BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition Weight Loss, now to firm up and build muscle

03-01-2012, 08:56 AM   #1
Brennan
'The Godfather'
No_Country
Rep
Drives: SAAB 9-3 Aero TTiD

Weight Loss, now to firm up and build muscle

Ok guys,to be honest im new to the fitness world.

Im a 22 year old male, used to be a very big guy, and in the past year and a half, i have literally lost half my body weight - i now weigh 11.5st. Now since this happened over a relatively quick period of time through cardio and majorly reducing what i eat, i have been left with some saggy skin, particulary in my chest and stomach area. Obviously this affects my confidence greatly so i really need to do something about this, i really dont want to go down the surgery route but i know i can do some work to make things naturally better.

So ive decided to join the gym, i would really appreciate it if you guys could advise me on some routines to help my 'problem areas'. I know im never going to be perfect, but i know that working out can only help me, ive been doing some research and have read that building muscle over these areas can help reduce sagging skin, and having youth on my side help the elasticity of my skin.

So yeah, please help guys. Im feel like im taking a total stab in the darkness at this, i really dont have the first idea about how to go about this. I need advice on how to build muscle in these areas and just firm everything up

Any advice is appreciated, cheers in advance.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2012, 10:15 AM   #2
ruscoupe
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 z4 3.0si Coupe

Garage List
This isn't going to do you much good now, but if you'd asked me a year and half ago I would have strongly recommended you to begin exercising at the same time you focused on your weight loss. Quite honestly, I'm not sure how you get rid of as much extra skin as you sound like you're talking about. Not my area of expertise. Since one of my favorite sayings is that there isn't any shame in saying "I don't know", I think now would be a good time to live by the rule. Good luck though.

But I am curious. How exactly did you lose that much weight that fast that it left loose skin? Was it a generally accepted safe way to do it or some "water only" kind of thing?

Rus
      03-01-2012, 02:21 PM   #3
RambleJ
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F10 535i M-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruscoupe View Post
This isn't going to do you much good now, but if you'd asked me a year and half ago I would have strongly recommended you to begin exercising at the same time you focused on your weight loss. Quite honestly, I'm not sure how you get rid of as much extra skin as you sound like you're talking about. Not my area of expertise. Since one of my favorite sayings is that there isn't any shame in saying "I don't know", I think now would be a good time to live by the rule. Good luck though.

But I am curious. How exactly did you lose that much weight that fast that it left loose skin? Was it a generally accepted safe way to do it or some "water only" kind of thing?

Rus
The only way that I know of when people lose weight at that pace is due to a lap band or surgery of some sort. Usually when that is the case,surgery is done to remove the excess skin from such a rapid weight loss.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2012, 03:07 PM   #4
smokinHawk
623lb puller
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 340I XDrive MT Black

i have had a few friends that have lost half their body weight or close that have loose skin like you talk about, also neither had the lap band surgery, just diet change.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2012, 03:16 PM   #5
RambleJ
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F10 535i M-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokinHawk View Post
i have had a few friends that have lost half their body weight or close that have loose skin like you talk about, also neither had the lap band surgery, just diet change.
In only a year and a halfs time as well?
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2012, 03:23 PM   #6
Brennan
'The Godfather'
No_Country
Rep

As i said i dont want to go the surgery route as it is very expensive to go privately, i really couldnt afford it and i dont think i would get this treatment on the national health service.

I really just need to do plenty of stomach and chest exercises to firm everything up, but i need to be told which particular ones to do as i really dont have a clue where to begin.

There must be some sort of gym coach or person who knows their stuff on here.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2012, 06:39 PM   #7
EngineCo52
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Montego 328xi CPE

it depends on how much excess skin you have that needs to be tightened up
a pic might help (no homo)

there is nothing that is going to make your skin tighten up any faster then what its going to, the best thing to do is cardio (i know it sucks) but thats the best way to tighten everything up besides surgery, and built in with your cardio is weight training you should do something more intense as in no rest or very minimal rest inbetween sets, and different excercises.

i know there is skin tightening lotion that ive heard of women using after a pregnancy to help tighten up the skin around their bellys, but idk if that works or not

E9x Picture Game-8 Points-Roundabout, Something Remarkable(stack of 50 g's), Cruise Memorabilia, Dirt Road w/ Trees, Michael Jackson, Police Station ,Dress-Up Funny, TPMS
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2012, 06:59 PM   #8
smokinHawk
623lb puller
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 340I XDrive MT Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by RambleJ View Post
In only a year and a halfs time as well?
yes it was a very short time as well like a year to year in a half, amazing what they did as they where very determined
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2012, 07:19 PM   #9
baarii
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: ..

Insanity!
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2012, 07:32 PM   #10
aarwilli
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 335i Coupe

Dude that's awesome you have lost so much! Get under the bar and start squatting and dead lifting. If you want to really build muscle drink a gallon of milk a day. You will gain some fat with this method true, sounds like you know how to take that back off fairly easily, but the mass gains from that are ridiculous! People will literally link your on steroids. As Rip says, "you are a baby lamb until your not so eat like one"
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2012, 07:51 PM   #11
Nugget
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G81 M3 Touring, GR Supra GTS

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [10.00]
I'd do a simple weights routine doing the fundamental lifts, something like the 5x5 workout
There are only two different routines made of 5 different exercises.

Workout A
Squat 5x5
Bench Press 5x5
Barbell Rows 5x5

Workout B
Squat 5x5
Overhead Press 5x5
Deadlift 1x5

Alternate between those 3 or 4 times a week and try to increase weights every time.
Simple and effective.

Just make sure to get some help with getting the form correct to begin with. Very important.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2012, 07:57 PM   #12
Brennan
'The Godfather'
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EngineCo52 View Post
it depends on how much excess skin you have that needs to be tightened up
a pic might help (no homo)

there is nothing that is going to make your skin tighten up any faster then what its going to, the best thing to do is cardio (i know it sucks) but thats the best way to tighten everything up besides surgery, and built in with your cardio is weight training you should do something more intense as in no rest or very minimal rest inbetween sets, and different excercises.

i know there is skin tightening lotion that ive heard of women using after a pregnancy to help tighten up the skin around their bellys, but idk if that works or not
Cardio was how i lost all the weight dude, i dont think i need to loose much more, maybe another 5lbs, i basically want to stay at around that weight and build the muscle onto myself. Weight training is a must as i want to build muscle on my arms and chest, then for my stomach do situps - but i really need to speak to someone in regards to what weights to start off with, as i am all new to this i really dont know where to start.

Heard of that cream but i'd be a bit dubious to whether it works or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aarwilli View Post
Dude that's awesome you have lost so much! Get under the bar and start squatting and dead lifting. If you want to really build muscle drink a gallon of milk a day. You will gain some fat with this method true, sounds like you know how to take that back off fairly easily, but the mass gains from that are ridiculous! People will literally link your on steroids. As Rip says, "you are a baby lamb until your not so eat like one"
Thanks man, Heard of this squatting, what would that do for me? Im so dedicated in sorting myself out, i feel that the weight loss was the first step, now the final step is to fill myself out with muscle and get into some sort of regular shape.

Would it be best for me to basically go on a 'protein diet' while im doing this muscle building? I was considering steroids at one stage, I know a couple of guys who used to be a bit pudgy, they went with a personal trainer and now they are huge, but it is all muscle, Everyone reckons they're on the roids. I would love to get myself into their shape.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2012, 08:39 PM   #13
EngineCo52
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZZ View Post
Cardio was how i lost all the weight dude, i dont think i need to loose much more, maybe another 5lbs, i basically want to stay at around that weight and build the muscle onto myself. Weight training is a must as i want to build muscle on my arms and chest, then for my stomach do situps - but i really need to speak to someone in regards to what weights to start off with, as i am all new to this i really dont know where to start.

Heard of that cream but i'd be a bit dubious to whether it works or not.
yeah i know what you mean...the thing is everyone is different where they start off at with weights...if you want to build up muscle, you want to take in about 1gram of protien per pound that you weigh, ie 200lbs=200g protien and if you feel ur gettting constipated take a fiber pill will help with the digestive track...you want to do higher weights low reps, 6-8 reps per set, do a lot of push ups, using dumbells, or something that lifts your hands off the ground (gets you much better range of motion), and do different types of push ups, normal, wide, decline, (just search different types) pull ups is great, they will be extremly hard at first, but do as many as you can, and use a chair to slighly asst you in pulling out more...i can gladly put together a workout for you if you want, just let me know how many days u wanna work out or you do work out

E9x Picture Game-8 Points-Roundabout, Something Remarkable(stack of 50 g's), Cruise Memorabilia, Dirt Road w/ Trees, Michael Jackson, Police Station ,Dress-Up Funny, TPMS
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2012, 08:51 PM   #14
Erie Von Otto
DT///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F31 Touring

Garage List
The Men's Health Big Book of Exercises has a ton of exercises and routines that you can use to get the results youre looking for. It helped me come up with many ideas and has helped me get into much much better shape. click here: amazon

And Check out www.Bodybuilding.com that site is amazing. You can see a bunch of stories that are similar to yours and find out what they did to get on track. I spend a few hours a week on that site reading articles and success stories. Very educational and motivating.

Excellent job OP! Keep up the good work. Its a long road and with dedication, discipline, and positive energy youll achieve your goal.

You are doing it right. Stay motivated and keep us informed of your progress. You will get there!
      03-01-2012, 09:20 PM   #15
Brennan
'The Godfather'
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EngineCo52 View Post
yeah i know what you mean...the thing is everyone is different where they start off at with weights...if you want to build up muscle, you want to take in about 1gram of protien per pound that you weigh, ie 200lbs=200g protien and if you feel ur gettting constipated take a fiber pill will help with the digestive track...you want to do higher weights low reps, 6-8 reps per set, do a lot of push ups, using dumbells, or something that lifts your hands off the ground (gets you much better range of motion), and do different types of push ups, normal, wide, decline, (just search different types) pull ups is great, they will be extremly hard at first, but do as many as you can, and use a chair to slighly asst you in pulling out more...i can gladly put together a workout for you if you want, just let me know how many days u wanna work out or you do work out
Thanks mate, the protein you are talking about, do you mean the protein shakes or is it protein tablets you would recommend? I currently weigh 161lbs so that would be 161g of protein i would have to take? Forgive my ignorance, as i really dont know the first thing about working out, this is all a learning curve for me. I will google the different types of push ups, i hear there are some really great videos on youtube to show me how to do each work out. I do 30-45mins of cardio most days on the treadmill to keep myself at the weight i am, but i am going to change this to doing the cardio every day of the week, im sure as you can tell im scared of putting on a pound of fat.

I would appreciate it so much if you could put together something for me that i could follow. My aim is to notice a good change in myself by the summer and i will do work out every day of the week if thats what it takes, i really am so dedicated. The way i see it is that I am not going to be young forever and i dont want to waste the most of my young years being unhappy with myself when all i want is just to be the same as my mates. I want to give myself the best opportunity to be successful in everything that i do and i am prepared to do anything it takes to achieve that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottoblotto View Post
The Men's Health Big Book of Exercises has a ton of exercises and routines that you can use to get the results youre looking for. It helped me come up with many ideas and has helped me get into much much better shape. click here: amazon

And Check out www.Bodybuilding.com that site is amazing. You can see a bunch of stories that are similar to yours and find out what they did to get on track. I spend a few hours a week on that site reading articles and success stories. Very educational and motivating.

Excellent job OP! Keep up the good work. Its a long road and with dedication, discipline, and positive energy youll achieve your goal.

You are doing it right. Stay motivated and keep us informed of your progress. You will get there!
Thanks man, I'll take a look at both the book and the website, i was just worried that sites like that body building one where just all about guys with huge abs and ripped bodies, not about real people like myself who have went through substancial weight loss and just want to get their bodies into something that looks normal.

Also can i just say that i feel so humbled with these replies and that you guys have taken time to advise me. I used to think that this was just a car site, but the longer that i stay on here im realising that its actually a community of kind people who have been brought together by one common interest but are willing to help and advise you on just about anything, so yeah thanks guys

I have a personal trainer's business card in my wallet and i am going to give him a call tomorrow and get something sorted for him to help me. Its basically now or never, i need to do this for myself more than anything.

Last edited by Brennan; 03-01-2012 at 09:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2012, 09:43 PM   #16
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

Quote:
I know a couple of guys who used to be a bit pudgy, they went with a personal trainer and now they are huge, but it is all muscle
Hit them up, see what they have to say. It won't be as good as your own trainer but I bet they'd share info, maybe a lot.

You mentioned belly, I do a pilates class twice a week. Find one and get into it for a few sessions and you'll learn very quickly what exercises target what - upper abs, lower abs, obliques, etc. And you don't have to have weights or go to a gym, once you know what to do you can do it at home. Just drop to the floor and go.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2012, 10:34 PM   #17
EngineCo52
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks mate, the protein you are talking about, do you mean the protein shakes or is it protein tablets you would recommend? I currently weigh 161lbs so that would be 161g of protein i would have to take? Forgive my ignorance, as i really dont know the first thing about working out, this is all a learning curve for me. I will google the different types of push ups, i hear there are some really great videos on youtube to show me how to do each work out. I do 30-45mins of cardio most days on the treadmill to keep myself at the weight i am, but i am going to change this to doing the cardio every day of the week, im sure as you can tell im scared of putting on a pound of fat.

I would appreciate it so much if you could put together something for me that i could follow. My aim is to notice a good change in myself by the summer and i will do work out every day of the week if thats what it takes, i really am so dedicated. The way i see it is that I am not going to be young forever and i dont want to waste the most of my young years being unhappy with myself when all i want is just to be the same as my mates. I want to give myself the best opportunity to be successful in everything that i do and i am prepared to do anything it takes to achieve that.
yeah i will send you something, ill put something together for you while im at work lol i love my job

Appreciate 0
      03-02-2012, 01:47 AM   #18
gun6slinger9
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 428xi

First off congratulations on your weight loss it's admirable knowing the dedication you must have had to lose around 150 pounds in 18 months. The protein intake means total protein ingested, you'll need to calculate the amount of protein that is in your food and add it with your supplements. IMO steroids are never worth it, natural will be slower but more fulfilling and no dangerous side effects. You're best bet will be starting out with the beginner compound lifts to start building muscle (squats, deadlifts, benchpress) all of these will have tutorial videos on youtube. However read through the comments on these videos as well as many people do the exercises wrong. Once you have a good idea on how to do these lifts safely start light and ask someone to make sure your form is correct. In a previous post someone posted the Stronglifts 5x5 workout, this would be a good place for you to start and it is a free program. Make sure you start at the lowest weight that they recommend, it sucks at first to have these tiny little weights on the bar but you'll plateau much less if you start light.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2012, 09:28 AM   #19
ruscoupe
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 z4 3.0si Coupe

Garage List
I'd think that this has already occurred to you and you've followed up on it, but I just Googled "how to lose loose skin after weight loss" and all of the sites (I only perused the legit sounding ones) seemed to share the same general advice. I think it would do you well to look up some of this information and see what these people say.

Doesn't sound like it's going to be a quick, easy fix but I'm sure you're not expecting it to happen overnight. On the upside, you'll see nobody recommends extensive hardcore weight training, and nobody is recommending steroids either. Personally, I'd suggest if you speak to anyone that even starts to recommend steroids I'd turn and run.

Good luck,
Rus
      03-02-2012, 10:13 PM   #20
Brennan
'The Godfather'
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruscoupe View Post

Doesn't sound like it's going to be a quick, easy fix but I'm sure you're not expecting it to happen overnight. On the upside, you'll see nobody recommends extensive hardcore weight training, and nobody is recommending steroids either. Personally, I'd suggest if you speak to anyone that even starts to recommend steroids I'd turn and run.

Good luck,
Rus
If you want something so bad, believe me you will be prepared to go to any lengths it takes to achieve it.

In my personal opinion, there are worse things to be taking out there.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2012, 10:15 PM   #21
Brennan
'The Godfather'
No_Country
Rep

Ok so spoke to the personal trainer yesterday evening and hes going to call me tomorrow to organise a one on one with him this week sometime

Will keep you posted
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2012, 06:05 PM   #22
Brennan
'The Godfather'
No_Country
Rep

Went to the personal trainer today for my first session, it was really good, did a lot of different exercises and it was tough, but i expected it to be tough, my arm muscles started burning like mad on some exercises, but you know that if you dont feel the burning then its not working.

Being an amature and not being used to this sort of work out, i did very well. I have to send my current diet to him for him to check it and make a new one for me, so i will be doing this in the next couple of days.

I also did stomach crunches with him, and hes taught me a couple of these excercises to do at home

He also recommended protein shakes to me, he told me that they would really help but what i was wondering was, i plan to go once a week for this weight training, will this be enough to build muscle. I also plan to take these protein shakes but i hope that once a week training is enough to put that protein to good use, the last thing i want to be doing is letting the protein put fat on me.
Appreciate 0