BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Problems with the windscreen wipers.

04-05-2017, 01:13 PM   #67
BMW X1 4 Me
Enlisted Member
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvol View Post
Yes, Trico Exact Fit or equivalent is the way to go... Bosch is not using good rubber these days-- too hard.
The Bosch aerotwin works fine.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2017, 03:39 PM   #68
CliveL
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2016 X1 F48 xDrive20i xLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTracey View Post
In the UK the Bosch Part Numbers for the areotwin blades for the F48 are :
AP16U (Passenger side)
AP26U (Driver Side)
I've just installed the new 26" Bosch AP26U blade in the dark after my Amazon delivery today, in the hope that the smearing will go away. It was adapter number 4 for anyone else that goes for these, and although the wiper arm felt fairly well sprung, I'm hoping for an improvement

Still waiting for the 16" passenger side one to turn up...
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2017, 03:21 PM   #69
Edtheted
Edtheted
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2017 X1 1.8 sDrive xLine auto

Garage List
Fitted the Bosch ones to my 2017 X1 xLine it sorted the smear,I hope BMW are reading this forum and do something about this wiper problem that we all have had.
      06-22-2017, 06:43 PM   #70
Woodgnome60
Registered
Rep
Drives: F48 X1

Thumbs down Smear from new

My wipers have smeared since the first time it rained, two weeks after ownership. The route cause is the steep windscreen and the arms not being precisely at the right angle to stop a minute amount of chatter at anything under heavy rain. The problem is normally most apparent and visible at night or at twilight if there is light rain.

The only way to fix it is to twist the arms slightly - but I am not brave enough. The trick is to change the angle just enough - but they must be designed/manufactured incorrectly as it appears to be on so many new vehicles.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2017, 07:35 AM   #71
danielsan
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 xDrive 18d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockwell View Post
Hi All, my X1 was produced Nov 2016.. I have similar driver side wiper issue as you guys. What I did to fix/work around the issue is to put the Wiper in service position. (turn on, then off power, hold wiper stick for 5sec, then wiper will up and stop vertical pos) pull out the wiper to tension the spring outward overnight... next morning, my wiper work perfectly.

I think this just stretch the wiper spring to lower the tension.
Ahh thanks neighbour (originally from MrsSauga) - I haven't been able to figure out how to get my wipers to Service position. I just brought my X1 in for servicing (recall notice) yesterday. I noted the same wiper smearing issue you all have (to be precise, it happens on the drivers side just at the end range of the passenger side wiper).

The service rep couldn't figure out how to get it to service position, and he also wiped the wiper with a paper towel - and it was dirty. I ended up cleaning my wipers for a good 10 minutes last night, there's a lot of dirtyness that keeps on giving - so I don't know if that's adding to the smearing.

I applied Aquapel yesterday and there is lots of rain in the forecast, so I'll see if the combination of AquaPel + cleaner wipers will make any difference.

Also, my X1 was produced in Dec 2016.

Last edited by danielsan; 06-29-2017 at 07:37 AM.. Reason: Production date
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2017, 05:37 AM   #72
aafarup
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 F48 sDrive 18d

I picked up my X1 4 weeks back and its doing the same thing on the driver side and its a RHD. will take it to the Dealer during the weekend. Anyone from Australia had this issue?
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2017, 10:50 PM   #73
eml
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 Coupe, F48 X1 xDr25i

Have had it. Mentioned it to service during its first check but didn't get solved (good thing it rained quite often so had an early chance to test). Will be listing it down on the next trip.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2017, 04:20 AM   #74
BMW X1 4 Me
Enlisted Member
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 M Sport

For everyone with this problem:

Buy other wipers!!!!

For example: Bosch aerotwin

and your wiper problems are over!!!
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2017, 06:41 AM   #75
ytzbmw
Rep
Drives: X1

Had this issue as well - replaced drivers side with the Trico Force and all is well now. Cheap BMW wiper blades are the cause.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2017, 05:57 PM   #76
Edtheted
Edtheted
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2017 X1 1.8 sDrive xLine auto

Garage List
My Dec 2016 X1 had the same problem I through the original BMW ones away and fitted Bosch Aerotwin flat blades, problem solved.
      04-13-2020, 06:05 AM   #77
BMW_LV
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 F48 FL 2020

Happy Easter to all of you first of all!
Unfortunatelly I have to admit that there is same problem on my wife's brand new X1 F48 facelift model, which was purchased Feb-2020, at local BMW dillership, same problem with windshield wiper blade, exactly on the driver's side, leaving water smears, dirty sectors on the way back from it's vertical position. I've approached dealership and they had replaced wiper blade less than month and unfortunatelly same problems start to happen again few days ago, car has only 1500km on the odometer, little driving during these days of quarantine. I have called dealer once again, hopefully they will agree to exchange wiper once again and will see what happens then. Actually I checked these replaced winshield wipers as well and they are made in Belgium, thus should be good quality, more of it, there is label, symbol Bosch on them....
I read from one of you about option to reverse ( to turn) actual rubber blade, however I can not remove that plastic clip on either side of blade, afraid to break it, as it's still under warranty...
Will see if problem will return third time after visit, otherwise I will also purchase Bosch Aerotwin wipers AP26U myself and hopefully this stupidity will end then once and forever...
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2020, 07:28 AM   #78
Jorix
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 120d, BMW X1 xDrive20d

I had exactly the same issue on my brand new X1. Bought a 10 euro wiper blade from a gas station - problem solved.

I can't believe that this is a 4-year old known issue and BMW won't fix it, even tho the fix is so trivial.. Especially that this is potentially a life-threatening issue when it is raining heavily.

Last edited by Jorix; 04-13-2020 at 07:34 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2020, 08:24 AM   #79
BrianJ
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW F48 X1 xDrive20i Sport B48

Our new X1 does this slightly on the driver's side (RHD). If I look very carefully at the angle that the rubber makes with the windscreen in each direction of travel, it is obvious that the angle of the blade held by the arm isn't quite equal. When I've had this problem with previous vehicles the solution has been to carefully twist the metal arm - I've tried this with the X1 but the arm is so strong it is impossible. I think it is a design/manufacturing defect relating to the exact angle of the arm, but they will no doubt be pretty much identical. Blades from other than OE may have a bit more tolerance to this which I will try at replacement time.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2020, 05:15 AM   #80
ttimbo
Major
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 25i AW; F20 M135i AW

It is an issue that I've learned to live with; if you change wiper rubbers every 6-9 mths (longer in a dry climate), it's fine.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2020, 12:57 PM   #81
BMW_LV
Rep

Yes, looks like it's a serial defect for F48. Let me explain why...
I could not wait until this Friday, when I will have appointment, service visit at local dealership for this issue, so today I already purchased one new Bosch Aerotwin wiper AP26U and to my big surprise problem is nearly gone. It wipes most of the bad spots from old original one, however the very last vertical position still smears back about 3cm of rain water at its middle, thus I have a bad feeling that in a month or two it will become same as the old one...
Will see what local dealership will say, off course fitted with their original wiper.
BTW the AP26U purchased today is also made in Serbia. The original is made in Belgium...
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2020, 10:41 PM   #82
sdp77
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X1

Has anyone tried Bosch Envision?
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2020, 05:38 PM   #83
ttimbo
Major
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 25i AW; F20 M135i AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp77 View Post
Has anyone tried Bosch Envision?
I've tried a few different types — doesn't seem to make much difference
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2020, 05:03 PM   #84
BMW_LV
Rep

I took the car to the local BMW dealership around week ago and they exchanged windshield window viper on the driver's side once again, same Bosch, made in Belgium. In addition they took note that item was already changed one month ago, around 800km ago, which is unusual situation. In addition they explained to me that they also performed specific measurements and even took video recording on the viper movement and angle of the rubber "blade" touching the windshield glass, which might be wrong. As per their advice, if the defect will re occour, I should advise them and they might have to request BMW to get approval to change entire viper arm. Up to now - 5 days of driving, unfortunately hardly any rain, but I tested by water jet from garden water hose and it seems that exchanged viper works way better now, no any smears etc.
I reckon it also depends on the age of viper, due to rubber hardness, as some of these vipers are kept long time in dry warehouses, the rubber is losing its softness and smooth operation... Will see how it will perform in longer period of time.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2020, 05:40 AM   #85
Artur_L
Registered
Estonia
Rep
Drives: Bmw x1’19

Hey guys!
I own a 2019 end lci f48
I’ve been having same trouble with my wipers. Driver side smeers. Local dealer changed wipers 2 times allready. Measured the distance between the wiper arm and glass. Distance was fine. Dealer occused, that i had some sort of rain repellent on my windscreen. They washed my windsrceer several times. Dealer is located 60km from my home. So at least 2 times i drove over 100km so they could wash my windsrcreen. Nice try.
But since then, it seems, that they have used some very strong chemicals, and my windscreen has now 3d effect. I tried several times to get it on picture, but camera doesnt get those swirls. I guess they washed off top layer from the windscreen. I’m getting my windscreen replaced by the warranty next week, also got bosch wiper blades, because i dont want the oem crap installed again. And also they refused to change wipers by the warranty. Seems a little bit odd. Usually, when changing windscreen wipers are also replaced automatically. Last time they offered me new wipers with discount, only for 30€ per set. Normal price is 80€. A little bit over priced, even in the 30€ case, for wipers that work less than a week.
I’ll update when everything is replaced and i have tested the new combo.

Also friends owning f49 x2 claims same problem. But he got used to it, or i dont know what happened. He never went to the dealer with this problem

Cheers from Estonia!
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2020, 10:43 AM   #86
oakey46
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 2 A/T 220i Lux Auto 1.5

I had this issue on my 2018 X1 (factory fit) wiper blades, which juddered at the driver side blade end after cleaning the car, probably because of getting the car shampoo on the screen.
I could clear it after using a good quality glass cleaner (UK Autoglym Car Glass Polish), waiting for it to fully dry on the windscreen after application and then polishing off. No juddering afterwards.
I also tried using Autoglym Fast Glass, which is a spray on cleaner, but that made no difference whatever, so I have now demoted it to use around our greenhouse windows!.
I have subsequently, on the X1 reaching 2 years old, changed both front blades for Bosch Aerotwin wipers. Again, I found some juddering after cleaning the car, but using the Car Glass Polish clears the issue.
Have also had judder on the rear wiper, which is still the original blade, but this also stops after using the same cleaning product.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2020, 10:56 AM   #87
Beagler
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Sept 2019 Facelift X1 MSPORT

Just for interest what screenwash do you guys use.
      05-22-2020, 02:02 PM   #88
oakey46
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 2 A/T 220i Lux Auto 1.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beagler View Post
Just for interest what screenwash do you guys use.
BMW and I buy a 5 litre container from my local dealer. It’s concentrated so lasts me up to a year or more.
Appreciate 0