BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Winter tyres and rims

09-22-2021, 08:07 AM   #1
hitmankvt
Enlisted Member
Luxembourg
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 (2020) F48 X-Line

Winter tyres and rims

Hi all,

I am looking to install winter tyres for the first time and need some guidance on a few things (probably very basic as well).

1) Should I buy winter tyres + new rims, or just get winter tyres and install them on the existing rims (579 Y spoke). Pictures attached.

2) Is there any merit in getting this change done at the BMW dealership or is it okay to explore local dealers as well?

3) Any recommendations on which tyres (brand and type) to go for? I live in Luxembourg where we do not have much snow; but I could travel to places like Austria/Switzerland this winter on vacation.

4) Is there anything else that I should keep in mind?

Looking forward to your feedback and inputs!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-22-2021, 10:49 AM   #2
oakey46
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 2 A/T 220i Lux Auto 1.5

I have a BMW dealer supplied set of Pirelli SottoZero3 205/60x17 winter tyres + BMW wheels and have found them excellent during cold weather. Apparently, when the outside temperature falls below 7c the rubber compound used in summer tyres becomes harder and they have less grip capability in both dry and wet conditions. They are also prone to wear more quickly. The winter tyres have a greater rubber content, which keeps them more flexible and longer lasting at these lower temperatures. I understand they are also better in wet, as well as wintry weather. I do swap back to summer tyres around late March, or earlier if temperatures rise.
An added benefit is that the 17" wheels give an improved ride, no doubt due to the deeper sidewalls.
I had considered fitting all-season tyres, but my BMW Owners Handbook specifically states:
'For operation on wintry carriageways, winter tyres are recommended. Although so-called all-season tyres with an M+S label have better winter characteristics than summer tyres, they do not normally match the performance of winter tyres'
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2021, 07:02 AM   #3
hitmankvt
Enlisted Member
Luxembourg
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakey46 View Post
I have a BMW dealer supplied set of Pirelli SottoZero3 205/60x17 winter tyres + BMW wheels and have found them excellent during cold weather. Apparently, when the outside temperature falls below 7c the rubber compound used in summer tyres becomes harder and they have less grip capability in both dry and wet conditions. They are also prone to wear more quickly. The winter tyres have a greater rubber content, which keeps them more flexible and longer lasting at these lower temperatures. I understand they are also better in wet, as well as wintry weather. I do swap back to summer tyres around late March, or earlier if temperatures rise.
An added benefit is that the 17" wheels give an improved ride, no doubt due to the deeper sidewalls.
I had considered fitting all-season tyres, but my BMW Owners Handbook specifically states:
'For operation on wintry carriageways, winter tyres are recommended. Although so-called all-season tyres with an M+S label have better winter characteristics than summer tyres, they do not normally match the performance of winter tyres'
Thanks!

I have heard that BMW can void warranty if you do not use recommended tyres. Is that true?

Where can I see which (1) tyre brand and (2) tyre size should I use? One of the tyre shops I went to for a quote showed me the "star" sign on my summer tyres and mentioned this means it is a BMW approved tyre (have Continental Premium Contact 6 on currently).

In EU, the 'certificate of conformity' has a section on tyres sizes, but I am unclear on wether these are for summer or winter or both. I am guessing both, but just want to be 200% sure.

Also, how can I check compatibility of tyres with the wheels? I have the 579 Y wheel which came standard with my X-Line.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2021, 08:17 PM   #4
jrveron
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 m40i

You can check the OEM info here: https://www.wheel-size.com/size/bmw/...ve20i-eudm-189. I attached an extract from that site.

Apparently, you have 3 options:
  • 205/60R17 93H tire, on a 6.5Jx17 ET39 wheel.
  • 225/55R17 97H tire, on a 7.5Jx17 ET52 wheel.
  • 225/50R18 95H tire, on a 7.5Jx18 ET51 wheel.

You currently have a 225/50R18 tire, so if you want to keep the same wheels, you need to go with the same tire, but of course, one for winter. The downside of this approach (i.e., having the same wheel for summer and winter tires) is that you need to re-install the correct tire multiple times, so:
  1. you may damage the tires.
  2. what about if you want to go on vacation to Switzerland (snow weather) while summer on Lux? hahaha.
It sounds like a lot of effort and money wasted.

If you can buy a set of new wheels and tires for winter, I believe it's the best approach. As oakey46 mentioned, I also think the 205/60R17 is the best option. A higher tire wall may work better with deeper snow.

On the other hand, installing the wheels/tires with BMW will be more expensive because you need to buy them the wheels/tires, at least that's how it works here. So, I bought and installed the wheels/tires somewhere else and went to BMW only for alignment. I found that BMW is better for that, again, at least here in Mexico.

Finally, indeed, the star in the tire means BMW approved it. I never heard about a warranty issue for using another tire; however, I don't know how it works in the EU.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitmankvt View Post
Thanks!

I have heard that BMW can void warranty if you do not use recommended tyres. Is that true?

Where can I see which (1) tyre brand and (2) tyre size should I use? One of the tyre shops I went to for a quote showed me the "star" sign on my summer tyres and mentioned this means it is a BMW approved tyre (have Continental Premium Contact 6 on currently).

In EU, the 'certificate of conformity' has a section on tyres sizes, but I am unclear on wether these are for summer or winter or both. I am guessing both, but just want to be 200% sure.

Also, how can I check compatibility of tyres with the wheels? I have the 579 Y wheel which came standard with my X-Line.
Attached Images

09-27-2021, 01:54 PM   #5
Wadadli Cooler
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 xdrive25d Msport F48

I would highly recommend Goodyear Vector 4 Season Gen II tyres. I've covered about 30,000 miles over the last 4 years. Really good grip in all conditions. No need to buy additional wheels and tyres and mess about swapping them over. Last winter I towed another car up a 1:4 hill covered in compacted snow. Car didn't break traction. Handled it with ease. Gen III are out now, which should be even better?
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2021, 07:24 AM   #6
hitmankvt
Enlisted Member
Luxembourg
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrveron View Post
You can check the OEM info here: https://www.wheel-size.com/size/bmw/...ve20i-eudm-189. I attached an extract from that site.

Apparently, you have 3 options:
  • 205/60R17 93H tire, on a 6.5Jx17 ET39 wheel.
  • 225/55R17 97H tire, on a 7.5Jx17 ET52 wheel.
  • 225/50R18 95H tire, on a 7.5Jx18 ET51 wheel.

You currently have a 225/50R18 tire, so if you want to keep the same wheels, you need to go with the same tire, but of course, one for winter. The downside of this approach (i.e., having the same wheel for summer and winter tires) is that you need to re-install the correct tire multiple times, so:
  1. you may damage the tires.
  2. what about if you want to go on vacation to Switzerland (snow weather) while summer on Lux? hahaha.
It sounds like a lot of effort and money wasted.

If you can buy a set of new wheels and tires for winter, I believe it's the best approach. As oakey46 mentioned, I also think the 205/60R17 is the best option. A higher tire wall may work better with deeper snow.

On the other hand, installing the wheels/tires with BMW will be more expensive because you need to buy them the wheels/tires, at least that's how it works here. So, I bought and installed the wheels/tires somewhere else and went to BMW only for alignment. I found that BMW is better for that, again, at least here in Mexico.

Finally, indeed, the star in the tire means BMW approved it. I never heard about a warranty issue for using another tire; however, I don't know how it works in the EU.

Quote:
Thanks!

Thank you!

I have asked the dealer from whom I purchased the car for a quote for (a) tyres with rims, as well as (b) tyres only.

If the price difference is not too much then I will go for option (a).

The dealership has also offered to store the summer tyres for 40 Euros.

I do not want to go to BMW as their preliminary quote is too expensive (2260 Euros for tyres + rims, and 1480 Euros for only tyres). These include the charges for balancing as well.

I checked with a third place where they sell only tyres, and that tyre shop offered me a quote of 940 Euros for Continental W-contact TS 860.

So clearly BMW rates are well above the market. I am not sure what their additional benefits are, and whether they would be worth the extra cost.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2021, 11:52 AM   #7
jrveron
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 m40i

Well, you know, it's not worth it for me because BMW will install the same tires as any other shop (and they usually buy from the same providers, haha). And a third-party shop can do even balancing, but as I mentioned, IMO alignment is better with them, here in Mexico at least.

Keep in mind that you will have a big price difference when choosing wheels. You know, brand, type, design, finish, etc.

Quote:
Thank you!

I have asked the dealer from whom I purchased the car for a quote for (a) tyres with rims, as well as (b) tyres only.

If the price difference is not too much then I will go for option (a).

The dealership has also offered to store the summer tyres for 40 Euros.

I do not want to go to BMW as their preliminary quote is too expensive (2260 Euros for tyres + rims, and 1480 Euros for only tyres). These include the charges for balancing as well.

I checked with a third place where they sell only tyres, and that tyre shop offered me a quote of 940 Euros for Continental W-contact TS 860.

So clearly BMW rates are well above the market. I am not sure what their additional benefits are, and whether they would be worth the extra cost.