BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X2 Forum (F39) BMW X2 (F39) prototype breaks cover!

10-13-2015, 04:04 PM   #45
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

First, I thought that at least this one, as a sportier model, will walk away from the UKL and keep the RWD Biased X-drive. Obviously, not the case, so BMW, you can keep this one too, another Mini in an expensive tuxedo.

Secondly, we stretched the BMW fingerprint nostrils until they reached the headlamps (not my cup of tea), now we start to slowly wash the shape away, changing the main elements that define a BMW. While others will kill for an unmistakable look, some are washing their personality... Way to go BMW...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-13-2015, 05:41 PM   #46
s0ul
Coder
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 F30 328xi, '16 F82 (soon)

reminds me of this...

Appreciate 0
      10-13-2015, 07:03 PM   #47
Imola.ZHP
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW i3 BEV EE

Quote:
Originally Posted by red-sauerkraut View Post
There will be a Nissan Leaf Crossover EV as well as one from Tesla long before 2020. Tesla is doing a crossover version of the up and coming model 3.
You mean like how the Model X was shown to the public late 2012 and was supposed to start delivering early 2014 but instead was just released a few weeks ago?

We haven't even seen the prototype Model 3, and even though it won't have those stupid doors on the Model X, I would expect an 18-24 month delay from when they show the prototype. So 2017 is pushing it. Here is my guess for Tesla; Model 3 comes out late 2017/ early 2018, it is hugely successful and they focus most of their efforts into ramping up production. The crossover version development gets pushed further behind and comes out late 2020 if not 2021. I hope I am wrong and I hope they sell every vehicle they make.

Not interested in a Nissan anything, but thanks.

The PHEV x1 will work for us just fine, my better half's commute right now is 2.5 miles and might be switching to work from home at the end of next year. Either way, driving on EV only all week won't be a problem even if the EV only range of the PHEV is 20 miles, if driven carefully might even only have to charge on Sunday nights and Thursday nights. Gasoline engine will allow us to take the x1 our of town, not that we can't go in my coded i3 REx, but the i3 doesn't have a spare tire which bothers me if going out of town. The x1 should have more room and be comparable in interior volume to our 2007 CRV EX-L Nav.

Quote:
Originally Posted by matbl View Post
IAA 2017? Isn't that quite late for a new introduction of something based on the current X1?
Agreed, keep in mind how late they released the x4 though, the new generation x3/x4 will be out in just a few years. My guess is that on generation 2 of the x2 and x4 they will be released a year after their counterpart x1 and x3 in the same fashion that all new 3er's and 5er's are released a year ahead of their coupe counterparts 4er's and 6er's.

- 2014 CPO i01 BEV Electronaut Edition Capparis White Tera World, '17-
- 2015 CPO i01 BEV Laurel Grey Tera World, '17-
- 2015 i01 REx Laurel Grey Tera World, '15-'17
- 2003 CPO 330i ZHP Imola Red Build 03/03/03, '06-'15
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2015, 08:50 PM   #48
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imola.ZHP
Quote:
There will be a Nissan Leaf Crossover EV as well as one from Tesla long before 2020. Tesla is doing a crossover version of the up and coming model 3.
You mean like how the Model X was shown to the public late 2012 and was supposed to start delivering early 2014 but instead was just released a few weeks ago?

We haven't even seen the prototype Model 3, and even though it won't have those stupid doors on the Model X, I would expect an 18-24 month delay from when they show the prototype. So 2017 is pushing it. Here is my guess for Tesla; Model 3 comes out late 2017/ early 2018, it is hugely successful and they focus most of their efforts into ramping up production. The crossover version development gets pushed further behind and comes out late 2020 if not 2021. I hope I am wrong and I hope they sell every vehicle they make.

Not interested in a Nissan anything, but thanks.

The PHEV x1 will work for us just fine, my better half's commute right now is 2.5 miles and might be switching to work from home at the end of next year. Either way, driving on EV only all week won't be a problem even if the EV only range of the PHEV is 20 miles, if driven carefully might even only have to charge on Sunday nights and Thursday nights. Gasoline engine will allow us to take the x1 our of town, not that we can't go in my coded i3 REx, but the i3 doesn't have a spare tire which bothers me if going out of town. The x1 should have more room and be comparable in interior volume to our 2007 CRV EX-L Nav.

Quote:
Originally Posted by matbl View Post
IAA 2017? Isn't that quite late for a new introduction of something based on the current X1?
Agreed, keep in mind how late they released the x4 though, the new generation x3/x4 will be out in just a few years. My guess is that on generation 2 of the x2 and x4 they will be released a year after their counterpart x1 and x3 in the same fashion that all new 3er's and 5er's are released a year ahead of their coupe counterparts 4er's and 6er's.
The Leaf SL Premium is a great car.

There will be a new Leaf end of next year and a crossover EV

Search for the Nissan Sway to see the design language.

Nissan aside, the model 3 will shown in March and will be released 18-24 months later depending on how much market tesla wants to lose.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2015, 01:23 AM   #49
ShinySteelRobot
iPhone/iPad Developer
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 650i

Quote:

I would hope it's a great car. However, the huge downside for the driver is that he or she has to be seen driving in a Nissan Leaf.

^^^ In case anyone here is old enough to have seen The Incredible Mr. Limpet.

Quote:
It looks like Nissan is turning over a new leaf.
Although they're going from ugly to kinda bizarre, if the show car is anything to go by.

Last edited by ShinySteelRobot; 10-14-2015 at 01:41 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2015, 04:25 AM   #50
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinySteelRobot
Quote:

I would hope it's a great car. However, the huge downside for the driver is that he or she has to be seen driving in a Nissan Leaf.

[img]
View post on imgur.com
[/img]

^^^ In case anyone here is old enough to have seen The Incredible Mr. Limpet.

Quote:
It looks like Nissan is turning over a new leaf.
Although they're going from ugly to kinda bizarre, if the show car is anything to go by.
To funny!
The robins egg blue is a bit much, but for a part time commuting appliance it's not half bad.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-14-2015, 04:27 AM   #51
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep

Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-14-2015, 01:07 PM   #52
FilipMPower
Second Lieutenant
Serbia
Rep
Drives: Anything with a locking diff

Haldex xDrive = Front wheel drive

Not my type of car, but I sincerely dislike this tendecy of expanding the entry class range. BMW is a premium car manufacturer, not the german toyota.

I'm always happy when I see new models like the M4 GTS or the M2, but this just robs my satisfaction with the BMW group.

Like many others said, these cars water down the brand.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2015, 03:51 PM   #53
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

As mentioned previously the X model Line will grow further and now we have the next model imminent. Intended for China but will be offered for other markets also.
The BMW X1L Seven Seater.
Attached Images

10-14-2015, 04:24 PM   #54
ttimbo
Major
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 25i AW; F20 M135i AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilipMPower

Not my type of car, but I sincerely dislike this tendecy of expanding the entry class range. BMW is a premium car manufacturer, not the german toyota.

I'm always happy when I see new models like the M4 GTS or the M2, but this just robs my satisfaction with the BMW group.

It's been happening for a while, and it isn't just BMW. Audi and MB are also pursuing volume markets previously the preserve of the Japanese, with a wide range of model variants. If you want "exclusive" start your budget at $USD100k+
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2015, 06:52 AM   #55
Matski
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: A slow BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilipMPower View Post

As you say... BMW is a premium car manufacturer, not the german Toyota. - that would be VW.

M2's and M4 GTS's may promote the brand, but they will not support the brand - UKL based entry level vehicles will.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2015, 07:45 PM   #56
JoeyO
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: silver car

Just comparing profiles I like the X1 over the X2. The X2's shape looks too much like a station wagon (aka: estate). The X1 has the shape of a regular SUV which looks like it's ready to have some fun.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2015, 03:19 AM   #57
IcemanNorway
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 F25 2.0D M

Garage List
2015 X3 F25  [0.00]
New version

Next version
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      10-17-2015, 08:44 AM   #58
JoeyO
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: silver car

That sport van is bad ass. Estorial Blue makes it go faster.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2015, 12:44 PM   #59
Ramos
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20 2020 M340

For those who keep asking when the model line expansion (fondly referred to on this forum as "this crap", "BMW is lost", and "this is my last BMW, my next car will be a P car") will end?

The answer is quite obvious, when all the numbers from 1-7 are filled:
We are still missing the following: X7
Up next after that will be: i1, i2, i4, i5, i6 and i7

Unfortunately the one car they will not make is the M8, true M1 successor.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2015, 12:55 PM   #60
B///MWGuy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 xDrive40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
This vehicle is actually smaller than it looks, but appearances can be deceptive to what you think it may be. Yes it is based upon the UKL architecture.
It is completely intelligent to suggest that cars now go the same direction as technology and lifestyle and evolve. This is an entirely new concept for an urban crossover the largest segment in the industry for sales and further growth.

I am excited because once the mainstay of the luxury or premium segment with such niche vehicles they are being brought to the entry and mid-level customer band so we provide further Xcitement and innovation to the segment and customer responsible for the growth of such vehicles.

The new car will launch in production form at the 2017 IAA but we will see it a lot sooner soon enough. The next BMW X3 ushers in the next design phase for BMW X vehicles as soft lines make way for hard edges and angular features.
BMW X design will evolve from the regular car portfolio with its own unique design character bordering on modern, sporty and futuristic.

It all part of the growth of the segment and the evolving character of a BMW SAV which has not only progressed to Sport Activity Coupes. But soon Extended wheelbase seven seat options as well as Urban city crossovers. Allowing a BMW X model in each segment with alternative choice between standard , practical and sport.

Wow thay last pic look too much like MKX of Lincoln.....
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2015, 01:02 PM   #61
hellrotm
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

Cars like this are easy money. Take the X6 for example. A minimal cost to build them along side the X5, on the same assembly line. They mark up the X6 10% over the X5. BMW produced 235,000+ E70 X6 units. You do the math, with the X6 on average selling for $5k premium over X5. There is big money in vehicles like this. Why do you think Mercedes now has an X6 competitor...money.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2015, 01:54 PM   #62
Law
Global Moderator
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 6MT

Garage List
2011.5 BMW M3  [10.00]
2004 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by KGB_123_99 View Post
Could be nice but there is already the X1 in that segment. Seems like BMW is trying to fill in every hole it can find. While that may seem like a good idea, it actually isn't. GM tried this strategy in the late 90s and we all know what they went through.
This.

Its one thing to want to cater to different market segments, but when all the price brackets are filled & overlapped with products with minuscule differentiation, you'll end up with a product line that competes with itself.

E9x M3 Press/Media Archives Thread | S65-based Racing Engines Thread
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2015, 01:59 PM   #63
r3dbimmer89
Major
Rep
Drives: P-Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGB_123_99 View Post
Could be nice but there is already the X1 in that segment. Seems like BMW is trying to fill in every hole it can find. While that may seem like a good idea, it actually isn't. GM tried this strategy in the late 90s and we all know what they went through.
I have thought long and hard about this because I too thought BMW was going in the direction of GM back in the 90s but the difference between GM and BMW is that GM had too many overlapping brands with mediocre badge engineering. A Pontiac Grand Am was almost identical to an Oldsmobile Alero with the same exact customer base. BMW on the other hand is filling a bunch of niche segments with vehicles under just three brands, BMW, Mini, and Rolls-Royce. There is very little overlap being that these brands are all so unique in what they offer. Underneath, the UKL platforms covers both Mini and BMW but attract two totally different customer base. This is why BMW's approach is unique and far different from GM's approach. Besides, BMW is 30 times smaller than what GM was so this is merely to stay as profitable as possible and to not be taken over by a larger firm. From Business 101, we all learned that in order for a company to stay profitable...yearly growth is needed....

BMW is unique in a sense where it is unique in its corporate structure....every other premium automaker has a partner...Audi has VW...Mercedes has Nissan/Renault....Jag/Landrover has Tata....Volvo has the Chinese...etc.....would you guys rather have BMW stick to 6 models and get taken over by a Chinese firm...or launch niche models to stay profitable...

Last edited by r3dbimmer89; 11-06-2015 at 02:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2015, 02:25 PM   #64
Papashawnsky
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X1 28iXDrive

If there's one thing I've learned over the past 5 or so years, its that America loves hatchbacks as long as you call them anything other than a hatchback.
Appreciate 1
      11-06-2015, 02:28 PM   #65
Law
Global Moderator
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 6MT

Garage List
2011.5 BMW M3  [10.00]
2004 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by r3dbimmer89 View Post
I have thought long and hard about this because I too thought BMW was going in the direction of GM back in the 90s but the difference between GM and BMW is that GM had too many overlapping brands with mediocre badge engineering. A Pontiac Grand Am was almost identical to an Oldsmobile Alero with the same exact customer base. BMW on the other hand is filling a bunch of niche segments with vehicles under just three brands, BMW, Mini, and Rolls-Royce. There is very little overlap being that these brands are all so unique in what they offer. Underneath, the UKL platforms covers both Mini and BMW but attract two totally different customer base. This is why BMW's approach is unique and far different from GM's approach. Besides, BMW is 30 times smaller than what GM was so this is merely to stay as profitable as possible and to not be taken over by a larger firm. From Business 101, we all learned that in order for a company to stay profitable...yearly growth is needed....
See, here's the thing though...while BMW's strategy is not (yet) the full-fledged badge engineering of GM such that Mini, Rolls, and BMW cars are still differentiated.
But within the BMW marque itself, the cars overlap in price and customer base, with very minuscule differences. For example, the 328i sedan and the 428i GranCoupe sound like different cars and are advertised as different models, but really, they are one and the same & fulfill the same purpose: a Compact Executive/D-segment vehicle.

E9x M3 Press/Media Archives Thread | S65-based Racing Engines Thread
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2015, 03:19 PM   #66
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJetE90 View Post
Cars like this are easy money. Take the X6 for example. A minimal cost to build them along side the X5, on the same assembly line. They mark up the X6 10% over the X5. BMW produced 235,000+ E70 X6 units. You do the math, with the X6 on average selling for $5k premium over X5. There is big money in vehicles like this. Why do you think Mercedes now has an X6 competitor...money.
It was actually 250,000 units of E71 X6 2008-2014.
The X4 is selling exceptionally well, its replacement arrives in early 2018.
The X2 arrives in 2017.
The new X1 is already a hit since launching in October. Total X1 sales of the E84 topped over 750,000. So it won't be too long before the X1 joins the X3 and X5 in the million units category if sales continue to be strong.
The new X3 brings in a new design language for the X models followed by the X7.
The X7 will be the 7Series of the X models not simply just an extended X5, it will also be offered with the 7er V12.
Discussions for an X8 are underway.
The X family will also offer Li models for certain markets to carry seven passengers.
The X2 will have a sister car in the MINI Countryman Coupe which will replace the PACEMAN. An additional model of the Countryman instead of a new model.
BMW X models give a large majority of total unit sales and profitability.

And this will be continued because of the SUV/Crossover being the worlds best selling segment for the entire industry.