BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Aftermarket LED headlight bulbs: Phillips Ultinon

11-30-2018, 11:04 AM   #23
Ridin'Dirty
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '93 'Beemer' R100r, '17 X1(S)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougdmg View Post
How did your mechanic gain access to the headlight bulbs? I was told by BMW that you have to take the wheel well lining off. Is this true?
Access is gained through a little "trap door" panel that's removed on the inner wheel well. See this vid:

If that opening isn't present, then yes, you'll have to remove the wheel liner .

Last edited by Ridin'Dirty; 11-30-2018 at 12:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2018, 02:06 PM   #24
ramchop
Registered
Rep
Drives: X1 F48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmhockey1920 View Post
He just charged me 1 hour of labor. I believe it was $100 to install both bulbs. I stay away from the dealership at all costs. I found this guy on a BMW forum and he happened to open a BMW shop here in Nashville.

Did you upgrade from the original equipment halogen bulbs to LEDs. Yes, I upgraded from the original halogen bulbs to LEDs. I attached a picture below of the bulbs on in my garage during the day. You can also see the difference in the color of the low beam (LED) and fog lights (halogen at the moment)

Did you have to or know if the mechanic had to code anything? And if so, is there an issue with coding with a mismatch between the fronts having LEDs but none in the rear?
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2018, 01:43 PM   #25
Jmhockey1920
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X1

I will have to ask when I go in next Friday to get the fog/front turn signal bulbs done. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2018, 07:52 AM   #26
ramchop
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmhockey1920 View Post
I will have to ask when I go in next Friday to get the fog/front turn signal bulbs done. Thanks!
Any updates?
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2018, 08:31 AM   #27
sarunahs
Registered
Rep
Drives: E46

Hey, guys, so as I understand, if I have halogen headlights, I can change the halogen bulbs into LEDs plug n play? Only have to do some coding with bimmercode? And they will work fine, no balasts or stuff like with xenons?
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2018, 10:35 AM   #28
iceman7
Second Lieutenant
Greece
Rep
Drives: X1 LCI sDrive 18i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarunahs View Post
Hey, guys, so as I understand, if I have halogen headlights, I can change the halogen bulbs into LEDs plug n play? Only have to do some coding with bimmercode? And they will work fine, no balasts or stuff like with xenons?
Yes!
Only some coding with Bimmercode!
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2018, 03:34 PM   #29
Proper
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X1 M-Sport

Is there room for a fan and heat sink behind the stock fog lights? Like is there that plastic dust shield there? I plan on running white leds for fogs and was wondering if there is room for the heat sink and fan.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2019, 05:22 AM   #30
link_sy
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proper View Post
Is there room for a fan and heat sink behind the stock fog lights? Like is there that plastic dust shield there? I plan on running white leds for fogs and was wondering if there is room for the heat sink and fan.
The space is a bit tight so don't recommend you trying to push too much in there.

Upgraded to the Phillips for the low beams a while back and it's hands down the best investment I've made.

Thinking of adding these to the fog lamps just to have that consistency. I know it's a hefty price tag but when you consider how easy it is to install and the visibility seems worth it. Anyone upgraded to these?

Philips X-tremeUltinon Gen2 H7 LED Bulbs 5800K +250% PX26d 11972XUWX2 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MMTRRZ1..._3dMyDb3MWSD70
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2019, 02:45 PM   #31
Skyline2.0
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X1 xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proper View Post
Most likely no - I tried to use Philips X-tremeUltinon 2 (H8) LEDs but I ran into the problem you noted - dust shield behind fog light housing did not provide enough clearance. But, there may be a brand that has a small enough heat sink.

If it's too large and you're set on a particular brand, you can make it fit by cutting out a small hole in the plastic for the heat sink housing to clear, but I preferred not to "modify" the car in a detrimental way as there were other options available.

I went with the Beamtech H8s (no protruding heat sink) and they've been going strong for ~13k miles and 7+ months now. I cannot differentiate the light color difference between Beamtech fogs and stock LED DRLs (halogen light assembly).
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2019, 11:02 PM   #32
Xorbitman
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X1

I was lucky, my 2018 X1 that we purchased new in late January came with LED lights. However the fogs were halogen so to match the color of the OEM LEDs I bought a pair of LED Fogs and they are so bright that they are like high beams. BTW my X1 also came with lights that illuminate corners when you turn. I replaced the tail lights with LED's too. Had the X1 coded with all sorts of extras for things like: hold the close button on the handles and the mirrors fold and everything closes including sunroof cover. Leave you hand on the handle to unlock longer or the unlock button on the key fob and it opens the mirrors, unlocks the doors, opens all the windows both front and rear, opens the sunroof cover and sunroof. Great on a hot day. Extra options on the HUD and LCD displays in the dash....
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2020, 11:11 AM   #33
fcbayern04
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW F48

Can someone who bought the Beamtech H8s be able to confirm that they fit with no modifications? Are they holding up well? Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2020, 12:11 PM   #34
Skyline2.0
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcbayern04 View Post
Can someone who bought the Beamtech H8s be able to confirm that they fit with no modifications? Are they holding up well? Thank you!
I confirmed it in my post above. No modification. I've had the Beamtechs for about 1 year and 4 months now. They still work.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2020, 08:46 PM   #35
fcbayern04
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW F48

Awesome I appreciate the response. Did you have to make any adjustments to the fog light alignment or was it pretty much just plug and play?
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2020, 08:54 AM   #36
Skyline2.0
First Lieutenant
Rep

Plug and play. You'll likely need to code the bulb type to LED afterwards.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2023, 08:21 PM   #37
link_sy
Private
Rep

Hi guys

So my set of Phillips Ultinon gave up last week. One of the bulbs has stopped working. Since the older models are no longer available, can anyone confirm if the newer Philips Ultinon Pro3021 will fit

Thanks
Appreciate 0