features of iDrive and Nav. Then took me inside to meet the Sales Manager who gave me a bag of goodies (air freshener, seat-back hook and soccer ball).

Overall the experience was very enjoyable and definitely made me feel like I made a good choice of dealership for the purchase.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2014, 09:00 AM   #4
Tony_YYZ
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: It has 4 wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanitron View Post
Picked mine up about a month ago. It was parked in the delivery center. The Delivery person gave me a quick tour around the vehicle (comfort access). Then we got in and he helped me set up BMW Assist and connect my bluetooth. Also took the time to go over most of the features of iDrive and Nav. Then took me inside to meet the Sales Manager who gave me a bag of goodies (air freshener, seat-back hook and soccer ball).

Overall the experience was very enjoyable and definitely made me feel like I made a good choice of dealership for the purchase.
Which dealer was this?
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2014, 09:01 AM   #5
Fanitron
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i xDrive Sport Line

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony_YYZ View Post
Which dealer was this?
BMW Autohaus on Steeles. Funny thing is I had read a lot of bad reviews about them, but my personal experience was top notch.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2014, 09:05 AM   #6
Halsifer
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi RS7

The guy just sold me the car, not really much else. He did not setup my bluetooth. He did not show me Comfort Access. Actually, the only thing he showed me was the manual and how it was built into the iDrive. Then for some reason, he turn the Treble and Bass all the way up, which I later corrected and sent me on my way. I setup my bluetooth by myself (no big deal) and as I drove away, I was trying to figure out how the car worked.

I began driving off the dealer and was on the phone, kinda fiddling with the iDrive (because the scroll wheel is opposite than Audi's, so I had to get used to it). Then my steering wheel starting vibrating and I didn't even know what that meant. Later that evening, a little red car picture came up on the HUD as someone cut me off. I didn't know I had Auto High Beams either. Didn't learn about the trunk kick thing until I say the little label inside the trunk.

Anyways, long story short. I learned nothing from the dealer other than to put the car manual booklet in the trunk. I think he was tired. I learned all the other features by fiddling around with it for a week. Have to admit though, it's pretty exciting every time I found a new feature on the car I didn't know I had, haha.
2014 BMW 335i xDrive M-Sport [Sold]
2010 Audi A6 3.0T [Sold]
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2014, 09:19 AM   #7
OC40
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i MSport + MPS/MPPK

Garage List
2013 MINI S  [0.00]
2013 BMW 335i  [0.00]
My car was elevated above the showroom with spot lights placed strategically in its direction. It was slowly spinning for everyone to see. The employees chanted my name and formed a human tunnel for me to run through. When I exited, Morgan Freeman was there to congratulate me and to explain how the car was built specifically for me (in the VOICE). Suddenly, Iron Man arrived through the roof. He gently lowered my car while the employees and Morgan Freeman continued to chant my name. They took a picture of me next to my car. A life size, solid platinum mural of the picture was created and it was placed inside the showroom for everyone to see. It was...special.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2014, 09:21 AM   #8
ontheway
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F31 MSport 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC40 View Post
A life size, solid platinum mural of the picture was created and it was placed inside the showroom for everyone to see. It was...special.
I took you seriously until I realised (realized) that you weren't encased in carbonite... bit cheap...
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2014, 09:25 AM   #9
carzaddict
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 Cadillac Escalade ESV

i had a rather bitter sweet experience.

In the midst of dealing with the salesman via phone/text over the course of a week....he ended up quitting and handed me over to a new sales man. (no big deal)

I get to the dealership....they had the car parked outside...they didnt want to put a front license plate because they didnt want to ruin the sexy look (thats nice of them). The new salesman was kind of a slow older guy who didnt really know too much about the car...thus I did not get a tour of the car. It was end of day, the place was empty so i roamed around the dealership while they finished my paperwork

they pass me to the finance manager...and he ended up being a complete douche. he had such a sourpuss face. I asked if they could throw in a t-shirt to sweeten the deal....he declined it.

and then the car broke down an hour later when i got home (but thats has nothing to do with the dealership experience......but kind of put a damper on my day)
      07-25-2014, 09:54 AM   #10
Mr. Big
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '15 M4, '17 Porsche 911

My whole delivery experience was ruined by the high-pressure tactics of the F&I person trying to sell me the extended warranty and tire warranty. Every time I told him "no," he kept asking "why." After answering for the 6th time I was really starting to get pissed off so I told him not to ask me again. By that time I just wanted to get out of there and I told my SA I wanted to leave and not to worry about showing me how the car works. Worst buying experience ever.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2014, 09:59 AM   #11
chiefneil
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M-Sport

My dealer has a special glass-enclosed room with a fully openable exterior wall (for driving out) where they do new car deliveries. The room is right up front so everybody can your brand-new, freshly detailed car ready to go. For our X5 we got delivery in that room and CA offered to take me through all the features.

When my F30 was delivered somebody else was using the room so my car was delivered outside, but it was parked on the patio display area with other new cars. I just wanted to get going and the CA knew it was my 5th BMW, so I just took the keys and said cya. Oh, he did snap a couple photos of me in front of the car and emailed them over
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2014, 10:14 AM   #12
DC X3M40i
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 M40i

After trying to figure out what the hell was taking my car so long to be delivered from the VPC I was finallly able to speak with the sales manager who promptly made arrangements for me to get the vehicle.
I showed up at the agreed upon time and was greeted in the parking lot by the sales guy that sold me the car. Was ushered in.. offered a beverage... and then he set me up with a "BMW Genius" named Joe (who was very very helpful) I guess he was kinda like one of those Apple employees who know all the techie stuff abt the car. He walked me through almost every little detail of the vehicle while my ppwk was being prepped inside.
He was very thorough and went above and beyond. I had to wait abt 15 minutes for the finance mgr to complete another transaction before i was ushered in. he did not try to hard sell me the extended warranties and coverages. (although i did inquire abt the tire and wheel protection) it was too expensive and they didn't want to budge. But it was all very quick and painless and in abt 2 hours total time from when i arrived..i was rolling off the lot in my new 335i Xdrive.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2014, 10:15 AM   #13
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i M-Sport

Oh man my closing experience....

I show up and there's my car in the inspection bay looking amazing, the bay was an all glass enclosure next to the showroom where the prepped cars that are being delivered await pick up and also where cars awaiting to proceed going into the service bay will sit. My SA walked me around it and let me sit in it. I knew I still had to actually talk to the F&I guy and sign the paperwork so I wanted to get that process going so I could get outta there and enjoy my car.

I go talk to him, I had met him before when I placed my order. Tall, nerdy looking guy with a bow-tie. We go into his office and start talking. Now I have no idea how this happened but we started getting into politics, which is unprofessional but I thought, whatever. Since I have a background in finance and economics he was talking in terms of economic policy and even though I disagreed with him on many aspects, I agreed with him and kind of stroked his ego a bit and kind of doing the whole "finishing his sentence" thing to let him know I not only agreed with him but knew what he was talking about.

As the conversation went on, I could tell where it was going. He was one of those guys who thought there was a conspiracy under way to get a one world government underway with a single global currency in an effort to exert total political and economical control over the entire planet. Not making that shit up. I AGREED with this guy and he went on and on about how I was very wise for my age (I'm 29, going on 30 here next week...joy).

Anyway, we talked for about an hour and a half about nothing related to signing contracts or even what my payment would be (having a background in finance it'd of been embarrassing if I didn't know what that amount would be before I even set foot in the dealership). We just went on and on about this guy's crazy government conspiracy.

When we finally change subjects to talking business and doing his whole sales pitch of additional services, we come to why I agreed with him in a convincing manner for the past 90 minutes of my life. It was easy for me to say no and the only service that I DID want to buy (wheel and tire protection) I had him give to me at a crazy discount, no questions asked with no push back no pressure at all. All of the math worked out, payments came out to what they should be, I signed the paper work and was all done after that.

Afterwards we shook hands, he said it was the most engaging deal he's ever closed and thanked me for taking the time to just talk with him about things other than car contracts and monthly payments. I went in and said goodbye to my SA (who was awesome by the way) and wished them all a good night since by the time we had finished talking, it was closing time. My last stop after that was meeting the sales manager who congratulated me on my purchase and was very courteous and friendly. My SA offered to help me set up my Bluetooth connectivity but told him I could figure it out, he then told me that I'd have to contact BMW Assist the following day since they were currently closed so he couldn't do it at the dealership and that all I had to do was go somewhere where a satellite could track me (i.e. out in the open) and press the S.O.S. button so I did that the next day.

That F&I guy was one of the most odd people I've ever met, but he was a nice guy and did know a bit about economic theory...just that he was a complete tin foil hat kinda guy.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2014, 10:22 AM   #14
300hp
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: X5 & 335xi

I always buy my cars 2 to 3 weeks in advance of when I need to pick them up. For my 2011 X5 the dealer had given me the keys to another X5 and told me to take it for a drive and bring it back when I was done. By the time I picked my car up nothing needed to be done, he showed me a couple of things and off I went. For my 13 335i the car was waiting outside and I just signed the papers and went my way. A couple of people said it was a nice car and some took pictures. This was Dec 2012 so msports were still making their way into dealerships. My 2013 X5 was probably the most unremarkable experience. He just drove up and handed me the keys. However he knew he had to deliver my 2014 335i in a few weeks so maybe that's why it played out like that. I picked up my 2014 335i when it was raining so things didn't play out as planned but we both knew I knew the car very well.

Deep Sea Blue Metallic 2013 X5 35d Sport
Prem, Convenience, Cold and Premium Sound packages
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2014, 10:23 AM   #15
chiefneil
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by fecurtis View Post
That F&I guy was one of the most odd people I've ever met, but he was a nice guy and did know a bit about economic theory...just that he was a complete tin foil hat kinda guy.
That's a hilarious story!

My last two F&I guys were completely different. The one for our X5 sized me up within 5 minutes. He told me their list prices, then said he'd just show me their bottom line prices for everything, which was about 40% off. We ended up getting window tint and ding protection from him, the whole process probably took 20 minutes.

The second F&I guy for my F30 also sized me up but in the opposite way. He refused to discount anything and assumed I didn't want to buy anything because of that. He was totally right, but if he'd discounted the tint and ding protection I probably would have gotten those again. So again I was done in 20 minutes (as fast as he could print stuff for me to sign) and out the door with no add-ons.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2014, 10:38 AM   #16
Dan_335i
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i EBII MSport

My car buying experiance was so romantic. More romantic then with my gf
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2014, 10:40 AM   #17
300hp
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: X5 & 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_335i
My car buying experiance was so romantic. More romantic then with my gf
I hope your CA had double Ds, lol

I almost bought an S4 since the girl I was in touch with was hot, fortunately my big brain made the decision

Deep Sea Blue Metallic 2013 X5 35d Sport
Prem, Convenience, Cold and Premium Sound packages
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2014, 10:52 AM   #18
MickAv8r
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 EBII 328ix

My CA called me in the morning to tell me the car was rolling off the truck and did I want to pick up the car that day. Yes. He called me back several times in the afternoon saying the dealership had to detail the car and mount the front license plate frame so they could put the inspection sticker on it. I fought back since that was expressly against my wishes. DO NOT WASH, DO NOT DRILL BUMPER. His bosses were insisting but he fought them off for me.

When I got to the dealership the car was parked out front in the condition I demanded. Was amazed at how nervous they were about delivering it without washing it LOL. (its because the post delivery survey from BMW NA specifically asks if the car is washed).

My CA went over the car with me (another thing the BMW NA survey demands btw), set up the nav and then took the car to fill the tank while I waited, and waited and waited and waited to see the Finance Manager to finalize the paperwork. Got there at 5PM and didn't get out of there until 7PM but overall the experience was about what I expected.

Had to go back a day or two later because they fucked up all the financing paperwork and I had to sign new ones (got my name backwards and a few other issues, deal itself did not change, just fat fingered the original).

2014 328ix EBII - Sport AT, Light Pkg, Blk Dakota, Moonroof, Navigation, Heated Seats, HK Audio, Driver Assist, Sport Pedals, Dinan Springs, Bilstein B8s, M-Performance BBK
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2014, 10:57 AM   #19
Tony_YYZ
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: It has 4 wheels

I never understand why dealerships don't discount the add-ons more often. It basically comes down to that they'd rather make no money than slightly less money.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2014, 11:02 AM   #20
munch520
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '14 328i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefneil View Post
My dealer has a special glass-enclosed room with a fully openable exterior wall (for driving out) where they do new car deliveries. The room is right up front so everybody can your brand-new, freshly detailed car ready to go. For our X5 we got delivery in that room and CA offered to take me through all the features.

When my F30 was delivered somebody else was using the room so my car was delivered outside, but it was parked on the patio display area with other new cars. I just wanted to get going and the CA knew it was my 5th BMW, so I just took the keys and said cya. Oh, he did snap a couple photos of me in front of the car and emailed them over
Same here it was great to have it out and on display.

I get there, he walks me over to the car and my wife and I ooohhh and ahhhh over it for a few minutes then we go back to my CAs desk to set up BMW assist. This went pretty quick, and finance took over then. Great surprise, $25 a month less than originally quoted and a couple hundred less down, so nice surprise. The CA then takes me back over to go over the car with me (setup bluetooth phone, preferences, etc), he knew I was an enthusiast and forum guy so he gave me the sparknotes version and sent me on my way. Took an hour or so.

Only part I didn't like is how finance tries to push warranties, sealants, etc. on you while you're closing. It isn't a bait and switch but it almost feels that way. Oh well I'm sure some people take advantage of those options so that's cool.

Great overall experience, best I've ever had buying a car.
      07-25-2014, 11:05 AM   #21
kapkanimd
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M8 Competition Gran Coupe

I made my deal via text messages, arrived at the dealership, signed the papers which he already prepared, got in my car and was gone. Took about 30 minutes for the whole deal, didn't even see a finance manager, just signed everything in my sales guy's office. I was in a hurry, but kinda wish I had taken the time for some explanation, but I have figured everything out.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2014, 11:19 AM   #22
Desi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 435i M-Sport X-Drive

I've had two BMW delivery experiences:

April of 2007 I bought an E90 323i from the local dealer. They are actually the first BMW dealer in Canada and have a glass delivery room set up beside the showroom with the first two BMW's ever to be registered in Canada in there as well. Walked into the dealer, saw the F&I guy, declined everything with no-pressure, and then the SA gave me a comprehensive rundown of everything on the car. All in all, great experience.

What really blew me away was the May 2014 delivery of my 2014 435i. I went out of town to get the best possible deal, so the day started with a 4 hour train ride to Toronto. Got a lift to the dealership (BMW Toronto) from a buddy, and from the moment we walked in we both walked in, we were treated amazingly. This place pushes crazy volume so they had delivery experts that do nothing else. We went up to the 5th-floor delivery area where my car was stage parked backed up to a window with a cityscape view. Sat down on a couple of couches near the car and finalized all the paperwork before the delivery rep went through a full rundown of the car. The three of us jumped in the car and the rep drove it into an elevator that took us to ground level outside where I was handed met by my SA who gave me a gift bag of cleaning supplies and a $50-gift card for BMW Lifestyle stuff. After that, I hit the road and booted it back 500km home taking the twisty smaller highways with a big stupid grin on my face the entire way.