F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > It's been a year...
Extreme Powerhouse

07-17-2014, 03:15 PM   #1
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport, 2019 X5 40i

It's been a year...

A year ago this week I placed my order for a MY2014 328i for European Delivery.

Based on information I obtained from this forum and another, I felt I was in the know in terms of packages, options, engines, and accessories. I placed my order accordingly. I couldn't believe they could go from order to finished product in less than a month. I picked up my car last August in Munich and I now have 10k trouble-free miles.

My thoughts so far:

The ED experience was amazing. I will definitely do it again with my next purchase. Having a boatload of frequent flyer miles and family in Europe with whom to stay made the decision to do the ED program even easier.

My research really paid off. I would get exactly the same configuration if I were ordering today. The one choice I was a bit worried about was the engine. While the numbers for the N20 were impressive, I came from a 540 V-8 and losing half my cylinders was a concern. My concern evaporated once I put a few miles on the car. The N20 is totally fast enough for my taste. The N55 is a brilliant engine and I would have been happy with it as well, but the N20 is pretty much perfect for me.

Surprises:

I like HUD better than I thought I would.

I like the sound of HK better than I thought I would. I've ordered premium sound in my past 2 BMWs and I was disappointed. Not this time. HK is awesome, at least to my ears.

Gas mileage is better than I thought it would be. Just got back from a 2000 trip and got 38 mpg on the highway. Didn't expect more than 34.

VSS that comes with DHP is much better than I thought it would be. There were no cars at the dealers in my area to test DHP and VSS, so I chose this option base on feedback on this forum on DHP. The DHP is fine and about what I expected. The VSS was a huge positive surprise for me. Handling the car in parking lots and other tight situations is a breeze.

ASS is not as bad as I thought it would be. From reading the forums, most seemed to not like it and couldn't wait to get it coded off. Maybe BMW made a change with MY2014, but the ASS in my car is smooth and not an issue at all. I never have the need to turn it off.

The run flat tires are better than I thought they would be. After driving the earlier generation RTFs during a test drive of a couple of F10s back in 2011, I swore I would never have RTFs on a car of mine. I couldn't wait to end the test drive with those horrible tires. When I got this car, I figured I would switch to conventional tires when these wore out. Now with 10k miles on my RTF's and no noticeable tire wear, I am having second thoughts. These Continental RTFs are much better than I expected.

The transmission is better than I thought it would be. After all the praise of the 8 speed auto, I wasn't sure if it could really be that good. After driving MT for most of my life, most ATs are horrible by comparison. The 8 speed AT in the F30 is different. This is the first AT that doesn't make me miss MT. Sure, I'd like to have MT once in awhile, but all in all this AT is a gem and I don't regret getting it.

The N20 engine sound is better than I thought it would be. After reading all the posts about diesel sound, I thought the sound in the car would be horrible. To my surprise, the sound of the N20 for MY2014 (at least my car) is not bad at all. It may sound diesel-like for the first few seconds when I start it up because of direct injection, but I cannot hear it from the inside and frankly, I don't care what others think of the sound of my car. On the positive side, when I have it in Sport or Sport+, it sounds pretty darn good to me, another surprise.

Sorry for the long post. Thanks again to the contributors to this forum for providing your knowledge to help others make the right choices when ordering their F3x.

For those in the ordering process now, learn all you can before you order and have fun with it. If you cannot find the one you want on the lot, take the time to order it exactly the way you want. The wait is worth it.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2014, 05:17 PM   #2
Sharp_Cai
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X4MC

Nice write up~ Thanks. Post some pics of ur ride.
      07-17-2014, 06:58 PM   #3
Samurai30
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i msport

my 328i M sport from Germany comes to the states in a couple weeks. I really hope I have the same impression of the car as you. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2014, 07:16 PM   #4
bahasad
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30, E90

Wish I could have done ED on my F30, but it is spec'd out pretty much exactly how i want minus the lighting package. You sir are a lucky man
      07-17-2014, 07:16 PM   #5
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp_Cai View Post
Nice write up~ Thanks. Post some pics of ur ride.
Thanks.

Here are a couple of photos...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-17-2014, 08:28 PM   #6
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai30 View Post
my 328i M sport from Germany comes to the states in a couple weeks. I really hope I have the same impression of the car as you. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

You're welcome. If you are like I was, I couldn't get enough of the F30 forums while I waited; always searching for that next bit of information that I didn't already know. Nothing prepares you for the real thing. Probably just like other cars with this many gadgets, the learning period goes on and on.

BTW, the wait is excruciating. Your two weeks will seem like forever!
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2014, 08:33 PM   #7
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bahasad View Post
Wish I could have done ED on my F30, but it is spec'd out pretty much exactly how i want minus the lighting package. You sir are a lucky man

BMW Welt will be there for a long time. Plan ahead and do an ED in the future if you can. I've traveled extensively and did business in Europe for years. Even still, the ED experience felt special to me. I know, its just a car! Go figure.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2014, 08:45 PM   #8
335i_4D
Now in the dark side !
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 911S 997.2 Cab

So it seems like it's better that you thought it would be...

Just teasing you, nice car and nice write up.
2010 X5 35d Black fully loaded (Sold)
2007 335i sedan Antracite (Sold and missed !)
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2014, 09:46 PM   #9
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335i_4D View Post
So it seems like it's better that you thought it would be...

Just teasing you, nice car and nice write up.
Actually, you make a good point. To sum it up, the car is better than I thought it would be. I never had a concern about liking the car; I knew I would. I just did not expect to be as overwhelmingly happy with it as I am.

I was concerned that the size would be hard to get used to after having 5ers for so many years and that I would regret not getting the 335i since I come from V8s. Most of my other reservations came from information from the BMW forums and car mag articles and videos regarding poor interior quality, rough ASS (sorry), diesel engine sound, soft suspension, loud road noise, lack of connection with the road, lack of steering feel with electric steering, bad ride on run flats, etc. While the negative points from these sources are valid I'm sure, they did not materialize for me for my MY 2014. This could be because BMW made some improvements for MY 2014 that addressed some of these point, or it could be that the posters and the car mag writers who have issues with with the F30 328i are more sensitive about these points than I am. Bottom line is as you said. Its a better car than I expected it to be.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2014, 09:57 PM   #10
Philipangoo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 335

Good choices on the packages and nice car man. M sport really makes this car special.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2014, 10:10 PM   #11
Samurai30
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by sygazelle View Post
You're welcome. If you are like I was, I couldn't get enough of the F30 forums while I waited; always searching for that next bit of information that I didn't already know. Nothing prepares you for the real thing. Probably just like other cars with this many gadgets, the learning period goes on and on.

BTW, the wait is excruciating. Your two weeks will seem like forever!
Oh wow, I've been checking and reading every single post on this forum for the past couple months waiting for my car. It's a relieve to know I'm not the only crazy one . I'm not a young guy too, after 38 years I'm finally going to own a BMW soon.
Appreciate 0