F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Impressions - ///M Performance Exhaust for n55
GetBMWParts

06-21-2014, 05:19 AM   #1
Falafel Combo
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 xDrive50i

Impressions - ///M Performance Exhaust for n55

Finally picked my car up yesterday with the new MPE installed. My expectations were kind of low after reading some of the reviews from other members here saying how underwhelming it is and how they wish it were louder.

Here are my quick and dirty impressions, from inside the cabin, with all windows rolled down:

At start up and idle with a warm engine, you would be hard pressed to hear any difference. Kind of disappointed in that. You constantly want to be reminded that your MPE is there when you start up the car. Well, that affirmation is totally absent here. Almost no noticeable distinction from the stock exhaust at all.

Cold start is glorious, but then again the stock exhaust would sound nice too.

Under 2,000 revs, again, very quiet. Almost difference at all.

Once you climb to 2500 or 3000 RPM you really start to hear the new exhaust and the sound that I am getting is distinctly different than my stock exhaust. It sounds excellent. Can not describe it, but while driving around town I recall yelling "ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!! This is awesome!!!". Lol!

Over 5000 RPM you really hear it scream! Again, it sounds incredible under load and heavy acceleration! I'm sure bystanders would be even more impressed. Very happy with the "performance" sound, although yes, at idle and lower revs it can easily be missed.

It easily passes the "Starbucks test". When I pulled up to Starbucks, the heads turned in my direction right away. I noticed the "looks" I got from the guys and gals sitting outside sipping lattes. The looks ranged from sincere admiration, to the interested, and then the "weird, why does that car sound so frickin awesome??!" and lastly the "Uugh, this guys car is sooo obnoxious! I lost my focus and now I can't finish writing this Huffington Post comment section reply". Lol!!! I realized the sad truth that the MPE sounds much better from outside the car than it does on the inside.

I love the chrome tips. I debated getting the carbon fiber ones, but with my black diffuser the chrome ones contrast better and stand out more. They also stick out of the rear a hair more than the stock ones, which again is a subtle difference but gives them such a nice sporty look and brings the eyes attention to the exhaust.

I debated springing the extra money for the Akrapovic, but could not justify the money. At less than half the price, the BMW MPE is a no brainer. Especially that I am CPO and the MPE has no warranty questions what so ever. And to be quite frank, the Akrapovic did not sound like a night and day difference from the MPE. It sounds different, but not necessarily "better". "Better" is always in the eye of the beholder. It is more exclusive for sure.

The sheer possibility that my MPE will sound even better once it has been broken in, gives me a tickle down in my pants. I can't wait!

Attached Images

Last edited by Falafel Combo; 06-21-2014 at 08:35 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2014, 09:06 AM   #2
m6pwr
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '14 335i M sport

Is there a difference in sound when you go from Comfort to Sport or Sport+?

There's supposed to be some kind of flap that opens when you go into Sport, giving a louder sound. Was your MPE port installed?

'14 328d, '13 M3 ZCP, '12 535i, '11 335d, '09 Z4 DINAN Stage II, '05 330i ZHP, '05 M3 ZCP, '02 M3, '91 328i, '90 535i, '88 528e, '88 M5, '87 M6, '95 Z3, 95 M3, '93 M5, '87 325e, '89 535i, '86 635i, '73 Bavaria.

Last edited by m6pwr; 06-21-2014 at 09:17 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2014, 10:01 AM   #3
Nowayman1
Private
Rep
Drives: 428i M sport EBII

Great to read your impressions and to hear that you're happy with your well earned upgrade!! This write up really makes me think about what I should do to my new car.

This may be a really stupid question but I shall ask away anyway...

I am picking up my new 428i from BMW welt in Munich early July and was wondering if it's possible to put a 435i twin exhaust on a 28i engine and then install the twin M performance diffuser?

Great write up and thanks for sharing!!!!
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2014, 10:27 AM   #4
Gio72
Captain
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowayman1 View Post
Great to read your impressions and to hear that you're happy with your well earned upgrade!! This write up really makes me think about what I should do to my new car.

I am picking up my new 428i from BMW welt in Munich early July and was wondering if it's possible to put a 435i twin exhaust on a 28i engine and then install the twin M performance diffuser?

If it's possible, consider that my 435i stock exhaust (never used, because I installed MPE at the delivery of the car) is on sale

Congrats to Alpinweiss 335i! As he knows, I cannot share his satisfaction because my MPE is the UE version (product number ending with 339), that sounds "sad"...
      06-21-2014, 10:46 AM   #5
BmwFlooner
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 M-Sport 335i 6MT

Any chance for some in-cabin sound clips? I'm waging this same battle between MPE and Akro....
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2014, 10:51 AM   #6
.BMW.
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW F11/F31

Great write up, glad you like the new sound!
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2014, 11:03 AM   #7
rallybull
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i w/PPK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gio72
Quote:

If it's possible, consider that my 435i stock exhaust (never used, because I installed MPE at the delivery of the car) is on sale

Congrats to Alpinweiss 335i! As he knows, I cannot share his satisfaction because my MPE is the UE version (product number ending with 339), that sounds "sad"...
I might have missed it, but what exactly is the UE version and how can someone buying a new MPE make sure to avoid it?
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2014, 12:00 PM   #8
300hp
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: X5 & 335xi

Mine is fully broken in now and I am happy with the sound. I can hear it over my HK sound system

It's loud enough on start up and when driving slow. When driving slowly (Sunday driving mode) it's best to keep it in Eco pro and comfort that's what I have observed. Beyond 40 mph you can go to sport+ for the best sound.

Do you have PPK? that adds another dimension to the sound. PPK + MPE equals happiness

Deep Sea Blue Metallic 2013 X5 35d Sport
Prem, Convenience, Cold and Premium Sound packages
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2014, 03:26 PM   #9
Gio72
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallybull View Post
I might have missed it, but what exactly is the UE version and how can someone buying a new MPE make sure to avoid it?
Don't worry: as written on RealOEM.com, in USA (and in Canada, for 8AT as far as I remember) it's only available US version ("340" the last 3 number of the product code).
I know that BMW is trying to omologate the 340 version in Europe (in the rest of the world!) instead of 339 version...
I think they differs for the materials inside the muffler.
      06-21-2014, 04:10 PM   #10
botis1028
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F85 X5M & F10 M5

I don't have any experience with the stock exhaust because my car came with the MPerformance exhaust stock. There is definitely a difference when you put it in the 3 different modes, you don't hear it all that much in comfort unless you are above 4K RPM. It makes a good sound when you down and upshift in Sport and Sport+. It also has a great sound at idle if you are outside the car - it purrs.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2014, 04:22 PM   #11
OUGrad05
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 i4 and 2022 Acura MDX

Man that white with the tint is quite a looker
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2014, 07:48 PM   #12
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

You know it deepens up after several thousand miles...?

M Performance Exhaust/Brakes/Suspension/LSD|Bav Stage 1/AMP||ER CP/IC/DP/OC | Dinan CAI/N55 PWG BIG TURBO|BMWF30.com
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2014, 05:17 AM   #13
Falafel Combo
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivaswrath View Post
You know it deepens up after several thousand miles...?

I can't wait! Actually I can ... it's pretty sweet already.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2014, 05:20 AM   #14
Falafel Combo
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m6pwr View Post
Is there a difference in sound when you go from Comfort to Sport or Sport+?

There's supposed to be some kind of flap that opens when you go into Sport, giving a louder sound. Was your MPE port installed?

I'm sure there is an audible difference in the different modes, but to be honest it was not one of the things I gave much attention. The one thing I did notice which was kind of odd is that in Comfort mode you hear some of the burbles and pops that you would only get in Sport/+ with stock exhaust. My exhaust was installed at my local dealership, not the port. I have 18,000 miles on my car.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2014, 05:21 AM   #15
Falafel Combo
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Of course it's possible. It's just a lot of work. I'm sure it would look pretty sweet too.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2014, 05:27 AM   #16
Falafel Combo
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300hp View Post

Do you have PPK? that adds another dimension to the sound. PPK + MPE equals happiness

No PPK yet. I'm taking my time and enjoying one thing at a time.

I know this is controversial, but I'll say it anyway. My butt dyno is registering a power bump with the MPE alone. Not sure how to explain it. It's not much, but it feels as if my 335i now has either:

a. Slightly more power
b. Engine revs more freely or less restricted

It feels like the revs climb faster than before, and that the car is a tad more eager to accelerate. Is this even possible? Is it possible that the stock exhaust "chokes" the engine to where it puts the performance at a disadvantage?
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2014, 05:27 AM   #17
Falafel Combo
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OUGrad05 View Post
Man that white with the tint is quite a looker
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss0803 View Post
Great write up, glad you like the new sound!

Last edited by Falafel Combo; 06-22-2014 at 05:54 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2014, 05:31 AM   #18
Falafel Combo
Banned
United_States
Rep

My wife is totally clueless around cars. Completely! Not a single clue.

Yesterday she asks "what's wrong with your car? Is it broken?" I asked why. She says ... "It sounds kind of loud!" In my head i'm thinking: Yessssss!.

There you have it ladies and gents. From a totally objective observer, the MPE "sounds kind of loud" before it has even been broken in. Lol!
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2014, 05:44 AM   #19
Falafel Combo
Banned
United_States
Rep

One last thing. Again, from inside the cabin with all the windows rolled up, I could barely notice the MPE. I think that is a factor of the cabin insulation, not the MPE. It is a bit disappointing. You really have to roll the windows down to hear anything at all. Perhaps it will get better once it's been broken in.

Fake noise induction anyone? Truthfully, I wouldn't mind it right now.

The one thing I truly appreciate about the MPE so far is the balance. You can tell that this MPE was very carefully engineered and the sound was deliberately and meticulously crafted to match the n55 engine. The "car sounds" I would get before the MPE were mostly engine noises (which is great), but little-to-no exhaust note. Something was missing. Now it is actually quite balanced, where I still get to enjoy the inline 6 noises, but also am constantly assured by MPE with the accompanying deep growling, exhaust back pressure pops and burbles. It's rarely ever where you just hear a loud exhaust note that would overtake the engine noise. The exhaust here plays second fiddle to the engine and induction noises. I like that. I believe that is one of the reasons why this exhaust SHOULD NOT sound much louder. Why would you want to drown out the beautiful n55 noises with a loud exhaust. It wouldn't make much sense to me and I'm sure I would not have preferred that.

It's really cool when I drive into my neighborhood pulling up to my garage, I usually leave the car in first gear (I have the 6MT), and just let off the gas as I approach my drive way. It starts to pop and burble and I just think it's totally badass and a bit immature at the same time!

Last edited by Falafel Combo; 06-22-2014 at 05:52 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2014, 05:53 AM   #20
Falafel Combo
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BmwFlooner View Post
Any chance for some in-cabin sound clips? I'm waging this same battle between MPE and Akro....

I wish. I don't think I have the proper equipment. Unfortunately though, not much sound from the MPE penetrates the cabin unless you roll down all the windows.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2014, 07:16 AM   #21
Gio72
Captain
Rep

If our 435i had the ASD (Active Sound Design) of M135i and M235i, the inside cabin sound would be perfect!
      06-22-2014, 08:47 AM   #22
300hp
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: X5 & 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinweiss 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by 300hp View Post

No PPK yet. I'm taking my time and enjoying one thing at a time.

I know this is controversial, but I'll say it anyway. My butt dyno is registering a power bump with the MPE alone. Not sure how to explain it. It's not much, but it feels as if my 335i now has either:

a. Slightly more power
b. Engine revs more freely or less restricted

It feels like the revs climb faster than before, and that the car is a tad more eager to accelerate. Is this even possible? Is it possible that the stock exhaust "chokes" the engine to where it puts the performance at a disadvantage?
See what you can make of this. This is my old car with PPK and no MPE vs my new car, on this day the new car only had MPE, PPK was installed the following day. The new car had 10 miles on it and the old car had over 1500 times more miles. Lol.

As you can see I had given up on the msport exhaust tips. Man I hated those things. The mperformance tips are way cleaner

Deep Sea Blue Metallic 2013 X5 35d Sport
Prem, Convenience, Cold and Premium Sound packages
Appreciate 0