BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) BMW X1 xDrive 25e Test Mule spotted completely undisguised

02-29-2020, 10:35 AM   #1
markymark666
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: M135i F21

BMW X1 xDrive 25e Test Mule spotted completely undisguised

BMW X1 xDrive 25e Test Mule spotted (Hybrid Test Vehicle) completely undisguised.

Any thoughts?
Appreciate 1
      02-29-2020, 10:38 AM   #2
Salty Dog
Captain
Rep
Drives: Austin Mini,MBGLK, Porsche 993

I hate the new grills, and my overall impression is meh.
Appreciate 1
      02-29-2020, 10:42 AM   #3
markymark666
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty Dog View Post
I hate the new grills, and my overall impression is meh.
Exactly what I thought... Why???
Appreciate 2
Salty Dog3572.50
      02-29-2020, 10:46 AM   #4
BeEmVe
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 X1 x28i M-Sport

Given that the one item that kills me from having any interest many newer BMWs is the front grills that look like the ass end of a 200 liter drum (55 gallon drum for the metric impaired) I can say that while not totally pleasing they are not horrid compared to some of the others. The grills look better with all black trim. At that point it comes down the mechanical specs. There are much better videos out there:

Last edited by BeEmVe; 02-29-2020 at 10:55 AM..
Appreciate 1
Salty Dog3572.50
      02-29-2020, 10:54 AM   #5
Salty Dog
Captain
Rep
Drives: Austin Mini,MBGLK, Porsche 993

Quote:
Originally Posted by markymark666 View Post
Exactly what I thought... Why???
So just generally I've never really liked the smaller BMW X's, they just seem a bit toy like I think is the best way I can describe them. I did take a long hard look at an X5M a few years ago and liked the size and over all package.

Then there's the grill, there has been a lot of comments about the new grills and I thought they looked bad in pictures. I was out for a walk yesterday and saw what I gather was a 2020 BMW something, I honestly was so shocked at the grill that I failed to notice much else about the car. I have to assume the BMW design and marketing got together and decided this was the way to go, and I know there is something for everyone (some guys like fat girls), but damn the thing just was shocking, it was like vomit, I couldn't look away.

So, meh.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2020, 10:59 AM   #6
markymark666
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeEmVe View Post
Given that the one item that kills me from having any interest many newer BMWs is the front grills that look like the ass end of a 200 liter drum (55 gallon drum for the metric impaired) I can say that while not totally pleasing they are not horrid compared to some of the others. The grills look better with all black trim. At that point it comes down the mechanical specs. There are much better videos out there:
Sure! It was an accidentally find... Had to shoot it
Appreciate 2
Salty Dog3572.50
      02-29-2020, 03:17 PM   #7
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Yes...it is a bugs bunny grill and not attractive but at least it is better than the one that is coming on the 3/4 series! Degree of hideousness.
Appreciate 2
Salty Dog3572.50
      03-01-2020, 01:40 AM   #8
Feddersen
Lieutenant
Denmark
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive25i

Normally I hate the big grills but I really do like them on the X1. They somehow belong there for me. I actually waited to order my X1 in order to get the big grills.

About the 25e I find it a shame that there is absolutely no way to tell it is a hybrid. I would like to see a special color, speciel trim or something else that said "I am different".
      03-01-2020, 01:55 AM   #9
markymark666
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feddersen View Post
Normally I hate the big grills but I really do like them on the X1. They somehow belong there for me. I actually waited to order my X1 in order to get the big grills.

About the 25e I find it a shame that there is absolutely no way to tell it is a hybrid. I would like to see a special color, speciel trim or something else that said "I am different".
At least there is the lid for the power connection on the left ...

Last edited by markymark666; 03-01-2020 at 02:16 AM..
Appreciate 2
      03-01-2020, 09:33 PM   #10
ttimbo
Major
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 25i AW; F20 M135i AW

I'm unsure what is so special about this PHEV. Isn't it fundamentally the same as the MINI Countryman PHEV, which has been around for a couple of years?
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2020, 11:17 PM   #11
Feddersen
Lieutenant
Denmark
Rep

Its battery is a bit bigger but the rest is the same.
      03-02-2020, 06:35 AM   #12
dianebrat
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 orange x2 xDrive28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttimbo View Post
I'm unsure what is so special about this PHEV. Isn't it fundamentally the same as the MINI Countryman PHEV, which has been around for a couple of years?
It's a BMW..
But it's just another product line that appeals to s different market of buyers, you can't blame them.
Appreciate 2
ttimbo280.00
      03-02-2020, 06:47 AM   #13
lilstevie
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW i5

I know it only has the B38 3-cyl under the hood, but I really wish it had the twin exhaust tips, even if one was fake.
Appreciate 2
      03-07-2020, 11:46 PM   #14
markymark666
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep

Quote:
BMW X1 xDrive 25e Test Mule spotted (Hybrid Test Vehicle) completely undisguised.

Any thoughts?
I think projects of this kind are the near future, whether you like it or not. After that, the gasoline engine is dead...

We will have to go electric or hydrogen.

it's just hysteria
Appreciate 1
      03-08-2020, 12:46 AM   #15
Feddersen
Lieutenant
Denmark
Rep

By combining CO2 and hydrogen you can actually create CO2 neutral efuel that is chemical identical to normal fossil fuel. It is called e-fuel. Fx: https://nordicbluecrude.no/

With this technology every fossil fuel car existing on earth could drive carbon neutral today with no change to the existing technology.I would gladly pay extra for this kind of fuel in order to keep my fossil fuel car.
      03-08-2020, 04:34 AM   #16
ttimbo
Major
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 25i AW; F20 M135i AW

Quote:
Quote:
[SIZE="4"]BMW X1 xDrive 25e Test Mule spotted (Hybrid Test Vehicle) completely undisguised.[/SIZE]

Any thoughts?
I think projects of this kind are the near future, whether you like it or not. After that, the gasoline engine is dead...

We will have to go electric or hydrogen.

it's just hysteria
Had you been through the sort of Summer we just experienced in Australia, you might start questioning whether it really is hysteria!
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2020, 04:12 AM   #17
lonegun
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 F48

Quote:
By combining CO2 and hydrogen you can actually create CO2 neutral efuel that is chemical identical to normal fossil fuel. It is called e-fuel. Fx: https://nordicbluecrude.no/

With this technology every fossil fuel car existing on earth could drive carbon neutral today with no change to the existing technology.I would gladly pay extra for this kind of fuel in order to keep my fossil fuel car.
That's cool and all, but electric motors are just superior in so many ways that it's hard to go back once you have driven a good one. That instant rollercoaster torque without having to build up turbo is extremely addicting. Small size of the electric motors mean you can cram multiple motors in one car making some absolutely monster torque. You can drive like a madman everyday without hurting your wallet filling up gas, not to mention close-to-nil maintenance cost of electric cars.

But I think hybrid cars are stupid when it comes to longevity (due to complexity), performance, trunk space and weight so I am fully against the X1 25e as well. Either gas or full electric please, BMW....... just not with the fake insane nostril grills please =(
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2020, 09:01 AM   #18
00max00
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 - option loaded

A powertrain is not complete without proper energy delivery. Electric cars just doesn't work without solving the battery issue. Fuel cell is a better solution but has no infrastructure support.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2020, 01:26 PM   #19
lonegun
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00max00 View Post
A powertrain is not complete without proper energy delivery. Electric cars just doesn't work without solving the battery issue. Fuel cell is a better solution but has no infrastructure support.
Even at the current state, people usually just charge the car at home at night, which gives it more than enough for the day. Tesla’s wide spread super chargers are great as well not to mention the fast chargers in every mall and a lot of park now.

But things are about to get a lot better thanks to graphene battery techs. Phones and power bank coming out this year have this tech, which already allows 30%+ more capacity for the same size, 2x charger speed, way safer than lithium and less heating up.

As for fuel cell, hydrogen is even more expensive than the gasoline now, and that cost won’t go down to below gasoline even if it’s wide spread. Not to mention the weaker performance of hydrogen cars due to low energy density. I highly recommend the video “The truth about hydrogen” by real engineering (he made this video after doing a sponsored video for shell on promoting hydrogen) and “why hydrogen engines are a bad idea” by engineering explained.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2020, 01:56 PM   #20
Feddersen
Lieutenant
Denmark
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonegun View Post
That's cool and all, but electric motors are just superior in so many ways that it's hard to go back once you have driven a good one. That instant rollercoaster torque without having to build up turbo is extremely addicting. Small size of the electric motors mean you can cram multiple motors in one car making some absolutely monster torque. You can drive like a madman everyday without hurting your wallet filling up gas, not to mention close-to-nil maintenance cost of electric cars.

But I think hybrid cars are stupid when it comes to longevity (due to complexity), performance, trunk space and weight so I am fully against the X1 25e as well. Either gas or full electric please, BMW....... just not with the fake insane nostril grills please =(
Right now I don't care about the EVs. Yes, they are superior in some terms and they bring us back to the era before the turbo-engines which I really like. BUT! There is no way to substitute weight with engine power in regards of driving dynamics so I would certainly prefer an ICE car with e-fuels over an EV.

When the weight and charge issue is solved I am all in.
      03-15-2020, 03:42 AM   #21
lonegun
Private
Rep

Quote:
Right now I don't care about the EVs. Yes, they are superior in some terms and they bring us back to the era before the turbo-engines which I really like. BUT! There is no way to substitute weight with engine power in regards of driving dynamics so I would certainly prefer an ICE car with e-fuels over an EV.

When the weight and charge issue is solved I am all in.
NA engine is more responsive than turbo yes, but it’s still no where near the instantaneous reaction of electric motors. Not to mention the lack of the need to waste time changing gear (for most electric cars).

As for weight, yes electric cars are heavier now. But weight is actually a strength for electric cars as motors and batteries can be strategically placed to increase downforce and improve handling. This is only the beginning of electrification and we are already seeing electric cars like model S, taycan, ep9 setting amazing lap times in Nurburgring. Weight is not a problem for sure.
Appreciate 0