BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Stock Tail Lights to LCI

04-20-2021, 09:28 AM   #67
JR_1979
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasWi View Post
Hello,

thank you "jr1979", thanks to your tip I replaced the lamps with a prelift, I only have a question what was wrongly coded because the light bulb burns to ~ 50% with the LED. when I press the stop it lights up ~ 100%
Sounds like you've got something set wrong in Bimmercode. Go to Simple Mode, BDC Controller and scroll through each setting. Look for anything related to Daytime Running Lights, Tail Lights, Brake Lights. Turn off all monitoring. Change from Halogen to LED. There may be some other setting you've played with in the past that's interfering, so double check that's not the issue.

EDIT* Although, now that I think about it, what you're describing could be the Daytime Running Lights. If you don't want Daytime Running Lights, obviously you'll have to disarm this setting in the Bimmercode app.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2021, 01:22 PM   #68
ThomasWi
Rep
Drives: R Kadjar 2019 & X1 28i 2019"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_1979 View Post
EDIT* Although, now that I think about it, what you're describing could be the Daytime Running Lights. If you don't want Daytime Running Lights, obviously you'll have to disarm this setting in the Bimmercode app.

Yes, I think I have coded Daytime Running Lights

Last edited by ThomasWi; 05-05-2021 at 11:12 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2021, 04:59 PM   #69
andersmy
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X1 xdrive20i

Hi all,

Would anyone care to share how to remove the original taillight housing from the tailgate?
Previous posts on the topic seem to point to a now defunct site…

My stock LEDs stopped working, so am torn between upgrading to LCI spec and replacing the LED drivers on the pre-lcis. Either way, the housing needs to come off

Cheers,
Anders
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2021, 07:54 PM   #70
Skyline2.0
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X1 xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by andersmy View Post
Hi all,

Would anyone care to share how to remove the original taillight housing from the tailgate?
Previous posts on the topic seem to point to a now defunct site…

My stock LEDs stopped working, so am torn between upgrading to LCI spec and replacing the LED drivers on the pre-lcis. Either way, the housing needs to come off

Cheers,
Anders
Push plastic trim cover from inner edge towards the outer side of the trunk hatch. Imagine a sliding motion with your hand on the trim piece and pushing towards the side edge. Use a plastic trim tool or be careful with a flathead to avoid marring the plastic. The trim piece is friction fit in place, which doesn't require much pressure.

You'll see a nut towards inner side holding the tailgate light housing. Remove the nut and unclip electrical connector to pop the light assembly out.

2nd side should be a 2 minute job once you figure out what to do for 1st side.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2021, 12:55 AM   #71
andersmy
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X1 xdrive20i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyline2.0 View Post
Push plastic trim cover from inner edge towards the outer side of the trunk hatch. Imagine a sliding motion with your hand on the trim piece and pushing towards the side edge. Use a plastic trim tool or be careful with a flathead to avoid marring the plastic. The trim piece is friction fit in place, which doesn't require much pressure.

You'll see a nut towards inner side holding the tailgate light housing. Remove the nut and unclip electrical connector to pop the light assembly out.

2nd side should be a 2 minute job once you figure out what to do for 1st side.
Thank you!

I had seen the nut, but didnÂ’t see how it attached to the bodywork. Will have another go!

I also find that a sliding motion with a bit of thumb pressure is sufficient to remove the trim piece. No need for tools to replace a bulb, as it should be
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2021, 01:36 PM   #72
ThomasWi
Rep
Drives: R Kadjar 2019 & X1 28i 2019"

Quote:
Yes, I think I have coded Daytime Running Lights
I checked the settings and I like the post with. Bulbs and leds are on together, is it correct? I think that only the LEDs should be on at night or during the day. I have a US market and cannot find burnt light bulb control.

I changed Daytime running light mode to to Active, but it didn't change anything..
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2021, 01:51 PM   #73
JR_1979
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I checked the settings and I like the post with. Bulbs and leds are on together, is it correct? I think that only the LEDs should be on at night or during the day. I have a US market and cannot find burnt light bulb control.

I changed Daytime running light mode to to Active, but it didn't change anything..
Everything is detailed from start to finish in this post:

https://f48.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...0&postcount=13

If the bulbs are on with the DRLs, I'm just going to throw a dart and guess you've got the lights set on auto and the car is parked in a dark garage or something, causing the lights to come on.

Either way, go back to square one, double check all your settings. If you'd played around with other settings somewhere that are causing an issue, nobody will be able to help you figure that out, you'll have to determine if/what those are. If you haven't made any other changes in Bimmercode, then everything you need to know is detailed in the above mentioned post.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2021, 08:11 AM   #74
Rolyreyes86
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 bmw 328i

Quote:
This will apply to pre-LCI LED tail lights. I have no experience with the LCI version, which seems to have a different bulb configuration. Someone else will have to chime in on that application.

Part #s for LED outer and inner taillights:

63-21-7-488-547 - Left Outer
63-21-7-488-548 - Right Outer
63-21-7-350-697 - Left Inner
63-21-7-350-698 - Right Inner

While you're at it, might as well pick up LED bulbs for the brake lights, turn signals and reverse lights:

1156 Brake lights and turn signals: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07H6VLWX2

1156 Reverse light: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07H6WSL4R

Remove the outer brake light housing and detach the factory plug. There's a purple retainer clip that you will need to slide out using a small screwdriver. This will allow you to depin the wires.

To depin a wire, using a small screwdriver, gently press down onto the catch of the wire you want to remove. This doesn't require much pressure.

Once released, you can pull the wire out.

Now using your small screwdriver, gently reposition the catch to it's locking position. This will now be ready to repin.

There are small rubber grommets inside of the unused wire slots. You will need to remove this. I used a small pin to slide it upwards out of the plug. Try to keep it intact, and reuse to plug the new slot that will be left open after your repin.

This is the configuration of your final setup.

Light Blue
Purple
Open
Brown
Open
Yellow/Black

Be sure to replace the purple retaining clip when you're done.

There is no repinning needed on the inner tail lights. Simply remove the old light, grab the new one, swap the halogen bulbs for LED, bolt it on and you're good to go.

Next, go into BimmerCode. There are two sections you will need to make adjustments, all in Simple Mode. Everything is located under BDC.

The first section is for the rear daytime running lights. You need to change all of these to active.

Next will be under bulb types and bulb monitoring. If you're changing everything to LED, just scroll through the list and adjust everything that pertains to the rear lights to LED, and turn off all monitoring.

Check you out.

Quote:
This will apply to pre-LCI LED tail lights. I have no experience with the LCI version, which seems to have a different bulb configuration. Someone else will have to chime in on that application.

Part #s for LED outer and inner taillights:

63-21-7-488-547 - Left Outer
63-21-7-488-548 - Right Outer
63-21-7-350-697 - Left Inner
63-21-7-350-698 - Right Inner

While you're at it, might as well pick up LED bulbs for the brake lights, turn signals and reverse lights:

1156 Brake lights and turn signals: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07H6VLWX2

1156 Reverse light: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07H6WSL4R

Remove the outer brake light housing and detach the factory plug. There's a purple retainer clip that you will need to slide out using a small screwdriver. This will allow you to depin the wires.

[IMG]
View post on imgur.com
[/IMG]

To depin a wire, using a small screwdriver, gently press down onto the catch of the wire you want to remove. This doesn't require much pressure.

[IMG]
View post on imgur.com
[/IMG]

Once released, you can pull the wire out.

Now using your small screwdriver, gently reposition the catch to it's locking position. This will now be ready to repin.

There are small rubber grommets inside of the unused wire slots. You will need to remove this. I used a small pin to slide it upwards out of the plug. Try to keep it intact, and reuse to plug the new slot that will be left open after your repin.

[IMG]
View post on imgur.com
[/IMG]

This is the configuration of your final setup.

Light Blue
Purple
Open
Brown
Open
Yellow/Black

[IMG]
View post on imgur.com
[/IMG]

Be sure to replace the purple retaining clip when you're done.

There is no repinning needed on the inner tail lights. Simply remove the old light, grab the new one, swap the halogen bulbs for LED, bolt it on and you're good to go.

Next, go into BimmerCode. There are two sections you will need to make adjustments, all in Simple Mode. Everything is located under BDC.

The first section is for the rear daytime running lights. You need to change all of these to active.

[IMG]
View post on imgur.com
[/IMG]

Next will be under bulb types and bulb monitoring. If you're changing everything to LED, just scroll through the list and adjust everything that pertains to the rear lights to LED, and turn off all monitoring.

[IMG]
View post on imgur.com
[/IMG]

Check you out.

[IMG]
View post on imgur.com
[/IMG]

I bought the lci tail lights and my car came with this connector but the new lci came with this one that is smaller and they sent me a pair of connectors that match the ones in the new housings so I'm guessing that I need to remove all the wires from OEM connector and swap them to the new one they sent me and that's it ? I'm confused
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-02-2021, 05:44 PM   #75
BFetter
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

Yes that is correct and you may have to do some coding which is detailed in back post on this. Also did they give you the new smaller pins for the new connector because the current pins are bigger then the new pins.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2021, 07:07 AM   #76
Rolyreyes86
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Project finally done ✅ I love how they look better than stock halogen
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-07-2021, 07:11 AM   #77
Rolyreyes86
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFetter View Post
Yes that is correct and you may have to do some coding which is detailed in back post on this. Also did they give you the new smaller pins for the new connector because the current pins are bigger then the new pins.
They didn't send me the new pins but I took it to a local electrician and he did it in less than one hour lol
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2021, 07:56 AM   #78
djadam
Private
Italy
Rep
Drives: X1 F48

Hi all,

I went from halogen to pre-LCI LEDs and am obviously missing the 4th wire on the outer tail lights.

Has anyone done this mod DIY? Is it feasible?

I have extra pins as the LED tail lights i bought still had the connectors inside, whoevere uninstalled them just cut the wire.

My biggest fear is the pins needed for the BDC harness, any idea of how to add a wire in there?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2021, 08:02 AM   #79
JR_1979
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by djadam View Post
Hi all,

I went from halogen to pre-LCI LEDs and am obviously missing the 4th wire on the outer tail lights.

Has anyone done this mod DIY? Is it feasible?

I have extra pins as the LED tail lights i bought still had the connectors inside, whoevere uninstalled them just cut the wire.

My biggest fear is the pins needed for the BDC harness, any idea of how to add a wire in there?

Thanks
The step-by-step instructions, with photos, were performed on halogen to pre-LCI. You're not missing any wires, they simply need to be reconfigured. Remove the plug from the units you purchased. Re-pin your existing plug as described, and plug into your new lights.

Appreciate 0
      07-20-2021, 08:22 AM   #80
djadam
Private
Italy
Rep

Quote:
The step-by-step instructions, with photos, were performed on halogen to pre-LCI. You're not missing any wires, they simply need to be reconfigured. Remove the plug from the units you purchased. Re-pin your existing plug as described, and plug into your new lights.

Actually , I only have 3 wires on the outside taillights (EU spec). Those instructions are from a US Spec which obviously has an extra wire (I have no purple wire on my harness).
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2021, 08:57 AM   #81
JR_1979
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Actually , I only have 3 wires on the outside taillights (EU spec). Those instructions are from a US Spec which obviously has an extra wire (I have no purple wire on my harness).
I'll PM you. If you get it figured out, you can come back here and post the results.
Appreciate 1
djadam28.00
      08-03-2021, 03:05 PM   #82
djadam
Private
Italy
Rep

Just to update this thread… without any new wires installed I have managed to get an ok setup.

I used the outer tail light wire and switched it to the drl position in the harness. This also means my drl light up more when I brake. So to add a braking light I also mapped the rear fog lights to brake lights.

Only caveat so far is the outer drls only come on when it's dark or I turn lights on from the switch, and also the inner "standard" taillight is always on.

Anyone know how to code these?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-05-2021, 06:41 PM   #83
djadam
Private
Italy
Rep

Does anyone know how to up the voltage going the outer standard lights?

Any tail light mapping diagram for bimmercode or other software?

I need to change the outer part as it's still dimmer than the inner but can't find the mapping for halogen lights.

any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2021, 11:55 AM   #84
zeidroc
France
Rep
Drives: X1 F48 -Xdrive 125d

Small "up" on my last messages.

I lent my car. Big mistake. My X1 came back to me with a gentle delicacy mark :

Don't worry, the concrete pole is still intact !

Well, now I have to get it fixed. The rear light, the shield and a poc on the left rear helper. But here I'm trying to find the reference of the BMW Led light, except that I only find the reference of the complete kit I had installed 6 months ago .... Oooops

I disassembled the light and I took a picture of the manufacturer's number, but I can't find the manufacturer's number of the rear light on the left wing.

If you have an idea you can share, I'm really keen to know.

Many thanks.
      09-24-2021, 04:42 AM   #85
Bojan
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 (F48)

Quote:
I have the same issue, my EU model doesnt have the fourth wire, only three wires, so Im having an issue with the outer light. I have no idea if I need to repin any wire between each other? If yes would you be a pal and tell me which one to replace with which one? Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2021, 06:34 AM   #86
Bojan
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 (F48)

Any ideas?

Thnx
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2021, 07:49 AM   #87
djadam
Private
Italy
Rep

Hi Bojan,

I didn't end up adding the fourth wire. For now I have switched the standard tail light wire into the LED.
I also activated fog lights as brake lights as the outer parts are obviously missing a wire now.

Adam
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2021, 07:55 AM   #88
djadam
Private
Italy
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeidroc View Post
Small "up" on my last messages.

I lent my car. Big mistake. My X1 came back to me with a gentle delicacy mark :

Don't worry, the concrete pole is still intact !

Well, now I have to get it fixed. The rear light, the shield and a poc on the left rear helper. But here I'm trying to find the reference of the BMW Led light, except that I only find the reference of the complete kit I had installed 6 months ago .... Oooops

I disassembled the light and I took a picture of the manufacturer's number, but I can't find the manufacturer's number of the rear light on the left wing.

If you have an idea you can share, I'm really keen to know.

Many thanks.
I don't know if you've solved this already but these are all the part numbers of the LCI rear LED kit

Make: BMW
Partnumbers:
63 21 7 477 713 / 63217477713 / 7477713
63 21 7 477 714 / 63217477714 / 7477714
63 21 7 477 717 / 63217477717 / 7477717
63 21 7 477 718 / 63217477718 / 7477718
Appreciate 0