BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Cabin noises

04-30-2016, 10:58 PM   #1
PF1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 xDrive25i M Sport

Cabin noises

I've been hearing some cabin noises in my 1000km X1, particularly over bumps and rougher roads. There's a plastic "knock" sound in the rear and under the driver's armrest. Sounds like the noise is within the cabin, not a mechanical noise. Have been looking for the cause but unable to resolve it. So wondering if anyone else has had this noise or other cabin noises?
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2016, 01:05 AM   #2
AC in Aus
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 320d M-Sport

Only noise we have/had was from the rear cup holders in the armrest rattling over course roads. Put the armrest up, and no issue. A tiny piece of adhesive backed black foam stopped the noise. We just spent the weekend on corrugated dirt roads, and nothing new to sort out.......yet.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2016, 04:54 AM   #3
PF1
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks. I checked the rear armrest/cup holders but it wasn't that. I have now discovered that with the left rear seat folded down flat the noise goes away. So something to do with that seat, either the mechanism in the base for sliding or the seat back itself. Will keep investigating. Things like that annoy me.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2016, 08:58 AM   #4
BMW newbie 2016
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 X1, Mineral Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by PF1 View Post
I've been hearing some cabin noises in my 1000km X1, particularly over bumps and rougher roads. There's a plastic "knock" sound in the rear and under the driver's armrest. Sounds like the noise is within the cabin, not a mechanical noise. Have been looking for the cause but unable to resolve it. So wondering if anyone else has had this noise or other cabin noises?
I have had several noises that have turned out to be easily corrected. For example sometimes the rear seat belt latches don't get placed back exactly where they should be and they rattle against plastic or something else. At one point I attached all the rear seat seatbelts to keep them quiet.
Also if I have CDs under the armrest and there is any play from side to side I will hear them clicking against each other. I just stuffed one of the micro fibre rags I keep in the car into the storage bin to keep things quiet.
Other than that the car is pretty quiet.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2016, 10:39 AM   #5
ando
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: i5 eDr40, G80 and F80

Garage List
2024 BMW i5 eDr40  [10.00]
2022 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
No cabin noises. I find it to be quieter than F30/80 3-series.
Appreciate 1
      05-02-2016, 08:27 AM   #6
Mr.Raj
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive 28i xLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by ando View Post
No cabin noises. I find it to be quieter than F30/80 3-series.
I Agree. It is quiter than my f30 as well.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2016, 01:40 PM   #7
Les Paul
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X1 2.0D Xline Auto

I have posted before about intermitment noises from the back of the XI (and an intermitment vibration from the dash centre speaker).

I am purchasing a get me home spare wheel and was looking under the car at the X1 jacking points and noticed the rear plastic undertray on the passenger side is very loose and knocks against a diagonal metal bracing strut. The drivers side was fine and securely tight. I am going to ask the dealer to take a look when I pick up the spare wheel later this week. Also - and this is a bit odd - if I thump the rear light cluster on the drivers side it feels solid and does not resonate however on the passenger side it makes a hollow bong ! It sounds like a gasket or seal has been omitted...again I'll ask the dealer to check.
Appreciate 1
      05-09-2016, 06:27 PM   #8
PF1
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks for pointing out the loose underbody tray Les Paul. I checked my car and there is some movement and noise on both sides. I'll have a better look tonight and put some foam/felt tape between the tray and metal strut and see if that makes any difference. I've already been through most of the interior and can't find where that one noise is coming from.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2016, 07:11 PM   #9
AusF20/F48
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: F20 125i MS, F48 XD25i

I put some black felt mat in the bottom of the centre tray, arm rest and door pockets.
It stops items placed in them from rattling on the plastic.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2016, 02:18 PM   #10
Les Paul
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X1 2.0D Xline Auto

Popped in to the dealer today to pick up spare tyre and get the underbody panel checked...local delaer very good - straight into the workshop and up on the ramp (not like Audi...please book an appointment etc etc). They were ok with me going under the car and talking to the mechanic. The underbody panel whilst flexible enough to move, was securely fastened and mechanic and I agreed would not move suffeceintly to cause noise, He did say that "back in the day" the panel would probably have been also bolted to the cross brace. I Forgot to mention the odd "boing" from the rear light cluster Doh! Car seems to be rattle free recently ....perhaps it sensed that I was cross...
Mechanic also said they had not had any issues at all with new X1 to date. His final reassurance was.. "any rattles please come straight in and we'll sort it...this is a BMW, BMW's do not rattle !"
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2016, 07:49 PM   #11
PF1
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I put some felt tape between the strut bar and the plastic cover to stop the flex/movement but that made no difference, so the rattle isn't from there on my car either. Sounds like it's within the cabin, somewhere near the rear footwell/seat. It's only 1 noise but when the car is otherwise quiet it's a bit distracting. Might give my dealer a call and get it sorted out.
Appreciate 0