BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Vibration during cold start-up

09-02-2021, 11:54 AM   #1
jrveron
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 m40i

Question Vibration during cold start-up

Hi guys, how are you?

I'm experiencing a noticeable vibration along the entire car when doing a cold start-up. I can feel it in the steering wheel and on my body while seated, in the doors, etc. After a couple of seconds, you know, when the RPMs go lower and stabilize at around 900rpms, the vibration goes off and doesn't appear anymore.

Did someone experience anything like that? What could it be?

I also have a problem with jerking at low acceleration. I put my question in this thread: https://f48.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=27978373

Could both problems be related?

Thanks,
JV.
      09-08-2021, 08:10 PM   #2
jrveron
Captain
Rep

Could someone please shed some light here? Thanks!
      09-09-2021, 07:22 AM   #3
rice_rocket88
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E60 F48 F39

I think you have that cold startup issue.. could be your spark plugs, could be that "programming" to fix idle startup. Happens once in a while to my wife when she starts the car and puts it into reverse right away. Good news is as soon as she gets rolling forward the rims go up and she hasn't had any lasting shaking.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2021, 10:22 AM   #4
jrveron
Captain
Rep

Thanks, rice_rocket88,

My concern is that it happens every single time I start the engine. And BMW changed the spark plugs less than 5,000 miles ago, so I would like to think that's not the issue here.

I just left my X1 with BMW to do a full update of all modules. I hope it helps with this issue and the jerking on low RPMs, but my gut tells me it's something else...

BTW, what do you mean by "that programming to fix idle startup"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rice_rocket88 View Post
I think you have that cold startup issue.. could be your spark plugs, could be that "programming" to fix idle startup. Happens once in a while to my wife when she starts the car and puts it into reverse right away. Good news is as soon as she gets rolling forward the rims go up and she hasn't had any lasting shaking.
      09-09-2021, 10:50 AM   #5
rice_rocket88
Major
No_Country
Rep

There are a few people with these rough starts and they were told that BMW had a new program update for those starts. That and a PCV or EGR valve replaced, I can't remember it all. Hopefully since your car is at the dealer you can get the updates, whether it's directly related to your problem or not, they don't usually explain until you ask more.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2021, 01:30 PM   #6
jrveron
Captain
Rep

Oh, I see.

Yes, I read some users replaced the EGR valve, but you know, it's only for diesel engines.

And I also read about the PCV valve on older X1's versions (E84). Searching in realoem for my X1, I found the "Crankcase-Ventilation." I believe it's the same: https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=11_5887

Anyway, hopefully, it will get better with the system update. Otherwise, I will keep pushing BMW to diagnose properly, starting with the crankcase ventilation parts.

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rice_rocket88 View Post
There are a few people with these rough starts and they were told that BMW had a new program update for those starts. That and a PCV or EGR valve replaced, I can't remember it all. Hopefully since your car is at the dealer you can get the updates, whether it's directly related to your problem or not, they don't usually explain until you ask more.
      09-21-2021, 09:43 AM   #7
jrveron
Captain
Rep

Hi guys, just a quick update here.

Unfortunately, the system update didn't fix my issue. So I'm asking BMW to make a full diagnosis of several parts, such as the spark plugs, the acceleration body, the CCV/PCV (Crankcase-Ventilation), the fuel pump, the air sensor, the transmission and its mounting, etc.

As you know, it could be many things, and I have no guidelines here. So that's why I'm trying to list all parts that could be related to my problem. But it can't be a coincidence; it sounds like a common problem. And I still think it's related to the jerking on slow rpm's trouble I also have.
      09-21-2021, 09:52 AM   #8
rice_rocket88
Major
No_Country
Rep

Thanks for the update, hope they find the trouble parts and you can post it up in the future!
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2023, 09:11 AM   #9
dudezi
Private
Rep
Drives: X5

SIB 12 21 17
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...76362-9999.pdf

my car was out of warranty, I paid $510.54( long Island, NY) at dealership for code upgrade.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2023, 09:43 AM   #10
andrelbc
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 2013

The same

Hi jrveron, finally what was the solution for your issue, can you share please, I'm having the same problem as you.

"I'm experiencing a noticeable vibration along the entire car when doing a cold start-up. I can feel it in the steering wheel and on my body while seated, in the doors, etc. After a couple of seconds, you know, when the RPMs go lower and stabilize at around 900rpms, the vibration goes off and doesn't appear anymore."

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrveron View Post
Hi guys, just a quick update here.

Unfortunately, the system update didn't fix my issue. So I'm asking BMW to make a full diagnosis of several parts, such as the spark plugs, the acceleration body, the CCV/PCV (Crankcase-Ventilation), the fuel pump, the air sensor, the transmission and its mounting, etc.

As you know, it could be many things, and I have no guidelines here. So that's why I'm trying to list all parts that could be related to my problem. But it can't be a coincidence; it sounds like a common problem. And I still think it's related to the jerking on slow rpm's trouble I also have.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2023, 09:55 AM   #11
jrveron
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrelbc View Post
Hi jrveron, finally what was the solution for your issue, can you share please, I'm having the same problem as you.

"I'm experiencing a noticeable vibration along the entire car when doing a cold start-up. I can feel it in the steering wheel and on my body while seated, in the doors, etc. After a couple of seconds, you know, when the RPMs go lower and stabilize at around 900rpms, the vibration goes off and doesn't appear anymore."
Hi there! If you're only experiencing the vibration, I would start by checking the engine mounts.

On the other hand, if you're experiencing the RPM flutter, I'm afraid I didn't find the cause. The car runs just fine, so I stop looking for answers.