BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) F48 pano sunroof maintanance

09-23-2021, 01:30 PM   #1
pinco000
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F48

F48 pano sunroof maintanance

Hi folks, Im about to detail the sunroof on my X1. It seems it has never been done (2016) by previous owners. So it will take a few hours I guess.
I noticed that the sunroof when closing, there is a spot where it kinda struggles a tiny bit. So probably would be wise to apply some grease.
Can someone recommend what grease to use? Many thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2021, 01:37 PM   #2
grumpyguy
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinco000 View Post
Hi folks, Im about to detail the sunroof on my X1. It seems it has never been done (2016) by previous owners. So it will take a few hours I guess.
I noticed that the sunroof when closing, there is a spot where it kinda struggles a tiny bit. So probably would be wise to apply some grease.
I use white lithium grease that can be used on automobiles. The brands available will depend on your location.
      09-23-2021, 02:02 PM   #3
pinco000
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpyguy View Post
Quote:
I use white lithium grease that can be used on automobiles. The brands available will depend on your location.
thanks for the recommendation, will check it out
Appreciate 1
      10-21-2021, 12:01 AM   #4
///Makis
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i

Quote:
BMW makes a sunroof grease, you can buy a tube of it from fcp euro or pelican parts

https://www.pelicanparts.com/More_In...%20Catch%20All

I don't know what's in the bmw one, I never checked or asker just smeared the tube all around the sides and moving parts and anywhere some rubs or touches and that got rid of a lot of noise on my car.
Appreciate 1
pinco000158.50
      02-09-2022, 01:08 PM   #5
jrveron
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 m40i

Hi guys, I'm bringing back to life this thread.

Aside from putting grease, which in my head is like the final step of the process, what other steps do I need to do for the maintenance? For example, do I need to disassemble anything? What should I clean?

Thanks,
JV.
      02-09-2022, 02:52 PM   #6
pinco000
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrveron View Post
Hi guys, I'm bringing back to life this thread.

Aside from putting grease, which in my head is like the final step of the process, what other steps do I need to do for the maintenance? For example, do I need to disassemble anything? What should I clean?

Thanks,
JV.
Hi, I have not done mine yet as Im waiting for a bit better weather here in the UK. You don't need to disassemble anything. Prior to lubrication you should clean the all rails ad surroudings. Make sure you take some pictures before to see where exactly get the grease.
Also there are some very helpfull videos on youtube how to DIY this on various BMW X models. Good luck
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2022, 02:57 PM   #7
jrveron
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 m40i

Quote:
Hi, I have not done mine yet as Im waiting for a bit better weather here in the UK. You don't need to disassemble anything. Prior to lubrication you should clean the all rails ad surroudings. Make sure you take some pictures before to see where exactly get the grease.
Also there are some very helpfull videos on youtube how to DIY this on various BMW X models. Good luck
Thanks mate! Will do.