BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Custom BMW add-on blind spot mirrors

02-14-2020, 12:29 PM   #1
VWAudi2BMW
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: drei BMWs

Custom BMW add-on blind spot mirrors

Hi all,

I originally posted this over in the F30 forums as a 3 series owner (mine) X2 Hers. It has gotten a lot of interest and I figured I would post here, as it might be interesting to X1 owners.

Here is the link to my original post: https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1690558

Here is my original post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWAudi2BMW View Post
I have a crazy story for my fellow BMW enthusiasts. How do you know you are getting old? Many of your stories start with the other day I was going to Costco...

I live in the Encinitas area of North San Diego and as you can tell, I frequent Costco Carlsbad. Anyone who knows Costco Carlsbad knows it is a wasteland of huge SUVs crammed into spots that are small for a Mini Cooper. But I can't get enough, especially the yogurt (please bring back the chocolate and vanilla swirl).

When I was parking I was glad to see a nice and clean BMW parking next to an open spot. I knew I'd be safe as long as they were there, right?. A younger guy was getting out and I said to him nice car (we both were mineral gray). He laughed and said thanks, and that was when I noticed his mirrors.

He had these blind spot mirrors that fit like a glove and looked factory-like. I have blind spot mirrors on my RAM and I love them. I've rented Ford cars with the built-in ones and loved having those too. I've looked for something that did not look terrible but have never found anything stick on.

I asked this guy about them (Andy) and he said he owns a few businesses. He just started a new one and he actually makes them for that exact reason. He said he started messing with them this past summer and eventually went all-in with a full on company to do it. We were talking for a bit and he was telling me he has had a set on his car for a few months testing and tweaking. He sent a few to friends and family in other states too. I was the first person to ever ask though.

He gave me a set and said give them a try and if you like them, please send me some feedback. I have had them for a few weeks and I love them. I am the first testimonial on his site. He was a nice kid!

I had an X2 loaner about a month ago that these would have been awesome on. Boy was that thing hard to see out of.

Here is the website for anyone interested: https://*********************

Now for the chocolate and vanilla swirl yogurt?

Edit / update: I received a promotional email from this company with a coupon code valid for the month of February. 15% off for anyone interested. NewUser15

Edit again, finally got some pics!!

Sedan
Lots of burbles and POPS

Last edited by VWAudi2BMW; 07-21-2021 at 10:54 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2020, 02:51 PM   #2
808X1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 M-Sport

Very . Will check it out. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2020, 03:22 PM   #3
VWAudi2BMW
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808X1 View Post
Very . Will check it out. Thanks!
Sedan
Lots of burbles and POPS
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2020, 05:18 PM   #4
Skyline2.0
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X1 xDrive

VWAudi2BMW, thanks for sharing here. I've been wanting to get a set cause even the "look over shoulder" technique doesn't give a clear view of the blindspot. For $30 with coupon and a custom fit, these seem worth the money.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2020, 05:43 PM   #5
VWAudi2BMW
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyline2.0 View Post
VWAudi2BMW, thanks for sharing here. I've been wanting to get a set cause even the "look over shoulder" technique doesn't give a clear view of the blindspot. For $30 with coupon and a custom fit, these seem worth the money.
Very welcome! Yes it was for sure much harder to see out of the X2 loaner I had than my 3 series. I had that before I found these, too!

Even still I totally love these and I hope the X2 one work as well as the ones on my car.

They seem to have some for many BMW models. The guy I met at Costco was super nice. Happy to help him spread the word. It is so new, if you search you find literally nothing. Eventually maybe I'll post in some other forums too. If anyone gets a pair, please do update on how you like them for your SUVs!
Sedan
Lots of burbles and POPS
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2020, 07:49 PM   #6
808X1
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Just ordered for the F48X1. Will see how good it is and the workmanship quality.
Appreciate 1
      02-14-2020, 07:56 PM   #7
VWAudi2BMW
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808X1 View Post
Just ordered for the F48X1. Will see how good it is and the workmanship quality.
Lucky mirrors! I want to go to HI!!
Sedan
Lots of burbles and POPS
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2020, 09:47 PM   #8
Skyline2.0
First Lieutenant
Rep

Just ordered mine. Will throw up some pics and give first impressions when I get them.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2020, 10:07 PM   #9
808X1
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWAudi2BMW View Post
Lucky mirrors! I want to go to HI!!

Appreciate 0
      02-19-2020, 09:23 AM   #10
landrumdh
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F48

Very cool, I nearly put in a purchase via ebay when it mentioned works dimming and non-dimming. Now I'm wishing they had a pre-tinted version to help prevent blinding like my older VAG cars which had blue tinted mirrors to help with blinding.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2020, 10:47 AM   #11
VWAudi2BMW
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by landrumdh View Post
Very cool, I nearly put in a purchase via ebay when it mentioned works dimming and non-dimming. Now I'm wishing they had a pre-tinted version to help prevent blinding like my older VAG cars which had blue tinted mirrors to help with blinding.
I have dimming mirrors on my car and in all honesty I do not find these to cause me glare. You see the lights, but the rounded nature of them does not produce glare directly in your face like the flat side mirrors do. I also recall a lot of people having that blue film degrade quickly with aftermarket units.

Another member in the X2 forum just posted this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by //TMT View Post
Well I didn't wait - been looking for a decent rear visibility aid, and these sure fit the bill!

I ordered at noon (EST) on Friday, and got the shipping email just one hour later. With the holiday weekend, it arrived via USPS today.

These are quality units, nicely fitted and with thin bezels, plus the mirror itself is glass, not plastic. They have 3M tape to install, and the back is hollow so they'll fit tightly.

Totally two thumbs up. Only one thing - I can't install them due to the weather here! I'll need a dry warm-ish day. But here's a snapshot to admire in the meantime...

Attachment 2242485

BTW, it's pretty much impossible to take a photo of a convex mirror without getting yourself and your phone in the frame!
Sedan
Lots of burbles and POPS
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2020, 01:02 PM   #12
Skyline2.0
First Lieutenant
Rep

My first impressions below. Pictures attached taken from LHD driver's seat.

Quality and Design: For something so small and simple, it feels and looks well made. The convex mirror is glass, not plastic, so hopefully it'll be less prone to scratching. The thin bezel offsets it just enough so you know whether you're looking at the blindspot vs regular mirror with a quick glance. The backing is made of sturdy plastic. The 3M adhesive adhered to the main mirror well despite doing the install with the temp around 45 to 50 degrees farenheit (seller recommends installing when it's a bit warmer but I was eager to test them out).

The shape definitely gives it a custom feel and look as it follows the contours of the main mirror spot on. The area that it takes up on the main mirror is relatively small, so it's there when you need it, but doesnt obstruct your view when trying to park or just to see what's behind you. Yet it's big enough to serve the intended purpose of letting you know whether there's a car in your blindspot.

I do admit it'll take some getting used to as it feels a bit unnatural to look at 2 different mirrors, but I think I'll adjust quickly with some more seat time.

Cost and installation: As for cost, you get what you pay for. This isn't a generic stick on blindspot mirror, nor does it appear to be cheaply made. The shipping speed was quick (arrived in 2 business days) considering the order went from CA to NJ.

The installation instructions are thorough despite this being a very simple install. It tells you to clean the main mirror with IPA and to wait for warmer temps, which is good to know if you're not familiar with how adhesives may react to a dirty surface or cold weather.

One tip I would add is to get it aligned exactly the way you want before pressing it down. Dont install it flush against the main mirror's inner housing to avoid clearance problems. You want to avoid any rubbing issues if you ever need to adjust the mirrors to an extreme position.

tldr version: Great mirrors for the cost. High quality. Dont stick too close to the main mirror's inner lip to avoid rubbing problems.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-20-2020, 01:12 PM   #13
bmwforme
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyline2.0 View Post
My first impressions below. Pictures attached taken from LHD driver's seat.

Quality and Design: For something so small and simple, it feels and looks well made. The convex mirror is glass, not plastic, so hopefully it'll be less prone to scratching. The thin bezel offsets it just enough so you know whether you're looking at the blindspot vs regular mirror with a quick glance. The backing is made of sturdy plastic. The 3M adhesive adhered to the main mirror well despite doing the install with the temp around 45 to 50 degrees farenheit (seller recommends installing when it's a bit warmer but I was eager to test them out).

The shape definitely gives it a custom feel and look as it follows the contours of the main mirror spot on. The area that it takes up on the main mirror is relatively small, so it's there when you need it, but doesnt obstruct your view when trying to park or just to see what's behind you. Yet it's big enough to serve the intended purpose of letting you know whether there's a car in your blindspot.

I do admit it'll take some getting used to as it feels a bit unnatural to look at 2 different mirrors, but I think I'll adjust quickly with some more seat time.

Cost and installation: As for cost, you get what you pay for. This isn't a generic stick on blindspot mirror, nor does it appear to be cheaply made. The shipping speed was quick (arrived in 2 business days) considering the order went from CA to NJ.

The installation instructions are thorough despite this being a very simple install. It tells you to clean the main mirror with IPA and to wait for warmer temps, which is good to know if you're not familiar with how adhesives may react to a dirty surface or cold weather.

One tip I would add is to get it aligned exactly the way you want before pressing it down. Dont install it flush against the main mirror's inner housing to avoid clearance problems. You want to avoid any rubbing issues if you ever need to adjust the mirrors to an extreme position.

tldr version: Great mirrors for the cost. High quality. Dont stick too close to the main mirror's inner lip to avoid rubbing problems.
Have been looking at these for a few days and your post sold me - just ordered.

I bought these on Amazon a few weeks ago for my new X1 arriving next month but decided I really liked the shape and finish of the set above, specifically how it follows the exact contours of the mirror.

Kind of silly to stick generic $10 blind spot mirrors on a $50k car. I wish a $50k car came with blind spot mirrors but that's for a seperate discussion! Pics to come... next month
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2020, 04:04 PM   #14
808X1
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Nice and thorough review.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2020, 02:44 AM   #15
Dilbert2402
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 G01 30e

I've used an extra round blind spot mirror on the drivers side for years. It's been noticeable on vehicles from a number of manufacturers that you get a better view from the mirrors when sat in the left seat than the right one and it appears that the angles/adjustment are set for LHD and not changed for those of us that drive on the left. I know that there is the small section on the outside of the mirror with an extra curve to it but there's still a 'dead zone' that not covered by either the rear view or door mirrors.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2020, 01:54 PM   #16
VWAudi2BMW
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Hi all,

quick update my original post. The initial coupon code is now expired. The company sent out an email to customers a few weeks ago with a new one for referring new customers in March. I updated the first post and will put it here too.

NEWUSER15 for 15% off if anyone is interested! enjoy!!
Sedan
Lots of burbles and POPS
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2020, 09:27 PM   #17
NorcalMike
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 M sport

I bought a pair but haven’t put them on yet, LOL
      03-06-2020, 11:58 AM   #18
VWAudi2BMW
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorcalMike View Post
I bought a pair but haven’t put them on yet, LOL
Dude, what are you waiting for?!

Another F30 driver on the East Coast made a pretty sweet video about them. Compared to my terrible ipone shots it is very nice.

He also shows how to install. Very quick and easy

Sedan
Lots of burbles and POPS
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2020, 03:17 PM   #19
VWAudi2BMW
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Just updated the post. Got a mass email a week or so ago from the company with a new referral coupon for March as the old expired.

Newuser15 for 15% off in March if anyone is interested...
Sedan
Lots of burbles and POPS
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2020, 03:32 PM   #20
VWAudi2BMW
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Looks like they are doing a 24 hour flash sale, also listed on their website.

The code is 24hourflash for 25% off. A much larger discount than the usual promotions if anyone was interested.
Sedan
Lots of burbles and POPS
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2020, 06:29 PM   #21
ventjock
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Just installed these today. So far so good!
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2020, 01:10 AM   #22
808X1
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ventjock View Post
Just installed these today. So far so good!
Yup, they're pretty good
Appreciate 0