F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > decision MADE! ... 435i Gran Coupe Msport vs Lexus IS350awd Fsport
Extreme Powerhouse

07-17-2014, 11:01 PM   #1
ryanSTL
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '15 435GC rwd

decision MADE! ... 435i Gran Coupe Msport vs Lexus IS350awd Fsport

Although I'm deciding between 2 somewhat different cars at different prices, I feel they are the best options at their price points. I'm planning to pull the trigger on a lease here in the next week or two. I'm in my 30s married with two middle school kids if that matters. My other vehicle (the wife drives) is a 2014 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 4door which is an absolute blast. I've never owned a BMW, but used to have a G35 coupe and an A4 turbo that were both lots of fun. here is how i see these two cars having driven them somewhat briefly...

Lexus IS350awd F Sport: the IS350 F sport is a much better driving car than it seems to get credit for. The size, balance, and handling are excellent. The carry over V6 engine isn't bad, but it isn't great (It pulls like the 4 cyl BMW turbo, but sounds better). The 6 speed auto is good, not great. In the flesh, I personally really like the front end massive spindle grill, Nike swoosh LEDs, and gunmetal mesh wheels. This car turns my head when I see them out. 4 doors are convenient, as is the AWD. Lexus reliability is a plus, but I'm leasing and Lexus doesn't offer free included maintenance. The front sport seats are AMAZING, as is the LFA digital dash layout. I can probably negotiate this car to about $45,000 and it seems to lease pretty well.

BMW 435i Gran Coupe M Sport: I've always wanted a BMW, but always felt there were too many similar looking 3 and 5 series on the road everywhere you turned. I think the 435GC M Sport is instantly their best looking non-M sedan in the lineup by a wide margin. CARBON BLACK ... perhaps my favorite car color of all time .. beautiful! The engine is all around fantastic, although I wish the exhaust sounded a bit more substantial. Road / tire noise is noticeable, but maybe it's the run flats. The interior overall is better than the Lexus, but barely ... not $11k better. The seats are good, but not as good as the F sport. Love the convenience of the hatchback and free maintenance. Being RWD, I would need a set of snow tires which would allow me to invest in a nice aftermarket summer 20" wheel & tire setup. Although I wish there were more online driving reviews and road tests available for research, I really like the fact that this is a brand new model. There is a Carbon Black Msport lightly optioned that I can probably negotiate to $56,000.

The fact that I'm posting this in the 4 series forum basically makes me feel like I'm trying to be talked into the 435 Gran Coupe. However, it comes at a price premium that I'm not entirely sure is worth it. I don't want to regret spending extra money, but I also don't want to regret that I didn't pull the trigger on my first BMW. I am not a German car snob, but agree they still build driving machines better than Japan. No offense, but the 335 does not appeal to me over these two options. thoughts?

Last edited by ryanSTL; 07-20-2014 at 02:26 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2014, 11:11 PM   #2
warmtoes
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: EBII 435i xDrive

I crossed shopped almost the same combo except it was the 435i coupe with xDrive and the IS350 AWD FSport. The Lexus is a great car especially for the money. Seats are better in the Lexus as you've noted. Lexus does handle well and much better than the previous gen. If you want to save money it's a good choice. I was actually set to buy one then I drove the 435 xDrive at a BMW event and there was no turning back. With the adaptive suspension it just drove so much better than the IS.

You can argue that the interior is better on the IS and it handles well enough but the engine and handling of the 435 is just a step above in my opinion. I couldn't get over the difference in how they drive so I bucked up the difference and I enjoy driving to and from work more than I can ever remember.

Having said that, I have not driven the Gran Coupe but would assume its close to the coupe. And, later in the year you can get an xDrive 435 Gran Coupe.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2014, 11:21 PM   #3
ryanSTL
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '15 435GC rwd

forgot to mention that the Nav / mouse configuration in the Lexus SUCKS.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2014, 11:24 PM   #4
warmtoes
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: EBII 435i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanSTL View Post
forgot to mention that the Nav / mouse configuration in the Lexus SUCKS.
Yeah, and have you tried to play with the climate control? Talk about finicky.

But, you do have to appreciate the Lexus interior style and quality. I just find it odd that the F-sport seats which are great are faux-leather.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2014, 12:41 AM   #5
chylld
Major
Rep
Drives: G08 iX3

Garage List
My neighbour has an IS350 very sharp looking car and have sat in it a few times, but it's just not my thing. The design is very dramatic especially with all those angles around the headlights, but risks aging quicker; even now I think the 4GC is a better looker.

The lexus will be quieter and probably have a better sound system (I don't rate the h/k in my 4gc) and will ride softer, but I feel like there's always going to be time later in life for lexus ownership This is all ignoring the convenience provided by the auto-lift tailgate which I simply, absolutely, objectively cannot do without.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2014, 02:07 AM   #6
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i M Sport

Garage List
Well I'm not exactly the best, unbiased person to answer your question, because I think the F Sport is absolutely hideous, truly worse than butt ugly in every single way. The interior makes me feel like I'm in a Tron movie. On the other side of the coin I have been in love with Bimmers since before I could drive and now having owned three it's unlikely I'll ever drive anything else.

The BMW Car Club of America has over 75,000 members and is the largest car club in the world. There's a reason BMW owners get a little fanatical. I've put my mother in two Lexuses, but I've never come across a single Lexus that has ever given me a nanosecond of fanaticism.

Last edited by tturedraider; 07-18-2014 at 02:13 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2014, 02:29 AM   #7
meme
Private
Rep
Drives: 335i Mineral Grey

I went through the same dilemma and as someone who bought a BMW, i'll tell you it is not 11K better than the IS350. I fell for the first BMW thing too, I like my car but don't feel like it is worth the extra dough.

Drive both and buy what you like best, both are good cars and it just up to what you like.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2014, 04:58 AM   #8
SRB
Private
Rep
Drives: 428i

If money is an important part of the decision, I think I would go with the Lexus.

But if you don't plan to save the 11k buy the BMW.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2014, 06:13 AM   #9
BMRGUY
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335xi

I am in the same boat as you but also added the q50s to the mix. I have yet to pull the trigger but I am very much leaning towards the BMW. I have just recently added the 4 series gc to the mix. After driving all the cars BMW in my opinion the superior car with the q50s right behind it. The is I felt was amazing car but it lack the engine performance and the interior felt one step better than a Toyota... Very cheap for a 40k plus car. I could not get over those two big drawbacks.p and why for me it was the q50 and BMW... I am now very much on the BMW side due to the quality , power and ride of a German car (though the q50s blows away the xdrive standard suspension and steering). With Dhs I like the BMW more, I like the quality and not into gadgets. I had BMWs in the past and I loved those cars...my current Infiniti and other cars, I don't love...thus BMW for me. I think you can't lose between the choices now a days...pick the car you will love the for the next 3 years...that's the car to get
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2014, 07:27 AM   #10
JimmersBimmer
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i X-Drive

When I bought my IS 3.5 years ago, I thought I was buying a BMW in a kimono. Boy! was I wrong. I couldn't imagine being more disappointed in a car - the only similarity between the IS and the e90 it replaced is they are both RWD.

If you are seriously considering an IS, please take it for an extended test drive! I think they are made in a way that makes them appealing in the short term. In the long term I have had rattles that the dealership could not diagnose, wind noise the dealership could not diagnose, intermittent cracking noise from the centre console(I now have a crack in the stereo tuner faceplate), paint scratches and chips (if you sneeze on it - it scratches), the traction control is far inferior - throws the car to the left into oncoming traffic when it engages, and the anti-lock brakes are FAR inferior in comparison to my previous bimmer.

I guess one could argue that many of my complaints are noise-related quibbles that a competent dealership would be able to fix, but many of my complaints are well-known issues that others (having read IS forums) have had.

I have had multiple reasons not to *trust* the service manager at the dealership and in retrospect, it is an important relationship that is not to be taken lightly. Remember the service intervals are more frequent on the Lexus than a BMW.

I drove my IS home from the dealership in the rain. Immediately I noticed the OEM windshield wipers on my 39-month-old BMW were WAY better than the ones on the new Lexus. It was foreshadowing the overall disappointment I have felt over the course of the lease of this vehicle.
2007 E90 Silver on Black Leather
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2014, 08:47 AM   #11
Quakered
First Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: was BMW 328 Tourer F31

You are too young to drive a Toyota. Leave this pleasure until you are living in a retirement community.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2014, 08:56 AM   #12
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

I think the visceral, unmuted feel of the 435i GC can't be compared to any IS.

I did a 2 year, painful stint in an Acura before I cam to my 335i, and let me tell you, not many cars (aside from my old Evo VIII; a 20-something phase for sure!) can put a smile on my face first thing in the morning on a commute to work.

M Performance Exhaust/Brakes/Suspension/LSD|Bav Stage 1/AMP||ER CP/IC/DP/OC | Dinan CAI/N55 PWG BIG TURBO|BMWF30.com
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2014, 09:08 AM   #13
reddemon73
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 435

Before buying my F32 435 M-sport, I also test drove the F-type IS350. It is a fun car but does not comes close to the handling of the F32s. I did not like the interior and the front of the IS. Too dramatic for me.

I am glad I got the F32s. BMW has really step up their I-Drive system. The NAV is much better than my 2011 E92s.
2014 435i M Sport //AW, CR//premium, tech, lightening pkgs//20% tint//full clear bra//ppk//blk grills//20" Vertini wheels//digital gauge//Apple Carplay//MPE with catted DP//VSRF charge pipe//Wagner FMIC//
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2014, 09:09 AM   #14
NOBLE MOTORCARS
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 F32 435i (ON A BOAT)

Garage List
*comes to bmw forum and asks said members if they prefer a bmw or lexus*

oh btw. f32 FTW

AFter my 09 335i, I looked into
Audi-pay alot for nothing, unless you get S- class.
Mercedes benz CLA 45AMG- ugly as fuck outside, interior is inferior...
Infiniti- POS and inside is still inferior to BMW

Last edited by NOBLE MOTORCARS; 07-18-2014 at 09:14 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2014, 09:34 AM   #15
BMWFanatic2008
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 6MT

If you want to save money - get an Infiniti Q50. They lease great, $300 to $350 range depending on the configuration. Obviously it isn't on the same level as 335/435 but you get your money worth.

I don't know the current lease program for an IS350 but I doubt it's as good as Infiniti's one.
      07-18-2014, 09:36 AM   #16
NOBLE MOTORCARS
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 F32 435i (ON A BOAT)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWFanatic2008 View Post
If you want to save money - get an Infiniti Q50. They lease great, $300 to $350 range depending on the configuration. Obviously it isn't on the same level as 335/435 but you get your money worth.

I don't know the current lease program for an IS350 but I doubt it's as good as Infiniti's one.
now thats why, i see everyone and their moms driving one...they're like all over the road by me lol.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2014, 02:53 PM   #17
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Go for it! *but look into the M3 first, since $56k is pretty close to the price of a base M3
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2014, 03:10 PM   #18
JUSTIN808
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 X4MC, 22 Ridgeline RTLE.

OP you should play them off each other and see what lease rates they will give you. Then post the numbers to give us a clear picture of price difference. You may find the difference in payment will not be that much. If not that different i'd go with the BMW. Free maintenance and something different from the Japanese cars you already tried. Its only a lease so why not try.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2014, 03:19 PM   #19
JUSTIN808
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 X4MC, 22 Ridgeline RTLE.

Sorry to add another option but if you don't mind driving an Acura the new TLX with SH-awd and new 9 speed auto will be out in Aug. with special intro lease and financing. The tlx will offer great value features and torque vectoring AWD. I think fully loaded msrp is $45K.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2014, 03:37 PM   #20
Caught Looking
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 M340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quakered View Post
You are too young to drive a Toyota. Leave this pleasure until you are living in a retirement community.
Lexus makes golf carts?
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2014, 03:43 PM   #21
Quakered
First Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: was BMW 328 Tourer F31

I am sure Toyota make a Lexus version of the Pious......
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2014, 04:57 PM   #22
Benstuck
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i N55 E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanSTL
Although I'm deciding between 2 somewhat different cars at different prices, I feel they are the best options at their price points. I'm planning to pull the trigger on a lease here in the next week or two. I'm in my 30s married with two middle school kids if that matters. My other vehicle (the wife drives) is a 2014 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 4door which is an absolute blast. I've never owned a BMW, but used to have a G35 coupe and an A4 turbo that were both lots of fun. here is how i see these two cars having driven them somewhat briefly...

Lexus IS350awd F Sport: the IS350 F sport is a much better driving car than it seems to get credit for. The size, balance, and handling are excellent. The carry over V6 engine isn't bad, but it isn't great (It pulls like the 4 cyl BMW turbo, but sounds better). The 6 speed auto is good, not great. In the flesh, I personally really like the front end massive spindle grill, Nike swoosh LEDs, and gunmetal mesh wheels. This car turns my head when I see them out. 4 doors are convenient, as is the AWD. Lexus reliability is a plus, but I'm leasing and Lexus doesn't offer free included maintenance. The front sport seats are AMAZING, as is the LFA digital dash layout. I can probably negotiate this car to about $45,000 and it seems to lease pretty well.

BMW 435i Gran Coupe M Sport: I've always wanted a BMW, but always felt there were too many similar looking 3 and 5 series on the road everywhere you turned. I think the 435GC M Sport is instantly their best looking non-M sedan in the lineup by a wide margin. CARBON BLACK ... perhaps my favorite car color of all time .. beautiful! The engine is all around fantastic, although I wish the exhaust sounded a bit more substantial. Road / tire noise is noticeable, but maybe it's the run flats. The interior overall is better than the Lexus, but barely ... not $11k better. The seats are good, but not as good as the F sport. Love the convenience of the hatchback and free maintenance. Being RWD, I would need a set of snow tires which would allow me to invest in a nice aftermarket summer 20" wheel & tire setup. Although I wish there were more online driving reviews and road tests available for research, I really like the fact that this is a brand new model. There is a Carbon Black Msport lightly optioned that I can probably negotiate to $56,000.

The fact that I'm posting this in the 4 series forum basically makes me feel like I'm trying to be talked into the 435 Gran Coupe. However, it comes at a price premium that I'm not entirely sure is worth it. I don't want to regret spending extra money, but I also don't want to regret that I didn't pull the trigger on my first BMW. I am not a German car snob, but agree they still build driving machines better than Japan. No offense, but the 335 does not appeal to me over these two options. thoughts?
If those are my 2 choices, then I say Lexus
Appreciate 0