BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Job Hunting - need your support

12-01-2020, 05:24 PM   #1
xxTHIR13ENxx
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M6 Gran Coupe

Job Hunting - need your support

Hey BMW family,

So it's very sad, but I was recently let go from my 8+ year position at a dream firm.
Covid must have played a role, but they didn't really go into much detail as to why the decision was made.

Still, I learned a tremendous amount from them and thanked the Principals for their time and education. So now I'm back on the hunt for my next dream job.
So far I've updated my LinkedIn profile and Resume & Portfolio. My last position was Sr. Project Manager / Landscape Designer.

I love the work, love the field and have become quite efficient through the years. I have a few companies in my radar, but wanted to also add it here, just in case someone is in the field and looking for help (South Florida area), or just to get some positive vibes and feedback.

Please PM with any leads on Landscape Architectural jobs/openings or if you'd like to check out my Resume + Portfolio.

Thanks, all.
- Leo.
Appreciate 1
haagm58809.50
      12-01-2020, 05:29 PM   #2
swhat
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 MW E92

Sorry to hear. Goodluck in your search.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2020, 07:07 PM   #3
rebekahb
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Tough year for a lot of folks. I hope you're able to find something soon. Best of luck to you!
Appreciate 1
      12-03-2020, 10:06 AM   #4
twin fed
Doc Brown
Rep
Drives: 2016 MG MT M2

I was a Operations Manager at a body shop and we shut the doors in march and I have been looking ever since. It is really tough out there right now, especially around the holidays. It's even worse if you are trying to go corporate. They are all taking resumes and not bothering to get back to you, or you get an interview and they keep stalling you out. I am waiting on my 3rd interview with one company, but they keep telling me "next week" and then I don't hear back. It is extremely frustrating.

Appreciate 0
      12-03-2020, 11:40 AM   #5
chassis
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 9Y0 Cayenne S

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxTHIR13ENxx View Post
Hey BMW family,

So it's very sad, but I was recently let go from my 8+ year position at a dream firm.
Covid must have played a role, but they didn't really go into much detail as to why the decision was made.

Still, I learned a tremendous amount from them and thanked the Principals for their time and education. So now I'm back on the hunt for my next dream job.
So far I've updated my LinkedIn profile and Resume & Portfolio. My last position was Sr. Project Manager / Landscape Designer.

I love the work, love the field and have become quite efficient through the years. I have a few companies in my radar, but wanted to also add it here, just in case someone is in the field and looking for help (South Florida area), or just to get some positive vibes and feedback.

Please PM with any leads on Landscape Architectural jobs/openings or if you'd like to check out my Resume + Portfolio.

Thanks, all.
- Leo.
Sorry to hear. When one door closes, others open. Work your network, as you are doing here. Use the phone, meet for coffee/lunch, apply to lots of jobs. Persistence and perseverance are the skills needed for this.
Appreciate 2
      12-04-2020, 06:02 AM   #6
Samurai of 2day
Major
Rep
Drives: '22 X6M/'21 S1Krr

OP, sorry you have to deal with these unfortunate events.

Keep in mind, the Military is ALWAYS hiring...
      12-04-2020, 04:44 PM   #7
The Libertine
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Porsche Macan

Sorry to read about this. Networking gives you the most leverage, and Linkedin is a tremendous platform to utilize. Try to connect with as many recruiters as possible on Linkedin and enable the “open to opportunities” feature. Make sure you profile is “All Star” status, and take advantage of the “premium” option. Linkedin usually offer a 30-day free trial if not already a member. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions about what I just noted.

Good luck with your search. Don’t be discouraged. Persistence pays off.
Appreciate 3
      12-06-2020, 10:02 AM   #8
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

I was recently talking w/ somebody from a local environmental college and they are hearing that corporations are starting to get into enviro-friendly or pollution-eating landscapes and greenspaces (offseting carbon footprint, toxic cleanup/groundwater protection, etc.). Might be a niche to go for where there is less traditional competition. Best wishes and good luck for your search.
Appreciate 1
      12-07-2020, 03:30 PM   #9
Habs11
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i

1) Update LinkedIn and resume (looks like that is done)
2) Create marketing plan - 1 pager that lists skills and your desires job function(s) as well as a list of target firms.
3) Network as much as possible. Target 2 networking meetings each day(unfortunately mostly zoom today). These meetings should be geared toward learning what is available - you need to learn from these folks and ask them who else you should be speaking with.
4) If you see a position posted online apply and network your way into the firm to try to make a connection.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2020, 07:58 AM   #10
xxTHIR13ENxx
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs11 View Post
1) Update LinkedIn and resume (looks like that is done)
2) Create marketing plan - 1 pager that lists skills and your desires job function(s) as well as a list of target firms.
3) Network as much as possible. Target 2 networking meetings each day(unfortunately mostly zoom today). These meetings should be geared toward learning what is available - you need to learn from these folks and ask them who else you should be speaking with.
4) If you see a position posted online apply and network your way into the firm to try to make a connection.
Thank you all for the positive words of encouragement and feedback. I'm finding out that network is absolute key. From the above, besides arranging 2 meetings a day, I'm pretty much 100% on track.

One key connection has been a Principal Planner with one of the toughest cities to work with (their Landscape requirement is ridiculous!) Long story short, all my projects with them have been exceptional, so the Principal and I became good friends. And no one has more Landscape firm connections than a member at the City, as they review all projects.

All in all, my spirits are high, though it's still a roller-coaster, I'm mostly confident. Already connected with a firm where an old college buddy works, and had a call yesterday from a small firm through my City connection.

Thanks again, guys.
- Leo.
Appreciate 1
vreihen1614885.00
      12-23-2020, 08:29 AM   #11
xxTHIR13ENxx
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Update:
Was offered a position in a new up-and-coming company.

The Pros:
  • Higher salary
  • Growth potential
  • Familiar with the rendering software I use
  • Commission incentive (was not offered in my previous firm)
  • Smaller office in South Florida; headquarters in Central Florida
  • IRA match at 3% (same as my previous firm)

The Cons:
  • Longer commute (double my previous firm)
  • Some negative online reviews (poor organization)
  • Only 50% health insurance coverage - I pay the other 50% (my previous firm paid 100%)
  • Almost certainty of longer hours

All in all, I'm taking this as great news, relieves a lot of pressure already.
I'm still waiting and hopeful to hear back from other, more local offices, but very thankful for having an offer already.

- Leo.
Appreciate 8
chassis6373.50
rebekahb3128.50
9M711232.50
CYANiDE167.00
MKSixer34171.50
Sara5775.50
      12-23-2020, 09:16 AM   #12
Tommy-G
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 435 Vert Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by twin fed View Post
I was a Operations Manager at a body shop and we shut the doors in march and I have been looking ever since. It is really tough out there right now, especially around the holidays. It's even worse if you are trying to go corporate. They are all taking resumes and not bothering to get back to you, or you get an interview and they keep stalling you out. I am waiting on my 3rd interview with one company, but they keep telling me "next week" and then I don't hear back. It is extremely frustrating.
I'm going to message you....I may be able to help.

Quote:
Update:

The Pros:
  • Higher salary
  • Growth potential

The Cons:
  • Only 50% health insurance coverage - I pay the other 50% (my previous firm paid 100%)

I'm still waiting and hopeful to hear back from other, more local offices, but very thankful for having an offer already.

- Leo.
Congrats. This is the way I look at your situation "right now" There is no bad job offer.
1-you can always contribute to their improvement on the reviews and be a hero
2-if something comes up down the road that is a better opp you cant decide at that point
3-who the heck knows what is going to happen come Jan/Feb with the new regime, I can't imagine it would be a time anyone would want to take a chance being out of work
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2020, 09:28 AM   #13
chassis
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 9Y0 Cayenne S

Garage List
Quote:
Update:

The Pros:
  • Higher salary
  • Growth potential

The Cons:

- Leo.
Congratulations! Well done. What was the most effective tool for you in the job search? e.g. networking, LinkedIn, Indeed, company websites, etc.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2020, 09:54 AM   #14
9M71
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 | 6MT

Congratulations!!!

For others still looking - dont get discouraged, the hiring season after thanksgiving through the new year is terrible - not much activity going on. After bonuses are paid (typically in Q1, latest early Q2), hiring will pick up steam. Of course this can also be industry specific but keep at it and it'll all work out in the end.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2020, 10:06 AM   #15
twin fed
Doc Brown
Rep
Drives: 2016 MG MT M2

Glad to hear, best of luck. Fortunately my old job actually opened back up, so I am working again. I am still going to continue to look, but there is no need for urgency now.

Appreciate 1
      12-23-2020, 10:06 AM   #16
xxTHIR13ENxx
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by twin fed View Post
Glad to hear, best of luck. Fortunately my old job actually opened back up, so I am working again. I am still going to continue to look, but there is no need for urgency now.
That's awesome, man! Congrats!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chassis View Post
What was the most effective tool for you in the job search? e.g. networking, LinkedIn, Indeed, company websites, etc.
All of the above.. lol! But mostly LinkedIn. My approach was simple:
  1. Find listings online (indeed.com was my main search)
  2. Visit company website and browse people, location, careers page
  3. Go to LinkedIn and search company and its employees
  4. Submit Resume application
  5. Connect with as many employees as possible (usually higher-ups) and start conversations
Appreciate 1
twin fed1175.50
      12-26-2020, 02:49 PM   #17
The Libertine
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Porsche Macan

Congratulations! Very happy for you on the offer.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2020, 09:02 PM   #18
Gray_Panther
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i

Congratulations! I understand the relief from landing a new role!
What a happy ending to this thread.
      12-28-2020, 10:38 AM   #19
xxTHIR13ENxx
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray_Panther View Post
Congratulations! I understand the relief from landing a new role!
What a happy ending to this thread.
Thank you!
I'm thinking of keeping the thread active, still.

I'm hopeful other offers will come in with the new year, perhaps something more local, but even if not, I'll post my achievements and cool stuff I'll be working on.

Thanks for all the support, folks.
Here's to a much better 2021!

- Leo.
Appreciate 1
chassis6373.50
      02-19-2021, 12:07 PM   #20
xxTHIR13ENxx
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'm hopeful other offers will come in with the new year, perhaps something more local.
Small update:
As hoped and somewhat expected, another offer came through at a more local office.

I'll start there next Monday, March 1st.
Though it's not in my character to "jump around" in companies, this opportunity is just a more logical and secure decision for me.

I still very much appreciated all the work I was able to do in my short time here, and honestly I wish them great success; the projects were all really fun!
- Leo.
Appreciate 1
Tommy-G4467.00
      02-19-2021, 02:32 PM   #21
evil-G-nius
Broke A$$ Super Hero
United_States
Rep
Drives: Infiniti G37 S Coupe

Congrats!

I have been going through the same issues as you were...sadly I am still going through it! I think my area is just too far away from the tech fields, Administrative work is scarce upi here and I do NOT want to go back in to the wine industry. Keeping my head down and plugging away, your new position gives me hope! LoL
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2021, 02:36 PM   #22
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

It's amazing to hear people's different experiences on what has happened during Covid...

I am very happy to hear you found a new job in this tough market.

If you read the between the lines, the rich got richer... there was blatant PPP fraud and abuse, the govt basically gave money to the wrong people... small businesses went bankrupt and a lot of hard workers making minimum wage were let go with nothing.

I honestly do not see a bright economic future for young people in this country... something has to change.
Appreciate 0