MJE60
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: BMW G01 xDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinymilad View Post
Photos
The LED you have arrowed is actually the parking brake LED, I have carefully checked and the clear plastic light conducting rod goes from the LED to the parking brake switch. When I have time I will test the switch, as the space/s on the circuit for the AUTO H Led appears blank (I.e not fitted). I also notice two of the 8 connecting pins are missing , this is in contrast to a 5 series switch which actually has 9 pins. I suspect, for my car at least, this will not work, as there is no AUTO H, ICON on the dash, two switch pins and an led is missing.
I will update once I know for sure.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2019, 12:20 PM   #68
Beagler
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Sept 2019 Facelift X1 MSPORT

The way I understand Autohold works on my Tiguan is that when the brake is pressed the ABS pump pressure keeps the brakes applied. The engine has to be running to work the pump. After a while to prevent the pump overheating the rear brake motors take over from ABS pressure and apply the rear brakes also when the engine is switched off. Does the X1 have motors on the rear calipers?
      07-16-2019, 03:03 AM   #69
iceman7
Second Lieutenant
Greece
Rep
Drives: X1 LCI sDrive 18i

Any news on this project?
Has anyone tried it successfully?
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2020, 04:14 AM   #70
lrd300
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 M Sport

Anyone managed to make the autohold work please?
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2020, 03:36 PM   #71
oakey46
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 2 A/T 220i Lux Auto 1.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrd300 View Post
Anyone managed to make the autohold work please?
I have read through all the pages on this forum topic, which seemed rather strange to me because my (3/18) X1 seems to have some semblance of Auto Hold, but the BMW Drivers Guide calls it Drive-off Assistant.
Quote:
Drive-off assistant
PRINCIPLE
The system provides support when driving off on upward gradients. It is not necessary to use the parking brake for this.
DRIVING OFF WITH DRIVE-OFF ASSISTANT
1. Hold the vehicle in place by depressing the foot brake.
2. Release the foot brake and drive off without delay

The vehicle is held for approximately 2 seconds after the foot brake has been released.
Depending on the vehicle's load or when towing a trailer, the vehicle may roll backwards a little.'

My previous car, an Audi Q3, had Hill Hold Assist, which worked in a similar manner, but perhaps held the car for a longer time. I live in a hilly area though and have to say the X1 'system', such as it may be, is ample for driving off.
To supplement this, if stopped for a longer time on a steep incline for traffic lights etc, when the start-stop kicks from the foot brake in I apply the Parking Brake switch and take my foot off the brake. The car stays put until I press the accelerator, at which time the engine re-starts, the car moves forward and the parking brake auto releases. The only time this isn't quite ideal is on those occasions when the engine restarts due to battery load etc, but it still gives the couple of seconds to put my foot back on the footbrake.
I appreciate that may not be everyone's idea of Hill Hold, but it's OK for me.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2020, 11:52 PM   #72
nathanm4
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Aston Martin Vantage

Any update on activating the Auto H feature? I just bought a 2020 X1. I really want the feature.
      01-18-2020, 12:01 PM   #73
SDriver18i
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 s18i 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanm4 View Post
Any update on activating the Auto H feature? I just bought a 2020 X1. I really want the feature.
Well tinymilad said it worked on his! But then proceeded to never reply again and gave no instructions on how to open the panels and activate it. Until someone does that, we won't know if it really works in the x1 or not.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2020, 12:08 PM   #74
nathanm4
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neworgri View Post
Quote:
Well tinymilad said it worked on his! But then proceeded to never reply again and gave no instructions on how to open the panels and activate it. Until someone does that, we won't know if it really works in the x1 or not.
That's a bummer. I have been using [P] button instead and it works well. Only thing is I just need to manually push the button every time I stop my car.

Now I feel like his story is a hoax. No proof no evidence, all words. :
      01-18-2020, 06:34 PM   #75
iceman7
Second Lieutenant
Greece
Rep
Drives: X1 LCI sDrive 18i

But still Auto Hold is there, though greyed, in the dashboard even in the lci as well and the "button" next to the parking brake, let alone the fact that if you wear your seatbelt and engage the handbrake while being stopped in traffic and then accelerate the car starts and moves normally.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2020, 09:32 PM   #76
dianebrat
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 orange x2 xDrive28i

Quote:
That's a bummer. I have been using [P] button instead and it works well. Only thing is I just need to manually push the button every time I stop my car.

You're in the US and in FL so that pretty much says you have an automatic transmission, I have to ask if holding your foot on the brake is that big a deal? we went decades without autohold and I don't understand why some folks "need" it.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2020, 09:37 PM   #77
nathanm4
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
Quote:

You're in the US and in FL so that pretty much says you have an automatic transmission, I have to ask if holding your foot on the brake is that big a deal? we went decades without autohold and I don't understand why some folks "need" it.
Personal preference. Many people want the Auto Hold feature too. It's more convenient to have it. Do you get the point?
      01-18-2020, 09:55 PM   #78
dianebrat
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Personal preference. Many people want the Auto Hold feature too. It's more convenient to have it. Do you get the point?
Nope... it does nothing but mystify me that this was even a needed feature.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2020, 10:01 PM   #79
nathanm4
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Ok. That's your opinion. X3, X4, X5, X6, 5 series, 7 series, M cars have Auto Hold feature. You can suggest BMW engineers and designers to remove that feature and tell other BMw owners to be like you and follow your likings. See what happens.
      01-19-2020, 01:24 AM   #80
SDriver18i
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
That's like saying, "it mystifies me people even drive cars. They should just walk everywhere."

Yes, I don't want to have my foot on the brake all the time, if you do, that's you, not others.

Appreciate 1
nathanm4681.00
      01-24-2020, 01:25 PM   #81
Jack Watts
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

Quote:
As a long-time manual transmission guy, the one thing I hate about automatic transmissions is that the car wants to start pulling away from me when stopped on level ground when sitting in traffic. Almost 40 years of driving and I've been conditioned to having my foot off of the brake and the car in neutral when just sitting there on flat ground.

My DSG Golf R has auto hold, and it's awesome. It's the only automatic I don't hate driving in heavy traffic (I actually prefer driving an MT in traffic due to the car always wanting to drive away on its own). Auto hold solves this for me.

"necessary"? Of course not. For me though, it definitely enhances the driving experience, a lot. I'm going to explore this and see if I can get it to work on the X1.
Appreciate 1
iceman7117.00
      03-07-2020, 11:11 AM   #82
SDriver18i
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Update!

I have removed the center console and pressed the Auto-Hold buttons and nothing! So, either tinymilad is lying or it just works for him/her.

Everything they he/she said was there, even a rubber actuator that allows you to press the Auto-Hold button, but it does nothing.

Pressed it while driving, tried holding it while driving, nothing! There's 2 LEDs, one is red for the parking brake and one is orange, for the parking break also? No green LED like the Auto-Hold defaults.

I did not however, press both or press the right one... Will have to try that. Maybe someone else will follow the videos and try it before I disassemble it again. Update us.

Thanks for the guys below for the helpful videos for this venture:

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com

Last edited by SDriver18i; 03-07-2020 at 04:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2020, 12:35 PM   #83
TygerBright
Private
Rep
Drives: X1 20d Sport

Reading this thread with interest - absolutely would love the Auto Hold feature enabled also.

Tinymilad - where are you? don't leave us on ... err hold.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2020, 12:47 PM   #84
SDriver18i
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TygerBright View Post
Reading this thread with interest - absolutely would love the Auto Hold feature enabled also.

Tinymilad - where are you? don't leave us on ... err hold.
Maybe I should have pressed both buttons? Haven't tried that... Might check that out tomorrow.

Last edited by SDriver18i; 03-07-2020 at 12:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2020, 12:56 PM   #85
Beagler
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Sept 2019 Facelift X1 MSPORT

Having had a Tiguan with Autohold and this X1 without it. I do not miss it. On the Tiguan the Autohold disengages after a short time as the electric handbrake takes over to prevent ABS pump that provides Autohold with hydraulic pressure from overheating anyway. The X1 maintains brake pressure long enough to swap from brake to accelerator to prevent roll back. Any longer delay required could be done by switching handbrake on and as it releases automatically I dont miss Autohold.
      03-07-2020, 06:07 PM   #86
Takabo
Private
Japan
Rep
Drives: G21 320d xDrive Touring MSport

Hi,

I am also interested. When I tried the test mode by pushing the reset button of the section distance for a long time, the auto hold icon of the cluster glowed.
Attached Images

BMW 320d xDrive Touring M Sport(G21)
Production Plant: Munich, Production Date: 2021-02-25
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2020, 06:38 AM   #87
SDriver18i
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Another update, I removed it again and tried pressing both while driving. Nothing works.

So final conclusions are:

Either Tinymilad is a liar or it just works on his/her car.
Appreciate 1
      03-08-2020, 08:10 AM   #88
dianebrat
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neworgri View Post
Another update, I removed it again and tried pressing both while driving. Nothing works.

So final conclusions are:

Either Tinymilad is a liar or it just works on his/her car.
No need to accuse people of lying, this might also be region/firmware specific.
Appreciate 1
MJE60678.00