BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) X1 vs X3 contemplating which to get

02-03-2021, 12:47 PM   #1
beemerlover13
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: not sure..

X1 vs X3 contemplating which to get

So I have a '18 X1 msport which has done me good so far. I like that the car is lower than standard SUV's and doesn't feel so "Trucky". I've always been a sedan person until I had a baby and decided to try something a bit different and more cargo space. It hasn't disappointed me, except that when the child seat is rear facing, I can't have a passenger up front as the seat is too close for an average height person to sit in comfortably.

Which brings me to my next question... I currently lease, but was considering purchasing a '19 X3 M40i when my lease is up in September. I'm also contemplating building another X1 which would be a 2022 model probably but with msport suspension.. obviously engine wise the X3 has a lot more power. But space wise how do they compare? Does the X3 m40i handle well? Does it drive like a truck?
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2021, 08:12 PM   #2
NotSooFast
On the Go!
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Just a few!

Space / legroom / headroom -wise both are close if you get an X1 with sliding rear seats.

Just take a stroll down the x3 Member Classifieds and you'll see a common theme for lease transfers. The X3 is not that big inside; even compared to a X1. If you need more space the X5 may be a better bet.

Since you own a x1 try to get a loaner x3 during your next service and it will help you make a decision.
      02-04-2021, 12:42 PM   #3
allwheelsdriven
#onelesssubaru
Rep
Drives: 16 BSM X1 MSport

I have a X1 and got a X3 loaner once and was surprised the interior volume seems about the same.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2021, 03:49 PM   #4
BrianJ
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW F48 X1 xDrive20i Sport B48

BMW is very coy about dimensions in its brochures. I was undecided about X1 (F48) vs X3 and asked BMW for the dimensions. They gave me all sorts of runarounds. Eventually one of the call centre guys referred me to a BMW comparator web site which compares BMWs (not other cars). Guess what? The X1 is slightly larger in passenger space than the X3, except for the rear headroom and the load area where the X3 is bigger. Checkout http://range-comparator.bmwlaunchpad.co.uk/
Appreciate 1
wcs2229170.50
      02-05-2021, 11:11 AM   #5
MJE60
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: BMW G01 xDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianJ View Post
BMW is very coy about dimensions in its brochures. I was undecided about X1 (F48) vs X3 and asked BMW for the dimensions. They gave me all sorts of runarounds. Eventually one of the call centre guys referred me to a BMW comparator web site which compares BMWs (not other cars). Guess what? The X1 is slightly larger in passenger space than the X3, except for the rear headroom and the load area where the X3 is bigger. Checkout http://range-comparator.bmwlaunchpad.co.uk/
A valid point, the X3 is not a materially bigger car internally (neither is the X5). In some respects the X1 is better, 2mm leg room in front and 20mm in the back although this is because the X3 seats are bigger. The X3 has 40mm wider cabin. I drove an x1 for 3 years and getting in and out of the X3 is slightly easier, the door frame is higher. Headroom from seat (in lowest position) is misleading given most people have to crank x1 seat whereas this is not the case in X3, the seat is deeper on X3 and after setting up driving position I doubt x1 headroom is any different. For most drivers the head height from road in x3 is about 70mm higher. Taking all internal dimensions the passenger/cabin space is not bigger on the X1 but neither is it materially smaller. 45 litres less boot/trunk space on the X1is also not materially different.

The big difference is that the X1 cannot mount larger engines and they have to be transverse, so it really is a front wheel (drive) v rear wheel drive v power issue. Front wheel drive cars are popular with manufacturers for a reason, they allow bigger cabins for given chassis size. Another factor, to some and not known to many, may be that most systems in the X3, whether xDrive or safety systems are superior versions (stereo KAFAS in X3 v mono KAFAS in X1). It is perhaps the most frequent gripe in F48 threads ...”why do we only get...” or “why can’t the X1. Many of these are deliberate marketing decisions by BMW, building to different price points. I would be very interested to know BMW profit for X1 v X3. For me the most noticeable differences between cars are the auto gearbox, where the ZF auto in the X3 is significantly faster and smoother. Noise level where X3 has acoustic glass and better noise insulation and finally cabin ambience, where the X3 feels more luxurious but the X1 carries less weight so feels slightly more agile. Finally X1/X2 forum members appear a friendlier bunch, it’s what’s on the inside that counts

Last edited by MJE60; 02-09-2021 at 05:11 AM..
Appreciate 1
wcs2229170.50
      02-05-2021, 09:15 PM   #6
wcs2229
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X1 F48 xDrive28i

I agree with MJE60 as I sat side by side in an X3 and an X1 before buying the X1. Although I could afford the higher X3 price, I decided on the X1 for my needs without spending more. After 2 years, I am still satisfied with my decision, despite various minor gripes.

Most importantly, people should sit in and test drive cars (including family and pets) before buying. You can also rent one before spending your hard-earned $$$ for years to come. If you discover gripes (a common one is no blind spot detection), then spend the extra money to be happy.
Appreciate 1
MJE60678.00
      02-06-2021, 07:12 PM   #7
SpeedBuggy
Comfortably Numb
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 x1/'13 X3/'06 330i

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i   [0.00]
We have both an 18 x1 and an 13 x3,we also have a grandson and hence the baby seat delema. We use a Chicco car seat with base.

l would tell you that we still have to move the passenger seat forward quite a bit in the x3 to get the car seat in. Not quite as far forward as in the x1 but enough that I am not comfortable sitting in the passenger seat in the x3 with the car seat in. Not sure on the new generation of x3 if there is more room or not.

I would be in agreement that you need to take the x3 out for a test drive and throw the car seat in at the same time. Tell the dealer you want to try it out for a couple of hours. Put everyone in the car along with the little one and see what the comfort level is.

I know driving both models, there is more room in the hatch area in the x3.

If your open to suggestions, I know this is a BMW forum, but my daughter has a Subaru Outback and it's loaded with room. She has the car seat with base and plenty of room on the passenger side. Also, I believe it has as much room in the back as an x5
Appreciate 1
wcs2229170.50