BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) 2020 X1 Buyers Remorse

11-27-2020, 01:10 PM   #23
BobbyGrant
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 X1 F48 xdrive xline 2.0 d

Irritations:
"Remote Ventilation". - living in Scotland I don't have a need for this but I do have the feature on the Connected app. Never used it.

If you're exiting a car wash and need to switch from N to D quickly so that the car behind you doesn't hit you, tough luck. - suggest you pick a different type of car wash! Can imagine the amount of claims against BMW if a car could be knocked from N to D with a passengers knee, or a child, and the car drives away. Does it really take you that long to switch between gears?
The parking sensors won't shut up. If you're going through a drive through, for example, and you're sitting idle waiting, the parking sensors just keep beeping and beeping and beeping until you hit the button to turn off the system - exactly, it has a button to switch them off. What else are you doing whilst you are sitting in the drive thru anyway, surely its not too much effort to press a button?.

You can't lock the car if you don't have a remote? It won't let you? - Again is it that problematic to press a button on a remote? Some cars have keyless entry but they are now being stolen very easily by the baddies so much more secure with the remote.

The whole shifter and Park button are awkward. Every vehicle I've ever driven has some type of physical feedback to indicate that I've put the car in Park - like pushing a steering wheel shifter all the way up, turning a shifter wheel all the way to the left to enter Park mode, or pushing a shifter all the way forward till it stops to enter Park. I'm always nervous when i put the car in Park before letting go of the brake and I check several times to make sure it actually says "P" on the dash or shifter since there's no audio or physical feedback indicating that its switched. (Fearful that I didn't push the soft electronic button hard enough.) - sounds like a different gearstick to my 2016 F48 so can't comment.

Why don't the fog lights remember their last state and turn on with the automatic lights? - because if they did you would have owners driving about with fog lights on constantly - the idea of them is you switch them on when foggy and switch them off when not.

If you need to back your car up or pull forward a foot in the garage and want to do so with the door open so that you can see the ground, tough luck. Switching to R or D with the door open and the seatbelt unclicked results in it auto-switching back to P. - mine allows this, again we must have different gearboxes.

The default 50% brightness for the HUD isn't bright enough to be seen through my polarized sun glasses, so during the day I increase it to 100%. Then, at night, it's way to bright, so i decrease it to like 40%. Why can't there be a night setting that switches with the dash lights? - I'm sure mine does dim at night with the lights on but again, you are having it brighter than most folk during the day as you are looking at it through sunglasses.

No sunglasses holder. I've ordered the one that you replace the "Oh Jesus" handle with.- I have a huge door pocket that my sunglasses (in their case) can sit. Also have a storage compartment under my seat that they can sit in. Or if I am using them a lot there is a storage cubby under the armrest they can sit.
No display anywhere to show you what driving mode you're in - Sport/Comfort/Eco. Am I missing it?- you will very easily notice the difference when driving, all 3 give totally different driving styles. However ECO has a different display on my dash showing the braking / coasting regeneration.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2020, 06:15 PM   #24
j.maldo
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 40e iperformance

I hear you, I had a 2018 X1 and had similar complaints. My car had almost every package and it was still not enough. The most I missed was the blind spot monitoring and no leather seats. However, it was really fun to drive. I now have a hybrid X5, it has everything I wanted, except hands free tailgate.

The HUD issue with sunglasses is probably due to the polarization of the projector and your sunglasses, they effectively cancel each other. Give it a try, when wearing your sunglasses and looking straight ahead, slightly turn your head to the right and you should now see the HUD. If this is the case then you know is the polarization working as it should.

You might be able to have the iDrive firmware updated and coded for full screen Apple CarPlay.

Enjoy the car...
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2020, 10:00 AM   #25
Fredro
GOLD Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X1 xDrive Premium

The door storage bins are my biggest irritant. They don’t fit any brand of water bottles I use. Different sizes as well are an awkward fit that I usually struggle with to put in or take out from the doors. I drink lots of water while I drive and this becomes very frustrating and annoying.
Appreciate 1
      12-10-2020, 01:08 PM   #26
RobinLegin
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 Xline 2i petrol

In some ways I can sympathise with all you write. I gave a 2004 Mercedes Benz 320 cdi élégance estate (shooting brake I think in North America) to daughter and son in law and moved to my December 2017 XI. I too felt I had «*downgraded*» just 3 years ago in the change. The f48 was to my specification.
But 31,000 miles on, i have got used to not having the gadgets I had on the M-B. I like the surprising economy from a 4 wheel drive petrol car. I like the sure footedness around the corners. I love it’s abilities in heavy snow.
The downside is my wife still thinks we have the load carrying capacity of the E class estate! The other downside is the road noise on poor surfaces, but I just take my hearing aids off!
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2020, 02:01 PM   #27
tenroc2o0o
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X1 xDrive28i

Contrary to what a few people thought, I did in fact do a test drives of an X1 and several X3's. However, I do feel the sales rep was kind of dismissive and didn't want to spend a lot of time with me. Ex. after the driving portion of the test drive, didn't feel like I had a lot of time to play with the electronics, etc.

I feel most of my irritations were not for lack of features (not to say i don't miss my blind spot monitoring) but more of "why did they disable closing the tail gate with the remote" or "why can't I lock the doors using the lock button inside the driver door panel?" - functional decisions BMW engineers made.

All in all, I'm thrilled with the handling, acceleration (maybe a bit too much - I'm going to get a speeding ticket if I'm not careful!), and styling. I've gotten used to just pushing more buttons to turn things on and off.

I think this will eventually be my wife's car and I may go back for an X5 hybrid.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2020, 07:38 PM   #28
callum_62
Rep
Drives: X1

What mobile phones actually fit into the F48 wireless charger contained in the central arm rest?

Neither my P30 pro or the wife's Samsung galaxy seem to fit

Seems strange to be so restrictive with the phone size

Last edited by callum_62; 12-11-2020 at 08:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2020, 11:34 PM   #29
tenroc2o0o
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X1 xDrive28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by callum_62 View Post
What mobile phones actually fit into the F48 wireless charger contained in the central arm rest?

Quote:
Originally Posted by callum_62 View Post

My iPhone 11 Pro fits and only has minimal room to move around. Don't think a Max would fit.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2020, 08:09 AM   #30
dianebrat
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 orange x2 xDrive28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenroc2o0o View Post
My iPhone 11 Pro fits and only has minimal room to move around. Don't think a Max would fit.
There are templates to make a modified bracket with 3D printing that can also be used for CNC versions of the part that make it far more flexible in phone sizes.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2020, 09:54 AM   #31
Fredro
GOLD Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X1 xDrive Premium

I have an iPhone 11 Pro Max and it doesn’t fit in the wireless charger armrest. Completely useless, and I have no desire to have it modified to fit.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2020, 05:21 PM   #32
Beantown1
Rep

I also had a buyer's remorse and sold my X1 after 1.5 years.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2020, 08:04 AM   #33
dianebrat
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredro View Post
I have an iPhone 11 Pro Max and it doesn’t fit in the wireless charger armrest. Completely useless, and I have no desire to have it modified to fit.
Well then that pretty much seals that doesn't it?

It's a simple part replacement that fixes the issue, or you can buy a phone in a size that fits, but you can't expect them to constantly re-engineer the parts, this is why anything built to any phone standard is a crapshoot, think of all those cars with 30 pin Apple dock connector cables.
Appreciate 1
MJE60678.00
      12-13-2020, 11:59 AM   #34
Jorix
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 120d, BMW X1 xDrive20d

Wireless charging is a useless option with every car brand. In the rare cases where it works, it is way too slow.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2020, 12:19 PM   #35
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 LCI xDrive 2.0i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorix View Post
Wireless charging is a useless option with every car brand. In the rare cases where it works, it is way too slow.
It is not a useless option on the LCI 2020 X1 xDrive. Also the 3 phone connectors (1 in the front armrest and 2 in the rear passenger cabin) in the car have the latest USB Type C Charger sockets that we use for Fast Charging with both our Samsung S10+ phones. With my daughter's smaller phone it fast charges in the dock.
We use these USB Type C sockets front and back with the appropriate cable because the dock/adapter is too small for the S10+.
Note. I am not talking about the USB Socket near the lighter socket that I use for my music USB stick.
2020 BMW X1 xDrive 2.0i MSport (F48).
2022 MB EQB 300 4MATIC AMG Line Premium

Last edited by Peter_R; 12-13-2020 at 05:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2020, 12:26 PM   #36
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 LCI xDrive 2.0i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
Well then that pretty much seals that doesn't it?
It's a simple part replacement that fixes the issue, or you can buy a phone in a size that fits, but you can't expect them to constantly re-engineer the parts, this is why anything built to any phone standard is a crapshoot, think of all those cars with 30 pin Apple dock connector cables.
Where from? Part number, please?
2020 BMW X1 xDrive 2.0i MSport (F48).
2022 MB EQB 300 4MATIC AMG Line Premium
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2020, 12:29 AM   #37
ZZZZ
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i winterbeater

That's the problem in this new age of more and more technology. More things to complain about or that don't work the way you want it to. Nearly all our complaints are technology or computer related. This isn't unique to BMW, no one has a solution that makes everyone happy. It's like cell phones... Every phone has people who find deficiencies and a reason to complain.

The real question is, which vehicle do you find easiest to live with... not just technology but also safety, performance, visibility,, comfort, etc. and go with that
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2020, 07:03 AM   #38
dianebrat
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_R View Post
Where from? Part number, please?
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3819314
It references back to the forum posts, but I had one made and it works fine, there is some discussion that an aluminum one might be more durable.

I did have to read up on how to pull the bracket out of the console, but it went easy with trim removal tools and the help of the the forums.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2020, 09:38 PM   #39
Xorbitman
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown1 View Post
I also had a buyer's remorse and sold my X1 after 1.5 years.
So what did you replace it with?
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2020, 11:22 PM   #40
Beantown1
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xorbitman View Post
JLU Rubicon
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2020, 03:42 PM   #41
dianebrat
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xorbitman View Post
Quote:
JLU Rubicon
This is not a vehicle I'd ever think someone was cross shopping an X1 with
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2020, 11:52 PM   #42
Xorbitman
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X1

Quote:
JLU Rubicon
Not at all the same type of vehicle. I have a friend that had two Jeeps: a Sahara and it was rough, cold in winter, road like a bucking horse over rough terrain and uncomfortable, bad gas mileage and was annoying because you had to stop for gas so often, noisy especially on the highway. Ok as a second car and the only thing good about it was that it was cool to take it off road. The other Jeep a few years later was a Wrangler that had a permanent shimmy that the dealer(S) and independant garages were never able to eliminate and consequently couldn't be driven over 50 miles an hour without the vehicle being annoying to drive and uncomfortable. The first one was in Montreal and the Second in South West Florida. It was in Red and had a lot of the extra stuff removed to make it convertible and was otherwise fun to drive. The X1 is a vastly different vehicle and in a completely different category. If you like your Jeep then your Bimmer was your mistake. Our Canadian models have different options than the US models including thicker glass (windshield) to make the vehicle quiet on highway drives. Some even have adaptive dampers.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2020, 07:53 AM   #43
Beantown1
Rep

Since you asked, I said what I got instead. And I am not going to write why I made the switch since this is a bimmer forum. I do agree with you that X1 was a wrong vehicle for me.
Appreciate 1
dianebrat109.50
      12-19-2020, 08:09 AM   #44
dianebrat
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I do agree with you that X1 was a wrong vehicle for me.
We all have at least one of those in our lives, there's nothing wrong with that and moving on to the next one rather than being unhappy every day when you start it up.
Appreciate 0