BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X2 Forum (F39) BMW X2 (F39) prototype breaks cover!

10-10-2017, 08:11 PM   #331
dmboone25
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2024 Golf R / 2022 718 Spyder

Garage List
2007 E92 328i  [10.00]
2007 328i  [10.00]
Wow - sweet wheels. What are those, 14 or 15’?

Truly inspiring.
JustChris17426.00
      10-10-2017, 09:35 PM   #332
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmboone25 View Post
Wow - sweet wheels. What are those, 14 or 15’?

Truly inspiring.
No doubt... From the looks of it 4 space savers!
Appreciate 1
dmboone254970.50
      10-10-2017, 10:06 PM   #333
Falafel Combo
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 xDrive50i

Put that goddamn camo back on right now!
Appreciate 1
JustChris17426.00
      10-10-2017, 10:09 PM   #334
Falafel Combo
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 xDrive50i

So lemme guess. Batteries not included?
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2017, 11:11 PM   #335
Omar81
Private
Rep
Drives: 220i

What a disappointment. It's awful
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2017, 11:43 PM   #336
brad850csi
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 16 F13 M6 Comp

What exactly is this different about this and what does it achieve when compared to the X1? I honestly don't understand why this exists?
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2017, 12:50 AM   #337
Mr Carrots
Captain
Rep
Drives: Bmw

Wow, I can't believe how strong BMWs line-up is looking with this and the upcoming new FWD 2 series.

Imagine if they gave us the 3 or 5 wagons with decent engines instead of these horrors, the GTs , the x4 and x6 and all the other tasteless abominations they dump on us here :/
Appreciate 1
nozydog465.00
      10-11-2017, 01:28 AM   #338
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCali E36 View Post
Ya, it's nice but the seats are way too small and round like a toilet seat. And it drives like shit. There is nothing BMW about the way it drives.
Exactly my thoughts. My girl drives the E84 and we looked into the new X1 and when I drove it I had the same conclusion.
Seats are small and round, seating is nowhere near the old touring inspired X1 and the driving was at least dissapointing. They got rid of the C pillar entrance cushion too, it looks really really cheap. The E84 is way more luxurious. So we kept the old guy. RWD biased Xdrive and we love it.

This X2 supposed to be a good looking Evoque fighter and we ended up with a crapy design with badges, hood lines and terrible cheap looking plastic all over.

What a dissapointment...

Last edited by Teutonic; 10-11-2017 at 01:37 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2017, 02:30 AM   #339
nozydog
Driver
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2020 X2 M35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracus View Post
Exactly my thoughts. My girl drives the E84 and we looked into the new X1 and when I drove it I had the same conclusion.
Seats are small and round, seating is nowhere near the old touring inspired X1 and the driving was at least dissapointing. They got rid of the C pillar entrance cushion too, it looks really really cheap. The E84 is way more luxurious. So we kept the old guy. RWD biased Xdrive and we love it.

This X2 supposed to be a good looking Evoque fighter and we ended up with a crapy design with badges, hood lines and terrible cheap looking plastic all over.

What a dissapointment...
Interesting what you're saying because CAR magazine (THE authority on cars) say the new X1 is a night & day improvement over the extremely mediocre E84!! I've not driven either, but I certainly think the mkII is the better looking car! And from the road tests I've read it's apparently not bad to drive either, despite the FWD platform!! Amazingly different opinions going on!

Regarding the seats, all BMW seats are crap if you don't spec sports seats!!

Last edited by nozydog; 10-11-2017 at 03:38 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2017, 05:38 AM   #340
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Cool it looks exactly like the concept!

By exactly I mean a terrible interpretation of it.
      10-11-2017, 06:00 AM   #341
Chihuahua
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E30 329iS, E65 Alpina B7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORIGIN M. View Post
It is what happens when a bunch of Germans let several knuckle heads from the business office kill-off the basics of a fun car design just to turn a profit.
I agree; someone needs to vote Buzz Killington off of the board of directors immediately.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2017, 07:10 AM   #342
TunedM2C
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 LBB M2

Zoom Zoom
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2017, 07:55 AM   #343
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

I don't understand what the fuss is with you guys. This thing looks fine once you get past the baby poo color which 1% of X2s will ever be optioned with. It looks mostly like the concept.

My question is where this fits in the market. I'm not sure what it achieves that the X1 isn't doing already.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2017, 09:05 AM   #344
cc3
Major
Rep
Drives: 1M, GT4, M2 M140i G40

BMW turns a reasonable concept into a dud. Could be a Hyundai, Kia , Mazda if you took off badge and grill
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2017, 09:08 AM   #345
SoCali E36
BMW Client Advisor
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 40e/e36 M3 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by nozydog View Post
Quote:

What a dissapointment...
Interesting what you're saying because CAR magazine (THE authority on cars) say the new X1 is a night & day improvement over the extremely mediocre E84!! I've not driven either, but I certainly think the mkII is the better looking car! And from the road tests I've read it's apparently not bad to drive either, despite the FWD platform!! Amazingly different opinions going on!

Sport seat are now standard on the 2/3/4/5/6
      10-11-2017, 10:15 AM   #346
nozydog
Driver
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCali E36 View Post
Sport seat are now standard on the 2/3/4/5/6
Not in the UK, only with sport or M sport trim...
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2017, 10:41 AM   #347
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:

Well, I certainly don’t meed any magazine to tell me what I feel. However, the E84 has the true XDrive with the biased RWD, while the F48 has a FWD Haldex style. I think that this sentence alone gives you the whole picture.
Secondly, the E84 is a 3 Series touring platform, just a little bit higher. That means the seat position is a 3 Series style, a more horizontal position with a better ergonomy.
The F48 is a total different platform that gives you space by puting the seats higher (recte the storage drawers under the seats for example). The new tall terrible shifter will reveal the same aspect, the seats are higher. From here the same impession from everyone that you are seating on the toilet.

The E84 is still more powerful while the new one has less power losing over 20 ponies down the road. The old one also offered a 300 hp machine, while the new one does not.
The old one has a very cool and much better ZF t4ansmission, while the new one settled for a Ainsin. And I can go on and on.

Handling is not as good, the E84 has the very responsive hydraulic steering while the new electric one has no BMW genes.

I do not find the E84 mediocre at all! Actualy, true, I have a fully loaded one and one that was as a display for BMW, however, the materials and fit and finish in E84 are way above the new one. As mentioned before, seats are better, larger with leg support, a more confortable ddriving position. The seats in the back are true, not individual with almost no room for a third person (three people in the rear of X1 is still a challenge anyway bu there is a whole large seating bench) but the new one has no room for that. The element that covers and cushions the transfer between the back seat and C pillar is gone in the new one, which looks very very cheap.
The Panoramic roof cover in the old one is hard and well built with no gaps or anything, the new one is a much simpler cloth that looks really bad (is saggy) and does not close perfectly with the panoramic roof edges.
I can go on and on and on, anyway, the new one doesnt drive anywhere close to the old one.
Funny, we had the new one for a week while waiting for a recall on ours, and my girl which is kind of paralel with these things said two things: looks cheap and drives nowhere near ours.
If you also read all the E84 owners opinions on the forum you will get the same impressions. Many refused to upgrade to the new one deciding to keep the old one. Some bought a used E84 after driving both. In my case, when the time will come, we will replace it with either a 240xi either with the X4. One is Coupe, one is larger for what we need, however, none of us likes the new X1 and If I really want a FWD vehicle with AWD there are choices for less money. I just cant justify the price and while money are not a concern I just don’t like it. I like the exetrior design but everything stops there.

I did not read too much about the new one, my personal opinion is what matters. I just read few minutes ago two articles that I found with a first search and puting aside the exterior design (we love the look of E84) they say the same things. The old one is a better car, with true genes. In one article they are stating that the new one is better becasue it offers more technology, yet I dont know what the heck they are talking about, mine has 18 inch wheels, the dual power seats with memory, the confort access, it has the high beams assistant, the Harman Kardon system, the rain sensors, bluetooth, THX surround and can see movies in it, the whole jazz etc.
Please have a look at these two for example and read about the driving experience and aboutthe interior.

https://www.autotrader.com/car-revie...ference-249361

http://www.carscoops.com/2015/06/201...e84-which.html

Last edited by Teutonic; 10-11-2017 at 11:01 AM..
Appreciate 1
ORIGIN M.3159.50
      10-11-2017, 11:41 AM   #348
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

Quote:
Quote:

Well, I certainly don’t meed any magazine to tell me what I feel. However, the E84 has the true XDrive with the biased RWD, while the F48 has a FWD Haldex style. I think that this sentence alone gives you the whole picture.
Secondly, the E84 is a 3 Series touring platform, just a little bit higher. That means the seat position is a 3 Series style, a more horizontal position with a better ergonomy.
The F48 is a total different platform that gives you space by puting the seats higher (recte the storage drawers under the seats for example). The new tall terrible shifter will reveal the same aspect, the seats are higher. From here the same impession from everyone that you are seating on the toilet.

The E84 is still more powerful while the new one has less power losing over 20 ponies down the road. The old one also offered a 300 hp machine, while the new one does not.
The old one has a very cool and much better ZF t4ansmission, while the new one settled for a Ainsin. And I can go on and on.

Handling is not as good, the E84 has the very responsive hydraulic steering while the new electric one has no BMW genes.

I do not find the E84 mediocre at all! Actualy, true, I have a fully loaded one and one that was as a display for BMW, however, the materials and fit and finish in E84 are way above the new one. As mentioned before, seats are better, larger with leg support, a more confortable ddriving position. The seats in the back are true, not individual with almost no room for a third person (three people in the rear of X1 is still a challenge anyway bu there is a whole large seating bench) but the new one has no room for that. The element that covers and cushions the transfer between the back seat and C pillar is gone in the new one, which looks very very cheap.
The Panoramic roof cover in the old one is hard and well built with no gaps or anything, the new one is a much simpler cloth that looks really bad (is saggy) and does not close perfectly with the panoramic roof edges.
I can go on and on and on, anyway, the new one doesnt drive anywhere close to the old one.
Funny, we had the new one for a week while waiting for a recall on ours, and my girl which is kind of paralel with these things said two things: looks cheap and drives nowhere near ours.
If you also read all the E84 owners opinions on the forum you will get the same impressions. Many refused to upgrade to the new one deciding to keep the old one. Some bought a used E84 after driving both. In my case, when the time will come, we will replace it with either a 240xi either with the X4. One is Coupe, one is larger for what we need, however, none of us likes the new X1 and If I really want a FWD vehicle with AWD there are choices for less money. I just cant justify the price and while money are not a concern I just don’t like it. I like the exetrior design but everything stops there.

I did not read too much about the new one, my personal opinion is what matters. I just read few minutes ago two articles that I found with a first search and puting aside the exterior design (we love the look of E84) they say the same things. The old one is a better car, with true genes. In one article they are stating that the new one is better becasue it offers more technology, yet I dont know what the heck they are talking about, mine has 18 inch wheels, the dual power seats with memory, the confort access, it has the high beams assistant, the Harman Kardon system, the rain sensors, bluetooth, THX surround and can see movies in it, the whole jazz etc.
Please have a look at these two for example and read about the driving experience and aboutthe interior.

https://www.autotrader.com/car-revie...ference-249361

http://www.carscoops.com/2015/06/201...e84-which.html
Truth!
Appreciate 1
Teutonic2706.00
      10-11-2017, 12:06 PM   #349
nozydog
Driver
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Was only saying what a bunch of very experienced experts have said about these cars! I've never actually read any particularly overwhelmingly positive reviews of the older E84 but obviously a lot of people like it! A car is about so much more than its drive orientation though, especially this type of vehicle. Let's face it, if you want a properly sporty drive with flat cornering you don't buy an SUV. Most SUV buyers are looking for practicality, tech & kit which im guessing the new model has plenty of. Personally I'll stick with my F30 6 pot rocket as I don't think I'll ever be in the market for an SUV! I'd have thought the 3 series tourer was the best bet for those seeking more space & practicality AND sporty RWD drive
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2017, 07:41 PM   #350
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Was only saying what a bunch of very experienced experts have said about these cars! I've never actually read any particularly overwhelmingly positive reviews of the older E84 but obviously a lot of people like it! A car is about so much more than its drive orientation though, especially this type of vehicle. Let's face it, if you want a properly sporty drive with flat cornering you don't buy an SUV. Most SUV buyers are looking for practicality, tech & kit which im guessing the new model has plenty of. Personally I'll stick with my F30 6 pot rocket as I don't think I'll ever be in the market for an SUV! I'd have thought the 3 series tourer was the best bet for those seeking more space & practicality AND sporty RWD drive
I think that the whole touring chassis makes the E84 Unique by not being a proper SUV'
I am not trying to bash the new X1, however, that is not a proper BMW and don't see it as one. Sorry.
I don't know about "Experienced Experts" but I think that the owners can see a vehicle better.

have a read

http://www.bmwblog.com/2016/04/03/wi...new-cult-icon/

http://e84.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1384425

http://e84.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=880719

http://e84.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1389470
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2017, 12:45 AM   #351
VTECaddict
Where'd my VTEC go?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330i 6MT

Quote:
I think that the whole touring chassis makes the E84 Unique by not being a proper SUV'
I am not trying to bash the new X1, however, that is not a proper BMW and don't see it as one. Sorry.
I don't know about "Experienced Experts" but I think that the owners can see a vehicle better.

have a read

http://www.bmwblog.com/2016/04/03/wi...new-cult-icon/

http://e84.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1384425

http://e84.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=880719

http://e84.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1389470
On the contrary, owners will be heavily biased towards what they own and BMW fanboys are quick to dismiss anything not RWD based. Outsiders are able to form a more objective opinion about the vehicle.

Ignoring the badge, the F48 is easily the best vehicle in its class. Only BMW faithful say it's a shit car for no other reason than because it's a FWD-based BMW and that's sacrilege. Yes the E84 may out-handle it and may be the better "car" or "wagon", but the F48 is the better compact crossover.
Appreciate 2
nozydog465.00
Destroya371.00
      10-12-2017, 03:01 AM   #352
clbmw
Major
Rep
Drives: 320d M135i

The only way to reverse the trend of progressively more boring, tacky and wrong wheel drive cars is not to buy them.
Appreciate 0