E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > Please Help !

07-12-2014, 07:18 PM   #1
albanian335
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bmw 335xi coupe

Garage List
2008 Bmw 335xi  [0.00]
Please Help !

Hey guys , i just raised my car because of a thumping noise i saw that something to do with axle was cracked and theres grease everywhere can you guys help by explaining what it is and if its ok to drive please and thank you .. Its the front drivers side .. And i think i saw the parts was around 700-900 bur im not sure if i need the whole thing or maybe fix replace the rubber piece
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-12-2014, 07:29 PM   #2
albanian335
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 Bmw 335xi  [0.00]
Bump really need help with this im stuck in canada if i dont find out
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2014, 08:09 PM   #3
X_Drive
Second Lieutenant
Japan
Rep
Drives: E46, E91, F21

Garage List
If the axle was not making noise before this happened, it is pretty safe to say that you can get by with just replacing the outer boot and re-packing the joint.
Hope this helps a little.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2014, 08:35 PM   #4
albanian335
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 Bmw 335xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by X_Drive
If the axle was not making noise before this happened, it is pretty safe to say that you can get by with just replacing the outer boot and re-packing the joint.
Hope this helps a little.
How can i check it to make sure its okay? And where can i buy the boot and the grease lol im sorry i dont know much about this stuff
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2014, 08:51 PM   #5
miker2013
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335xi 6mt Msport coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by albanian335 View Post
Bump really need help with this im stuck in canada if i dont find out
lololol
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2014, 08:58 PM   #6
X_Drive
Second Lieutenant
Japan
Rep

Garage List
At this point, you can inspect if water has gotten into the bearings by looking into the axle joint. Inspect for oxidization. Also, inspect for noticeable debris in the joint. (i.e. dirt, rocks, dead things) Seeing that it looks like your boot tore quite recently, you shouldn't have too many issues at this point. Like I mentioned before, if it wasn't making a clicking/clunking noise when turning, you should be golden.

As for where to get the repair kit. Lots of aftermarket places will have it, however the best bet is the dealer. They have a complete kit, with all parts needed to replace the boot.
(New c-clip, outer CV band, inner CV band, 1-pack of CV grease, 1 outer CV boot) The axle nut and all other locking nuts will have to be considered in the pricing, as it is good practice to replace these nuts, especially the staked axle nut.

Are you planning on doing this job yourself? If you are it is kind of a pain in the ass without certain tools. Just to give you a heads up. If you are limited to the access to tools, then I would probably get someone to do this for you. However If you have the tools, then it should be a pretty straight forward repair.

HTH
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2014, 08:59 PM   #7
X_Drive
Second Lieutenant
Japan
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by miker2013 View Post
lololol
Hey, hey now! Them's fightin words.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2014, 11:12 AM   #8
albanian335
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 Bmw 335xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by X_Drive
At this point, you can inspect if water has gotten into the bearings by looking into the axle joint. Inspect for oxidization. Also, inspect for noticeable debris in the joint. (i.e. dirt, rocks, dead things) Seeing that it looks like your boot tore quite recently, you shouldn't have too many issues at this point. Like I mentioned before, if it wasn't making a clicking/clunking noise when turning, you should be golden.

As for where to get the repair kit. Lots of aftermarket places will have it, however the best bet is the dealer. They have a complete kit, with all parts needed to replace the boot.
(New c-clip, outer CV band, inner CV band, 1-pack of CV grease, 1 outer CV boot) The axle nut and all other locking nuts will have to be considered in the pricing, as it is good practice to replace these nuts, especially the staked axle nut.

Are you planning on doing this job yourself? If you are it is kind of a pain in the ass without certain tools. Just to give you a heads up. If you are limited to the access to tools, then I would probably get someone to do this for you. However If you have the tools, then it should be a pretty straight forward repair.

HTH
Thank you bro im gonna go buy it and look for a diy
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2014, 12:41 AM   #9
X_Drive
Second Lieutenant
Japan
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by albanian335 View Post