F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Got bumped from behind in the Starbucks drive through this morning.
Extreme Powerhouse

07-14-2014, 10:22 AM   #1
warmtoes
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: EBII 435i xDrive

Got bumped from behind in the Starbucks drive through this morning.

Went through the Starbucks drive through this morning and had just finished ordering when I get jarred. I saw that someone was coming in behind me and half noticed the person was looking through her handbag or something on the front seat next to her but didn't expect to get bumped.

I was fearing the worst as I got out expecting to see the dreaded bolt indentations from the license plate holder on my rear bumper. The other car was an older Jetta. The previous generation that has the front of the car sweeping downwards more than the recent ones. She was freaking out and apologetic. She was wearing a Canada Post uniform so she's a postie. (Glad she didn't go postal on me. hahaha) I mentioned it was only a 2 month old car which caused her to freak out a bit more (probably shouldn't have added to her stress by telling her that).

I looked down and thought I saw some scratches but when I wiped at it, it was just dust. Got down low to look closely and amazingly nothing.

What was lucky is that she hit me on an angle. The drive through turns to the left right near the ordering kiosk so I was on an angle a bit. Because of that she hit me with her front left of the car instead of straight on and it was plastic on plastic at low speed and no dreaded bolt indentations.

Told her not to worry about it and got in the car and got my drink. She stayed really far behind me in the lineup until I left. I dodged a bullet on that one for sure. I guess distracted driving isn't just using your smartphone.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2014, 12:00 PM   #2
CS328Ci
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4

You're lucky there isn't any damage! You definitely can't have nice things in Vancouver. I've had my EBII 435i for three months and in that time had two dents repaired. As a result, I avoid drive-thrus and park far from others, but still, its inevitable in this town.

Surprised you took it so well and brushed it off.

Did you get the "appearance package" warranty? I got it for roughly $800 and it guarantees against dents and cosmetic damage. Was unsure if this was worth it during the buying process but am definitely glad I got it.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2014, 12:03 PM   #3
dtn
Prince of Zamunda
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 AW F30

I was picturing a hot girl until you mentioned Canada Post uniform.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2014, 02:58 PM   #4
warmtoes
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CS328Ci View Post
You're lucky there isn't any damage! You definitely can't have nice things in Vancouver. I've had my EBII 435i for three months and in that time had two dents repaired. As a result, I avoid drive-thrus and park far from others, but still, its inevitable in this town.

Surprised you took it so well and brushed it off.

Did you get the "appearance package" warranty? I got it for roughly $800 and it guarantees against dents and cosmetic damage. Was unsure if this was worth it during the buying process but am definitely glad I got it.
It definitely is hard to keep things pristine in Vancouver. I was pretty lucky with my X3 that I had just prior to the 435. I only got one good ding on my passenger rear door. From the hockey rink no less. Thanks for watching your kids when they open the door.

I didn't get the appearance package because it's a lease. I figured she was adequately apologetic and there's no damage that I can see so why be a dick about it. It's Monday morning so why start it off with a freak out.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2014, 03:00 PM   #5
warmtoes
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtn View Post
I was picturing a hot girl until you mentioned Canada Post uniform.
Yeah, she was definitely not in the "hot girl" category. Although, I do know a couple of very attractive Canada Post delivery people so it's not all bad over there. hahaha
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2014, 06:17 PM   #6
FC4
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Yes

Starbucks has drive throughs? Da fuq.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2014, 07:40 PM   #7
chylld
Major
Rep
Drives: G08 iX3

Garage List
shame it wasn't UPS. (link pic semi-nsfw)
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2014, 07:42 PM   #8
ft1330
Major
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Hopefully your brace is not messed up behind the bumper cover. Mine had to be replaced despite the bumper looking mostly pristine. The cover is extra soft and thin so you can definitely push it very far and damage the underlying bracket, and it will come back and look like nothing happened. It was also a woman going through her purse/phone while I was stopped at a red light.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2014, 07:43 PM   #9
ft1330
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chylld View Post
shame it wasn't UPS. (link pic semi-nsfw)
Looks legit...
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2014, 07:47 PM   #10
chylld
Major
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ft1330 View Post
Hopefully your brace is not messed up behind the bumper cover. Mine had to be replaced despite the bumper looking mostly pristine. The cover is extra soft and thin so you can definitely push it very far and damage the underlying bracket, and it will come back and look like nothing happened. It was also a woman going through her purse/phone while I was stopped at a red light.
Hopefully ok since it was a drive-thru, and speed was probably <10mph. My friend and I were both rear-ended in our E82 1-series coupes at 20-30mph, my bill came to AU$4,300 and his AU$13,400. Both cars were perfectly driveable and looked normal apart from some bumper scratches
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2014, 07:52 PM   #11
ft1330
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chylld View Post
Hopefully ok since it was a drive-thru, and speed was probably <10mph. My friend and I were both rear-ended in our E82 1-series coupes at 20-30mph, my bill came to AU$4,300 and his AU$13,400. Both cars were perfectly driveable and looked normal apart from some bumper scratches
I'm not sure how fast I was rear ended but it's got to be at a low speed because it didn't feel so bad. Just a surprising and noticeable bump. But I can tell you they had to change the rear carrier. These things are meant to bend in order to absorb impact, but must be changed after impact, or they won't do their job next time. Be careful mate.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2014, 07:57 PM   #12
chylld
Major
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I'm not sure how fast I was rear ended but it's got to be at a low speed because it didn't feel so bad. Just a surprising and noticeable bump. But I can tell you they had to change the rear carrier. These things are meant to bend in order to absorb impact, but must be changed after impact, or they won't do their job next time. Be careful mate.
Yep that's exactly what happened, and they were both properly fixed through insurance ASAP. My previous post was a bit misleading, didn't intend to suggest that we were thinking of just getting new bumpers...
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2014, 07:59 PM   #13
dougstand
ddraig
United_States
Rep
Drives: 435i M-sport Melbourne Red

Some people will stop at nothing to get their Starbucks.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2014, 11:01 PM   #14
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Glad there was no damages.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2014, 06:57 PM   #15
warmtoes
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the heads up. I'll take a closer look underneath. I figure it was less than 5km/h though. It was more like nudge than a bang. Since I was already stopped and she thought she was stopped it was very low speed. My guess is she thought her foot was fully depressing the brake and she reached for something too far away that made her lift her foot.

Never seen a UPS driver like that before.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2014, 04:57 PM   #16
ft1330
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by warmtoes View Post
Thanks for the heads up. I'll take a closer look underneath. I figure it was less than 5km/h though. It was more like nudge than a bang. Since I was already stopped and she thought she was stopped it was very low speed. My guess is she thought her foot was fully depressing the brake and she reached for something too far away that made her lift her foot.

Never seen a UPS driver like that before.
Yep that's exactly what happened to me. She said she was reaching for a phone and then I got hit. Next thing I know the body shop says they need to change the carrier and the whole bumper cover had to be changed, because they are thermoformed and once they take on a shape..... It stays that way. Body shop tried to heat it to reform it but it still had a general shape that wasn't 100% perfect once mounted back onto the car. I had them change the whole cover due to that, and that was after it was repainted. Then they painted the new cover with a paint that had a slightly different shade than my body paint. I got fed up so gave up on them. Supposedly that's the top paint shop in the area... So now I'm stuck with that. MAJOR pain. I will have to have the cover repainted by a CCRC at my own expense if I want it perfect (or so I hope). Car was only 4 months old after all........ What a pain in the ass.

PS: Oh and make sure they don't blend in your rear quarter panels and trunk to give the illusion that they made a proper paint match. Then you end up with an even bigger mess all over the rear of your car. They SHOULD be able to mix paint to factory spec but I guess not. Which is why I want to try the CCRC next.

Last edited by ft1330; 07-16-2014 at 05:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2014, 09:29 PM   #17
warmtoes
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Yep that's exactly what happened to me. She said she was reaching for a phone and then I got hit. Next thing I know the body shop says they need to change the carrier and the whole bumper cover had to be changed, because they are thermoformed and once they take on a shape..... It stays that way. Body shop tried to heat it to reform it but it still had a general shape that wasn't 100% perfect once mounted back onto the car. I had them change the whole cover due to that, and that was after it was repainted. Then they painted the new cover with a paint that had a slightly different shade than my body paint. I got fed up so gave up on them. Supposedly that's the top paint shop in the area... So now I'm stuck with that. MAJOR pain. I will have to have the cover repainted by a CCRC at my own expense if I want it perfect (or so I hope). Car was only 4 months old after all........ What a pain in the ass.

PS: Oh and make sure they don't blend in your rear quarter panels and trunk to give the illusion that they made a proper paint match. Then you end up with an even bigger mess all over the rear of your car. They SHOULD be able to mix paint to factory spec but I guess not. Which is why I want to try the CCRC next.
Holy crap that's a major piss off. Sorry to hear about your issues. Bad paint is something you just can't ignore.

I've checked and it's all good. Everything underneath is intact. Looked really close and found where she hit me. It was on the right side like I thought it would be. All that was there was transfer from her plastic bumper to mine. Initially thought it was a scratch but it rubbed off and didn't pierce the paint so I'm lucky.
Appreciate 0