BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Map Update for UK/Europe Navigation - EUROPE Way version 2020-4

11-30-2020, 10:37 AM   #1
oakey46
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 2 A/T 220i Lux Auto 1.5

Map Update for UK/Europe Navigation - EUROPE Way version 2020-4

Available now via the BMW Download Manager app, on Mac OS or Windows, is version EUROPE Way 2020-4.
A 16GB USB dongle should be sufficient to transfer the update into your X1. This has always worked for me after formatting the USB dongle as indicated in the app.
This version does NOT work for X1 drivers in North America but, as in the past, is only for UK and Europe X1s with EUROPE Way mapping.
If you do not have it already, the BMWDownload Manager App can be accessed by signing in to your BMW ConnectedDrive account and go to 'Remote Cockpit' then 'Control'. The Map Update link for the App is then towards the lower part of the page. You should not need to do this stage if you already have the App on your Mac/PC. So far as I am aware, there is no link to download this via iOS to iPhone or iPad and it can only be actioned via a laptop/desktop Mac or PC.

Last edited by oakey46; 11-30-2020 at 10:48 AM..
Appreciate 4
Feddersen451.00
MJE60678.00
iceman7117.00
BrianJ25.00
      12-01-2020, 08:59 AM   #2
Beagler
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Sept 2019 Facelift X1 MSPORT

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakey46 View Post
Available now via the BMW Download Manager app, on Mac OS or Windows, is version EUROPE Way 2020-4.
A 16GB USB dongle should be sufficient to transfer the update into your X1. This has always worked for me after formatting the USB dongle as indicated in the app.
This version does NOT work for X1 drivers in North America but, as in the past, is only for UK and Europe X1s with EUROPE Way mapping.
If you do not have it already, the BMWDownload Manager App can be accessed by signing in to your BMW ConnectedDrive account and go to 'Remote Cockpit' then 'Control'. The Map Update link for the App is then towards the lower part of the page. You should not need to do this stage if you already have the App on your Mac/PC. So far as I am aware, there is no link to download this via iOS to iPhone or iPad and it can only be actioned via a laptop/desktop Mac or PC.
Thanks downloading as we speak.
      12-02-2020, 05:10 PM   #3
BobbyGrant
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 X1 F48 xdrive xline 2.0 d

Cheers but when I check the map that is available for me is called
EUROPE WEST ROUTE 2021-1?
Why the difference? Is it different maps for the "bigger screen" - my car is a 2016?
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2020, 02:53 AM   #4
oakey46
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyGrant View Post
Why the difference? Is it different maps for the "bigger screen" - my car is a 2016?
I think that is possibly because your 2016 X1 has a different iDrive software setup to later models with iDrive 6 and EUROPE Way mapping (my X1 is 2018). No doubt someone will be able to confirm that for you, but if the download you mention is a 2021 version and you are still within your BMW ConnectedDrive subscription period, what do you have to lose?

Last edited by oakey46; 12-03-2020 at 03:00 AM..
Appreciate 1
MJE60678.00
      12-03-2020, 05:03 AM   #5
MJE60
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: BMW G01 xDrive M Sport

Quote:
Your car has an Entrynav HU and slightly different software to later cars which have ENTRYNAV2 HU. The changeover between Entrynav and ENtrynav2 was approx July 2017. The main differences are screen layouts which mimic different versions of NBT and nav software.

Unfortunately for Entrynav owners, with business nav mapping called route (as opposed to Way for Entrynav 2), it is only updated infrequently (looks to be annually or less) as opposed to quarterly for Entrynav 2. Screen size is not relevant, Entrynav HU can have CDU upgraded to 8.8” also.
Appreciate 1
oakey46157.50
      12-04-2020, 02:45 PM   #6
BobbyGrant
Private First Class
Rep

I downloaded the map, put it onto USB and plugged into car.
I have done several map updates since I got the car but this was the first time I was asked to put the validation code in.
Once I i did this it started transferring and I think it was still doing it 30 mins later whereas it normally just takes a few minutes.

Had to stop and unplug the USB, its now saying it can't run the sat nav and to re-insert the USB but when I do that it seems to be just "hanging".

Will try again tomorrow but hope I haven't screwed this up somehow!
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2020, 08:46 AM   #7
BrianJ
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW F48 X1 xDrive20i Sport B48

Thanks for the notification oakey46. Each time one of these appears I am continually puzzled why our Oct 2019 car automatically did an over-the-air update shortly after we got it but hasn't since, as far as I know. Instead, I have manually done the complete download & install process for a couple of the new updates, deliberately missing one of them to see if the OTA update kicked in (no). I know the OTA updates only cover the country in which the car is located, but I asked BMW why they didn't seem to be working and they appeared to think they would be...but I'm not sure that they understood the question. I would have thought an OTA update for my country (UK) would take place around the time you identify that a new total map download is available, but maybe not. Anybody got any idea how I can check if OTA updates are working (or have worked without me noticing!) please?
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2020, 09:44 AM   #8
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 LCI xDrive 2.0i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianJ View Post
Thanks for the notification oakey46. Each time one of these appears I am continually puzzled why our Oct 2019 car automatically did an over-the-air update shortly after we got it but hasn't since, as far as I know. Instead, I have manually done the complete download & install process for a couple of the new updates, deliberately missing one of them to see if the OTA update kicked in (no). I know the OTA updates only cover the country in which the car is located, but I asked BMW why they didn't seem to be working and they appeared to think they would be...but I'm not sure that they understood the question. I would have thought an OTA update for my country (UK) would take place around the time you identify that a new total map download is available, but maybe not. Anybody got any idea how I can check if OTA updates are working (or have worked without me noticing!) please?
Is yours an LCI model? Mine was built September 2020, and it did a data update several weeks later as I was driving along. It said something along the lines about the route being changed and updated the map.
2020 BMW X1 xDrive 2.0i MSport (F48).
2022 MB EQB 300 4MATIC AMG Line Premium
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2020, 05:39 AM   #9
BrianJ
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW F48 X1 xDrive20i Sport B48

Yes, it is an LCI model, and that's exactly what ours did too. But only once!
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2020, 06:35 AM   #10
iceman7
Second Lieutenant
Greece
Rep
Drives: X1 LCI sDrive 18i

What validation code? Where do you find such a code?
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2020, 07:11 AM   #11
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Yes, it is an LCI model, and that's exactly what ours did too. But only once!
Not sure about this, but I would have thought it would not happen again until new data needed to be transferred to the car.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2020, 07:44 AM   #12
oakey46
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I’ve only noticed one OTA update in the time since I received my X1 at the end of 3/18, but haven’t been bothered by that because it is a straightforward task to download and install the update via BMW Update Manager app on my Mac.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2020, 10:32 AM   #13
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman7 View Post
What validation code? Where do you find such a code?
Normally a code is required if you are outside the warranty period that includes paid-for map updates. When you pay for a map update you get an FSC code that the car asks for in the iDrive. That is how I used to do it on my X3.
BMW used to charge an arm and a leg for map updates along with an FSC code update. This has changed drastically since clandestine sites used to supply them very cheaply along with maps. See....

Quote:
FSC (Freischaltcode) is the activation code released by BMW.
This activation code is always a 20-position combination of characters, which is usually entered manually via the iDrive controller.
The code only contains capital letters (A – Z) and digits (2 – 7). The activation code does not contain the digits “0” and “1” in order to prevent confusion with the letters “O” and “I”.
Each code is specially based on VIN for each single car.
The code can not use with multiple cars.
FSC (Freischaltcode) is the activation code released by BMW.
This activation code is always a 20-position combination of characters, which is usually entered manually via the iDrive controller.
The code only contains capital letters (A – Z) and digits (2 – 7). The activation code does not contain the digits “0” and “1” in order to prevent confusion with the letters “O” and “I”.
Each code is specially based on VIN for each single car.
The code can not use with multiple cars.
More information here:
https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C...fmPAMcQ4dUDCA0

and:

https://fscmap.com/#whatisfsc

Last edited by Peter_R; 12-07-2020 at 10:39 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2020, 11:04 AM   #14
MJE60
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: BMW G01 xDrive M Sport

Quote:
I downloaded the map, put it onto USB and plugged into car.
I have done several map updates since I got the car but this was the first time I was asked to put the validation code in.
Once I i did this it started transferring and I think it was still doing it 30 mins later whereas it normally just takes a few minutes.

Had to stop and unplug the USB, its now saying it can't run the sat nav and to re-insert the USB but when I do that it seems to be just "hanging".

Will try again tomorrow but hope I haven't screwed this up somehow!
Your car is asking for a genuine BMW FSC (validation code) which for genuine BMW connected drive downloads is provided automatically and is unique for each car (I.e will only work for specific VIN). BMW F48 in Europe and North America have Entrynav and ENTRYNAV2 HU which cannot be hacked so pirate downloads will not work if your HU asks for an FSC code. (many higher range BMW’s have NBT HU’s which can/have been hacked so pirate downloads work and many sites offer coding services).

If you logged in and downloaded via BMW connected drive using their software then it will have asked for your car VIN or required you to confirm vehicle and an fsc file/code will have been included and may have been corrupted. If this is the case I suggest downloading again, you should see in the unpacked folder a file titled fsc. If you downloaded from a non BMW source or are using a download from someone else then the fsc folder may be missing or if present will not be for your car hence the problem.

Your HU is now locked until a genuine FSC code is entered. If you want nav back you will have to get a BMW main dealer to do an update or purchase a genuine download with fsc code via BMW connected drive. If you did purchase and use a genuine download and it still hangs I would try a different usb dongle and download again, the dongle may be faulty and corrupting the update. Good luck I hope you sort o.k

Last edited by MJE60; 12-07-2020 at 11:30 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2020, 02:10 PM   #15
BobbyGrant
Private First Class
Rep

Hi, next time I went out to car I put the USB in again and it continued the download from around 76% or thereabouts. Would appear that my half hour journey hadn't been long enough to accomdodate the update!

Re the validation code, yes I took out an extended subscription for the maps update so that will be why I got an activation code this time!
Appreciate 0