BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X2 Forum (F39) 2018 X2 xDrive - Common Issues and Warranty

07-05-2022, 03:05 PM   #1
smp88
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2018 x2

2018 X2 xDrive - Common Issues and Warranty

Hi folks, I just picked up my first BMW this weekend a 2018 x2 xDrive with 23K miles. The car has 4 months left on the manufacturer warranty and I have some time to decide to extend it or go without one.

Looking through the forums, I've seen some common issues like drivetrain, but I thought I would ask to see if folks have advice for a new owner who averages less than 10K miles per year on his car.

Any common issues I should be keeping an eye on?
Any feelings one way or another on warranty?

I know these things are subjective, but that's what forums are for

Thank you in advance.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2022, 05:49 PM   #2
BobbyLoKat
Rep
Drives: BMW X2 xDrive 28i

hey fellow Portland X2 owner... did you extend the warranty? I bought one in Feb and didn't extend the warranty. Need 30,000 mi service soon... any thoughts on where to take it?
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2022, 09:13 PM   #3
smp88
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2018 x2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyLoKat View Post
hey fellow Portland X2 owner... did you extend the warranty? I bought one in Feb and didn't extend the warranty. Need 30,000 mi service soon... any thoughts on where to take it?
Ahoy! I'll be looking for you on the road - what color trim? I'm grey/metallic in Sport XDrive

Good question, my significant other was very happy to pay top dollar at the dealer for our last car (a volvo), but that ended fairly catastrophically with a cracked cylinder after 120k maint + coil replacements and ~2.5k in costs.

I might give an independent shop near me a shot - Botta Moto Works.

Last edited by smp88; 07-25-2022 at 06:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2022, 02:57 PM   #4
chowser51
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F33 430 and F39 M35i

Garage List
I bought my ‘19 last January that only had 3800 miles on it. I’m up at 30000 now. Mine is the M35i so the front brakes went around 25000. Other than that no issues. I’m out of warranty and don’t plan on getting an extended. I do most of my own maintenance. My 2018 430 F33 went to 75k miles before I sold it. I didn’t have any issues with the hardtop mechanism either.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2022, 08:29 PM   #5
jvivlemore
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X2

Welcome! I'm at 88,000 miles ('18 X2 w/ XDrive) and had only had two issues so far.

#1) When the temperature is over 70-75 degrees even applying gentle pressure to the gas pedal from a stop or around 30-40mph I will feel intermittent power to the drivetrain. This is even more noticeable and drastic if I accelerate immediately after turning or in a turn. This has been ongoing since 50,000 miles and the dealership before my warranty expired wasn't able to find an issue because I took it in when the weather was 50-60 degrees and couldn't be repeated and there was no error codes. An independent shop did notice this during a test drive and said it MIGHT be a rear differential issue. I've lived with it for a while but plan on having that independent shop dive into it more soon.

#2) This issue literally happened yesterday. I had a turn signal bulb out and replacing it didn't fix it so after talking to the independent shop owner, some forums, and FB groups found out that this vehicle had issues with the taillight assembly design. Where the turn signal bulb socket screws into the taillight assembly there are two silver contact points on the housing. The black plastic for the assembly had melted around that point so the metal from the socket wasn't making contact with the metal on the housing. I took a wood/metal file and some sandpaper and removed the melted plastic and cleaned up the contact point today and my signal lights work again. The other fix is to just replace the taillight assembly which is super easy to do but they run about $260 a piece. I spent $13 in tools and fixed it myself.

While the first issue is super annoying and stresses me out when it happens, I still love the car and plan on spending whatever it costs to fix it because I plan on keeping the car until it literally won't run anymore.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2022, 08:46 PM   #6
BobbyLoKat
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by smp88 View Post
Ahoy! I'll be looking for you on the road - what color trim? I'm grey/metallic in Sport XDrive

Good question, my significant other was very happy to pay top dollar at the dealer for our last car (a volvo), but that ended fairly catastrophically with a cracked cylinder after 120k maint + coil replacements and ~2.5k in costs.

I might give an independent shop near me a shot - Botta Moto Works.
Galvanic Gold xDrive28i M-Sport package - like the pic in the header!
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2022, 08:47 PM   #7
BobbyLoKat
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvivlemore View Post
Welcome! I'm at 88,000 miles ('18 X2 w/ XDrive) and had only had two issues so far.

#1) When the temperature is over 70-75 degrees even applying gentle pressure to the gas pedal from a stop or around 30-40mph I will feel intermittent power to the drivetrain. This is even more noticeable and drastic if I accelerate immediately after turning or in a turn. This has been ongoing since 50,000 miles and the dealership before my warranty expired wasn't able to find an issue because I took it in when the weather was 50-60 degrees and couldn't be repeated and there was no error codes. An independent shop did notice this during a test drive and said it MIGHT be a rear differential issue. I've lived with it for a while but plan on having that independent shop dive into it more soon.

#2) This issue literally happened yesterday. I had a turn signal bulb out and replacing it didn't fix it so after talking to the independent shop owner, some forums, and FB groups found out that this vehicle had issues with the taillight assembly design. Where the turn signal bulb socket screws into the taillight assembly there are two silver contact points on the housing. The black plastic for the assembly had melted around that point so the metal from the socket wasn't making contact with the metal on the housing. I took a wood/metal file and some sandpaper and removed the melted plastic and cleaned up the contact point today and my signal lights work again. The other fix is to just replace the taillight assembly which is super easy to do but they run about $260 a piece. I spent $13 in tools and fixed it myself.

While the first issue is super annoying and stresses me out when it happens, I still love the car and plan on spending whatever it costs to fix it because I plan on keeping the car until it literally won't run anymore.
Yeah, my rear right turn signal goes out randomly. I'll check the contacts sometime. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2022, 09:34 PM   #8
Silvaskin
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvivlemore View Post

Thank you! Just done the same on my rear indicator light. 5 min fix with a file, saved me a fortune!
Appreciate 0