F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Carpal tunnel syndrome- ooh my bloody arm.
Studio RSR

07-22-2014, 07:49 AM   #1
Tom Tallon
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 335 XDRIVE

Carpal tunnel syndrome- ooh my bloody arm.

A bit off the subject of F30s although it could affect your driving but has anyone experienced this painful ailment either personally or via a relation.

Numb fingers, pain in hand and lower arm, pins and needles and worst at night - no sleep!

How did you get rid of it as ibuprofen and other pills don't work. Anyone used a wrist splint at night ( and keep it clean in replies boys!).
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2014, 07:58 AM   #2
moonshine
Lieutenant Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 718 Boxster S

what do you want to know?
My wife is an orthopaedic surgeon with a sub-speciality in lower arm and hand - she frequently performs carpel tunnel surgery procedures to relieve symptoms - i can ask her if you have any general questions -
I'd guess if it is problematic, see your GP and get a referral to physio or an Orthopaedic clinic for an assessment of the specific problem and cause
HTH
Gerry
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2014, 08:08 AM   #3
vikz55
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 428i M-Sport Convertible

I'm a GP and seeing your own GP if your first port of call.

Wrist splints can help night time symptoms and a stronger anti-inflammatories like Naproxen might help.

If not next step would usually be a steroid injection - some GP's can do this - others will need to refer you to an ortho surgeon (a surgical release is the final option but you would usually try the others first)

Best of luck.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2014, 08:12 AM   #4
Tom Tallon
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshine View Post
what do you want to know?
My wife is an orthopaedic surgeon with a sub-speciality in lower arm and hand - she frequently performs carpel tunnel surgery procedures to relieve symptoms - i can ask her if you have any general questions -
I'd guess if it is problematic, see your GP and get a referral to physio or an Orthopaedic clinic for an assessment of the specific problem and cause
HTH
Gerry
Thanks Gerry

facts are

Have seen GP and she was very unsure about my problem . Gave me ibuprofen
And paracetamol which don't work .

Next step is a consultation with a physiotherapist by timed telephone appointment tomorrow. Not sure if your wife is aware that such things are done but this is Geordieland where everything is different.

Just to say that I've only had the problem for 5 days so it's not chronic ---yet.

If it's not too much bother please ask her how she would proceed if she were me? has she a view on wrist splints.

Grateful thanks

Tom
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2014, 08:14 AM   #5
Tom Tallon
Lieutenant
Rep

thanks also V.

seen GP but in fairness they're rushed off their feet in Newcastle with sick people. Only had 5 days but don't to make a chronic problem to ensue.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2014, 08:16 AM   #6
Tom Tallon
Lieutenant
Rep

[QUOTE=Tom Tallon;16332130]thanks also V.

seen GP but in fairness they're rushed off their feet in Newcastle with sick people. Only had 5 days but don't want this to become a chronic problem /QUOTE]
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2014, 10:33 AM   #7
Consett Mag
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Tallon View Post
this is Geordieland where everything is different.
Tom, I work for the NHS in a Tyneside hospital. Generally speaking, the standards we have are as good the rest of the UK.

Hopefully your discussion with a physio will be of some help, but we often recommend keeping going with 6 hourly paracetamol. It often helps other analgesics (that don't contain paracetamol).

Good luck
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2014, 11:57 AM   #8
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 911, Cayenne Turbo, Disco 4

Interesting this comes up as I think I need to speak to a doctor about a similar issue and symptoms. It's not as acute as yours but getting worse and now somewhat chronic. From what I can see it would be regarded as mild ulnar neuropathy.

I can't sit in a plane seat without getting pins and needles and numbness thoughout my forearms and some fingers! Also noticed weakness in my pinkies, which causes me most issues when trying to clean and polish the cars of all things! So there is an f30 link...
Current: Porsche 911 991 C4S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo, Land Rover Discovery 4. Gone...G01 X3 M40i, Cayman S 987, F31 340i, Cayman GT4, F82 M4 CP, Lotus Exige V6, G20 330e, F30 330e, Boxster S 987, F31 335d, Mini Cooper SD, E89 Z4, E90 330d 320d, E60 520d, E46 330d 320d, MX5s, E30 325i
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2014, 12:25 PM   #9
F30AM
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport sDrive

It seems we are falling to bits.

For the last 2 weeks I have had a very sore back. Now that's ok with some excellent private physiotherapy.

Then last night I slipped and missed a step when going down the stairs, landed on my arse and stopped my fall with my arms. So then the shoulder which was operated on 3 years ago hurt a bit, so off I went for physiotherapy for this today, and it is fine now.

So I went twice today to my Australian Sports Physiotherapist, once in the morning for my back and then this afternoon for my shoulder! Only see Australians or New Zealanders as they are the best Physiotherapists IMO.
      07-22-2014, 01:19 PM   #10
Consett Mag
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330d M Sport

Ha ha. From witnessing L3/L4 spinal nerve de-compressions, I'd go for physiotherapy first and hopefully last.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2014, 02:47 PM   #11
evan15281
Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 335d

If it's shortlived, see how it settles down with a wrist splint (assuming the diagnosis is correct). Wear it at night-time as thats when classically carpal tunnel symptoms are at their worst.

Roughly speaking, 1/3 settle on their own with splint, 1/3 need steroid injection and 1/3 need surgery.

Surgery is safe, usually very successful for relieving the tingling / numbness / pins & needles but you need to have a good few months of symptoms before I'd consider releasing the nerve.

Evan
(Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon)
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2014, 01:53 PM   #12
Tom Tallon
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by evan15281 View Post
If it's shortlived, see how it settles down with a wrist splint (assuming the diagnosis is correct). Wear it at night-time as thats when classically carpal tunnel symptoms are at their worst.

Roughly speaking, 1/3 settle on their own with splint, 1/3 need steroid injection and 1/3 need surgery.

Surgery is safe, usually very successful for relieving the tingling / numbness / pins & needles but you need to have a good few months of symptoms before I'd consider releasing the nerve.

Evan
Hello Evan

Well hush my mouth I was looking on my old Briskoda forum and see you were on there too.

anyway you and I have the identical car too.

On my arm problem, I misled you all as I wa sdiagnosed with cubital tunnel syndrome - typical layman I am a little knowledge and all that.

Very pleased to say that physio and tiome have triumphed and now right as rain..

Best wishes

TT
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2014, 01:55 PM   #13
Tom Tallon
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by evan15281 View Post

Evan
Hello Evan

Well hush my mouth I was looking on my old Briskoda forum and see you were on there too.

anyway you and I have the identical car too.

On my arm problem, I misled you all as I was diagnosed with cubital tunnel syndrome - typical layman I am, a little knowledge and all that.

Very pleased to say that physio and time have triumphed and now right as rain..

Best wishes

TT
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2014, 02:13 PM   #14
Nick the Greek
Banned
France
Rep
Drives: M135i. I don't do diesel.

What you really need TT is a counter worry.

Get your wife to kick you in the nuts whilst wearing size 12 steel toe capped boots.

The pain will be so excruciating, that you will immediately forget about your arm.

Problem solved. Glad to be of help.

Appreciate 0
      09-28-2014, 02:58 PM   #15
malc1
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2016 F31 335d xDrive M Sport

I was diagnosed with this in both wrists a couple of years ago.
The left wrist being the worst.
I've had the option of surgery but actually am managing using a pair of wrist splints at night.
Night time being the worst time when I have been waking up with pins and needles in both hands.
I get pains sometimes during the day but this depends on whether I have been doing too much manual stuff with them.
Manageable though at the moment.