BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X2 Forum (F39) Is anyone else having throttle issues??

12-03-2019, 10:42 AM   #155
//TMT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X2 M35i, 2005 Volvo V50T5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigP View Post
So, Schöne Grüße from Bimmercode s
Ok this gave me a laugh. "Schöne Grüße" means (roughly) "best regards"

But do keep us up to date on any response from BMW...
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2019, 11:48 AM   #156
TheBigP
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X2 M35i

That's funny! Sorry about that - thought I was being respectful by trying to copy his actual name from the email, yuck, yuck...
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2019, 12:19 PM   #157
billnchristy
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 M440xi GC

Garage List
I always see Mit freundlichen Grüßen
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2019, 12:50 PM   #158
//TMT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X2 M35i, 2005 Volvo V50T5

There are lots of ways to say it, depending on where in Germany the person is from, and what is the setting!

BR

Appreciate 0
      12-03-2019, 01:11 PM   #159
El Greco DC
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘19 X2 M35i

I'm sure this is coincidental, but just today I received an email survey from BMW Germany. It's odd since I purchased it several months ago.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-03-2019, 04:23 PM   #160
spdandpwr
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X3 M Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Greco DC View Post
I'm sure this is coincidental, but just today I received an email survey from BMW Germany. It's odd since I purchased it several months ago.
It's intentional. They want your feedback after a few months of ownership to see how it's settled on you. They also do surveys for newer owners versus older owners to see if issues are prevalent across groups.

Be sure to cite that throttle issue...it's downright dangerous.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2019, 07:59 PM   #161
DAC17
Long live BMW M's!
Rep
Drives: 2023 CT5-V

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdandpwr View Post
It's intentional. They want your feedback after a few months of ownership to see how it's settled on you. They also do surveys for newer owners versus older owners to see if issues are prevalent across groups.

Be sure to cite that throttle issue...it's downright dangerous.
Which is precisely what I did in my email to BMW customer service (Corporate)
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2019, 08:19 PM   #162
satz
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 M40i

Quote:
I was trying to change lanes in traffic and there was a good three seconds before the car kicked down. I don't need full throttle and a blast of torque just enough to push me into the next lane. I now exclusively drive in manual mode.
Unfortunately this happens to me way too often. But why do we need to drive with 'manual' mode, when the gearbox (DCT in my case) should be able to sense the quick acceleration needed (due to the pressing of the accelerator), and then drop gear/s very quickly.

Just doesn't happen.

I get the same delay on takeoff from dead stop.

Not good enough for a car company that supposedly has performance in mind. Even my humble Nissan Rogue auto is more responsive off the line and overtaking (of course it ultimately has less power, but at least initially it gets moving more quickly and predictably)...
Appreciate 2
      12-07-2019, 10:00 PM   #163
King_Leonard
Private First Class
Rep

Did a quick search on F30/F32 forum for similar problems and found the B48 engine and 8AT (ZF) also had similar problems.

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...ht=smooth+stop

From what I can tell, it's a torque converter lock-up issue that appears to be "normal" for BMWs.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2019, 10:10 PM   #164
billnchristy
Major
Rep

Garage List
I think it’s all programming. If it’s happening across platforms and with dct, aisin, and zf trans then it’s not a mechanical problem.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2019, 06:26 AM   #165
CSBM5
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Comp, 2011 M3, etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by billnchristy View Post
I think it’s all programming. If it’s happening across platforms and with dct, aisin, and zf trans then it’s not a mechanical problem.
I tend to agree with this thought. It wouldn't surprise me if it's essentially tied to an extreme effort to "make the numbers" on both fuel economy and emissions certification testing. If driveability has to suffer and 95+% of customers are clueless, I don't think they care. Especially when someone complains and is told "it's normal, they all do it", and they buy the excuse that it's them not the car. It's those of us who want the car to perform like it truly should who go nuts over stuff like this...especially engineers and like-minded people who know it's fixable -- like my wife who refuses to get any new BMW without a 6MT where you can control throttle and transmission like you want.

Now we're stuck since we want to replace the E91 with an F31 or possibly X2 M35i or even an X3/X4 M40i. I've even read in a number of reviews of the X3M and X4M about delay at slow speeds which is being blamed on the S58 when of course it's probably a similar programming issue (to meet max fuel economy and min emission numbers).

Bold statement: "There will be no "fix" for this "problem"." I say that since it's probable the car would require EPA emission and fuel economy re-certification. I'm not sure what level of tweaks they can do without re-cert. That said, I know on the E9x M3 there were a number of DME updates for the S65 that didn't require such, but then again that was a decade ago now. Hence I would love to be completely wrong about this and BMW releases updates for all these models that provides smooth and responsive on-demand engine/transmission response in these slow-speed situations.
2007 E91 328i Silver, slushbox, Eibach fr/E93 M3 rear sway bars, ARC-8
Appreciate 1
      12-08-2019, 02:20 PM   #166
billnchristy
Major
Rep

Garage List
If the platform becomes popular there will be aftermarket tunes
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2019, 09:53 AM   #167
TheBigP
Enlisted Member
Rep

Yeah, I also think a reflash is unlikely. I wonder about improved settings in iDrive or something to allow for selection of attributes and whether that would essentially also be impossible because it violates the regs for economy, etc. After using Cobb's Accessport and Dinan flashes to make previous vehicles just simply drive better, I'd be very happy to do it again. However, it seems like flash tunes are getting more rare and everybody is going piggyback, which doesn't appeal to me as much. At least being on this forum I know I'll find out as soon as anyone discovers some kind of fix...
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2019, 10:23 AM   #168
Destroya
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X2 M35i

This is the touchiest throttle of any BMW I have owned. In Comfort, as discussed, there is a slight lag. In Sport, I need to have thin soled shoes to modulate the pedal accurately. The other morning I was wearing boots and at a stop. A slight press on the pedal and I almost rear ended the car in front the acceleration was so instantaneous. This car really has a blast of power down low.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2019, 11:12 AM   #169
spdandpwr
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X3 M Comp

I also noticed that you need to press the TCS button (just once, not hold) to activate dynamic traction. Otherwise, 1st and 2nd gear get limited power output if it senses any slipping. Car feels so held back.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2019, 11:54 AM   #170
rice_rocket88
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E60 F48 F39

Quote:
I also noticed that you need to press the TCS button (just once, not hold) to activate dynamic traction. Otherwise, 1st and 2nd gear get limited power output if it senses any slipping. Car feels so held back.
Yes it's a little bit useful in the snow when getting out of some side streets. If you do hold it down it turns off all the nannies and you can go have yourself some real fun in the parking lot doing donuts
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2019, 12:21 PM   #171
El Greco DC
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘19 X2 M35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destroya View Post
This is the touchiest throttle of any BMW I have owned. In Comfort, as discussed, there is a slight lag. In Sport, I need to have thin soled shoes to modulate the pedal accurately. The other morning I was wearing boots and at a stop. A slight press on the pedal and I almost rear ended the car in front the acceleration was so instantaneous. This car really has a blast of power down low.
This is so true. Trying to compensate for the throttle lag by engaging sport mode produces the opposite problem.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2019, 08:10 AM   #172
CSBM5
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Comp, 2011 M3, etc

So my quest continues for a replacement for the E91. After driving an M-sport package X1 and being totally disappointed, we've now shifted gears to potentially a Macan. I've yet to drive the latest Macan S yet, but I thought this quote below from R&T's test was "interesting" given the discussions I've seen in this thread and also comments made on the X3M/X4M board and reviews about these slow speed response issues.

After heavily praising the Porsche PDK, they point out:
" I did determine one situation where the V6 and PDK didn't quite play nice: When in rolling to a near stop heading towards a roundabout, in Normal mode, the transmission won't downshift to first. In second gear at low speeds, there's a moment where you get on the gas and nothing happens. It's frustrating, though I imagine it could be solved with some software programming. And otherwise, the transmission is top-notch."

In this case, it sounds like a manual downshift into 1st or using one of the sport modes would solve the issue, and the throttle would respond fine. I'm not sure that's the case in the X2 M35i all the time? (or X4M with similar complaint?) If you're coming to a slow (10-15mph?) rolling corner, say a 90 degree turn at a green stoplight, and you demand response with a moderate dose of throttle, is the problem still apparent if you've already manually downshifted to 1st? Will the transmission respond and accept the downshift request quickly? And will the throttle respond linearly and smoothly?

Waiting for the new year to test drive everything in this segment to see first hand what's up with all of these potential issues (X2 M35i, X4 M40i, X4M, Macan S, Macan turbo).

Has anyone had any success with BMWNA yet on the throttle issue?
2007 E91 328i Silver, slushbox, Eibach fr/E93 M3 rear sway bars, ARC-8
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2019, 08:34 AM   #173
rounderman
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X2 M35

Garage List
2019 BMW X2 M35  [9.50]
I don't see it

maybe it's my driving style, I really don't see or experience the throttle issues. I drive almost exclusively in sport mode and I rarely use the paddles. what lag I experience is very similar to my former 2013 335, stick. there I shifted

I really like my car wish it had Android auto and blind spot warning (it would make Mrs. rounderman happier, but she likes the car overall)

I grin when i get in it. definitely try the m35, is it perfect, of course not, but a good mix of fun and practical.

enjoy the hunt
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2019, 10:50 PM   #174
King_Leonard
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rounderman View Post
maybe it's my driving style, I really don't see or experience the throttle issues. I drive almost exclusively in sport mode and I rarely use the paddles. what lag I experience is very similar to my former 2013 335, stick. there I shifted

I really like my car wish it had Android auto and blind spot warning (it would make Mrs. rounderman happier, but she likes the car overall)

I grin when i get in it. definitely try the m35, is it perfect, of course not, but a good mix of fun and practical.

enjoy the hunt
You're not experiencing the hesitation because you are in sport mode all the time. Switch to comfort mode and try making a quick left turn with oncoming traffic. (actually don't)

As far as a solution, I wish BMW could replace comfort mode with a 'de-tuned' version of sport mode + softer suspension if DDC option was installed.

Sport mode is way too crazy for inner city driving. While comfort mode is so weak that Corollas are beating me off the line.
Appreciate 2
CSBM52665.50
Destroya371.00
      12-26-2019, 11:00 PM   #175
King_Leonard
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSBM5 View Post

Waiting for the new year to test drive everything in this segment to see first hand what's up with all of these potential issues (X2 M35i, X4 M40i, X4M, Macan S, Macan turbo).
The best advice I can offer is to thoroughly test drive these cars in different drive modes, especially comfort mode.

At this point, the only thing that might motivate BMW to fix this problem ASAP is for potential customers such as yourself to point out this issue and then walk away.

Best of luck!
Appreciate 1
CSBM52665.50
      12-27-2019, 06:39 AM   #176
rounderman
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X2 M35

Garage List
2019 BMW X2 M35  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by King_Leonard View Post
You're not experiencing the hesitation because you are in sport mode all the time. Switch to comfort mode and try making a quick left turn with oncoming traffic. (actually don't)

As far as a solution, I wish BMW could replace comfort mode with a 'de-tuned' version of sport mode + softer suspension if DDC option was installed.

Sport mode is way too crazy for inner city driving. While comfort mode is so weak that Corollas are beating me off the line.

I drive in comfort on occasion, I read a long time ago that Jackie Stewart was quoted in an article to drive like you have an egg under your foot. Having said that I really don't see any significant lag again maybe its how I drive I try very hard not to put myself in situations where 1/2 second matters (the joys of being older).

On the stiffness side it is my understanding you can have sport mode to only do throttle and not suspension. I have the DDC but the child in me likes the stiffer ride
I assume you have seen the threads on the pedal tuners, the folks who have installed them, seem to really like the performance. Given these are drive by wire programing seems a smart solution to your issues

I truly hope you can get the car working the way you would like. Good Luck
Appreciate 0