BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos 2012 GTR = Around the 'Ring in 7:20

10-21-2010, 11:09 AM   #45
oct1285
Captain
Rep
Drives: Out of warranty

Quote:
Originally Posted by MediaArtist View Post
What? I can't believe I'm having this argument. Are you comparing the GTR to the M3 and 911 (any variants) when it comes to motorsport lineage?

How many ALMS, or GT2 Cups does the GTR have, or even entries for that matter?

Unbelievable.
No, he's not. He's saying heritage is heritage. I see internet is serious business aorund here.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2010, 11:24 AM   #46
graider
Colonel
Rep
Drives: py/kiwi e46 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmettBrown View Post
lol ok. a post on an internet forum changes the fact that i can go out and drive either car. think what you want, i dont care

i'm a pretty reputable member on both nagtroc and 6speedonline - which brings up a question: does your username have to be the same on all forums? i don't think so.

i guess the 997 and GTR that i bring to the local meets are kit cars then

i didn't know you had to sound like you have a ph.d everytime you post on a forum if you drive nice cars.
sorry if i was wrong.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2010, 11:49 AM   #47
escobar929
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Garage List
2020 M2 CS  [10.00]
2020 M240i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by oct1285 View Post
No, he's not. He's saying heritage is heritage. I see internet is serious business aorund here.
take a look at his sig, its no mistery why he wont drop the same argument.

I really dont understand the hatred for this car, maybe its cause I come from owning i shit ton of nissan so I dont see it the way some of you guys do. My fav car make is Porsche, ever since I was a lil kid, but even when I am able to buy one, I not gonna think any less of the GTR or any other car for that matter.

Seems to me most Porsche owners are butt hurt cause a car far less expensive is almost as fast or faster (if you believe Nissan) than their beloved Porsches, pretty pathetic
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2010, 11:56 AM   #48
Crimson92
Smiling Politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a boss

Quote:
What? I can't believe I'm having this argument. Are you comparing the GTR to the M3 and 911 (any variants) when it comes to motorsport lineage?

How many ALMS, or GT2 Cups does the GTR have, or even entries for that matter?

Unbelievable.
Im referring to your comment on the history of the vehicle. Not that racing lineage. Please don't mix the two
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2010, 12:14 PM   #49
MediaArtist
There is No Substitute
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi A6, 997 GT3 RS, E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson92 View Post
Im referring to your comment on the history of the vehicle. Not that racing lineage. Please don't mix the two
I never argued the "history of the GTR", even though it is a completely new car from the R32-34, everyone accepts it is a continuation of that lineage.

I was talking about racing lineage in my original post. So it seems, you were the one who mixed up the two.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2010, 12:18 PM   #50
MediaArtist
There is No Substitute
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by escobar929 View Post
take a look at his sig, its no mistery why he wont drop the same argument.

I really dont understand the hatred for this car, maybe its cause I come from owning i shit ton of nissan so I dont see it the way some of you guys do. My fav car make is Porsche, ever since I was a lil kid, but even when I am able to buy one, I not gonna think any less of the GTR or any other car for that matter.

Seems to me most Porsche owners are butt hurt cause a car far less expensive is almost as fast or faster (if you believe Nissan) than their beloved Porsches, pretty pathetic
I can't speak for other Porsche owners, but the only point I've put forth is that the GTR, R32-35, has never won a major cup against the competitors it says "it's beating" at the Ring. It's like a basketball team of top stars who score 32 points a game, but haven't won a championship. Ferrari is who they are right now because of what they've managed to accomplish by winning major races. So is Porsche, Corvette, and others. Those brands have decades of Cup wins that underscore their motorsport lineage, and I can't think of a single major cup win for the GTR and all of its variants. The R33 did compete in LeMans, but never scored higher than 10th place.

I don't care if the GTR is faster around the Nurburgring, or cost half as much. I'm sure many people who own Porsches could afford a GTR, so why would we be "butt hurt"?
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2010, 12:29 PM   #51
MediaArtist
There is No Substitute
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmettBrown View Post
rofl

everytime you say this to a GTR owner (and yes i own a GTR myself but am far from a GTR fanboy), they go on about how skylines in the 80s were the best - blah blah blah they were race cars etc etc

as impressive as the GTR is, you just cant compare nissan to porsche in the end. the funny thing is - how long did it take nissan to develop and plan out the GTR? like 5 years or something? where as porsche just shits out turbos and GT3s like nothing and they are far more superior in terms of quality (both ride and interior, etc etc). you're not just paying for the porsche name. (own a 997 turbo as well and no im not bragging but unlike many asshats, i can actually talk from personal experience whereas people just go with what they read on the internet and magazines)
Totally agree. People who say "Porsche and Ferrari are over priced" have no idea about what they're talking about. They think the GTR is only $75,000 and has similar stats, it must be a bargain! That ignores the fact that Porsche, and Ferrari are brands that have proven themselves on the professional level and have excelled. It's like arguing about why Michael Jordan's autographed basketball is worth more than one autographed by Dominique Wilkins.

I'm not going to bash the GTR, but if the GTR was so great, why doesn't it compete directly and win against competitive brands from around the world on the professional level?
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2010, 04:29 PM   #52
graider
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Totally agree. People who say "Porsche and Ferrari are over priced" have no idea about what they're talking about. They think the GTR is only $75,000 and has similar stats, it must be a bargain! That ignores the fact that Porsche, and Ferrari are brands that have proven themselves on the professional level and have excelled. It's like arguing about why Michael Jordan's autographed basketball is worth more than one autographed by Dominique Wilkins.

I'm not going to bash the GTR, but if the GTR was so great, why doesn't it compete directly and win against competitive brands from around the world on the professional level?
some good points. but i think you can't compare the autograph to car. car is something that people drive daily and can actually use. autograph is just to look at but you can't do anything with it. it's like saying i had an orgasm looking at jessica biel picture. more like i had an orgasm looking at jessica biel picture while banging the chick next door.

i think lot of people love porsche/ferrari because the actual production cars have soul and are a blast to drive. i mean if these cars are ugly as hell and drive like a toyota, no one would buy them even if their race cars won 24 races in a row.

so to many enthusiast, if the gtr car deliver what they expect for a good price. why not?
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2010, 05:41 PM   #53
Cloud
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AW 2009 E92 6MT

Quote:

JGTC
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2010, 06:00 PM   #54
LateBraking
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Relatively Quick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud View Post
JGTC
Indeed. Here's a link for that.

http://************/28ev9k5
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2010, 01:28 AM   #55
MediaArtist
There is No Substitute
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by graider View Post
some good points. but i think you can't compare the autograph to car. car is something that people drive daily and can actually use. autograph is just to look at but you can't do anything with it. it's like saying i had an orgasm looking at jessica biel picture. more like i had an orgasm looking at jessica biel picture while banging the chick next door.

i think lot of people love porsche/ferrari because the actual production cars have soul and are a blast to drive. i mean if these cars are ugly as hell and drive like a toyota, no one would buy them even if their race cars won 24 races in a row.

so to many enthusiast, if the gtr car deliver what they expect for a good price. why not?
Great. People should buy what makes them happy. BTW, most people here would spend money to have an orgasm with Jessica Biel, than a girl who sort of had her same proportions and sexual skill. There's a reason for that.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2010, 04:47 PM   #56
madfast
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 PB Evo X MR-T

Quote:
the answer is very, very simple. RULES.

the very things that make the GT-R as fast as it is (AWD, active diff, ASC/TC, DCT, Turbos, etc.) are almost always banned or severely restricted in motorsports.

case in point: which porsche is used in ALMS?
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2010, 04:50 PM   #57
graider
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Great. People should buy what makes them happy. BTW, most people here would spend money to have an orgasm with Jessica Biel, than a girl who sort of had her same proportions and sexual skill. There's a reason for that.
hey i would pay for the latter. much cheaper, less maintenance. i mean p is p right? hehe
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2010, 04:50 PM   #58
madfast
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 PB Evo X MR-T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud View Post
JGTC
JGTC is a joke. its like nascar where the actual production model bears almost no resemblance to the race car. they had turbo NSX's, V8 supras, etc... and friggin honda just won it with a car that was never produced for the street.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2010, 04:50 PM   #59
graider
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by madfast View Post

the very things that make the GT-R as fast as it is (AWD, active diff, ASC/TC, DCT, Turbos, etc.) are almost always banned or severely restricted in motorsports.

very valid point. i have not though about that.

also i don't think racing is a good measures for the street car counter part. e.g. m3 gt2 is competitive with gt3 rsr, but that doesn't mean the m3 is competitive with the gt3 rs on the street. race cars and street cars are so different IMO.

Last edited by graider; 10-27-2010 at 04:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2010, 07:26 PM   #60
MediaArtist
There is No Substitute
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by madfast View Post

I think this argument is getting kind of long in the tooth, but:

1) There is a FIA GT - GTR entry using a V8. But that's besides the point, you can go back to the R32-R34 and still not find a major win in any of the cups I mentioned.

2) The Porsche 911 GT3 RSR competes in the ALMS GT2 class.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2010, 08:53 PM   #61
Chenry135
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: former 2008 135i/ 2006 STI

^ I don't care what the numbers say on paper, but I would take your car over the GTR any day!
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2010, 10:24 PM   #62
1cleanm6
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M5 comp/Range/i3S

gt3rs> skyline ANYDAY.. i dont care if its a 800hp gtr

My 2 cents:

Whoever buys a car based on the N-ring times is an idiot. Porsche is the COMPLETE PACKAGE. You get class, looks, handeling, and everything else. What exactly this stupid time proves is completely relative. Everything i see a gt3, gt2, or gt3rs i just

Last edited by 1cleanm6; 10-27-2010 at 10:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2010, 10:33 PM   #63
boombastic
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 AMS GT-R & Powerchip X5M

Too bias maybe? Porsche is good for sure. but Nissan deserved a nod for the great job done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1cleanm3 View Post
gt3rs> skyline ANYDAY.. i dont care if its a 800hp gtr

My 2 cents:

Whoever buys a car based on the N-ring times is an idiot. Porsche is the COMPLETE PACKAGE. You get class, looks, handeling, and everything else. What exactly this stupid time proves is completely relative. Everything i see a gt3, gt2, or gt3rs i just
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2010, 10:55 PM   #64
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i 6MT

Honestly, no regular driver can sniff those times, so GTR owners acting all hard is just funny. They'd probably be lucky to do a 9:00 lap.

That said, I also call BS on their times. Porsche might be a little butt hurt, but their argument is that the 997 Turbo has a similar if not better power to weight and still can't match those times. There seems to be some truth to that.

I am not saying the GTR isn't absurdly impressive and good value. I am saying their "official" numbers are questionable given what other cars with similar stats are doing. Either they have a true "Stig" driving or their cars have been slightly modified.

Bottom line: I couldn't care less because 99.99% of drivers will never approach these numbers, period.

Last edited by BayMoWe335; 10-27-2010 at 11:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2010, 11:02 PM   #65
boombastic
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 AMS GT-R & Powerchip X5M

Agree with your bottom line. Also, enjoy your car.

QUOTE=BayMoWe335;8235637]Honestly, no regular driver can sniff those times, so GTR owners acting all hard is just funny. They'd probably be lucky to do a 9:00 lap.

That said, I also call BS on their times. Porsche might be a little but hurt, but their argument is that the 997 Turbo has a similar if not better power to weight and still loses.

I am not saying the GTR isn't absurdly impressive and good value. I am saying their "official" numbers are questionable given what other cars with similar stats are doing.

Bottom line: I couldn't care less because 99.99% of drivers will never approach these numbers, period.[/QUOTE]
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2010, 11:06 PM   #66
1cleanm6
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M5 comp/Range/i3S

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayMoWe335 View Post
Honestly, no regular driver can sniff those times, so GTR owners acting all hard is just funny. They'd probably be lucky to do a 9:00 lap.

That said, I also call BS on their times. Porsche might be a little but hurt, but their argument is that the 997 Turbo has a similar if not better power to weight and still loses.

I am not saying the GTR isn't absurdly impressive and good value. I am saying their "official" numbers are questionable given what other cars with similar stats are doing.

Bottom line: I couldn't care less because 99.99% of drivers will never approach these numbers, period.

Didnt you know? Gtr owners have small wieners lol. I heard at In n out some gtr owner claiming his car stock rips a 997tt apart at the ring. I was dying inside. Why? Because he cant even replicate that time if his life depended on it. (If the time is true afterall)

Ive never heard a porsche owner even care about all of this Nissan hype, seems like they dont even care. The gtr is 3800 pounds correct? Lets not even compare it to a reg 997.2 tt pdk. The gt2rs has 620 hp and is hundred of pounds slimmer and it got a 7:18 time. Theres no way a stock gtr can do 7:20. BS
Appreciate 0