BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X2 Forum (F39) Is anyone else having throttle issues??

03-25-2020, 10:26 AM   #221
TheBigP
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X2 M35i

I had a '14 X1 35i with M sport and a Dinan flash. Loved it so much I bought a '15 as a tribute (last model year), set up the same way but with the larger wheels. When the warranty ran out, I confirmed my bike would fit in the back of the X2 and then bought the M35i. Yes, the X1 was a sophisticated sleeper that lurked in the fast lane but also got you to the trail-head effectively. To me, compared to the X2, there may have been some turbo lag but nothing at all like the issue we've all been discussing in this thread. If you haven't noticed it during your test drives, I'm sure you will if you bring it home. It's not a deal-killer, as we've all pretty much said, but it's annoying at times and can feel downright scary if it hits at the wrong moment. For me, the only thing I really miss from the X1 is the 6-cylinders and the rear-bias. Otherwise, the X2 feels so much lighter and more nimble; more like my old WRX than the X1. It would be great to get a tune for this car, but I don't think it needs to squeeze more power out of the engine. The tune needs to dial-in the shifting for driving enthusiasts or (ideally) give us options for selecting the package of settings we prefer. As of now, I'd buy this car again, despite its issues. Mostly because there's nothing quite like it available in America at this time. But, take notice BMW, if another hot hatch with a little clearance hits the market at some point, I will take a hard look...
Appreciate 1
      03-25-2020, 10:49 AM   #222
billnchristy
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 M440xi GC

Garage List
I have to agree. I got to do a lead-follow with an m5 and was very impressed with the handling of the m35i. You don’t feel like you’re in an suv when you push it.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2020, 10:01 AM   #223
connerry330i
Private
Rep
Drives: 23' 330i XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigP View Post
I had a '14 X1 35i with M sport and a Dinan flash. Loved it so much I bought a '15 as a tribute (last model year), set up the same way but with the larger wheels. When the warranty ran out, I confirmed my bike would fit in the back of the X2 and then bought the M35i. Yes, the X1 was a sophisticated sleeper that lurked in the fast lane but also got you to the trail-head effectively. To me, compared to the X2, there may have been some turbo lag but nothing at all like the issue we've all been discussing in this thread. If you haven't noticed it during your test drives, I'm sure you will if you bring it home. It's not a deal-killer, as we've all pretty much said, but it's annoying at times and can feel downright scary if it hits at the wrong moment. For me, the only thing I really miss from the X1 is the 6-cylinders and the rear-bias. Otherwise, the X2 feels so much lighter and more nimble; more like my old WRX than the X1. It would be great to get a tune for this car, but I don't think it needs to squeeze more power out of the engine. The tune needs to dial-in the shifting for driving enthusiasts or (ideally) give us options for selecting the package of settings we prefer. As of now, I'd buy this car again, despite its issues. Mostly because there's nothing quite like it available in America at this time. But, take notice BMW, if another hot hatch with a little clearance hits the market at some point, I will take a hard look...
My X1 had the larger wheels as well...the 19's with PZeros. Damned good fun. I picked up the X2 yesterday, so far so good, obviously not been able to really drive it thanks to quarantine.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2020, 10:28 AM   #224
rice_rocket88
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E60 F48 F39

I think the best part of it is the exhaust/motor just sounds very nice.. and it's stock! I always want more grumble, but this is just about the right amount. I agree more power isn't all needed now a days with so much traffic, but always knowing there's more is always the bug! I was hoping when I made my own intake it would make some more nice sounds.. but it barely changed. I still haven't had a chance to hit the dyno, I would love to see not only what is stock... but if the intake would make even a smidge of a difference. BOV options and any other bits would be nice, but the design of this motor really doesn't look like there's a lot that can be done without drastic changes. For now I actually ordered some spacers for the stock wheels. After going so aggressive with my winter setup, now that I put back the stock wheels, it looks so anemic. I can't justify buying myself a new set of wheels until I at least burn through the stock rubber The BMS Pedal tuner did help a little more with the throttle, as did it make the wife's X1 feel a lot smoother. I'm still itching to see what other go fast or cosmetic bits come out for this car.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2020, 12:28 AM   #225
Xorbitman
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by connerry340i View Post
You know what? I miss the hell out of that X1. I had a Dinan tune on it and a ton of coding including the Alpina flash and it was hilariously fun to drive...real sleeper. The X2 feels a lot like that car did in its modified state, especially since I'm going with the 20's/no-adaptive suspension.

I'll miss the power from the 340 but not the handling. It has the track package, Pilot Sports AND Dinan Shockware and it still makes me nervous, however power was never that car's problem so I never tuned the engine. Hoping someone drops a tune for the X2 soon, because I think it could be really special with more power in the mid and top end. Otherwise it seems like a really fun car.

Ha yeah on both my test drives some M3/M4 driving numbnuts have tried to test me on the freeway...1) it's a test drive, idiot; 2) I know it ain't a full on M, it's a new age 2002tii with a CSL tribute in the C pillar. Relax, bro...we're good here.
I have to agree with you. I had a programmer/tuner remap my 2018 X1 and I added a bunch of cool features like folding the mirrors when I lock the doors if I keep my finger on the handle for more than 1 second. I removed the auto start/stop feature at initial start. All sorts of software options that aren't standard on a regular X1 and for an extra few hundred dollars I added the ECU map tune. They have 2 maps, regular and aggressive. I went with the regular and it adds about the same amount of HP and TQ as a Dinan or a BMS JB4 and It removes most of the lag in comfort mode. Although the car is best driven in Sport mode with the shifter in sport also. I drive it on the blvds and sometimes on the highway in sport mode. In stop and go traffic a prefer ECO PRO mode but I turn off the start/stop feature. I kept the 18" Wheels for winter with winter tires that are mandatory by law here in Montreal and went with 19" Niche aftermarket wheels and 255/40 performance tires. I have adaptive suspension and I find it makes a big difference. I have two sports cars yet since I added lots of personal touches to the interior and optioned the vehicle, I find it's these personal touches that set it apart from buying even an Acura or an Infiniti. I now prefer driving this vehicle than my sports cars because of the visibility and pep. As I said I went with the conservative map and I added the BMS Cold Air Intake and I have over 40HP and 50TQ more at the wheel (Not the crank) than stock. My tuner also modified the pedal/throttle response in sports mode. It's a blast to drive and a lot faster than stock and with the performance wheels and tires it makes a big difference on the handling. Mine is also an Xdrive. I'm glad that I bought this instead of the Audi Q3 or Q5 or the RDX or the Infiniti QX50. Incidentally the QX50 doesn't have power folding mirrors! The BlueTooth audio in these vehicles is very clean. I found out that the 2021 X1 now has dash and door stitching and a larger 12.3 screen. I really like driving this car and I find it's very attractive and generates quite a few stares. I have the LED fogs and I added LED Amber turns: LED requires software programming of the ECU. The new 2021 apparently also has a lot more voice activated features. For the time being I will enjoy this one.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2020, 09:17 PM   #226
jcatral14
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 Mineral Grey X2 M35i

So, has this issue been addressed by BMWNA? Picked up an M35i recently. I'm still performing shakedown trials and this hesitation has happened to me once already. Was at one of those weird Y intersections where the other street to my right had right of way. Saw an opening and hit the gas and...nothing. Then it started to go but the traffic was a lot closer now so I had to stop in the middle of the intersection. Not fun. I can see sliding the lever to S mode in Comfort Mode helping but this shouldn't happen. Will definitely mention this to my SA when I bring the car in for service.
Stay safe all

By the way, first post here. So this is the other forum... More action here

-jay

Appreciate 1
      09-16-2020, 03:16 AM   #227
Davy Jordi
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F39 X2 M35i

i have yet to experience this but given all that's been said in this thread, i'm sure i will at some point. combine that with me not really having driven the car a terrible amount because i'm working from home, and yeah, i just haven't had the opportunity to experience this issue, so we'll see. i'm expecting it but as to whether i find it just annoying or whether i find it dangerous is a big deal.'

i guess the takeaway here is to try to avoid situations in which i would need that split-second response, like pulling out into traffic where the gap is small enough to warrant that caution.
      09-16-2020, 06:47 AM   #228
rounderman
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X2 M35

Garage List
2019 BMW X2 M35  [9.50]
So I have the car for 18 months, yes there is some lag if you stomp the pedal. try rolling your foot into it. Also for driving around the city I always drive in sport (yes I have the maturity of a 5 year old) and I don't see a huge difference in ride comfort. I also have the dynamic dampers which theoretically would make a difference in ride quality. If yo don't have them then seriously why drive in comfort. sport adjusts steering and throttle response only no changes to suspension. In my old 335 which was bone stock with a stick I had throttle response issue s(no not because my left foot was slow) and I always drove in sport because better throttle. my 2 cents. If you look around this forum a number of members have installed a pedal tuner which they say tales care of the issue. If mine wasn't leased I would definitely look into it.

great car, I grin a lot when I drive it.
good luck
Appreciate 2
CSBM52665.50
      09-16-2020, 08:09 AM   #229
TheBigP
Enlisted Member
Rep

Yes, still very much an issue. No, BMW has not (to my knowledge) dealt with or even acknowledged the issue. I stand by all my previous posts...
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2020, 08:25 AM   #230
//TMT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X2 M35i, 2005 Volvo V50T5

In "Sport", the issue is minimal.

In "Comfort", it's definitely a problem. But, slap the shifter to the left to put the transmission program in Sport, and again the issue is minimal.

No disagreement that this is not a problem the car, or its driver, should have.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2020, 03:49 PM   #231
rice_rocket88
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E60 F48 F39

Yes it was mentioned in the mini too.. I would say it could be a programmed improvement, but BMW has not said a thing. Like rounderman said in his old 335 it was similar. On my n54 days I reflashed my transmission to a different program which was awesome.. and then I also got myself a JB4 tuner, which was more awesome.

I'll tell you right now, however, that the JB4 does not fix this problem. The pedal tuner as mentioned helps a bunch, but ultimately I always drive it in sport mode too. I've learned to try to roll into the throttle fast but steady, and no more punching it. The car seems to have learned (or my foot) to behave nicely now.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2020, 04:40 PM   #232
Davy Jordi
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F39 X2 M35i

to //TMT 's point, can't you enable the transmission to be in sport mode all the time via bimmercode? i watched a youtube video last night about doing this but it was for a four series and i haven't tried to do this yet. i did code the mirrors to fold/unfold and disabled the auto start/stop which was what i bought the stupid app for. worth it even if just for the mirrors and the auto start/stop.
      09-16-2020, 06:44 PM   #233
Tarekith
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M35i

Yes you can make it always start in Sport mode with Bimmercode, that's the first thing I did
      09-16-2020, 08:12 PM   #234
//TMT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X2 M35i, 2005 Volvo V50T5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarekith View Post
Yes you can make it always start in Sport mode with Bimmercode, that's the first thing I did
Nope, that's a different Sport. That mode tweaks the engine map, engages the dynamic dampers, etc. Transmission Sport is only engaged by moving the shifter to the left - gear indicator in instrument moves to "S". To my knowledge, there is no other way to engage this mode.

If you put both in Sport, you get even more Sport behavior - to the point of being kind of obnoxious. Using double-Sport mode is really annoying around town. You take off from a stop and the engine revs to like 5K rpm in second gear. But it's great on the open road.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2020, 08:42 AM   #235
rounderman
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X2 M35

Garage List
2019 BMW X2 M35  [9.50]
just to chime in again. I rarely put the transmission in sport, however for grins I drove around yesterday with both the engine and transmission in sport, OMG the care was a beast. had way too much fun which is why I remember not to do that too often

on the bimmercode front, if you go to the website ( I know how archaic) they allow you to see what can be coded for your specific car. I did that to plan out my coding before I jumped in ( yes I am an accountant by training)

anyway good luck and enjoy it has been a long time since I was so thoroughly pleased with my car
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2020, 05:56 PM   #236
Glen e
Retired from BMWNA
Rep
Drives: ‘21 X2 m35i

I am taking delivery of a 2021 M35i in late December. Is this hesitation/lag still a problem , even on the 2021s?

I guess I’ll use my BimmerCode app to have it start in sport mode, and also kill the start stop as the default.

Last edited by Glen e; 11-18-2020 at 08:28 PM..
Appreciate 1
      11-19-2020, 06:44 AM   #237
xcelir8bmw
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M240ix

Buy a BMS pedal tuner to help mitigate.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2020, 10:32 AM   #238
TheBigP
Enlisted Member
Rep

Yes, still a problem. I also used Bimmercode to dismantle start/stop and engage Sport mode when starting up. Nice features and worth it, but as others have said it does nothing to mitigate this issue. The "doublesport" mode is indeed too crazy for running errands and paddle driving is cumbersome and awkward at times around town with the extra wheel turning required. As I've written before, I think the 8-speed tranny is too "smart" and tuned to either save fuel or minimize jarring gear jumps at low speeds (the kind you feel when in "doublesport"). As such, it reads certain situations (like a rolling turn) incorrectly and puts you into 3rd gear (or even 4th possibly) when you really wanted (and expected) to be in 2nd or even 1st, based on how slow you're actually going. If there was a setting that allowed you to see which gear you are in when not in the "left" sport setting, it would be easy to track this behavior. I've tried testing this theory a little by downshifting with the paddles right when I think I should be in a lower gear and the experience does seem to show that I'm in a higher gear than I thought. But, the way the system works you can't be fully certain of where you were, just where you are (gear-wise). I still love the car but I would be hard-pressed to buy it again knowing this issue was still present. Honestly, I'd take an old-school 4-speed manual over this 8-speed wonderbox any day...
Appreciate 1
CSBM52665.50
      11-19-2020, 02:02 PM   #239
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 LCI xDrive 2.0i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigP View Post
Yes, still a problem. I also used Bimmercode to dismantle start/stop and engage Sport mode when starting up. Nice features and worth it, but as others have said it does nothing to mitigate this issue. The "doublesport" mode is indeed too crazy for running errands and paddle driving is cumbersome and awkward at times around town with the extra wheel turning required. As I've written before, I think the 8-speed tranny is too "smart" and tuned to either save fuel or minimize jarring gear jumps at low speeds (the kind you feel when in "doublesport"). As such, it reads certain situations (like a rolling turn) incorrectly and puts you into 3rd gear (or even 4th possibly) when you really wanted (and expected) to be in 2nd or even 1st, based on how slow you're actually going. If there was a setting that allowed you to see which gear you are in when not in the "left" sport setting, it would be easy to track this behavior. I've tried testing this theory a little by downshifting with the paddles right when I think I should be in a lower gear and the experience does seem to show that I'm in a higher gear than I thought. But, the way the system works you can't be fully certain of where you were, just where you are (gear-wise). I still love the car but I would be hard-pressed to buy it again knowing this issue was still present. Honestly, I'd take an old-school 4-speed manual over this 8-speed wonderbox any day...
I can understand your frustration and pain. In fact, without going into any details you are seeing exactly the same problem that is prevalent on the majority of turbocharged 4 cylinder performance engines. This behavior is synonymous with the Audi Q5 2.0 litre TFSI (256 bhp) that I recently sold on. It is all down to turbo lag IF the start-stop system is disabled. It matters little what gearbox the car has. If you want an improvement, you have to keep the engine spinning faster all the time to negate turbo lag or go to a 6 cylinder engine.
2020 BMW X1 xDrive 2.0i MSport (F48).
2022 MB EQB 300 4MATIC AMG Line Premium
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2020, 02:56 PM   #240
CSBM5
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Comp, 2011 M3, etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_R View Post
I can understand your frustration and pain. In fact, without going into any details you are seeing exactly the same problem that is prevalent on the majority of turbocharged 4 cylinder performance engines. This behavior is synonymous with the Audi Q5 2.0 litre TFSI (256 bhp) that I recently sold on. It is all down to turbo lag IF the start-stop system is disabled. It matters little what gearbox the car has. If you want an improvement, you have to keep the engine spinning faster all the time to negate turbo lag or go to a 6 cylinder engine.
As C&D showed and the poster above noted, it's not purely a question of turbo lag completely but instead the transmission programming having it in too high of a gear at very slow speed (when it's not in sport transmission mode) and then requiring time to respond with an appropriate gear change all the way to 1st gear. Once that time period has elapsed, then you are dealing with turbo lag since only then can the engine start to generate enough rpm+fuel burn to spin the turbine up in speed.
2007 E91 328i Silver, slushbox, Eibach fr/E93 M3 rear sway bars, ARC-8
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2020, 04:52 PM   #241
Glen e
Retired from BMWNA
Rep
Drives: ‘21 X2 m35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSBM5 View Post
As C&D showed and the poster above noted, it's not purely a question of turbo lag completely but instead the transmission programming having it in too high of a gear at very slow speed (when it's not in sport transmission mode) and then requiring time to respond with an appropriate gear change all the way to 1st gear. Once that time period has elapsed, then you are dealing with turbo lag since only then can the engine start to generate enough rpm+fuel burn to spin the turbine up in speed.
I agree with this, it’s a transmission/software problem. The same exact thing was exhibited by the early X3’s in 2007 or so, on a rolling stop when you made the right turn , it would start in third gear, which was never enough for your pedal… Sometime later on they made a software change and it was radically reduced.....
Appreciate 1
CSBM52665.50
      11-20-2020, 03:16 AM   #242
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 LCI xDrive 2.0i M Sport

..and respectfully also turbo lag in the case of the Original Poster.
The user is highlighting a common trait with the car and not necessarily a problem. Not every person who owns an X1 X2 drives the same and expects the same from his/her vehicle. If it is such an insurmountable problem, they should be getting onto BMW to highlight it. If enough people complain then BMW might respond with programming. Other than that the Original Poster should consider using the paddles for shifting. After all, they are there for reasons such as this.
Perhaps his transmission should have a crystal ball modification or a software injection of clairvoyance. This is a joke by the way!
2020 BMW X1 xDrive 2.0i MSport (F48).
2022 MB EQB 300 4MATIC AMG Line Premium
Appreciate 0