BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Baby Beast Has Been Delivered

05-02-2016, 12:57 AM   #23
hart4bmw
Private First Class
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 Sdrive20i (2016)

Very nice !
The inside of your car is a copy of mine X1, only the steering wheel is on the other side
Appreciate 1
      05-02-2016, 01:56 AM   #24
The Beast
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: VW Transporter Sportline

Quote:
Originally Posted by hart4bmw View Post
Very nice !
The inside of your car is a copy of mine X1, only the steering wheel is on the other side
You mean on the correct side
Current: VW Transporter Sportline, F48 X1 20i M Sport. Previous: F10 530d M Sport, W176 A200 CDI AMG Evolution, E70 X5 3.0 SD M Sport, F20 120d M Sport, E81 120d M Sport, E46 325i M Sport, E46 318ci & Many Others...
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2016, 03:03 AM   #25
PF1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 xDrive25i M Sport

Nice interior colour and trim choice. Works well with MW exterior giving that more luxurious edge. I agree with what you said about the Comfort mode setup, the handling is a bit soft for my liking but good for my wife who just wants to cruise around. Did you have H/K sound in your A-Class before? If so how do they compare? I have standard sound in both the Merc and BMW, and the X1's system sounds crisper to me.

My Sport mode button is set to affect both Chassis and Drivetrain, but I find that when the gear lever is moved to Sport mode (to the left of D) it becomes even more responsive, especially off the line. Watching the tacho, with car stopped, I can see the revs, at idle, move up slightly when gear lever is in S instead of D.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2016, 04:06 AM   #26
Bill_P
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive 20i xLine MW

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Beast View Post
The comfort access is really responsive, better than the system I had on my E70

I can get the tailgate to open and close with my foot every time, there is a knack to it
Thanks for the update and photo's - I have not had much chance to get out too much down here on the South coast with a bank holiday - roads all choked up.

I am also really liking the comfort access. Had no problem with the tailgate for the first two days and then yesterday I seem to have lost "the knack".

I guess you had a quick wipe of the Gloss Black before you took the photo's - it does seem to attract every speck of dust - so glad I changed to the Fineline Matt Oak (thanks to this forum)
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2016, 04:18 AM   #27
The Beast
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PF1 View Post
Nice interior colour and trim choice. Works well with MW exterior giving that more luxurious edge. I agree with what you said about the Comfort mode setup, the handling is a bit soft for my liking but good for my wife who just wants to cruise around. Did you have H/K sound in your A-Class before? If so how do they compare? I have standard sound in both the Merc and BMW, and the X1's system sounds crisper to me.

My Sport mode button is set to affect both Chassis and Drivetrain, but I find that when the gear lever is moved to Sport mode (to the left of D) it becomes even more responsive, especially off the line. Watching the tacho, with car stopped, I can see the revs, at idle, move up slightly when gear lever is in S instead of D.
Thanks, that was what I was looking to achieve

No standard sound in the A Class but HK in my F10. The A Class was all bass and no definition imo... but not fair to compare the two really.

I will change sport mode to map gearbox and chassis after the car has broken in. At the moment I am manually using the gearbox to shift into sport mode occasionally. My F10 also gets even more aggressive gearbox mapping when you engage both Sport from the rocker switch and gearbox itself, so good to hear that the Aisin does the same
Current: VW Transporter Sportline, F48 X1 20i M Sport. Previous: F10 530d M Sport, W176 A200 CDI AMG Evolution, E70 X5 3.0 SD M Sport, F20 120d M Sport, E81 120d M Sport, E46 325i M Sport, E46 318ci & Many Others...
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2016, 04:24 AM   #28
The Beast
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_P View Post
Thanks for the update and photo's - I have not had much chance to get out too much down here on the South coast with a bank holiday - roads all choked up.

I am also really liking the comfort access. Had no problem with the tailgate for the first two days and then yesterday I seem to have lost "the knack".

I guess you had a quick wipe of the Gloss Black before you took the photo's - it does seem to attract every speck of dust - so glad I changed to the Fineline Matt Oak (thanks to this forum)
Yes glad I steered away from gloss black, there's already quite a bit in there... Didn't clean it yet though

The trick with the tailgate as my SA explained to me (and has worked consistantly so far) is stand at least as far away as the clearance required by the tailgate when opening, I'd say roughly 70 cm away. Put your foot straight under the bumper just to the right of the central BMW badge on the tailgate and swipe sideways towards the drivers side of the vehicle (on UK models). You only really need to get your toes under there, repeat to close if your hands are full
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2016, 05:18 AM   #29
The Beast
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Some more random thoughts... obviously have not pushed the car too hard yet so my views may change

Gearbox has been fine so far, it does what I ask it to do. Sport mode seems good too, it doesn't hold the revs as high as my F10 does - 2.5k on F10 in Sport and that's a diesel. Not yet tried the paddles. Will see if it gets indecisive once the car has broken in and I start to ask it to do stupid things

The 20i is a really nice engine, car does not feel under powered and it is nice having a serene driving experience after years of diesels.

Stop start works well, as with other cars I've had with this feature I tend to predict traffic ahead and come off the brake to get it started and then allow the car to pull away using it's own torque before applying throttle. Allows for a smoother ride imo.

I use a similar technique to above if I have manually applied the electronic parking brake when stationary for a while. I give the accelerator a gentle dab and allow the torque to get it going, works a treat and avoids the jerky start you get if you just hit the accelerator and try to accelerate straight off the line after the electronic brake has been applied
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2016, 05:36 AM   #30
Bill_P
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Yes glad I steered away from gloss black, there's already quite a bit in there... Didn't clean it yet though

The trick with the tailgate as my SA explained to me (and has worked consistantly so far) is stand at least as far away as the clearance required by the tailgate when opening, I'd say roughly 70 cm away. Put your foot straight under the bumper just to the right of the central BMW badge on the tailgate and swipe sideways towards the drivers side of the vehicle (on UK models). You only really need to get your toes under there, repeat to close if your hands are full
I got "The Knack" back again today . I think I was too close and putting my foot too far under - as you say, just the toes required
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2016, 05:46 AM   #31
Vogit
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive 20D xLine

Quote:
Some more random thoughts... obviously have not pushed the car too hard yet so my views may change

Gearbox has been fine so far, it does what I ask it to do. Sport mode seems good too, it doesn't hold the revs as high as my F10 does - 2.5k on F10 in Sport and that's a diesel. Not yet tried the paddles. Will see if it gets indecisive once the car has broken in and I start to ask it to do stupid things

The 20i is a really nice engine, car does not feel under powered and it is nice having a serene driving experience after years of diesels.

Stop start works well, as with other cars I've had with this feature I tend to predict traffic ahead and come off the brake to get it started and then allow the car to pull away using it's own torque before applying throttle. Allows for a smoother ride imo.

I use a similar technique to above if I have manually applied the electronic parking brake when stationary for a while. I give the accelerator a gentle dab and allow the torque to get it going, works a treat and avoids the jerky start you get if you just hit the accelerator and try to accelerate straight off the line after the electronic brake has been applied
That's the way I usually drive off (Too many years of cars with either no TC, or TC that kills everything if you just mash the throttle - ends up with no acceleration and much embarrassment either way!).

I'm finding the stop/start much less keen to stop the engine than on my previous VW. Strange how you get used to the engine "stalling" when you come to rest, and start worrying when it doesn't

Haven't used the paddles nearly as much as I thought I would, since the auto box usually does what I want, apart from when really pushing on. The only time I'm tempted is to change down myself to avoid the auto-shift at the wrong time when putting power on coming out of a bend.
Appreciate 1
      05-02-2016, 08:58 AM   #32
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: MY24 G01 AW Msport

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]
looks great with black grilles
Appreciate 1
      05-02-2016, 01:04 PM   #33
hyperspeed
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 R8, MYP, GLE

looks great! gotta love those m sport grills!!

Appreciate 1
      05-07-2016, 12:35 PM   #34
The Beast
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Right ok finally prissed the car off my wife today and took it into work! She loves it btw

A few observations, when connecting my phone via a lightning cable I can access playlists but the songs won't auto play even when I select them. I have to initially select play on my phone to get it to play. I'm sure it didn't do this last time I connected my phone Any ideas?

Tried the sport display out, interesting but not sure how much I'd use it

I like the electronic temperature gauge, car heats up quick and I like the fact it displays 'cold' and 'OK'
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2016, 08:00 AM   #35
KPD
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F48 xDrive 20i xLine

So what are your thoughts on the 20i? I absolutely love how quiet it is in the city or when cruising and at the time, how angry and growling it sounds when you push it a little.
Appreciate 1
      05-08-2016, 08:55 AM   #36
Bill_P
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPD View Post
So what are your thoughts on the 20i? I absolutely love how quiet it is in the city or when cruising and at the time, how angry and growling it sounds when you push it a little.
I agree about the quiet nature around town - have not started pushing on yet as still only a couple of hundred miles on the clock - looking forward to it though
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2016, 02:00 PM   #37
The Beast
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPD View Post
It's great, after years of diesels it feels so refined. No clatter, no vibration, just serene progress. My F10 straight six diesel has a nice note to it but my wife's A Class was like a tractor in comparison. Haven't pushed it beyond 3,750 rpm yet so not sure about the exhaust note, it is a very torquey engine and suits the F48 imo
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2016, 07:18 AM   #38
AusF20/F48
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: F20 125i MS, F48 XD25i

Congrats on the new X1
Thanks for the review.
Appreciate 0