X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) USB map update

05-06-2016, 07:03 AM   #23
X1PGK
Private
Rep
Drives: X1 20d X Drive X Line 2016

I was told at my local BMW dealership in the UK that it would only download an update not the complete map. Therefore it should be a lot smaller, but what do they know. No one at the dealership seemed fully clued up as to how you did it or anything. Very poor knowledge of their own systems. Service dept' said they had only downloaded updates from pre installed BMW supplied, (very expensive), USB memory sticks. If you had a pre paid contract for various features, navigation included, they couldn't tell me how to download off the BMW Connected Drive app.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2016, 11:26 AM   #24
Vogit
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive 20D xLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluezed View Post
I did wonder about this. Would you have to have the engine running? If not and you just left it downloading the auto shutdown might kick in halfway through the installation?
Somewhere in the instructions in the manual it suggests doing the update whilst driving - presumably you can't use the nav when this is going on.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2016, 11:35 AM   #25
X1PGK
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by orcomma View Post
Playing about on the online BMW connected drive portal and I noticed the latest maps file was available - just updated to the new 2016-01 one, 25GB worth of data! Might be worth checking if your data is due to update (mine is an Oct 15 build so it was due the update).

Glad these things are free now
Got to the page to download the 2016-1 Europe Map update and have downloaded the BMW download manager which sits on my desktop. I've hit the button to start download but nothing happens. Anybody got an idea as to what I need to do to get it to work? I've a paid subscription till October 2018.
Not sure how to proceed. I've sent an email to BMW support but no reply as yet.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2016, 09:07 AM   #26
X1PGK
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by X1PGK View Post
Got to the page to download the 2016-1 Europe Map update and have downloaded the BMW download manager which sits on my desktop. I've hit the button to start download but nothing happens. Anybody got an idea as to what I need to do to get it to work? I've a paid subscription till October 2018.
Not sure how to proceed. I've sent an email to BMW support but no reply as yet.
Just had a reply from BMW. I'm told that there is an issue with the website and that it has been passed to BMW Germany to sort out. Watch this space.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2016, 11:38 AM   #27
orcomma
Dividing by zero
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 XDrive20d xLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by X1PGK View Post
I was told at my local BMW dealership in the UK that it would only download an update not the complete map. Therefore it should be a lot smaller, but what do they know. No one at the dealership seemed fully clued up as to how you did it or anything. Very poor knowledge of their own systems. Service dept' said they had only downloaded updates from pre installed BMW supplied, (very expensive), USB memory sticks. If you had a pre paid contract for various features, navigation included, they couldn't tell me how to download off the BMW Connected Drive app.
Well I downloaded it and it was the full 25 gig not just an update portion... and it took about 10 minutes to install, ignition on but engine off.

I have 38mbps fibre and it took about 2 hours to download using the PC installer, then another 10 mins to copy to the USB drive.
      05-09-2016, 06:28 PM   #28
AUS_Tin_Pusher
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 xDrive25i

Well, with ADSL and a blinding download speed of 0.48mbps, 25 gig would take a while

Presumably the dealer could do the update with a service.
Appreciate 0