BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Perpendicular parking with driver assistance package

05-03-2016, 05:05 PM   #1
newx1
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2016 X1

Perpendicular parking with driver assistance package

Hello,

I bought my X1 a few days back with the Driver Assistance package. The Parking Assistant is part of the Driver Assistance Package. It does have the automatic parallel parking capability but does not have the automatic perpendicular parking capability.

I was told by the BMW Genius that some cars have the automatic perpendicular parking ability as well and it depends on the production date. His theory was that production date Mar 2016 and beyond will have the perpendicular parking feature along with the parallel parking as well.

Anyone on this forum who has the new X1 which can do perpendicular parking in the USA ?
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2016, 08:32 PM   #2
newx1
Enlisted Member
Rep

Anyone ? I guess there should be some 2016 BMW X1 in USA with the Parking Assistant.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2016, 01:11 AM   #3
M-Nick
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW

Mine is a march 2016 build and it only have parallel parking capability, not perpendicular parking

Last edited by M-Nick; 05-04-2016 at 05:02 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2016, 01:39 AM   #4
newx1
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-Nick View Post
Mine is a mars build and it only have parallel parking capability, not perpendicular parking
I was told that some X1's with March build have the perpendicular parking and some do not. Lets see if there is anyone else in USA that has perpendicular parking enabled with the Parking Assistant feature.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2016, 06:31 AM   #5
ando
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: i5 eDr40, G80 and F80

Garage List
2024 BMW i5 eDr40  [10.00]
2022 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
No help here. Feb build just parallel. Nonetheless I really like this feature.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2016, 07:27 AM   #6
KPD
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F48 xDrive 20i xLine

There is no mention of this what so ever anywhere on the UK, US or Intl. BMW websites. But if true, it would be great if it's just a firmware update.

Did you buy your car off the lot or is it a factory order? Maybe the sales rep was trying to push you for a factory order (which will be more expensive)?
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2016, 07:35 AM   #7
sdb123
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPD View Post
There is no mention of this what so ever anywhere on the UK, US or Intl. BMW websites. But if true, it would be great if it's just a firmware update.

Did you buy your car off the lot or is it a factory order? Maybe the sales rep was trying to push you for a factory order (which will be more expensive)?
That's what I thought...I went onto the UK configurator today and the wording for Park Assist now mentions perpendicular, whereas I'm sure it mentioned parallel when I last looked.

I'm not getting my hopes up.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2016, 07:47 AM   #8
KPD
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdb123 View Post
That's what I thought...I went onto the UK configurator today and the wording for Park Assist now mentions perpendicular, whereas I'm sure it mentioned parallel when I last looked.

I'm not getting my hopes up.
Wow. I checked last night and nothing. UK configurator is now offline and THIS PAGE seems to have been updated. Now says parallel and perpendicular.

Tech Hub still says parallel only.

So it looks like it's true. I really hope it's compatible with the current parking sensors and will only be a firmware upgrade .
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2016, 07:50 AM   #9
sdb123
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Wow. I checked last night and nothing. UK configurator is now offline and THIS PAGE seems to have been updated. Now says parallel and perpendicular.

Tech Hub says parallel only though.

So it looks like it's true. I really hope it's compatible with the current parking sensors and will only be a firmware upgrade .
The wording on the configurator looked a bit messy as if it was a find & replace job!

Knowing BMW, I'm sure it won't be so simple...though, as you say, with the same sensors, no reason as to why an upgrade shouldn't be available. Let's wait and see...
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2016, 07:53 AM   #10
KPD
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

I guess this also means we should hear some good news about blind spot monitoring soon.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2016, 01:46 PM   #11
Bill_P
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive 20i xLine MW

Quote:

Tech Hub still says parallel only.

I think "parallel and perpendicular" was always the description as it was one of the specific things I checked back in January. Seemed very naughty at the time (and still does) - the only thing to help perpendicular parking is the rear view camera. My Build is Mid April but to be honest I have not tried a lot of the features yet and I have drive assist plus etc
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2016, 02:23 PM   #12
KPD
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_P View Post
I think "parallel and perpendicular" was always the description as it was one of the specific things I checked back in January. Seemed very naughty at the time (and still does) - the only thing to help perpendicular parking is the rear view camera. My Build is Mid April but to be honest I have not tried a lot of the features yet and I have drive assist plus etc
"Naughty" isn't the right word for it!!

The configurator is live again. There is a mention of perpendicular in it as well, which I'm sure I didn't see before:

Quote:
The Park Assist makes parallel parking easier. Whether activated or not, the system measures potential spaces while driving past at a low speed (below 20mph) and at a maximum distance of 1.5 m from the row of parked cars. When a large enough gap has been found, the driver turns on the indicator and the Park Assist takes over the steering, while the driver is responsible for selecting the correct gear, as well as pressing the accelerator and brakes. The system also gives instructions in the Control Display and additional acoustic signals. So the driver can stay relaxed and enjoy greater safety while parking.

Benefits at a glance:

-- makes parking perpendicular to the road easier
-- potential parking spaces are checked to see if they are big enough while driving past
-- the Park Assist steers automatically
The more I read official descriptions of things on BMW's websites and brochures, the more confusing they sound. We'll have to wait for an owner to confirm this.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2016, 02:53 PM   #13
newx1
Enlisted Member
Rep

I am surprised how no one brought this up earlier.

For me, the perpendicular parking will be the most important feature. My wife struggles to park the car in smaller spots (perpendicular spots). I never understood why they would support parallel parking and not perpendicular. It takes more effort to get parallel parking right (I guess).
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2016, 03:46 PM   #14
sdb123
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by newx1 View Post
I am surprised how no one brought this up earlier.

For me, the perpendicular parking will be the most important feature. My wife struggles to park the car in smaller spots (perpendicular spots). I never understood why they would support parallel parking and not perpendicular. It takes more effort to get parallel parking right (I guess).
BMW's Park Assist (in the main) has generally been for parallel parking only, not perpendicular - whereas other manudpfacturers implementations (i.e Audi/VW) do both...hopefully this is a sign of BMW catching up with the competition.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2016, 03:48 PM   #15
sdb123
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
The configurator is live again. There is a mention of perpendicular in it as well, which I'm sure I didn't see before:
I agree...I've been on the configurator more times than I care to remember (prior to placing an order) and am almost positive the perpendicular wording wasn't there.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2016, 01:18 PM   #16
Vprashanth
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X1

i asked about perpendicular parking back in feb 2016 when i got the x1. was told by the dealer that x1s dont have perpendicular parking and that there was currently no accessory to add.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2016, 01:19 PM   #17
Vprashanth
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X1

i know that 7series does have perpendicular parking but that is a flagship car
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2016, 05:11 PM   #18
newx1
Enlisted Member
Rep

So no one has yet seen their X1 do perpendicular parking ?
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2016, 06:11 PM   #19
ttimbo
Major
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 25i AW; F20 M135i AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by newx1
I'm not sure the basis for thinking perpendicular parking assistance is even being offered in the X1

In the case of the Australian specification at the time I ordered (October 2015), the specification wording was very clear:

"Parking Assistant with fully automated braking and acceleration, uses ultrasonic sensors to search for and identify *parallel*
parking spaces, then steers the vehicle into the space whilst operating the accelerator and brake pedal and selecting the correct
gear" (my emphasis)
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2016, 01:21 PM   #20
Mr.Raj
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive 28i xLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by newx1 View Post
X1 doesnt have perpendicular parking option.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2016, 05:28 PM   #21
AusF20/F48
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: F20 125i MS, F48 XD25i

I do understand the need for automated *parallel* parking assist as it is somewhat more complicated for some drivers who have difficulty with spatial awareness, turn angles etc., but perpendicular parking is not that difficult.
When you see a perpendicular parking space, but the width is so narrow that when park in it, you could not open your door, then is not for you.
Your X1 has good visibility and side mirrors, just get the reversing camera (it comes with rear sensors, has visual guidance lines and sensor marks on screen and audio) and front sensors if you want.
If you need automated perpendicular park, you are just being lazy, want it to show off, or need to go back to driving school.
If you want it as another toy to play with, go for it.
It still requires some input from the driver.
Appreciate 0