F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Loaner experience
GetBMWParts

06-18-2014, 08:37 PM   #1
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport, 2019 X5 40i

Loaner experience

I got a pretty stripped 328i loaner yesterday while my loaded 328i m-sport was in for oil service. It was my first chance to compare a base model with my car.

I actually enjoyed this loaner quite a bit. For those who don't car about the packages and options, this base model is a great option.

Here are my observations:

The loaner did not have have HUD. I kept looking in the windshield to see my speed, but it wasn't there. I immediately missed HUD and realized what a great feature it is to have on a car.

The loaner did not have leather. It looked nice and I'm told actually wears better, especially with dogs. But, I'm glad I got leather.

The loaner did not have DHP or VSS. Its really quite a different ride. The loaner drove fine and I really had no complaints, but the control and feel you get with DHP is very much worth it to me. VSS that comes with DHP is awesome too. The loaner did not have it and the steering is fine, but VSS really helps in tight parking lot situations. I may not have chosen it as a stand alone feature, but packaged with the essential (to me) DHP, VSS is a nice extra.

The loaner did not have comfort access. I had to actually get the FOB out of my pocket to unlock the passenger door and the back doors. Oh the horror. Anyway, i am so used to comfort access that not having it, even for a day, was troubling. Is comfort access necessary? NO. Is it great to have? YES.

The loaner did not have HK sound. I did not really test it out but the base stereo sounded okay to me. The HK sounds really good to me. So, I'm glad I paid the extra money.

The loaner had base trim. Again, it looked okay to me, but the m-sport looks better and I'm really glad I chose that trim.

Bottom line: I think the stripped 328i is a fine car. If that's all I wanted or all I could afford, I'd be happy with it no doubt. But, the packages and options that BMW charges so dearly for really transform the car into a different and better (to me) driving experience.

If you are on the fence about certain options, please test drive cars with and without the options in question. A little homework will save a lot of regret later on.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2014, 08:39 PM   #2
justinnum1
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 330i Msport 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by sygazelle View Post
I got a pretty stripped 328i loaner yesterday while my loaded 328i m-sport was in for oil service. It was my first chance to compare a base model with my car.

I actually enjoyed this loaner quite a bit. For those who don't car about the packages and options, this base model is a great option.

Here are my observations:

The loaner did not have have HUD. I kept looking in the windshield to see my speed, but it wasn't there. I immediately missed HUD and realized what a great feature it is to have on a car.

The loaner did not have leather. It looked nice and I'm told actually wears better, especially with dogs. But, I'm glad I got leather.

The loaner did not have DHP or VSS. Its really quite a different ride. The loaner drove fine and I really had no complaints, but the control and feel you get with DHP is very much worth it to me. VSS that comes with DHP is awesome too. The loaner did not have it and the steering is fine, but VSS really helps in tight parking lot situations. I may not have chosen it as a stand alone feature, but packaged with the essential (to me) DHP, VSS is a nice extra.

The loaner did not have comfort access. I had to actually get the FOB out of my pocket to unlock the passenger door and the back doors. Oh the horror. Anyway, i am so used to comfort access that not having it, even for a day, was troubling. Is comfort access necessary? NO. Is it great to have? YES.

The loaner did not have HK sound. I did not really test it out but the base stereo sounded okay to me. The HK sounds really good to me. So, I'm glad I paid the extra money.

The loaner had base trim. Again, it looked okay to me, but the m-sport looks better and I'm really glad I chose that trim.

Bottom line: I think the stripped 328i is a fine car. If that's all I wanted or all I could afford, I'd be happy with it no doubt. But, the packages and options that BMW charges so dearly for really transform the car into a different and better (to me) driving experience.

If you are on the fence about certain options, please test drive cars with and without the options in question. A little homework will save a lot of regret later on.
First world problems.
      06-18-2014, 09:04 PM   #3
FC4
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Yes

Are people not capable of reaching into their pocket and hitting the lock/unlock button on the fob without removing it? How about pressing the buttons from the outside of the pants without having to reach into the pocket? Or do you really have to reach in, take the fob out, look at it, point it towards the car, press the button, and put it back on your pocket?

I see this argument for Comfort Access quite a bit and it's laughable. I have the equivalent of Comfort Access on two other cars and don't care for it one bit. I don't know why BMW people are so impressed by it.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2014, 09:08 PM   #4
Daas
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: A British car

What does DHP stand for?
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2014, 09:31 PM   #5
300hp
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: X5 & 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC4
Are people not capable of reaching into their pocket and hitting the lock/unlock button on the fob without removing it? How about pressing the buttons from the outside of the pants without having to reach into the pocket? Or do you really have to reach in, take the fob out, look at it, point it towards the car, press the button, and put it back on your pocket?

I see this argument for Comfort Access quite a bit and it's laughable. I have the equivalent of Comfort Access on two other cars and don't care for it one bit. I don't know why BMW people are so impressed by it.
The reason it's commented on a lot on BMW forums is because it's an option. g37s, IS250/350s etc come standard with "comfort access". I have it on both my cars and I love it. Bear in mind you still have to take the key out of your pocket to start the car so even if you use your key in pocket trick those keys still need to come out to start the car.

BMW sells X5s for 70k with no comfort access and for me that's just unacceptable.

OP. I have one car with no HUD, and my F30 has it. HUD is great but if you know the car you are driving has no HUD you will do just fine. You just look at the speedometer and you are all set.

One option I do miss that I urge people to consider is the blind spot detection which I don't have in both my cars. My 13 had it and it really comes in handy when changing lanes or thinking about it.

Deep Sea Blue Metallic 2013 X5 35d Sport
Prem, Convenience, Cold and Premium Sound packages
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2014, 09:41 PM   #6
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinnum1 View Post
First world problems.

You didn't get my attempt at sarcasm with my "Oh the horror" comment?
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2014, 09:51 PM   #7
Vegetable
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M4 MT, 2024 X3MC

Quote:
You didn't get my attempt at sarcasm with my "Oh the horror" comment?
I thought you made it blatantly clear... Anyway good write up, I can't stand the fake leather.. yak!
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2014, 09:55 PM   #8
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i xDrive Sport Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saad View Post
What does DHP stand for?
Dynamic Handling Package.

Yeah, I had the same experience with a 328xi loaner. Missed the HUD, missed comfort access, but the loaner did have Nav. (which I don't really need/use). I also miss the blind spot monitoring - I don't rely on it, but it's nice to have that extra assurance that I'm not missing anything. It's always fun to experience the 328 after driving the 335. It's a fun car for sure.
      06-18-2014, 10:01 PM   #9
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC4 View Post

Wow. I was attempting to provide some observations about differences between cars since option and package choices is a big part of this forum and I had a chance to drive a fully loaded version and a stripped version back to back and I thought the information might be useful to those trying to make decisions.

First of all, I was joking about the effort to take the FOB out of my pocket. Your clue was my "Oh the horror" comment. You must of missed that part. I'm perfectly capable of taking a key out of my pocket and doing the things you point out in your brilliant response to my post. I was simply commenting that after driving a car that has it, its pretty cool to not have to go fumbling through ones pockets. If that makes me a BMW person, guilty as charged.

Do you use a garage door opener? Aren't they convenient? Comfort access is convenient too. Not necessary, but convenient.

BTW, if people like things or are impressed by things that you don't like, it doesn't make them wrong. It just makes them different than you. Really, its okay.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2014, 10:04 PM   #10
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saad View Post
What does DHP stand for?
Dynamic Handling Package.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2014, 10:10 PM   #11
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300hp View Post
The reason it's commented on a lot on BMW forums is because it's an option. g37s, IS250/350s etc come standard with "comfort access". I have it on both my cars and I love it. Bear in mind you still have to take the key out of your pocket to start the car so even if you use your key in pocket trick those keys still need to come out to start the car.

BMW sells X5s for 70k with no comfort access and for me that's just unacceptable.

OP. I have one car with no HUD, and my F30 has it. HUD is great but if you know the car you are driving has no HUD you will do just fine. You just look at the speedometer and you are all set.

One option I do miss that I urge people to consider is the blind spot detection which I don't have in both my cars. My 13 had it and it really comes in handy when changing lanes or thinking about it.
I have another car without HUD and I do a mental switch immediately and its no problem. However, my loaner was an identical car in many ways, including color, so I did not make the mental switch. This experience simply reinforced to me how much I like it.

The option/package I did not get that I now regret is the blind spot detector. Next car will have it for sure.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2014, 10:27 AM   #12
newoldbeemer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 328i

Totally agree with OP's observations, though I have a base no-line.

But OP, I'm surprised you didn't mention the "top 3 things" I find missing in base cars: Sport seats, navi and a thick steering wheel.

Reg DHP: it's not the absence of DHP that makes the base car feel that way, it's more the nature of the base suspension that's very soft. Just upgrading the suspension on a base car completely transforms it.

If I had to do this again, I'd start with a sportline with nav instead of a noline base, and add MPS to it. I can happily skip the rest of the stuff (which I do understand are nice to have, I just don't need them or miss them from my previous car).
      06-19-2014, 12:13 PM   #13
snowghost
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 335i M-Sport 6MT

Quote:

I love the Comfort Access, and what if you hit the wrong button while it's in your pocket?
      06-19-2014, 12:29 PM   #14
Hogan
Private
Rep
Drives: G05 Msport and F30 Msport

I bought a service loaner. We were looking at a 14 f30 m sport (45k) our sales guy got us to look at a mineral grey 2013 service loaner w/ 15k miles for $29k including premium/lighting/convenience packages factory warranty etc. Very happy with the decision.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2014, 12:29 PM   #15
FC4
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowghost View Post
I love the Comfort Access, and what if you hit the wrong button while it's in your pocket?
Oh dear God, you better hope you don't hit the wrong button. The world is not going to end so it's nothing catastrophic, but I can't imagine the hardship one would have to go through if they accidentally hit the "lock" button instead of the "unlock" button while walking up to their car. It would ruin one's day for sure, so you have to be careful.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2014, 12:52 PM   #16
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinnum1 View Post
First world problems.
Quote:
Oh dear God, you better hope you don't hit the wrong button. The world is not going to end so it's nothing catastrophic, but I can't imagine the hardship one would have to go through if they accidentally hit the "lock" button instead of the "unlock" button while walking up to their car. It would ruin one's day for sure, so you have to be careful.
Take it easy guys.

Good review OP

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2014, 12:59 PM   #17
Bimmer-Mac
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 340xi M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC4
Quote:
This whole back-n-forth about Comfort Access is silly, but hopefully this an be an end-all.

Yes, everyone on here agrees Comfort Access is a convenience feature; not needed, but nice to have.

Yes, we all can use a key fob by taking it from our pockets or even pressing the buttons from outside pockets.

However, let me add some insight for you since you seem to not get the "want" for this feature: on my last vehicle I would lock/unlock through pockets. One time it was pouring rain and as I was running up to the car I did what I normally do to unlock, however I accidentally hit the trunk release which resulted in some important paperwork in there to be messed up. Had I had Comfort Access on that car, all would have been fine. Second, have you even considered the fact that women carry purses that generally have lots of shit in them? I know quite a few women with keyless systems that really love and appreciate it's benefit- not to mention how nice it is if you have kids you carry, to not have to fish for anything and just grab the handle.

And lastly, yes, this should be standard issue on BMWs considering much cheaper makes have this standard. If BMW does not see fit for base 320i, etc. to have it, a $50k+ 335i absolutely should.

Rant over.
Past: 2019 540i xDrive, 2016 340i xDrive, 2013 BMW 335i xDrive, 2014 428xi 'vert, 2010 VW CC 2.0T, 2008 Audi Q7 4.2 Premium
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2014, 01:12 PM   #18
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i M-Sport

Quote:
The loaner did not have comfort access. I had to actually get the FOB out of my pocket to unlock the passenger door and the back doors.
Those heartless bastards!
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2014, 01:13 PM   #19
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Your car will explode. Absolute worst case? You'll be "that guy" who's car alarm goes off in the parking lot for no reason....then your car will explode. Funny thing is...those things can still happen even with comfort access...the fob still has the buttons you know and I've had buttons accidentally depress while it's in my pocket.

This thread is funny though. I know the OP was joking about the lack of Comfort Access, but some people here are taking it way too seriously. It's just like the name implies, a comfort feature. I haven't had to take out my keys for 8 years since my last car also had a similar feature but it's not like I curse the gods if I find myself driving a car where I have to take the keys out.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2014, 01:40 PM   #20
bonabono
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 328xi

I hate carrying the fob in my pocket.
I want to inject the chip inside my wrist.
Who needs the emergency key anyways?

Maybe until the technology allows it, I will hang the fob around my neck and make sure the roundel blings.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2014, 02:10 PM   #21
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
+1

I thought your comment on the HUD was right on. At the start, I thought it was going to be a waste of $1k but I really miss it now when in other cars
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2014, 02:17 PM   #22
adhrp
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 M550i (G30)/2021 X3 (G02)

I think the HUD and comfort access are like smartphone vs feature phone - you don't need it if you've never had it, but once you experience it and get hooked on, there's no going back.

Sold/Retired: 2012 328i (F30)
Appreciate 0