BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Professional Motorsport Racing Discussion (IMSA, DTM, Formula 1, Grand-AM, Le Mans, IRL, WRC, etc..) Formula 1 Grande Premio Petrobras Do Brasil 2009

10-18-2009, 06:05 PM   #67
geoff2010
Mmmmmkay
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 S6 + 2017 340 M sport

It's amazing that we all forget that the type of racing we saw today is what F1 should be like EVERY weekend. It's weekends like this that I am reminded that 90% of the time, they all drive like pussies.

Yeah, they are fast and smooth, but nobody ever tries to overtake. They just adjust pit strategy and fuel loads to try and come out ahead... which leads to a bunch of guys spread out by 8 seconds doing their own thing.

Next year will be interesting with no refueling. Those are going to be some heavy cars at the starting lights
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2009, 06:45 PM   #68
Formel1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 135i

It's going to play havoc with the engineers and handling to start v. finish...crazy dry race from Brazil...Kimi still seeing dots...
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2009, 09:44 PM   #69
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: A BBS WHORE

Garage List
Trulli, McLaren, Kovalainen penalised for infringements

http://www.formula1.com/news/headlin.../10/10119.html
Quote:
Trulli, McLaren, Kovalainen penalised for infringements

The opening laps of Sunday’s Brazilian Grand Prix were a busy time for the Interlagos race stewards, with several incidents taking place in close succession. As a result Toyota’s Jarno Trulli, McLaren and their driver Heikki Kovalainen have each been handed penalties.

On the first lap Trulli and Force India’s Adrian Sutil tangled as the Italian attempted a move on the German. After considering video evidence and telemetry data, the stewards decided not to take any further action, labelling the coming together as a racing incident.

But after ‘failing to leave the track as required by the marshals immediately after the incident and aggressively confronting Sutil’, Trulli was found to have breached Article 151 (c) of the 2009 FIA International Sporting Code, which rules against ‘any act prejudicial to the interests of any competition or to the interests of motor sport generally.’ Consequently he was reprimanded and fined US$10,000.

With the safety car deployed for the Trulli-Sutil incident, there was drama in the pit-lane soon after, when Kovalainen exited his pit too early, leaving with his fuel hose still attached to the car. Ferrari’s Kimi Raikkonen, who was right behind the emerging McLaren, got a face fuel of fuel, which then ignited.

McLaren were fined $50,000 for the unsafe pit stop release, while their Finnish driver was given a drive-through penalty. As this was handed down after the race had finished, 25 seconds were instead added to his race time, dropping him from ninth to 12th in the final results.

An earlier Lap One incident between Kovalainen and Ferrari’s Giancarlo Fisichella, in which the McLaren driver was sent spinning into the Italian after being tagged by Red Bull’s Sebastian Vettel, was deemed a racing incident.
WTF??? The drive thru penalty to Kovalainen could be handed out during the race....they got almost the entire race to decide....its an obvious offence and should've just take then within 15 mins to determine the penalty....

In Singapore 2008, Massa was handed drive thru penalty well within the race....same as many "unsafe pit release" this season....wat's up with race control?
Attached Images

10-18-2009, 10:00 PM   #70
taliesen
Self Imposed Exile
Rep
Drives: 09 E90 328i

They most definitely should have handed Heikki a drive through during the race - thank goodness it didn't affect the real results at all.

Glad to see Trulli got some sort of penalty - but that was a bone headed passing attempt, and was certainly avoidable - he should have been dinged twice.
      10-19-2009, 02:03 AM   #71
MontegoblueE92
Captain
Rep
Drives: It Like He Stole It

Quote:
Originally Posted by taliesen View Post
They most definitely should have handed Heikki a drive through during the race - thank goodness it didn't affect the real results at all.

Glad to see Trulli got some sort of penalty - but that was a bone headed passing attempt, and was certainly avoidable - he should have been dinged twice.
+1. There's no way he was going to make that move. And then to run up to Sutil like did? He deserved it.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2009, 07:14 AM   #72
Formel1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 135i

+1...none effect on anything really substantial...just glad they didn't melt the Iceman, though I see he can't see - or at least is having problems after the flash fire and fuel...imagine the carnage if it had been a wet race...
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2009, 08:49 AM   #73
the///Mthree
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff2010 View Post
It's amazing that we all forget that the type of racing we saw today is what F1 should be like EVERY weekend. It's weekends like this that I am reminded that 90% of the time, they all drive like pussies.

Yeah, they are fast and smooth, but nobody ever tries to overtake. They just adjust pit strategy and fuel loads to try and come out ahead... which leads to a bunch of guys spread out by 8 seconds doing their own thing.

Next year will be interesting with no refueling. Those are going to be some heavy cars at the starting lights
Drive like pussies? It was just the way the race happened to play out. You have a few really good drivers on better setups starting in the back, obviously they are going to be making passes. Generally when qualifying is dry and the race is dry you dont see much passing because the fastest cars start up front and slower in the back. So how is a slower car going to pass a faster car.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2009, 10:01 AM   #74
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
This makes my eyes water...
What a great teammate....

If it was 2007 with Alonso and Hamilton....one would've put a bomb on it...

http://www.f1technical.net/news/13620

Quote:
Barrichello lends private jet to Button

Brawn GP driver Jenson Button, who was crowned 2009 World Champion after yesterday's Brazilian Grand Prix, was given a nice present by Rubens Barrichello. Button had been scheduled to fly back to London yesterday night, but team mate Barrichello lend him his private jet to fly home on Monday in order to celebrate the title with the team and his family.
      10-19-2009, 11:18 AM   #75
KANdaddy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 22 M3C XDrive-Ind Grey Blk

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90SLAM View Post
This makes my eyes water...
What a great teammate....

If it was 2007 with Alonso and Hamilton....one would've put a bomb on it...

http://www.f1technical.net/news/13620
Rubens is and always has been a class act.
      10-19-2009, 02:05 PM   #76
taliesen
Self Imposed Exile
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KANdaddy View Post
Rubens is and always has been a class act.
Except when he cries about the team screwing him over without really thinking about what he's saying first. Other than that, I agree with you.
      10-19-2009, 02:41 PM   #77
1BMW4fun
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 12 X3 2.8, 11 550

It was a great race! Do you guys think Kobayashi was impressive at the race? He was pretty good at fending off Kaz and Button for awhile. His style is the most aggressive I have seen.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2009, 02:57 PM   #78
Blake
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Chevy Aveo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BMW4fun View Post
It was a great race! Do you guys think Kobayashi was impressive at the race? He was pretty good at fending off Kaz and Button for awhile. His style is the most aggressive I have seen.
i'll be really interested to see him race a few more. i think he's probably earned a ride next year based solely on his performance yesterday. we'll see how he does in abu dhabi, but i was impressed. at times, i think he might have gone a little overboard for being the literal rookie, but i can see where he's fighting to keep driving vs. appeasing the rest of the pack.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2009, 03:25 PM   #79
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by taliesen View Post
Except when he cries about the team screwing him over without really thinking about what he's saying first. Other than that, I agree with you.
But looks like he's less bitter than Vettal...if you watch BBC interview....his face was so upset....
      10-20-2009, 01:18 PM   #80
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Lewis Hamilton in 2008, Car #22 to win WDC...
Jenson Button in 2009, Car #22 to win WDC...

both times they clinched the title in Brazil...
both times in P5....
both times the WDC were behild P4's Sebestian Vettel....
both using Mercedes engine...
both times we had a Brazilian sitting on pole position....
both times the WDC were not on the podium in Brazil....
both times the race was threaten with the hint of rain...(even tho there WAS rain in 2008, and none in 2009, but did messed up everyone's qualifying)
both times there's accidents and Safety Car deployed on Lap 1....

i just love the coincidences....
      10-20-2009, 01:22 PM   #81
Ramos
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20 2020 M340

Who will be car 22 next year? Buemi right? Maybe he will be champion.. who knows!!
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2009, 01:26 PM   #82
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramos View Post
Who will be car 22 next year? Buemi right? Maybe he will be champion.. who knows!!
Sato!

j/k....
      10-24-2009, 03:41 AM   #83
2M
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mineral Grey M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontegoblueE92 View Post
I don't think he deserved the win. His overly aggressive block on Raikonnen at the end of the first lap has made him a menace towards safety for all the drivers. Considering he is the head of the Driver's Association, he should be a better driver. This is not the first time he's done something stupid to stop from being overtaken. He didn't have a chance against the Ferrari, because with KERS power it was zooming passed and would've taken him in the braking zone. I think it's a crime that he wasn't slapped with at the very least, a drive through penalty. He really needs a monetary fine though.

Absolutely pathetic from someone who has A) been in the sport as long as he has B) head of the Driver's Association, whose main focus is safety.
blocking is legal (once and when entering a corner)..they only take it into consideration if it causes an accident...
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2009, 03:57 AM   #84
2M
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mineral Grey M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramos View Post
why are there 22 numbers if there are 20 drivers in the first place?
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2009, 08:04 AM   #85
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine3 View Post
why are there 22 numbers if there are 20 drivers in the first place?
Some numbers are considered unlucky and the FIA allows them not to use it...e.g. #13....and for some reason that we don't know of....#18 and #19 also not being used this season....

anyone knows why???
      10-24-2009, 08:07 AM   #86
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine3 View Post
blocking is legal (once and when entering a corner)..they only take it into consideration if it causes an accident...
well....it all depends how the stewards looked at it...

and if its involving a red car or a silver car....

/sarcasm....
      10-24-2009, 08:46 AM   #87
taliesen
Self Imposed Exile
Rep

Quote:
Some numbers are considered unlucky and the FIA allows them not to use it...e.g. #13....and for some reason that we don't know of....#18 and #19 also not being used this season....

anyone knows why???
Didn't actually notice that we skipped a set this year. I know they 'reset' the Honda numbers - they would have been 18 and 19 based on the 08 standings, but the Brawns are 22 and 23 this year. Would have thought they'd just bump everyone up, but I guess not.
      10-24-2009, 09:33 AM   #88
xbook
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 EBII M235i & '06 R53 GP

Garage List
2006 MINI Cooper S GP  [0.00]
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
2008 E82  [0.00]
Quote:
http://www.formula1.com/news/headlin.../10/10119.html

WTF??? The drive thru penalty to Kovalainen could be handed out during the race....they got almost the entire race to decide....its an obvious offence and should've just take then within 15 mins to determine the penalty....

In Singapore 2008, Massa was handed drive thru penalty well within the race....same as many "unsafe pit release" this season....wat's up with race control?

Isn't there a prevailing thought that the stewards and the FIA have a serious allegiance to Ferrari. And this is why...hang on wait, this is McLaren .... WTF? Why was there NO penalty?? At least a drive thru. Come on they doused a driver in fuel then he was lit ablaze. Surely that is against the rules?