F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > newbie help please!
Extreme Powerhouse

07-03-2014, 10:13 AM   #1
eyeloveteeth
Private
Rep
Drives: Wood Hauler

newbie help please!

So, I finally have worked my way up the proverbial salary ladder to properly look at a fully loaded 4 series

Now, I am completely new to BMW and after spending days and hours reading thread after thread I am now, I think, more confused than ever. Can y'all tell me if this build makes sense and if it's possible?

Lastly, how do I ask for a port install vs dealer install (to avoid insane installation time charges) - from what I have gleaned on the forums.

I'm looking for this combo, but I don't want to goto the dealership until I understand the whole ordering guide (I hate feeling taken advantage of and not knowing better at the stealership).

This is what I want:
F36 435i Gran Coupe x-Drive
M-sport (ZMM?)
Black Sapphire Metallic (475)
Black Dakota *(To my understanding, I cannot order Saddle Brown interior right?)
Cold Weather Package (ZCW)
Dynamic Handling Package (ZDH)
Lighting Package (ZLP)
Technology Package (ZTP)
Driver Assistance Package (ZDA)
Driver Assistance Plus (ZDB)
Premium Package (ZPP)
Parking Assistant (5DP)
Harmon Kardon (688)
Enhanced Bluetooth (6NS)

Now this is where I am really confused:
M-Performance Brakes
M-sport Brakes (this comes with the M-sport package right? Does this get deducted if I want to get the M-performance brakes? Also - does the M-Performance Brake only include the front rotors? hence the $500 for rear rotors?

M-Performance Double Spoke 405M 20" - why is there one price @ $775 and one at $4750?

M-Performance Black Kidney Grills

Now it gets really hairy - Are there M-performance aero parts for the F36?
M-Performance Body Kit I don't understand how this works. I only see parts for the diffuser, and nothing for the front splitter.

M-Performance Power Kit
M-performance Exhaust

Yes, I am aware this is creeping pretty close to an M3 or M4 - but I still want x-drive (and i am completely not interested in the S4). Also, we have a large furkid yellow lab and having the rear seats folded down, and having that hatch trunk is crucial for me.

So MSRP (plus or minus the $650 for M-sport Brake vs M-Perf Brake) is @ $67875. I just don't understand how the other parts work... IF they are going to work with the F36, and IF i can get them port installed.

Thank you in advanced, I apologize for the wall of text, but I'm super excited about this prospect but am also really confused by the whole process and want to understand it all before I walk into the dealership.

Thanks a bunch!
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2014, 02:53 PM   #2
simongym
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 328i Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeloveteeth View Post
Yes, I am aware this is creeping pretty close to an M3 or M4 -

So MSRP (plus or minus the $650 for M-sport Brake vs M-Perf Brake) is @ $67875.
Sorry that I'm not actually being helpful since you said you need the x-drive and lift gate, and wanted some other options, but your MSRP is not just close to an M3/M4, it's over. Here's most of what you wanted from the car for $100 less:

http://www.bmwusa.com/standard/conte...modelcode=15tn
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2014, 03:34 PM   #3
eyeloveteeth
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by simongym View Post
Sorry that I'm not actually being helpful since you said you need the x-drive and lift gate, and wanted some other options, but your MSRP is not just close to an M3/M4, it's over. Here's most of what you wanted from the car for $100 less:

http://www.bmwusa.com/standard/conte...modelcode=15tn
I hear you, but one of the criteria is AWD. I've driven FWD, RWD and AWD vehicles and honestly, having AWD is something the wifey and I both feel is important.

If this was going to be the third car, then sure, M3 all the way, barebones, no comforts just driving amenities. Actually M4 probably
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2014, 04:05 PM   #4
tallshortguy
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 328i

I would honestly just do an M3 (I'm guess you want 4 doors since you speced a GC) with winter tires. If you already have an AWD vehicle for when the weather gets really dicey, you're probably better off getting the real M car for pretty much the same money.

But hey, it's your choice! If x-drive is important to you then more power to you.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2014, 04:43 PM   #5
Daas
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: A British car

No, M Sport Brakes are a completely separate option ($650) and do not come with the M Sport package as default. You will get both upgraded front and rear brakes for $650.

Your M Sport package will be labeled as ZM2, not ZMM. You don't really have a choice, so don't worry about that part. Also, don't worry about all the codes when you go to the dealer. Just build the car online and either take the printout with you, or email it to your sales adviser. It's very easy.
      07-03-2014, 05:51 PM   #6
snowghost
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 335i M-Sport 6MT

That M3 is a "stripper" compared to what the OP is putting together.
      07-03-2014, 08:09 PM   #7
eyeloveteeth
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saad View Post
No, M Sport Brakes are a completely separate option ($650) and do not come with the M Sport package as default. You will get both upgraded front and rear brakes for $650.

Your M Sport package will be labeled as ZM2, not ZMM. You don't really have a choice, so don't worry about that part. Also, don't worry about all the codes when you go to the dealer. Just build the car online and either take the printout with you, or email it to your sales adviser. It's very easy.
So I can choose not to spec the M-Sport brakes and just add the M-performance brakes?
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2014, 08:10 PM   #8
eyeloveteeth
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowghost View Post
Yes - there is that too. I'm not looking for an M - this would be a daily driver. Once this is paid off I can think about an M or R36 GTR
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2014, 08:13 PM   #9
eyeloveteeth
Private
Rep

Any comments about the M Performance stuff? Are the parts I'm looking at available on the GC?

Also why the price discrepancies for the rims
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2014, 08:15 PM   #10
Monkey Punk
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 M3

Quote:
So, I finally have worked my way up the proverbial salary ladder to properly look at a fully loaded 4 series

Now, I am completely new to BMW and after spending days and hours reading thread after thread I am now, I think, more confused than ever. Can y'all tell me if this build makes sense and if it's possible?

Lastly, how do I ask for a port install vs dealer install (to avoid insane installation time charges) - from what I have gleaned on the forums.

I'm looking for this combo, but I don't want to goto the dealership until I understand the whole ordering guide (I hate feeling taken advantage of and not knowing better at the stealership).

This is what I want:
F36 435i Gran Coupe x-Drive
M-sport (ZMM?)
Black Sapphire Metallic (475)
Black Dakota *(To my understanding, I cannot order Saddle Brown interior right?)
Cold Weather Package (ZCW)
Dynamic Handling Package (ZDH)
Lighting Package (ZLP)
Technology Package (ZTP)
Driver Assistance Package (ZDA)
Driver Assistance Plus (ZDB)
Premium Package (ZPP)
Parking Assistant (5DP)
Harmon Kardon (688)
Enhanced Bluetooth (6NS)

Now this is where I am really confused:
M-Performance Brakes
M-sport Brakes (this comes with the M-sport package right? Does this get deducted if I want to get the M-performance brakes? Also - does the M-Performance Brake only include the front rotors? hence the $500 for rear rotors?

M-Performance Double Spoke 405M 20" - why is there one price @ $775 and one at $4750?

M-Performance Black Kidney Grills

Now it gets really hairy - Are there M-performance aero parts for the F36?
M-Performance Body Kit I don't understand how this works. I only see parts for the diffuser, and nothing for the front splitter.

M-Performance Power Kit
M-performance Exhaust

Yes, I am aware this is creeping pretty close to an M3 or M4 - but I still want x-drive (and i am completely not interested in the S4). Also, we have a large furkid yellow lab and having the rear seats folded down, and having that hatch trunk is crucial for me.

So MSRP (plus or minus the $650 for M-sport Brake vs M-Perf Brake) is @ $67875. I just don't understand how the other parts work... IF they are going to work with the F36, and IF i can get them port installed.

Thank you in advanced, I apologize for the wall of text, but I'm super excited about this prospect but am also really confused by the whole process and want to understand it all before I walk into the dealership.

Thanks a bunch!
Bump! I am confused on the port installed options as well....I will have to contact my Sales guy to find out, but if anyone has any experience, please share!
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2014, 08:43 PM   #11
simongym
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 328i Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowghost View Post
Absolutely true! I was mostly kidding around since he clearly wants the tech options. Not my cup o' tea, but everyone's allowed their own preferences.

So yes, not what the OP is going for.

For reference, on my own car the options I paid extra for:
- sport line
- leather
- split fold-down seats (they weren't standard yet)
- heated front seats
- moonroof

I'm not at all a fan of BMW's use of 'packages', all of the options should be standalone whenever possible.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2014, 08:33 PM   #12
eyeloveteeth
Private
Rep

I'm just trying to get the facts and pick the fastest/sportiest/best looking sedan out there with options.

I've finally gotten through 75 pages in this section and y'all are making me feel like the GC is a bad idea....
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2014, 09:06 PM   #13
335i_4D
Now in the dark side !
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 911S 997.2 Cab

Don't think the GC's a bad idea, but I must admit that you're close to the M3.

And can't help either, since I live up North and I have a RWD...
2010 X5 35d Black fully loaded (Sold)
2007 335i sedan Antracite (Sold and missed !)
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2014, 09:39 PM   #14
skw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Also why the price discrepancies for the rims
My guess is the $7xx is just one wheel. The $47xx is a complete pkg w/ wheels, tires, and maybe the tpms sensors.
'07 4Runner V8 Limited 4WD
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2014, 09:58 PM   #15
BMRGUY
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335xi

I think your putting together a fine car based on your prioritizes. I would suggest take your list to the dealer and see what they say. Anything that is port installed is questionable because the gc is relatively new and the x drive is literally just going into production. Worst case scenario you can always have those other parts installed later on if you don't want to wait.

Good luck
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2014, 06:50 AM   #16
eyeloveteeth
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMRGUY View Post
I think your putting together a fine car based on your prioritizes. I would suggest take your list to the dealer and see what they say. Anything that is port installed is questionable because the gc is relatively new and the x drive is literally just going into production. Worst case scenario you can always have those other parts installed later on if you don't want to wait.

Good luck
Thanks! As you're week aware of I'm sure, the BMW dealers in LI are kind of a joke, and going out east is not really my thing. I know Huntington BMW dies dinar and stuff like that but the two closest to me are hassel and rallye.

We'll I guess I'll wait a little longer and see maybe the accessories page will pop up foe the GC.

I currently drive a chipped XC60 polestar r-design volvo, but it's just not what I want. It's got oomph but I miss being in a car. SO just got an RDX so I just need something that will transport me and furkid around
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2014, 07:12 AM   #17
Jmpascual
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G82 M4 Competition, G05 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeloveteeth
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMRGUY View Post

Good luck
Thanks! As you're week aware of I'm sure, the BMW dealers in LI are kind of a joke, and going out east is not really my thing. I know Huntington BMW dies dinar and stuff like that but the two closest to me are hassel and rallye.

We'll I guess I'll wait a little longer and see maybe the accessories page will pop up foe the GC.

I currently drive a chipped XC60 polestar r-design volvo, but it's just not what I want. It's got oomph but I miss being in a car. SO just got an RDX so I just need something that will transport me and furkid around
For an M3 that is loaded, with similar amenities that the 4 GC you configured offers, you are looking at 75K+. That's the lowest price I could go taking off options that weren't a necessity when configuring an M3. My dealer just got an M4 which is priced at 88K. (Can get expensive fast) Even though the 4 GC is not as good a performer as the M3/M4, it still performs very close to the 4 series coupe. You also mentioned that the hatchback is a necessity, so I think that the 4 GC would be the perfect car.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2014, 10:06 AM   #18
eyeloveteeth
Private
Rep

Wow, freaking autocorrect raped me.

Yeah, too bad BMW just nixed any thought of M4 gran coupe.

I'll have to shop around and think this through. SO put the idea of a Jeep SRT in my mind this morning
Appreciate 0