BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos Rotten Luck with Audi Rentals

04-03-2016, 12:26 PM   #1
YWGT3
iDriver
United_States
Rep
Drives: i8, Porsche Taycan T, MB EQE

Rotten Luck with Audi Rentals

Opted to rent a BMW X3 for my NorCal to LA trip. Ended up with an Audi Q5 (with less than 5,000 miles) due to rental allocation issues. In less than one block, had to return the vehicle due to several issues, including an inoperable ventilation fan. Was given an A6 (8,000 miles) in lieu of the SUV for my roundtrip drive. The A6 drove like a Peugeot (Mercedes like air suspension ride but with less firm control or feel). The steering felt a bit too mushy with less assurance even in S mode, especially when traveling at higher speeds. As with the Audi SUV, the A6's A/C and fan broke down. Only this time, I had more than 200 miles to reach LA. Upon arrival, met with one of the LA rental exchange managers who muttered his disappointment with the all the numerous reliability issues they've been experiencing with their Audis. Ended up being comped with a BMW X5 for the remaining leg of the trip.

Contemplated purchasing an Audi R8 V10 at one time. Given my recent experience and with my luck, I would be hard put to consider purchasing an Audi, let alone renting one.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2016, 01:18 PM   #2
mremg
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: TT RS, NC MX5

You want an cross-off an R8 from your list because of a few bad rental Audis?

What rental company is it? I get rental A4s from Silvercar and they're usually top notch. Remember, rental fleet is always the worst because people beat on them or damage them and many aren't serviced at all. I wouldn't come to any conclusion based on rental car experiences. If so, my experience with a MINI as a rental car was terrible and it smelt like gas all the time. But that never stopped me from trying one and eventually buying an R56 MCS.

I used to lease an '13 Audi A6. It wasn't particularly exciting to drive, but is a great long distance cruiser. The steering was light but weighed up ok at high speeds. Never had any issues or a single rattle. Build quality and interiors is something Audi is very good at.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2016, 01:22 PM   #3
vsix
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 sold, M4 F82

Audi is known for several years fighting with elctronical gremlins.
I wonder they still havent figured it out, maaan....I'll probably never get an R8...
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2016, 02:27 PM   #4
freshwhite335
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991/RR Sport AB

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Had constant issues with my S5
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2016, 04:14 PM   #5
YWGT3
iDriver
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mremg View Post
You want an cross-off an R8 from your list because of a few bad rental Audis?

What rental company is it? I get rental A4s from Silvercar and they're usually top notch. Remember, rental fleet is always the worst because people beat on them or damage them and many aren't serviced at all. I wouldn't come to any conclusion based on rental car experiences. If so, my experience with a MINI as a rental car was terrible and it smelt like gas all the time. But that never stopped me from trying one and eventually buying an R56 MCS.

I used to lease an '13 Audi A6. It wasn't particularly exciting to drive, but is a great long distance cruiser. The steering was light but weighed up ok at high speeds. Never had any issues or a single rattle. Build quality and interiors is something Audi is very good at.
Actually test drove the R8 V10 and felt it was one of the more adept in handling both track and daily drive than some of the track cars. The reliability concern never crossed my mind then.

The A6 I drove had about 8,000 miles on it. As mentioned, the ride was Mercedes air suspension plush like ride. It indeed works well for for highway cruising. However, the steering was a bit light, perhaps less reassuring and precise than I would prefer around the mountain pass. The build quality and coachwork was nice. The trunk space was surprisingly ample. The fuel economy compared to other sedans in its class was extremely good as well.

As for the Euro based rental company, I've had very positive experiences with them over the past five years. Albeit, I must admit that I've only had a chance to drive their BMWs and Mercedes before renting the two Audis. If it weren't for the fact that I experienced two similar failures on the same day with two different Audi models, I would share the same fortitude in giving the brand another try.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2016, 04:31 PM   #6
mremg
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: TT RS, NC MX5

Quote:
Originally Posted by YWGT3 View Post
Actually test drove the R8 V10 and felt it was one of the more adept in handling both track and daily drive than some of the track cars. The reliability concern never crossed my mind then.

The A6 I drove had about 8,000 miles on it. As mentioned, the ride was Mercedes air suspension plush like ride. It indeed works well for for highway cruising. However, the steering was a bit light, perhaps less reassuring and precise than I would prefer around the mountain pass. The build quality and coachwork was nice. The trunk space was surprisingly ample. The fuel economy compared to other sedans in its class was extremely good as well.

As for the Euro based rental company, I've had very positive experiences with them over the past five years. Albeit, I must admit that I've only had a chance to drive their BMWs and Mercedes before renting the two Audis. If it weren't for the fact that I experienced two similar failures on the same day with two different Audi models, I would share the same fortitude in giving the brand another try.
Yeah, I understand what you mean. It's just that rental fleet are the worst maintained cars usually driven by people who go out of their way to abuse them.

A6 - Yep, agree about the steering & definitely not a canyon car. I assume the rental spec doesn't come with adaptive suspension, which makes it even more mushy.

FWIW the R8 shares little with A6/Q5 and is manufactured at a different factory altogether.
Appreciate 1
      04-03-2016, 06:23 PM   #7
TheYoungConnoisseur
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Your car at the track

Got an a6 as a loaner car when I took my Bentley in once. Piece of shit was TRASHED. Everything was broken in it. Obviously everyone who got it as a loaner was PISSED
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2016, 02:30 PM   #8
M4chiavellif82
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BEE-EM-DUBLOO M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by YWGT3 View Post
Opted to rent a BMW X3 for my NorCal to LA trip. Ended up with an Audi Q5 (with less than 5,000 miles) due to rental allocation issues. In less than one block, had to return the vehicle due to several issues, including an inoperable ventilation fan. Was given an A6 (8,000 miles) in lieu of the SUV for my roundtrip drive. The A6 drove like a Peugeot (Mercedes like air suspension ride but with less firm control or feel). The steering felt a bit too mushy with less assurance even in S mode, especially when traveling at higher speeds. As with the Audi SUV, the A6's A/C and fan broke down. Only this time, I had more than 200 miles to reach LA. Upon arrival, met with one of the LA rental exchange managers who muttered his disappointment with the all the numerous reliability issues they've been experiencing with their Audis. Ended up being comped with a BMW X5 for the remaining leg of the trip.

Contemplated purchasing an Audi R8 V10 at one time. Given my recent experience and with my luck, I would be hard put to consider purchasing an Audi, let alone renting one.
oh shiettttttttt. things just got REAL yo!
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2016, 02:32 PM   #9
M4chiavellif82
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BEE-EM-DUBLOO M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheYoungConnoisseur View Post
Got an a6 as a loaner car when I took my Bentley in once. Piece of shit was TRASHED. Everything was broken in it. Obviously everyone who got it as a loaner was PISSED
u drive a Bentley? nice
it's like my favorite car. w12 is amazzzing.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2016, 10:16 AM   #10
YWGT3
iDriver
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mremg View Post
Yeah, I understand what you mean. It's just that rental fleet are the worst maintained cars usually driven by people who go out of their way to abuse them.

A6 - Yep, agree about the steering & definitely not a canyon car. I assume the rental spec doesn't come with adaptive suspension, which makes it even more mushy.

FWIW the R8 shares little with A6/Q5 and is manufactured at a different factory altogether.
Shared my Audi experience with an ex- audi internet sales manager who said that the Audi has had a rash of compressor failure issues with their vehicles. But he did confirm that the R8s are manufactured at a different plant and with different hvac components.

Last edited by YWGT3; 04-08-2016 at 12:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2016, 10:29 AM   #11
Blackhawk878
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 F80 and F15

Had a 2010 S4 for four years of worry free ownership, purchased in Germany drove all over the US. It was tuned from the 500 mile mark, again no issues. Of course, I took care of it, didn't beat on it till it was nice and warm. With the speed limiter removed managed to hit 299kph (indicated).

Wish I still had that car....sold it cause I was coming back to Germany and was anticipating purchasing another German vehicle while here.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2016, 11:37 AM   #12
davis449
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi SQ5

I had a 2006 APR Stage II+ A4 Quattro ("FBO" to this community). 50K miles, one problem with a seat belt igniter. That engine was pushing more HP than it was "designed" to handle.

I then bought a 2011 A3 Quattro and put the APR K04 turbo kit on it (plus "FBO"). 45K miles, only issue was with the transmission software (liked to free rev in gear at random for no reason). That engine was pushing FAR more than it was "designed" to handle. Man what a POS that car was because of that software issue...oh, wait my fucking BMW did that too.

Appreciate 0