BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Replacement for 2016 X1 - Suggestions?

09-23-2021, 03:08 PM   #1
JimmyMc
Rep
Drives: 2016 X1

Replacement for 2016 X1 - Suggestions?

I'm planning to replace my 2016 X1 with a new SUV shortly. This was my third BMW X1, but I've been the most disappointed with this version.

My two biggest gripes have been:

1. Lack of cupholders. I know it sounds trivial, but I use this car for "road trips" around the midwest and south, and this has been a continual problem.

2. Noise. I have found the 2016 very noisy on the highway. It's likely somehow part of the "run-flat" tires (which I mostly hate) but it overall just has seemed very noisy.

I seriously doubt that a redesigned 2022 X1 will be any less noisy. Any ideas?
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2021, 05:26 PM   #2
CnSky
Major
Ireland
Rep
Drives: BMW 530E 2017

If they are the only reasons your changing then you could solve both problems very cheaply. On the other hand if your changing due car age and you want a new vehicle then ignore below.

The front wheel arch liners can be sound proofed by professionals for under $500 and according to others that have done this it makes as huge difference, the wheel arch liners not having proper sound proofing behind them is where that highway noise comes from.

https://m.facebook.com/mahihisoundpr...30415730311227

https://www.nkgroup.co.uk/fitting-guides/bmw-2/bmw-x1/

https://www.carousell.sg/p/bmw-x1-4-...ng-1030774282/

As for cup holders what exactly is the problem your experiencing? You have two in centre console, two in rear armrest and the doors can hold bottles. Do you need more than that or are they not large enough? You could try an extra vent mounted one.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2021, 08:28 PM   #3
jrveron
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 m40i

OMG! You just added another item to my DIY list, hahaha!

I didn't know it was possible to isolate the front wheel's arch, but I will definitely do it sometime. It also looks easier than the rear wheels and the trunk. I installed my rear camera, and it was a pain to disassemble and reassemble everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CnSky View Post
If they are the only reasons your changing then you could solve both problems very cheaply. On the other hand if your changing due car age and you want a new vehicle then ignore below.

The front wheel arch liners can be sound proofed by professionals for under $500 and according to others that have done this it makes as huge difference, the wheel arch liners not having proper sound proofing behind them is where that highway noise comes from.

https://m.facebook.com/mahihisoundpr...30415730311227

https://www.nkgroup.co.uk/fitting-guides/bmw-2/bmw-x1/

https://www.carousell.sg/p/bmw-x1-4-...ng-1030774282/

As for cup holders what exactly is the problem your experiencing? You have two in centre console, two in rear armrest and the doors can hold bottles. Do you need more than that or are they not large enough? You could try an extra vent mounted one.
      09-24-2021, 07:57 AM   #4
CnSky
Major
Ireland
Rep

I'm tempted to do it on my wife's X1 but keep putting it off as I rarely drive it and see she is immune to the road noise.

The kits you can buy seem good value for self install and are more than just the wheel arches but it's definitely the main source of noise.

The motorway road noise is my only issue in her 2016 X1 m sport we have had since new if I'm honest. (And a single annoying rattle in the B pillar I'm tracking this weekend to keep me busy)

I tried non RFTs and not much of a difference in road noise.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2021, 09:36 AM   #5
jrveron
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 m40i

I also have a rattling on the B pillar, passenger side. Mine started after installing the rear camera, so I believe I didn't adjust everything as well as I thought, no matter how perfectionist I am. Now I'm tempted to buy new clips and replace them all.

For the noise isolation, I'm going to buy the 'raw' material, you know, some pieces of Dynamat or similar and do a custom job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CnSky View Post
I'm tempted to do it on my wife's X1 but keep putting it off as I rarely drive it and see she is immune to the road noise.

The kits you can buy seem good value for self install and are more than just the wheel arches but it's definitely the main source of noise.

The motorway road noise is my only issue in her 2016 X1 m sport we have had since new if I'm honest. (And a single annoying rattle in the B pillar I'm tracking this weekend to keep me busy)

I tried non RFTs and not much of a difference in road noise.
      09-24-2021, 05:44 PM   #6
CnSky
Major
Ireland
Rep

Will let you know if I find the source it's a rattle right at my ear and a buzz also sometimes.

Bought a stethoscope to identify where it is.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2021, 09:33 PM   #7
ventjock
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

GF just leased a 2021 Mazda CX-5 Grand touring reserve. The road noise is so much better compared to the X1, much more comfortable ride and no run-flats. If I was sticking to a small SUV, this would be my next one.
      09-25-2021, 11:57 PM   #8
CnSky
Major
Ireland
Rep

So solved the rattle that seemed to be from the B pillar by my ear by thoroughly cleaning all seal using baby water wipes, drying with a micro fibre cloth and applying copious amounts of gummi pflenge to any seal I could see on the doors and door areas.

On the lower door trim outer moulding on our M sport I noticed they were loose at the rear of the door so took out the retaining screw and put double sided clear tape just at the rear edge and replaced screw.

Also moved the door lock strikes in a mm or two on all 4 doors both sides and the noise is gone.

Only noise left in the car is a very low buzzing that's been there since new in the passenger door just below the arm rest which I can recreate by banging the door with my fist and occurs on rough road surfaces, will remove the door card and try figure that one out maybe tomorrow if I have time but it's so low in volume that it can't be heard unless the radio is switched off completely and never increases in tone with speed to surface so isn't that annoying in general.

QUOTE=CnSky;28071738]Will let you know if I find the source it's a rattle right at my ear and a buzz also sometimes.

Bought a stethoscope to identify where it is.[/QUOTE]
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2021, 08:46 AM   #9
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
Originally Posted by ventjock View Post
GF just leased a 2021 Mazda CX-5 Grand touring reserve. The road noise is so much better compared to the X1, much more comfortable ride and no run-flats. If I was sticking to a small SUV, this would be my next one.
The new CX-5 Signature all wheel is a respectable car, fully equipped runs about $10K less than an Msport X1 and it comes in at a 6.1 0-60 time vs the X1's 5.7. Not sure anyone will ever notice the .4 delta. The X1 has more cargo space BUT if you stuff a donut spare under the cargo cover along with a jack, tire changing tools, etc then they become pretty close in their cargo carrying ability. As you pointed out, you won't be limited with run flat tire options either cause the CX-5 isn't forcing them on you.

I'm not knocking BMW, been driving them for many years but they and their dealerships have gone downhill in terms of customer care from my experience which is causing me to look elsewhere. Not having even looked at other brands in a loooong time, I was impressed with the CX-5 for a small around town runabout that could also carry stuff when going to Lowes/Home Depot.
Appreciate 0