BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X2 Forum (F39) Is anyone else having throttle issues??

10-11-2019, 05:02 PM   #45
Glazonyoursix
Private
Rep
Drives: X2 M35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Greco DC View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glazonyoursix View Post
Quote:
This is still happening to me with my M35i on a regular basis and today was particularly bad. The trip home from work involved a lot of stop and go traffic and I nearly rear ended the car in front of me twice because of the throttle lag. I went to accelerate and the vehicle hesitated then jumped forward in a burst after about 2 seconds. Also, while trying to make a quick left turn against oncoming traffic, the throttle lagged so badly I nearly caused an accident . . . also twice. The Auto-off was deactivated during the whole trip and I noticed the same condition in all three of the driving modes.

The ONLY thing that alleviated this was when I put the transmission into manual mode and used paddle shifters to shift. There was zero lag and the car behaved perfectly in that condition.

Are others experiencing the same thing? It's gotten to the point where I really no longer trust the vehicle to respond as it should. I end up looking like I'm hesitating at four way stops and left turns after slowing down. This causes the other vehicles to take advantage of my "hesitation" and go through intersections because they think I'm still stopped or coming to a rolling stop. Ugh.
This is the exact same issue that I had in my M35i. Every time I would come to a stop light or turning to the left that is when the car lagged terribly. You legit explained exactly how I had my problems.
You mentioned that after your trip to the dealer in July the problem seemed to be fixed. Is it still gone or has it come back?
Sadly it's come back. I took it to the dealer to get checked out again about 3 weeks ago. They said they couldn't find anything with it and that they did a reprogramming. This would be the second time I've taken it in. So far I'm testing it out still. Have you taken it into the dealer?
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2019, 05:06 PM   #46
El Greco DC
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘19 X2 M35i

Not yet but I am making an appointment this weekend.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2019, 05:07 PM   #47
El Greco DC
Private
United_States
Rep

I wonder how many complaints it takes before BMW does an investigation and/or considers a recall.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2019, 05:08 PM   #48
Glazonyoursix
Private
Rep

Quote:
Please do keep us updated. Hopefully they tell you something they can help us with.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2019, 05:09 PM   #49
El Greco DC
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Please do keep us updated. Hopefully they tell you something they can help us with.
I definitely will.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2019, 06:56 PM   #50
billnchristy
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 M440xi GC

Garage List
What’s yalls bulid date? Did either of you have an x1 prior?
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2019, 08:19 PM   #51
DAC17
Long live BMW M's!
Rep
Drives: 2023 CT5-V

Quote:
Originally Posted by billnchristy View Post
What’s yalls bulid date? Did either of you have an x1 prior?
My build date was during April, 2019, and I have the exact same issue as the OP. As with others, I would think (hope?) BMW would issue a software update for this.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2019, 08:39 PM   #52
//TMT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X2 M35i, 2005 Volvo V50T5

One thing's not completely clear from the thread - does the engine rev, and the car doesn't go? Or does the engine basically remain at idle?
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2019, 09:06 PM   #53
El Greco DC
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by billnchristy View Post
What's yalls bulid date? Did either of you have an x1 prior?
My build date is April 2019 also
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2019, 09:07 PM   #54
El Greco DC
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by //TMT View Post
One thing's not completely clear from the thread - does the engine rev, and the car doesn't go? Or does the engine basically remain at idle?
The engine remains at idle and then it explodes. There is no revving at all during the lag.
Appreciate 1
      10-12-2019, 12:58 AM   #55
satz
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 M40i

Mine (Jan 2019 build 2.0 petrol - non M35i) is doing it, esp when taking off hard from standstill. Even an old Passat next to me accelerated faster initially.

The car moves much slower that you'd expect for about a second, then accelerates properly. Then it's all wheel spin and torque steer when the power kicks in. Sh*** front wheel drive.

Took it for a drive with the dealership tech who said it was normal...

It's bad, and at least I can see others have this issue.

I remember my old N54 335i had a software update early on aimed at reducing the lag.

Last edited by satz; 10-12-2019 at 10:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2019, 06:49 AM   #56
Glazonyoursix
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
The engine remains at idle and then it explodes. There is no revving at all during the lag.
You feel like the engine completely died right?
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2019, 07:35 AM   #57
El Greco DC
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Yes exactly!
Appreciate 1
      10-12-2019, 07:43 AM   #58
Glazonyoursix
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Yes exactly!
Thank God I wasn't the only one that felt like that.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2019, 10:50 AM   #59
//TMT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

This sure sounds like a software issue. The key to getting these fixed is to figure out exactly how to recreate the (mis)behavior.

Curious, do you think it has to do with coming off the brake and sharply onto the accelerator? Does snapping the accelerator off, then back on, wake anything up? Or, stabbing at the brake?

I'm slightly wondering if it isn't some kind of interaction with the launch control recognition. I'll make a date with my favorite parking lot.
Appreciate 1
      10-12-2019, 11:03 AM   #60
El Greco DC
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
This sure sounds like a software issue. The key to getting these fixed is to figure out exactly how to recreate the (mis)behavior.

Curious, do you think it has to do with coming off the brake and sharply onto the accelerator? Does snapping the accelerator off, then back on, wake anything up? Or, stabbing at the brake?

I'm slightly wondering if it isn't some kind of interaction with the launch control recognition. I'll make a date with my favorite parking lot.
Unfortunately no. At least for me, it happens when I engage the accelerator either sharply or mildly and the time between releasing the brake and pressing the accelerator doesn't make a difference. In fact, it most happens when I'm "coasting", i. e. my foot has been off the brake for at least a second and I'm starting to roll from a stop.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2019, 12:33 PM   #61
Glazonyoursix
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Unfortunately no. At least for me, it happens when I engage the accelerator either sharply or mildly and the time between releasing the brake and pressing the accelerator doesn't make a difference. In fact, it most happens when I'm "coasting", i. e. my foot has been off the brake for at least a second and I'm starting to roll from a stop.
I second this and if I may add that I highly doubt it would be something that has to do with Launch Control as if I'm not mistaken launch control can only happen when Traction Control is off. When it first happened I had someone in the passenger seat and a truck was coming fast so that really gave me a huge scare. It's one of those things where I really don't think it can be software as it is acceleration that is mainly having.
Appreciate 1
      10-12-2019, 07:16 PM   #62
//TMT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I second this and if I may add that I highly doubt it would be something that has to do with Launch Control as if I'm not mistaken launch control can only happen when Traction Control is off. When it first happened I had someone in the passenger seat and a truck was coming fast so that really gave me a huge scare. It's one of those things where I really don't think it can be software as it is acceleration that is mainly having.
Yes of course. But if the lag is due to a bug, I still think launch detection might be involved. Or might not! Data is needed, that's my point.

Good info on the "coasting" thing. I guess that also means that the steering angle isn't a factor, which was another guess.

One other question - can I assume you completely floor the accelerator, with no response? I.e. you push past the normal range and into the higher-pedal-resistance kickdown range?
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2019, 07:19 PM   #63
Glazonyoursix
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Yes of course. But if the lag is due to a bug, I still think launch detection might be involved. Or might not! Data is needed, that's my point.

Good info on the "coasting" thing. I guess that also means that the steering angle isn't a factor, which was another guess.

One other question - can I assume you completely floor the accelerator, with no response? I.e. you push past the normal range and into the higher-pedal-resistance kickdown range?
I would say around 50-60% of input.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2019, 07:56 PM   #64
El Greco DC
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I'd say about 30 - 40% actually. Given how much it explodes already, I'm way too afraid to floor it.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2019, 10:17 AM   #65
Glazonyoursix
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I'd say about 30 - 40% actually. Given how much it explodes already, I'm way too afraid to floor it.
Actually correct my bad I was wrong about my input.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2019, 12:55 PM   #66
El Greco DC
Private
United_States
Rep

I called BMWUSA to let them know about the issue. They took down the information and said they'll "look into it". Doubtful.

For what it's worth, I registered a complaint with the NHTSA. If any of you are still experiencing this issue, I highly encourage you to do the same. An investigation/recall won't happen unless there are enough complaints. Here's the link to my complaint:

https://www.nhtsa.gov/vehicle/2019/B...FWD#complaints

I drove the vehicle for a few hours today in both open highway and city driving situations and the lag occurred every single time I tried to accelerate from a slow roll (auto-off was disengaged and I tested it in all three driving modes). I confirmed the engine doesn't rev during the lag. I also attempted to floor the accelerator during the lag (as another commenter suggested) and the vehicle did what I expected it would: after a few seconds, it exploded forward but with more force than before.

On a bright note, it looks great freshly washed.
Appreciate 0