BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X2 Forum (F39) Is anyone else having throttle issues??

12-27-2019, 10:10 AM   #177
rice_rocket88
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E60 F48 F39

I'm used to driving it in sport mode with the pedal tuner in addition and I haven't had a lot of issues. It's still there on occasion but I'm aware of it so I try to get it to a full stop or pop it into manual mode. The car still definitely is like an untamed beast in terms of pretty sensitive throttle and pretty sensitive braking. I do flip it back and forth to comfort just to see the difference and I do not like the change in lag when I go back to comfort. I pretty much only flip it back to comfort when I'm cruising on the highway without stop and go traffic... and leave it on sport mode for pretty much everything else.
Appreciate 2
Destroya371.00
CSBM52665.50
      12-27-2019, 01:09 PM   #178
Destroya
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X2 M35i

I do the same. Comfort on the freeway, Sport everywhere else. Except in stop and go where I am back in Comfort due to the “untamed beast of the throttle in Sport”. Apt description!
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2019, 07:06 PM   #179
xcelir8bmw
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M240ix

Likewise.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2020, 11:29 AM   #180
xcelir8bmw
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M240ix

For those of you who got recent software updates did the issue go away? Recently in for service and they flashed the car. Issue for me still exists actually by coincidence immediately happened at intersection on the way home from service. Put car in sport and it was better. BMS put back on to help alleviate safety issue. Not happy not adressed by BMW yet, platform issue as we all know and definitely not isolated just to me.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2020, 10:39 PM   #181
redcars
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 228xi

I think it has to do with transmission programming. I've been playing with double sport mode - set to sport on the center stack toggle and sliding the transmission to the left side. It revs higher and changes up later which may annoy some, but it doesn't seem to get confused when you lift momentarily. I use comfort mode in heavy traffic to avoid the lurching and to accelerate more gently.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2020, 08:23 AM   #182
billnchristy
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 M440xi GC

Garage List
Totally agree that it’s trans related. If someone were to flash the trans I would want normal to behave like sport minus the rev match and hold.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2020, 09:10 AM   #183
c-m
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by billnchristy View Post
Totally agree that it’s trans related. If someone were to flash the trans I would want normal to behave like sport minus the rev match and hold.
If Bootmod3 ever makes a tune for ours, they have a free TCU flash as well. I use it on my 235 and it makes all the difference.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2020, 02:16 PM   #184
//TMT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X2 M35i, 2005 Volvo V50T5

Personally I am getting to like Comfort with the M/S left-tilt transmission mode. For around-town driving, it really knocks down the lag, and gives a nice gearing feel, almost like I'd be driving it if it were a manual. Also, since I have the dynamic dampers, the ride is a bit more refined. That said, Sport on Sport rules.

Otherwise the lag is the first thing my wife noticed and she's not fond of driving the car at all because of it. I maybe won't tell her about the workarounds, so I can keep the X2 to myself.
Appreciate 1
      01-13-2020, 02:48 PM   #185
spdandpwr
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X3 M Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by //TMT View Post
Personally I am getting to like Comfort with the M/S left-tilt transmission mode. For around-town driving, it really knocks down the lag, and gives a nice gearing feel, almost like I'd be driving it if it were a manual. Also, since I have the dynamic dampers, the ride is a bit more refined. That said, Sport on Sport rules.

Otherwise the lag is the first thing my wife noticed and she's not fond of driving the car at all because of it. I maybe won't tell her about the workarounds, so I can keep the X2 to myself.
Funny -- I feel like once I figured out how to drive the car, I started liking it more. The lag can be especially disconcerting when trying to maneuver between lanes in heavy traffic. BUT, if you know what to expect, you can plan for it. THANKFULLY, the brake pedal and steering feel on this car are tip top or this would be gone in favor of an X3M
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2020, 05:13 PM   #186
King_Leonard
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X2 M35i

Quote:
[UPDATE] Just had a Holy Shit moment while testing this M/S mode.

In my mind, the problem is partially solved by going into M/S mode. Turns out the gears will shift automatically but at higher rev points but does not go to redline (don't need to use paddles). As //TMT said, the suspension remains in 'normal' mode and interestingly the throttle response is not as insane as in SPORT mode.

In my estimate, if SPORT mode gets us 4.9 sec to 100 KPH, then COMFORT+M/S feels like 5.5 sec. Wish I could measure this with a GPS device.

Anyways, thanks //TMT!!

Ha! This youtube reviewer also suggests the same thing. (6:00 mark)

Last edited by King_Leonard; 01-13-2020 at 07:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2020, 08:22 PM   #187
//TMT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Well, you're welcome! But hey we're all in this together. The car is definitely one that pays you back when you invest in it.

I had a "moment" today when I was in Comfort+M/S, turning onto a main road from a shopping center entrance. I had a gap, and hit it thinking the car would hesitate a little, especially since I had the steering at full-right-cramp. But the exhaust barked, the car pushed, and shifted three times to 42mph without so much as a hiccup. Ok, me<-happy.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2020, 11:22 AM   #188
Glazonyoursix
Private
Rep
Drives: X2 M35i

For me I recently took it to the dealer and they told me there was an error in the transmission. They did a reprogramming on it. It worked fine for about a week then started having the dumb jerky thing coming back into affect. When I make a left it's actually better now though I haven't done a lot of acceleration on left turns. Also that would of been the 4th time I've taken it in. I'm still testing everything out so far not bad but not great.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2020, 01:52 PM   #189
kavatski
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 30iX

Quote:

Yep, this is one thing my wife noticed almost immediately on our X1. I spent some time with it and discovered the same thing about putting it into M/S to avoid the lag, and now she says she slides the gear lever to the left anytime she feels like she’ll need to make a quick getaway from a stop.

Interesting to see the YouTube review posted above of the 2020 X1. Now I know that whatever the transmission revisions were that they made to the 2020, the lag remains.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2020, 05:44 PM   #190
//TMT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

As a bonus, putting it in M/S mode turns off the hated auto-stop. And while I can't get out to check, it sounds to me the exhaust flap opens too. At least, I hear the exhaust bark on the left side rear, just like Sport.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2020, 11:21 AM   #191
King_Leonard
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
As a bonus, putting it in M/S mode turns off the hated auto-stop. And while I can't get out to check, it sounds to me the exhaust flap opens too. At least, I hear the exhaust bark on the left side rear, just like Sport.
The only problem I have with M/S mode is that it holds onto gears too long, especially going downhill.

I wish BMW would focus less on going after every little niche market and invest more time and money on engineering better automobiles. Who knew I would be this disappointed.
Appreciate 1
CSBM52665.50
      01-15-2020, 02:09 PM   #192
m630
Major
Rep
Drives: '22 X4M Comp / ‘22 X3 / f136

Garage List
‘22 X4MC  [0.00]
^^ Use the paddles to shift manually and you will change your mind.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2020, 02:48 PM   #193
//TMT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m630 View Post
^^ Use the paddles to shift manually and you will change your mind.
Well, the paddles are great but in M/S mode the paddle changes are sticky. Once you touch them, the mode switches to "M" and it really means it. So, once a paddle, always a paddle. Or whack the shifter right-left to reset to "S".

In "D" transmission mode (shifter to the right), the paddles are soft, you can bop around and the car will return to automatic once you start cruising again.

So it's a very different experience. Personally, I don't find that M/S holds on to gears, unless I really tip into the throttle (where I actually want it to do that). My impression is that it's shifting just about where I'd shift a manual. Sometimes a little over, but not much. And I really like the way it downshifts, I use the brakes a lot more lightly.
Appreciate 1
      01-15-2020, 09:47 PM   #194
King_Leonard
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Well, the paddles are great but in M/S mode the paddle changes are sticky. Once you touch them, the mode switches to "M" and it really means it. So, once a paddle, always a paddle. Or whack the shifter right-left to reset to "S".

In "D" transmission mode (shifter to the right), the paddles are soft, you can bop around and the car will return to automatic once you start cruising again.

So it's a very different experience. Personally, I don't find that M/S holds on to gears, unless I really tip into the throttle (where I actually want it to do that). My impression is that it's shifting just about where I'd shift a manual. Sometimes a little over, but not much. And I really like the way it downshifts, I use the brakes a lot more lightly.
Yes, exactly!

Unfortunately, the shift points in S mode are a bit too aggressive for city driving.

Also, as I previously mentioned, S mode seems to be programmed to 'engine brake' as much as possible. For example, when going downhill at 40mph the engine will stay at high revs (>4000 rpm). Depressing the accelerator to nudge it into the next higher gear doesn't seem to work. And I don't want to manually up-shift because it will go from S3 to M4 and then remain in M mode.

It's really pathetic how clunky stop-and-go performance is in Comfort mode.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2020, 07:50 AM   #195
//TMT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by King_Leonard View Post
when going downhill at 40mph the engine will stay at high revs (>4000 rpm). Depressing the accelerator to nudge it into the next higher gear doesn't seem to work...
OTOH, I don't consider 4krpm to be high, and it gives good engine braking. To each their own I guess!

But, stepping on the gas is the opposite of asking the transmission to shift up, even at 4k. At 40mph, the S mode is going to hold the gear in S3. I think you'll have to push the shifter into D to convince it to go up on its own.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2020, 05:02 PM   #196
satz
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 M40i

Does anyone know if this induced throttle lag occurs in other BMW's with manual transmission? Or is it something that's only in DCT and Auto gearboxes?

I know it was just as bad on my old Auto 335i
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2020, 06:47 PM   #197
CSBM5
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Comp, 2011 M3, etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by satz View Post
Does anyone know if this induced throttle lag occurs in other BMW's with manual transmission? Or is it something that's only in DCT and Auto gearboxes?

I know it was just as bad on my old Auto 335i
Never had any issue with manual BMWs like this. We currently have an M2C and E90 M3 with 6MT (manual), and you have complete control over the car. Every BMW prior to these going back to the mid-70s had manuals also without issue. 20 years ago we did have one automatic BMW, an E32 735i, and it functioned fine (of course this was well before drive-by-wire came along). Our other current BMW (E91 328i) is hampered by an automatic, and it does lag at times when you demand response (we hate it and wish it had a 6MT); if it's in sport mode, it behaves a lot better.
2007 E91 328i Silver, slushbox, Eibach fr/E93 M3 rear sway bars, ARC-8
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2020, 07:35 AM   #198
billnchristy
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 M440xi GC

Garage List
I did discover that in the wet, s-s and tc off you can get some nice oversteer
Appreciate 0