F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Required to bring car in for Service?
proTUNING Freaks

06-20-2014, 04:54 PM   #1
willpower
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: f80 m3 zcp

Required to bring car in for Service?

Hello,

I'm leasing and will most likely purchase my 435i for a daily at the end of the lease.

That being said, I have a JB4, now M Perf Exhuast. I do think that its a bit quiet so I may add a downpipe soon.

I would rather not have to take apart everything each time I go to the dealer, so I was wondering if I could have the car serviced at a non-BMW store, and keep all records to submit at end of lease?

Are we required to service car at BMW and "check-in" with them every so often?

PS: I did a bunch of research on the M Performance exhaust prior to purchasing it. After installing it I can say that it is super quiet. Maybe a 20% increase in decibel over stock, and just a bit raspier, kinda like a G37 (sorry). I came from a coyote Mustang with just the GT500 axleback, and it is massively tame in comparison. If anyone else is looking for a exhaust system that is louder/deeper, I don't suggest the MPE.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2014, 05:25 PM   #2
dtn
Prince of Zamunda
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 AW F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by willpower View Post
Hello,

I'm leasing and will most likely purchase my 435i for a daily at the end of the lease.

That being said, I have a JB4, now M Perf Exhuast. I do think that its a bit quiet so I may add a downpipe soon.

I would rather not have to take apart everything each time I go to the dealer, so I was wondering if I could have the car serviced at a non-BMW store, and keep all records to submit at end of lease?

Are we required to service car at BMW and "check-in" with them every so often?

PS: I did a bunch of research on the M Performance exhaust prior to purchasing it. After installing it I can say that it is super quiet. Maybe a 20% increase in decibel over stock, and just a bit raspier, kinda like a G37 (sorry). I came from a coyote Mustang with just the GT500 axleback, and it is massively tame in comparison. If anyone else is looking for a exhaust system that is louder/deeper, I don't suggest the MPE.
So you'd rather pay for service rather than just taking off the JB4?
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2014, 05:37 PM   #3
willpower
Second Lieutenant
Rep

and downpipe, my friend owns a bmw servicing center (non ceritifed)
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2014, 05:40 PM   #4
rjpeaks
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i M-Sport 6pd

how long have you had the exhaust on?
      06-20-2014, 05:45 PM   #5
willpower
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I just put the m perf exhuast on, but am about to order a downpipe
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2014, 08:21 PM   #6
USC2000
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 328i M Sport

If you're going to buy your lease rather than turn it in, then you don't need service records.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2014, 08:59 PM   #7
newoldbeemer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 328i

Why in the world would you not want to service it at BMW? Surely there should be warranty concerns that aren't worth the JB4 & downpipe. Remove the JB4 and service it at BMW.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2014, 11:25 PM   #8
willpower
Second Lieutenant
Rep

It'd just be easier for me to bring it to my friend, pay 80$ and be done with it instead of remove downpipe, jb4, clear codes, reinstall etc...
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2014, 03:03 AM   #9
fujitashi
Rep
Drives: bmw

I just put the m perf exhuast on
      06-21-2014, 03:50 AM   #10
Mobster1983
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i

If he is a non certified tech I would be careful. Sure, some of them may be just as good if not better than BMW techs, but if you have it serviced by someone not certified it may affect the warranty.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2014, 06:59 AM   #11
Falafel Combo
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 xDrive50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by willpower View Post

I'm just a bit surprised that you claim you "did a bunch of research" on the MPE, yet were surprised it was relatively quiet. I was actually expecting it to sound even quieter, but to my surprise the sound is spot on. And my has not even broken in yet. But then again, this is not my first performance exhaust so perhaps I had different expectations than your own.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2014, 05:06 PM   #12
Austinformedude
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328

My question is why people bother modding a lease car in the first place? Buy the car, then mod what you want and don't worry. If you lease, you should treat it like the rental it is and not "invest" parts and money in it. This would be like renting an apartment and having custom flooring installed that had to be removed when vacating. Who would do that?
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2014, 05:43 PM   #13
IndotagSwizz
Major
Rep
Drives: F30 320i

Go to a BMW dealership to get it service, use the excuse that you are going to buy it when the lease is over, and pray to god that nothing ever breaks or blows up or else they will probably blame it on your mods... Good luck
      06-22-2014, 01:04 AM   #14
willpower
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinweiss 335i View Post
I'm just a bit surprised that you claim you "did a bunch of research" on the MPE, yet were surprised it was relatively quiet. I was actually expecting it to sound even quieter, but to my surprise the sound is spot on. And my has not even broken in yet. But then again, this is not my first performance exhaust so perhaps I had different expectations than your own.
I did. There are people that claim that its quiet, but a large majority say its a perfect exhaust and that it sounds so awesome. I know mines was installed perfectly, without any leaks, so its really quiet to me. It really does sound like my old 2008 G37 Coupe (which is a good and bad thing).

I probably would have been more happy with the Akrapovic, but just couldn't bring myself to spend the 3k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinformedude View Post
My question is why people bother modding a lease car in the first place? Buy the car, then mod what you want and don't worry. If you lease, you should treat it like the rental it is and not "invest" parts and money in it. This would be like renting an apartment and having custom flooring installed that had to be removed when vacating. Who would do that?
I would have purchased this car, but the lease on BMWs are so aggressive that unless you have hundreds of thousands sitting in the bank, I do not know why you wouldn't lease. Plus leasing luxury cars allows easier to tax deduct a portion if you use it for business purposes. I like to switch cars every 3-4 years, and in most states, leasing prevents you from taking such a hard hit on the purchase tax because you don't purchase then resell.

As long as I take good care of my car, I don't see why modding a leased car is a problem. It's not like I'm putting a wide body kit, live axle, rebuilding the engine and drag racing it.

I do have to say tho, I was more in the market for a M4 hence my inclination to mod this vehicle. My Mustang got bought back by Ford, and I was left without the ability to pick up a M4, new C63 or 2015 Mustang GT cuz I needed a car right away. The 435 is great tho!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndotagSwizz View Post
Go to a BMW dealership to get it service, use the excuse that you are going to buy it when the lease is over, and pray to god that nothing ever breaks or blows up or else they will probably blame it on your mods... Good luck
Ya, I probably will do that. I'll just take out the JB4 each time and maybe not change the downpipe.

I just have tint, spacers, m performance exhaust right now.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2014, 07:19 AM   #15
infinitigor
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3C, 2010 E350

You don't have to get your lease serviced at BMW. They'll still take the car back at the end of your lease. If something major breaks then you remove all the mods, clear the cods and then bring it to service
      06-23-2014, 07:33 AM   #16
RoundelM3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 F80 M3, 22 G01 X3 30i

Garage List
2022 BMW X3  [9.83]
2015 BMW M3  [6.50]
If your car does not receive the normal service/maintenance from a BMW dealer or certified independent shop, you'll likely run into problems should you have any warranty claims involving the powertrain. Sell your MPE and get a 3rd-party exhaust if you really feel the need to make it that noisy - the catless DP will make your exhaust stink. You get 4 years/50K miles of warranty and maintenance - you really want to bypass that just to make your car sound louder?

2015 F80 ///M3 Sedan 7DCT Tanzanite, 2022 X3 sDrive30i 8AT Brooklyn Grey
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2014, 08:58 AM   #17
carzaddict
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 Cadillac Escalade ESV

you do not have to service your car at BMW. they will not ask for service records when you return the lease.

seriously though the JB4 is not that hard to remove...but whatever floats your boat
      06-23-2014, 12:29 PM   #18
Philipangoo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 335

JB4 takes less then 30 minutes to install and remove if your doing it for the first time. Its really quite simple and full reversible. I would just take it off. No ones gonna give u crap for the exhaust.
      06-23-2014, 01:20 PM   #19
Buckeyes
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i M Sport

I've leased numerous cars over the years and i have never been asked once for service records. Every car I've lease I also got windows tint and no dealership ever cared about that. Now if the engine blows or the tint looks like shit or is illegal you could have an issue.

Hell, my brother leased a grand am and changed the oil once in 39 months. Car never has so much as an engine light come on. Turned it in with no problem. No dents, scratches, and tires in good shape, great....cya
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2014, 01:51 PM   #20
335BOY
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 SQ5

Quote:
Originally Posted by USC2000 View Post
If you're going to buy your lease rather than turn it in, then you don't need service records.
No but you need warranty. Its called fraud if you tune and de-tune for service and end up with a related warranty claim. Those service records are to maintain warranty.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2014, 02:05 PM   #21
RoundelM3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 F80 M3, 22 G01 X3 30i

Garage List
2022 BMW X3  [9.83]
2015 BMW M3  [6.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trcb777 View Post
I've leased numerous cars over the years and i have never been asked once for service records. Every car I've lease I also got windows tint and no dealership ever cared about that. Now if the engine blows or the tint looks like shit or is illegal you could have an issue.

Hell, my brother leased a grand am and changed the oil once in 39 months. Car never has so much as an engine light come on. Turned it in with no problem. No dents, scratches, and tires in good shape, great....cya
You aren't seriously comparing a "grand am" with a BMW, are you? BMW is a little more particular about their leased cars, especially with their relatively high residual value. If you were to turn one in without any evidence of required maintenance (like oil changes and other items), the residual is negatively affected, they can't CPO it, and you'll end up owing them money.

2015 F80 ///M3 Sedan 7DCT Tanzanite, 2022 X3 sDrive30i 8AT Brooklyn Grey
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2014, 12:37 AM   #22
willpower
Second Lieutenant
Rep

This thread has turned a bit off topic, but thanks for all the answers.

1. I'll just take the JB4 off, you guys are right. I think i'll just clear codes flash to stock and take it in leaving the harness in (I really doubt they are going to remove the dust shield and battery shield to do maintenance?). If anyone here knows that they do I guess I'll take the whole thing out.

2. The member that talked about me just wanting to make this car louder I actually agree, I shoulda just picked up a GT500 or a M5 (leases are pretty sweet on it right now).

3. I don't believe tuning and detuning this vehicle is necessarily fraud as one member mentioned. Its no different than say having sex in the car, over reving, tracking, doing burn outs, etc.. How about the MPPK? Its very close to the JB4 ( I know its a flash vs piggy, but they both increase the psi).

4. Lastly, to the members that say they can't resell or CPO it that is so far from the truth. I've been sold a CPO Audi that ended up revealing that it had been a total front end rebuild. Many of the CPO cars out there are not any better, or worse than non-CPO cars. The dealer really just takes any non salvage car, and makes it CPO by doing a checkup on it, make sure brakes/fluids/tires are okay and pays 1000-3000$. Even worse is that any semi-performance vehicle sold by a dealer that is on the low end of the market price is most likely completely crap. I looked for 6 months for a GTR before getting this 435, and I can tell you there are a few exceptions but there are mostly beat-up GTRs out there on the used market with so many things the dealers try to lie and hide. The used performance car market is very scary.
Appreciate 0