BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Sunroof Air Leak

01-27-2020, 11:23 AM   #1
MichaelInChicago
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 650xi GC

Sunroof Air Leak

On our 2016 X1, we have started to hear air coming in from the front of the sunroof even when it is closed. There is actually no air penetrating the car but you do hear it, especially at highway speeds. When we push up at the front of the sunroof, the sound disappears.

We went to the dealer and they said it is most likely the seal, and if it is, that is not covered under the extended warranty and they would have to charge me a one hour as a diagnostic fee. I guess I will have my indy BMW guy repair it for a much lower cost and save me this ridiculous diagnostic fee.

Anyone ever have this sound in their X1 and is it the seal?

Thanks

Last edited by MichaelInChicago; 01-27-2020 at 11:30 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2020, 01:20 PM   #2
rice_rocket88
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E60 F48 F39

I can't answer it for the X1, but on my e60 there is TONS of air noise as the car gets old and it is indeed the air seal. $50 and 1 hr of my time to rip it off and put it in.. and happy as a clam. I'm kind of surprised that something simple like that would not be under warranty for really a little under 4 yrs old. Honestly if that is the case I would certainly just do it myself if possible. You know what.. I suppose if it was the seal what you could do is literally put painters tape all over the outside seal and if it's quiet, then it is indeed wind noise from that seal. Painters tape will come off without leaving a sticky residue.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2020, 11:07 PM   #3
satz
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 M40i

It's possible it's the seal...but you say the sounds goes when you push upwards on the sunroof. So based on that, it might be just an alignment issue.

Have you tried firstly, to 'reset' the sunroof? I think the manual usually outlines the procedure for that.

I remember a BMW master tech telling me that to minimise the wind noise from the sunroof, the leading edge needs to be a little lower than the car body, and slightly higher at the trailing edge..

cheers
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2020, 09:31 PM   #4
MichaelInChicago
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks to both of you. I will try the reset then the seal.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2020, 03:44 PM   #5
MichaelInChicago
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I tried resetting the pano roof and the wind noise is still there.

As well, when I push up at the front of the closed roof glass when driving, the wind noise disappears.

Would that lead you to think it is the seal?
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2020, 04:32 AM   #6
X1Johnny
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bmw x1 m sport

I have the issue with my roof. Dealer said because i bought the car in AZ and live in PA the weather variance from the heat to cold messed up the seal. Having replaced this week. Will let you know.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2024, 01:07 PM   #7
FluegelX1
Rep
Drives: 2019 X1

Wind noise from sunroof fix

I have dealt with wind noise from the sunroof of my wife's 2019 X1 since we got it with 50k miles on it. Its now at 75k and I finally fixed it. I did some measuring of the gaps between the roof and glass in the front and back of the sunroof. There was a decent difference in the front. To the point I could easily stick a credit card in the gap between the seal and the front glass. I thought I was going to need a new seal. Last night I got to inspecting the glass from inside the vehicle. I loosened the 4 T25 bolts (these would have to be removed if you replaced the seal) holding the rear glass in place ( this was with the front glass portion tilted up) and moved the back glass forward just a bit. I then tightened the back glass in place. I then closed the front glass and loosened the 6 T25 bolts and moved it forward a bit to where there was no gap between the glass and seal. I then tightened the bolts up and it is way better now. I did have to push down from the top and then tighten the bolts on the front and rear glasses. The job may be easier with 2 people but I was able to do it myself. Drove the vehicle this morning and it is 100% better. I hope this helps some of you!
Appreciate 0