BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General BMW News and Cars Discussion BMW 7 Battery Life

01-02-2009, 04:07 PM   #1
SaudiAdeeb
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2004 745I

BMW 7 Battery Life

Happy New Year you guys! Anyways, I have a quick question, you see, I travel overseas a lot, therefore I have to leave my 04 745I in the garage for days, and whenever I come back, my car battery is dead. The most my car battery lasts for is one full week, 7 days – is this normal?

I did went to BMW, told them what’s happening, they replaced the battery and told me to turn off the battery switch thingy located at the back, in the truck, so I did, but still, I’m facing the same problem today, the battery runs out after 7 to 9 days. I know this car has a lot of computer gadgets in it, maybe there is some non-functioning in the electric system, I think it’s sucking to much voltage, no? But before I confront BMW, I want to be sure.

So, how long does your car battery usually lasts for? I mean, I have SL 500 as well, I leave that car in the garage for winter, and start it up every 3 weeks or so, it has no problems starting at all. What’s wrong with my bimmer?
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2009, 05:02 PM   #2
Deda
Major General
Croatia
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 comp

thats strange..
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2009, 05:19 PM   #3
Tim2189
Russian in a Bimmer
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 M50i

next time you leave, disconnect the whole battery
2018 X5 40e - retired
2020 X5 M50i - Current
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2009, 05:36 PM   #4
RRGOO7
Colonel
Rep
Drives: GTR

i had an 03 745 and had the same problem. It turned out the lights where you change the seat positions never went out and it kept draining the battery
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2009, 06:44 PM   #5
offthewall
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaudiAdeeb View Post
Happy New Year you guys! Anyways, I have a quick question, you see, I travel overseas a lot, therefore I have to leave my 04 745I in the garage for days, and whenever I come back, my car battery is dead. The most my car battery lasts for is one full week, 7 days – is this normal?

I did went to BMW, told them what’s happening, they replaced the battery and told me to turn off the battery switch thingy located at the back, in the truck, so I did, but still, I’m facing the same problem today, the battery runs out after 7 to 9 days. I know this car has a lot of computer gadgets in it, maybe there is some non-functioning in the electric system, I think it’s sucking to much voltage, no? But before I confront BMW, I want to be sure.

So, how long does your car battery usually lasts for? I mean, I have SL 500 as well, I leave that car in the garage for winter, and start it up every 3 weeks or so, it has no problems starting at all. What’s wrong with my bimmer?
Don't know specifically about the Bimmer, but that seems about right for a modern day automobile. Our RV (a Ford E450) has the same issue. Won't last more than a week or two if left unattended.
2001 VW Passat 4Motion -- Blue/Black
1972 VW Super Beetle Convertible -- Yellow/Black
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2009, 08:52 PM   #6
SaudiAdeeb
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc328ci View Post
next time you leave, disconnect the whole battery
That’s too much of a hassle, disconnecting and reconnecting the battery, I might as well recharge it every time it went down. I mean, this is BMW, I shouldn’t have to do anything. I’m thinking of selling it soon.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2009, 09:00 PM   #7
SaudiAdeeb
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRGOO7 View Post
i had an 03 745 and had the same problem. It turned out the lights where you change the seat positions never went out and it kept draining the battery
Exactly! I thought once I turned off the battery switch located at the side of the truck, it would stop all these fancy lights from going on, but it doesn’t. The seat position light and where you insert the key, the lights away stay on. I even have heard the cd changer switch or read the disks when car is shut off, it’s like the whole car is still alive even when you’re away – how do I turn everything off? It’s really stupid, there has to be a way.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2009, 09:07 PM   #8
SaudiAdeeb
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by offthewall View Post
Don't know specifically about the Bimmer, but that seems about right for a modern day automobile. Our RV (a Ford E450) has the same issue. Won't last more than a week or two if left unattended.
I know that you can't leave the car off for too long, so I always start the engine of my SL every two to three weeks, it never runs out, and it has smaller battery, unlike the 745I. One week is way too low, it’s not acceptable, I mean I had many cars before and I never faced such a problem before. I know I am damaging my 745I by leaving it every week or so, so I can’t stand this anymore, unacceptable.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2009, 01:18 AM   #9
archwerks
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: x6 3.5i VR

BMW batteries are kaput!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaudiAdeeb View Post
I know that you can't leave the car off for too long, so I always start the engine of my SL every two to three weeks, it never runs out, and it has smaller battery, unlike the 745I. One week is way too low, it’s not acceptable, I mean I had many cars before and I never faced such a problem before. I know I am damaging my 745I by leaving it every week or so, so I can’t stand this anymore, unacceptable.
Sorry to hear that u have the same problem as many of us w/ x6's. Check out some of the other bimmer posts. I don't think it's a problem restricted to 7's/ yours or mine(x6 xdrive 35i), but many BMW's may have similar issues with battery or power draw issues.
After this xperience,I for one will never buy an electric/hybrid bmw!
Appreciate 0