BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General BMW News and Cars Discussion BMW M Vision - i8 replacement shelved due to coronavirus, report says

05-03-2020, 07:05 PM   #1
BigT
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: I12 i8 Coupe / I01 i3 120Ah

BMW M Vision - i8 replacement shelved due to coronavirus, report says

https://www.autoblog.com/2020/05/04/...rsion-canceled
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2020, 04:21 AM   #2
frankchn
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

If this is true, I am not surprised. If the M NEXT was targeted at the ~$200k price level, then the competition shifts from Audis and Mercedes to cars like the McLaren 570S/GT, Ferrari Portofino, and Porsche 911 Turbo S/GT3 RS.

It is hard for BMW to make a case as to why a customer shopping for a "special car" should buy the BMW supercar over a 570S or a GT3 RS (or a Tesla Roadster, whenever that comes out), which would be a lot more special.
Appreciate 1
stein_325i25051.00
      05-04-2020, 11:02 AM   #3
ActionDH
Private
Rep
Drives: M5

BMW's Vision M Next-Based i8 Successor Has Been Canceled: Report

https://www.thedrive.com/news/33274/...anceled-report
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2020, 03:30 PM   #4
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

BMW M Vision - i8 replacement shelved due to coronavirus, report says

BMW i8 replacement shelved due to coronavirus, report says

BMW showed the Vision M Next design study that likely previewed the next plug-in sports car.
Sean Szymkowski
May 6, 2020 1:49 p.m. PT

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/b...t-coronavirus/

It's probably best we don't continue learning about vehicle programs canned due to the coronavirus pandemic -- it only strengthens the "what could have been" feelings. But alas, it sounds like a planned BMW i8 successor is now off the table.

According to a report from Germany's Manager Magazin in late April, BMW shelved the replacement as the coronavirus is causing so many companies to conserve cash. Low-selling sports cars typically aren't the best investment at any point, and as the world worries about the global economy's future, a sports car likely got negative reactions within BMW. The report pegs cost as the main reason why the automaker scrapped the program. Of course, we don't know if this is the case, but it likely is.

We likely caught a preview of the next sports car in the form of the Vision M Next design study BMW showed last summer. The wild style looked wedgy, edgy and like a lovely leap forward from the already futuristic i8. A turbocharged inline-four and electric motors worked together to supply 600 horsepower and the machine could drive for 62 miles on electricity alone, making it a plug-in hybrid with a punch. Technology included -- like facial recognition to unlock the car -- was typical of a future-forward concept.

A BMW representative underscored that the Vision M Next was "not a concept car for a specific model but a design study that was shown at various motor shows last year," and declined to comment further on the speculation.

Yet, we'll likely never know what became of an i8 replacement. At least we have numerous other M models to take solace in.
Appreciate 0