BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos Time for something new....selling the Cayman

08-01-2022, 10:31 PM   #45
SoCal_NSX
Major
Rep
Drives: 981CS/428/is250/JLU Rubicon

Quote:
Originally Posted by c1pher View Post
Graphite Blue is one of my top favorites along with Chalk and wished they didn’t stop offering it. But that makes it a little more rare and special. Looks a little more blue than the Arctic Grey currently offered.
Yeah, was telling a salesman at another local Porsche dealer while checking out another 981 CS 6MT about the graphite blue metallic one I had found online in AZ...He said "go out there today and get that car!!" "that color is special"
that really intrigued me, cuz I had never seen it in person before....a few days later I made a deal over the phone on the car and flew out there shortly after.
Was kinda worried when I landed that I might not like it when I finally saw it...but when we pulled into the lot and I saw it for the first time I was like "wow"

crazy how it goes from a light blue to like a nardo grey depending on what time of day it is in...

sunset(stock suspension)

midday (now lowered)
Appreciate 1
      08-01-2022, 10:40 PM   #46
SoCal_NSX
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gameson View Post
You don’t feel any difference in driving between the base and the S ?
My S was a 981 with the NA flat six, the 718 is turbo'd flat four....

It feels quicker than my old Cayman S due to the instant and low end torque of the turbo.

I was a 981 die hard and never thought I would even consider the 718, but I'm sure glad I did...
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2022, 11:00 PM   #47
KevinGS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Past 2015 M4, Current 2013 M3

I think my next car will be as much manual Boxster as I can afford.

If my investments continue to grow quickly, it will be a Spyder (love the look of that car). If not, I'd like to squeeze into a Boxster 718 4.0 GTS. If I can't afford that, I'd be more than happy to settle for a 981 GTS.

I've Turo'd a few Boxsters over the years, and I always came away super impressed with its sheer agility and amazing practicality. Since I can't afford the mid-engine Ferrari that I want (the 458), nor does the Ferrari fit my driving profile of piling on miles with my love of longer trips...I think the mid-engine Boxster is for me. And I've become a convertible guy. Something about that al-fresco driving experience does something for my mood and my soul.

I may as well get one sooner than later while I can. And I'll likely just keep it, as driving a small, nimble, convertible sports car will never lose its luster with me.

And really, if I got a PDK, I'd be fine too. Since I drive a lot and all over the place, a manual does grow tiresome for me. So, we'll see. The tranny is TBD, but I'm set on the car...I think.

Last edited by KevinGS; 08-01-2022 at 11:12 PM..
Appreciate 2
SoCal_NSX2363.00
c1pher4545.50
      08-01-2022, 11:31 PM   #48
gameson
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 320i N20

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal_NSX View Post
My S was a 981 with the NA flat six, the 718 is turbo'd flat four....

It feels quicker than my old Cayman S due to the instant and low end torque of the turbo.

I was a 981 die hard and never thought I would even consider the 718, but I'm sure glad I did...
Sorry, i meant the 718 base and 718 S, any different?
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2022, 12:26 AM   #49
SoCal_NSX
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gameson View Post
Sorry, i meant the 718 base and 718 S, any different?

oh ok, well I expected the base to be less than the 2.5 GTS I test drove the week earlier of course, but was pleasantly surprised how quick it actually felt....well worth the $30K I saved over the GTS I test drove.

also, the tunes they make for this engine are amazing...60-70hp gain on a stage 1 on some of them for less than a thousand bucks, so if and when I feel like I need more I will probably do an APR tune.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2022, 12:30 AM   #50
SoCal_NSX
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinGS View Post

If my investments continue to grow quickly, it will be a Spyder (love the look of that car). If not, I'd like to squeeze into a Boxster 718 4.0 GTS. If I can't afford that, I'd be more than happy to settle for a 981 GTS.

I've Turo'd a few Boxsters over the years, and I always came away super impressed with its sheer agility and amazing practicality. Since I can't afford the mid-engine Ferrari that I want (the 458), nor does the Ferrari fit my driving profile of piling on miles with my love of longer trips...I think the mid-engine Boxster is for me. And I've become a convertible guy. Something about that al-fresco driving experience does something for my mood and my soul.

I may as well get one sooner than later while I can. And I'll likely just keep it, as driving a small, nimble, convertible sports car will never lose its luster with me.

And really, if I got a PDK, I'd be fine too. Since I drive a lot and all over the place, a manual does grow tiresome for me. So, we'll see. The tranny is TBD, but I'm set on the car...I think.
get it!!!

YOLO is a real thing....at least that's what I keep telling my wife when it comes time for a new toy

seriously, life is short....enjoy it while you can
Appreciate 2
c1pher4545.50
KevinGS3287.00
      08-02-2022, 03:11 AM   #51
gameson
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 320i N20

Quote:
oh ok, well I expected the base to be less than the 2.5 GTS I test drove the week earlier of course, but was pleasantly surprised how quick it actually felt....well worth the $30K I saved over the GTS I test drove.

also, the tunes they make for this engine are amazing...60-70hp gain on a stage 1 on some of them for less than a thousand bucks, so if and when I feel like I need more I will probably do an APR tune.
Well, if you can get 60-70 hp on stage 1, wouldn’t the GTS get similar gain so no matter what, there will be different power due to different engine? Unlike bmw 320i vs 330i which uses the same engine but different tune, the base and the S / GTS is using different displacement engine.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2022, 06:52 AM   #52
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: All of them

Garage List
Quote:

You don’t need to get the Spyder or GTS4.0 to enjoy how special a 718 is. Due to the relatively light weight, the 300hp in the base 718 is plenty especially paired with PDK. Don’t trust the numbers on Porsche website because they always sandbag numbers. 0-60 is more like mid 4 seconds. What you lose out on is a little bit of mid and top end steam which the 4.0 motor has a great bit of. The GTS4.0 really not that much faster. You’re paying for the bigger motor and that flat six sound. Not saying I don’t love my GTS, just saying you don’t need to break the bank to get an awesome 718.
Appreciate 2
KevinGS3287.00
SoCal_NSX2363.00
      08-02-2022, 07:03 AM   #53
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
get it!!!

YOLO is a real thing....at least that's what I keep telling my wife when it comes time for a new toy

seriously, life is short....enjoy it while you can
An event that changed my thinking to some extent is my brother in law passing. He was seven years older and was very frugal to the extent that he passed up on a lot of life fulfilling enjoyment. As he was nearing the end he told me he wished he experienced more things, realizing he wasn’t going to enjoy any of the money he worked so hard to save. Not saying spend it all and forsake retirement, but tuck a bit back for that special vacation, or buy that car if you can swing it if it excites you. One good thing with Porsche in General is they don’t depreciate as fast as most other cars. Of course some of the more rare trims hold value longer or where you read about people driving for free for a few years.
Appreciate 3
KevinGS3287.00
baege1320.50
Dino GT35121.00
      08-02-2022, 07:41 AM   #54
KevinGS
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
You don’t need to get the Spyder or GTS4.0 to enjoy how special a 718 is. Due to the relatively light weight, the 300hp in the base 718 is plenty especially paired with PDK. Don’t trust the numbers on Porsche website because they always sandbag numbers. 0-60 is more like mid 4 seconds. What you lose out on is a little bit of mid and top end steam which the 4.0 motor has a great bit of. The GTS4.0 really not that much faster. You’re paying for the bigger motor and that flat six sound. Not saying I don’t love my GTS, just saying you don’t need to break the bank to get an awesome 718.
Thanks

If I get the 4.0, I'm not buying the 4.0 for more performance. I figure if I'm getting a Boxster, I may as well get the best sounding engine right behind my head, maximizing the emotional experience.

I just love how the Spyder looks, so again, it's adding to the emotion every time I drive it.

But I rented a 981 Boxster S and drive down the PCH from San Fran to LA, and it was one of the best driving experiences of my life. I had so much fun in that little rental Porsche, and it was plenty fast enough for me.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2022, 07:47 AM   #55
KevinGS
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
An event that changed my thinking to some extent is my brother in law passing. He was seven years older and was very frugal to the extent that he passed up on a lot of life fulfilling enjoyment. As he was nearing the end he told me he wished he experienced more things, realizing he wasn’t going to enjoy any of the money he worked so hard to save. Not saying spend it all and forsake retirement, but tuck a bit back for that special vacation, or buy that car if you can swing it if it excites you. One good thing with Porsche in General is they don’t depreciate as fast as most other cars. Of course some of the more rare trims hold value longer or where you read about people driving for free for a few years.
Oh yeah, I'm not saving much money. I'd rather be a poor, old man with a life filled with memorable experiences, than a rich, old man who can barely enjoy life because of health issues or old age. And the younger you are, better are most of life's exciting and thrilling experiences. Age simply tempers the level of fun one usually has. It's just not the same.

For me, as an elder senior citizen, there's a much better chance that I'd regret not doing something at an earlier age when I could have, than being broke and struggling at 80 or 90, if I even get to live that long. I'll go work at Walmart with the other senior citizens if I have to, with my mind filled with memorable moments, if that means I can maximize the enjoyment of my life now.

Life's too short to wait, and none of us are promised tomorrow so...

Last edited by KevinGS; 08-02-2022 at 09:00 AM..
Appreciate 1
baege1320.50
      08-02-2022, 02:30 PM   #56
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks

If I get the 4.0, I'm not buying the 4.0 for more performance. I figure if I'm getting a Boxster, I may as well get the best sounding engine right behind my head, maximizing the emotional experience.

I just love how the Spyder looks, so again, it's adding to the emotion every time I drive it.

But I rented a 981 Boxster S and drive down the PCH from San Fran to LA, and it was one of the best driving experiences of my life. I had so much fun in that little rental Porsche, and it was plenty fast enough for me.
I wish they would offer the Spyder with a Boxster top. While I prefer the looks of the Spyder, the top of the Boxster is just more versatile and easier to live with day to day. If you're just driving on sunny days and leaving the top down, I get it. I like knowing that I can keep driving, up to 40mph, and raise or lower the top. Plus, the insulation on the Boxster top makes it almost car like from a road noise perspective. The other day I was driving the targa when rain unexpectedly started. I had to pull over, but at least didn't have to get out.....that's what I was telling myself lol.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2022, 04:10 PM   #57
KevinGS
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I wish they would offer the Spyder with a Boxster top. While I prefer the looks of the Spyder, the top of the Boxster is just more versatile and easier to live with day to day. If you're just driving on sunny days and leaving the top down, I get it. I like knowing that I can keep driving, up to 40mph, and raise or lower the top. Plus, the insulation on the Boxster top makes it almost car like from a road noise perspective. The other day I was driving the targa when rain unexpectedly started. I had to pull over, but at least didn't have to get out.....that's what I was telling myself lol.
I currently have a hardtop BMW convertible too, an E93. And yes, it's very convenient, and I use the car all year round since it does such a good job insulating me from the element and road noise.

But for the Spyder, I think for most like me the unique humps and fascinating charm of the design trumps the need for function. And I talked to a few guys at Cars and Coffee events who have them, and they showed me how they could complete the whole process top up/down process within 4 minutes. For me, the beauty is worth the manual effort. Basically, when I would drive my Spyder, I'm committed to being "less lazy".

I leave you with one of my favorite quotes: “Beauty is the opposite of perfection – it’s about confidence, charisma, and character.”

And I'd be adding the Spyder to my fun fleet of cars, it wouldn't be a replacement for my E93 (I love that engine too much). So when I'm feeling lazy, I'd just drive my M3 convertible.
Appreciate 0