BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) 2020 X1 Buyers Remorse

11-24-2020, 01:02 PM   #1
tenroc2o0o
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X1 xDrive28i

I just recently purchased my first BMW, a 2020 BMW X1 XDrive with premium package. I was excited about having advanced German engineering and "the Ultimate Driving Machine". However, I'm having buyers remorse and missing my Ford.

Things I like:
  • I love wireless CarPlay.
  • Handling and turbo acceleration.
  • Looks, although several friends have said they think the grill is ugly.
  • Ambient lighting strips on the doors.
  • X1 logo projection on ground.
  • Driver profiles linked to radio, seat, lighting.

Irritations:
  • "Remote Ventilation". I understand I bought one of the cheaper BMW's, but come on. Cheaper brands have had Remote Start on lower-trim vehicles for a long time. I feel like I've downgraded coming from my Ford. And when it's really hot outside, it doesn't even blow hard enough to make a difference. And it would be nice if it would at least kick on the seat heaters and steering wheel heater remotely, but "ventilation" doesn't do that either.
  • If you're exiting a car wash and need to switch from N to D quickly so that the car behind you doesn't hit you, tough luck. You have to hold the brake for an awkward amount of time before it lets you shift to D. Why? I had it in neutral - why do i have to hold the brake if I'm already in a mode that allows movement?
  • The parking sensors won't shut up. If you're going through a drive through, for example, and you're sitting idle waiting, the parking sensors just keep beeping and beeping and beeping until you hit the button to turn off the system. My other cars would auto-silence if the vehicle was stationary after a short moment.
  • You can't lock the car if you don't have a remote? It won't let you? You can't push the lock shaft or the electronic lock all button. Idiotic.
  • The whole shifter and Park button are awkward. Every vehicle I've ever driven has some type of physical feedback to indicate that I've put the car in Park - like pushing a steering wheel shifter all the way up, turning a shifter wheel all the way to the left to enter Park mode, or pushing a shifter all the way forward till it stops to enter Park. I'm always nervous when i put the car in Park before letting go of the brake and I check several times to make sure it actually says "P" on the dash or shifter since there's no audio or physical feedback indicating that its switched. (Fearful that I didn't push the soft electronic button hard enough.)
  • Why don't the fog lights remember their last state and turn on with the automatic lights?
  • If you need to back your car up or pull forward a foot in the garage and want to do so with the door open so that you can see the ground, tough luck. Switching to R or D with the door open and the seatbelt unclicked results in it auto-switching back to P. (I understand the safety implications of this, but maybe it would be better to tie it to the seat occupancy weight sensor used by the airbag system.)
  • The default 50% brightness for the HUD isn't bright enough to be seen through my polarized sun glasses, so during the day I increase it to 100%. Then, at night, it's way to bright, so i decrease it to like 40%. Why can't there be a night setting that switches with the dash lights? To change it each time, i have to do [Menu], Rotate/Click on "My Vehicle", Rotate/Click on "iDrive", Rotate/Click on "Displays", Rotate/Click on "Heads Up Display", Rotate/Click on Brightness, Rotate/Click on desired level, [Menu].
  • No sunglasses holder. I've ordered the one that you replace the "Oh Jesus" handle with.

Am I alone in thinking iDrive 6 sucks compared to other vendors systems?
  • The whole electronics experience with the wheel control + touch screen + volume on dash + steering wheel controls is disjointed and awkward. I don't understand the wheel - it spins, pivots up down left right, and clicks. Why didn't they just make it a D-pad or joystick? If I'm using the wheel, it feels awkward to have to lift my hand up to adjust the volume. Everything - even simple things like switching to CarPlay - require way too many button presses, turns, clicks, and pivots. However, the system really isn't very touch oriented in the way its designed - the screen is too far away for touch and it doesn't respond well to dragging your finger across the screen to cycle through options.
  • Why are there two separate radio presets lists? The numbered buttons on the dash are completely separate from the scroll wheel in the HUD and the presets in iDrive.
  • My numbered presets have completely disappeared several times after programming them all.
  • CarPlay is tiny and only takes up half of the screen, forcing you to use a split screen widget. Speaking of which...
  • The split screen widgets are kind of useless. Why can't you interact with them or use them as a shortcut, like tapping the media widget to jump to audio?
  • Media is awkward. There isn't like a home "now playing". You select what channel from a list and let it sit for a while and it eventually changes to a status view.
  • What if you hate red? Doesn't look like you can change themes in iDrive?
  • When CarPlay is connected, the iDrive voice recognition won't let you say "call bob on mobile".
  • iDrive won't shut off when exiting the car! Yes, I used BimmerCode to program "Shut off iDrive system when driver door is opened". However, if you happened to have opened the door a microsecond before turning off the engine, iDrive stays on even after you get out of the car and close the door. It doesn't shut off until you lock the doors.

Other idiotic stuff that BimmerCode saved the day on:
  • Reverse side mirror tilts way too low and is looking at ground. (Coded now to 40%.) Why isn't there a GUI option for this, or why doesn't it remember the last position used when in reverse? (Changing the mirror position while in reverse keeps that position when you switch back to drive?!)
  • Side mirrors wouldn't close automatically without holding door or key while standing directly in front of the door?! Seriously - if you were 20ft from the car and hold the lock button, it won't close the mirrors or windows, but if you stand directly next to a door it works. Doesn't that defeat the purpose of using the report? Why wouldn't you just hold the button on the door at that point? (Coded to close on lock now.)
  • The remote doesn't close the tailgate? WTH? Apparently it does in Europe, but not US/Canada? Every other brand in the US I've ever driven allows this so its clearly not a government regulation? (fixed with BimmerCode) Maybe it's because the Tailgate closes and opens way too fast. God forbid you're standing anywhere near it if it hits you.
  • Had to hold the tailgate close button inside to close it. (Coded so that I can tap it once now.) Is that lifter switch backwards though? Shouldn't "lift" mean "close" like a window? It's awkward - should have just been a button.
  • Eco mode suuuuuucks. Why can't you pick the default mode? (coded to Comfort now)
  • I don't want Auto-Off. This should be an option to remember last state or default mode. (Coded to off now except for Eco mode.)
  • Why doesn't it let you turn on fogs without the headlights being on? (Coded to allow this.) But why is this even a codable option to begin with, and why is it coded to no allow it?
  • Why is the horn honk with running engine on lock SO LONG AND LOUD? I got out of the running car with family waiting in the car while i ran in to pickup some food, and I locked the car with the remote behind me. People were standing in front of the car and I scared the bajezbus out of them. It's like you're holding the horn down hard for over a second, a pause, and then doing it again. A simple "Chirp chirp chirp chirp" would have sufficed instead of "HOOOOOOONK HOOOOOOOONK". (I coded it to not honk the horn now.)
  • The lock/unlock chip is too loud (Coded to be quieter) Speaking of which - its irritating that pushing lock on the remote doesn't do anything or even blink the lights if its already locked- making you wondering if its really locked or if you're just too far away from the car for the remote to work.

Aside from the stuff I've fixed already with BimmerCode, if there are simple fixes to anything else that's driving my insane I'd be happy to hear them. BimmerCode has definitely lessened my buyers remorse.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2020, 04:21 PM   #2
BenDiem
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 M240i xDrive

Lol. I feel ya. I agree on most of your complaints.

I’ve just learned to live with German logic & German over engineering, including accepting Germany’s lack/failure/refusal of conforming to US consumer’s needs/wants/expectations, lol...

At the end of the day, I really like/enjoy the sporty suspensions, superior performance & handling dynamics, superior braking, hard/confined seats, etc., over non-German competitors...

BTW, looking to get either an X1 or X2 for the misses, in the new year, lol.

It’s all good.

Cheers/B
      11-24-2020, 08:20 PM   #3
ttimbo
Major
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 25i AW; F20 M135i AW

Looking at your list of grievances, I'd respectfully suggest some may be due to local safety regulations, as many aren't issues with our (Australian market) X1.

Others may be a case of RTFM...or perhaps getting the local dealer BMW genius to go through them with you; if you think German automotive engineering is..er...perverse, try a French car!
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2020, 12:22 AM   #4
bmwforme
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 M40i

haha and I thought I had a lot of grievances

I’ll be honest, I’m stunned you wrote this much and didn’t touch on the X1 not offering a blind spot monitor with any trim level or package

Anyway, welcome to the club and good luck with your new ride!
Appreciate 1
      11-25-2020, 02:56 AM   #5
ramonE90-NL
Second Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: bmw F30 320iA

Ive always owned new bmw's (3 series) and now my first F48. I find that most cheaper brands like ford or nissan are more loaded in options then bmw is. Bmw lets you even pay for auto headlights or auto wiper.

When i buy a ford and take one option pack i have everything! With bmw you have to but multiple packs to own a few handy options.

What i also find bizarre is that when you pay for the bmw online option with weather rtti etc, they let you pay for this again after 2 years!!!! People, this is a €60.000,- ($71.440,-)car! This should always work without having to pay for this every year
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2020, 05:16 AM   #6
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 LCI xDrive 2.0i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramonE90-NL View Post
Ive always owned new bmw's (3 series) and now my first F48. I find that most cheaper brands like ford or nissan are more loaded in options then bmw is. Bmw lets you even pay for auto headlights or auto wiper.

When i buy a ford and take one option pack i have everything! With bmw you have to but multiple packs to own a few handy options.

What i also find bizarre is that when you pay for the bmw online option with weather rtti etc, they let you pay for this again after 2 years!!!! People, this is a €60.000,- ($71.440,-)car! This should always work without having to pay for this every year
Well, trying not to be cynical, but if you not happy, go get another Ford or Nissan. Simples as the Meerkats say.
2020 BMW X1 xDrive 2.0i MSport (F48).
2022 MB EQB 300 4MATIC AMG Line Premium
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2020, 07:20 AM   #7
Beagler
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Sept 2019 Facelift X1 MSPORT

Caveat Emptor?
      11-25-2020, 07:26 AM   #8
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beagler View Post
Caveat Emptor?
Latin for "let the buyer beware." A doctrine that often places on buyers the burden to reasonably examine property before purchase and take responsibility for its condition. Especially applicable to items that are not covered under a strict warranty.

I nearly put the same.....but said what I said....and he didn't carry out a test drive.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2020, 09:40 AM   #9
ramonE90-NL
Second Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_R View Post
Quote:

Well, trying not to be cynical, but if you not happy, go get another Ford or Nissan. Simples as the Meerkats say.
Oh but i have always loved the brand. But not these money making things.

When you bring back a car because the ac stopped working 5 times, they repair it over and over. Under warranty off course, but charge you for the loaner to get back home. Now my emergency service battery is dead after 3 years €600,- again, 45000km brake pads and discs replacement €1000,- , electric flaps in grill defect €900,- and so on.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2020, 10:45 AM   #10
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

When you bring back a car because the ac stopped working 5 times, they repair it over and over. Under warranty off course, but charge you for the loaner to get back home. Now my emergency service battery is dead after 3 years €600,- again, 45000km brake pads and discs replacement €1000,- , electric flaps in grill defect €900,- and so on.
Then move brands if you are dissatisfied. End of.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2020, 12:56 PM   #11
ramonE90-NL
Second Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Then move brands if you are dissatisfied. End of.
Maybe, but its clear that some brands have there business more in order en think of the people that buy their products. Its easy to say move to another brand if youre not satisfied, but these sort of things are not normal. But then again if you dont care just dont point out their problems and keep paying.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2020, 01:04 PM   #12
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Maybe, but its clear that some brands have there business more in order en think of the people that buy their products. Its easy to say move to another brand if youre not satisfied, but these sort of things are not normal. But then again if you dont care just dont point out their problems and keep paying.
Now go to Jaguar Land Rover (JLR UK) and see how you get on. There are queues at the sales Manager's Office door with a list of complaints. It is never-ending with the newer Landrover Discovery.
I would suggest after reading your complaints that many of the problems not being solved is down to the quality of the dealership you are going to.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2020, 01:40 PM   #13
ramonE90-NL
Second Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Now go to Jaguar Land Rover (JLR UK) and see how you get on. There are queues at the sales Manager's Office door with a list of complaints. It is never-ending with the newer Landrover Discovery.
I would suggest after reading your complaints that many of the problems not being solved is down to the quality of the dealership you are going to.
In that you may indeed be right. There always is a big difference in dealers
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2020, 08:00 PM   #14
jmhumr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW X1

Seems like most of your qualms are just about user preferences and usability. Which is fine, but in today's tech-heavy cars I think you'll find that the differences feel amplified at first. Especially if you're making the American-to-European jump in brands. Every modern car is full of head-scratching design decisions, but you'll get over it.

Last edited by jmhumr; 11-25-2020 at 08:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2020, 09:12 PM   #15
wcs2229
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X1 F48 xDrive28i

After a few months of driving, you will probably forget about most or nearly all of the irritants. Over-analyzing new things is a common affliction that has a high recovery rate.

If not, then the cure is to buy something else, but make sure to research and test out well first.
Appreciate 2
      11-26-2020, 03:13 AM   #16
ttimbo
Major
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 25i AW; F20 M135i AW

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beagler View Post
Caveat Emptor?
Latin for "let the buyer beware." [SIZE="3"]A doctrine that often places on buyers the burden to reasonably examine property before purchase and take responsibility for its condition.[/SIZE] Especially applicable to items that are not covered under a strict warranty.

I nearly put the same.....but said what I said....and he didn't carry out a test drive.
Yes, I had a very strong sense after reading the OP's post that no decent test drive was undertaken, because if it had been, many of those...er...characteristics....would be revealed.

I guess I'm lucky. Here in Australia, if the BMW dealer knows you, they'll generally throw you a set of keys (plus insurance to sign and indemnities &#128514 and say take the car away for an hour or two and see if it fits you.

Through this, we had 3 X1 test drives before ordering, and had a very clear sense of the specification and options we needed — dynamic dampers and 18" wheels were top of the list!
Appreciate 1
      11-26-2020, 04:54 AM   #17
MJE60
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: BMW G01 xDrive M Sport

Hi tenroc2o0o
Welcome to the forum, others have already highlighted fact that many irritations are due to US safety regulations but as you know many can be coded out.
With regard to losing presets, you may find it is due to either coding (you lose settings after coding some modules) or possible you are switching keys, keys can be coded for specific driver presets so two people sharing vehicle can have own keys and presets.
Appreciate 1
dianebrat109.50
      11-26-2020, 05:06 AM   #18
Davy Jordi
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F39 X2 M35i

when one is to purchase a vehicle, particularly one of a marque that one has never owned prior to, a thorough test drive is necessary. like, absolutely imperative.

i just moved to bmw (2020 x2 m35i) from lexus and i made damn sure that i liked nearly everything about the vehicle and the brand that i chose prior to signing on the dotted line.

caveat emptor for sure.
      11-27-2020, 02:13 AM   #19
Xorbitman
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X1

I hired a programmer and took care of many of the complaints that you have. I have the self parking feature and I heard that there's a way to program the side sensors to act like blind spot detectors...Is this true?
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2020, 05:57 AM   #20
Jorix
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 120d, BMW X1 xDrive20d

Half the points you've lested are not present on my EU X1. I guess it really varies accross markets.

I agree that there are a lot of extras missing, which are standard on much lower-priced vehicles, but that's how luxury brands are (all of them, not just BMW). You want stuff - you have to pay additionally. If that's really important to you, you can simply get a Skoda with every option possible for 30% less the price, for example. But then, you don't get the luxury and handling of a BMW.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2020, 07:59 AM   #21
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorix View Post
If that's really important to you, you can simply get a Skoda with every option possible for 30% less the price, for example. But then, you don't get the luxury and handling of a BMW.

But of course, you get the reliability of the VW stable and lose less on the vehicle over a period of 3 years.
Not that I am a fan of Skoda but the brand has some merit that shows up by the number of people driving them in the UK.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2020, 11:30 AM   #22
callum_62
Rep
Drives: X1

Well im almost ready to buy an X1 so thats quite a read!
Appreciate 1