BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X2 Forum (F39) X2 m35 New owner - first mods (exhaust / res delete help)

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      08-25-2021, 01:36 AM   #1
adamsmog
New Member
3
Rep
12
Posts

Drives: Bmw x2 m35
Join Date: Aug 2021
Location: Sydney

iTrader: (0)

X2 m35 New owner - first mods (exhaust / res delete help)

Hey Guys

Picking up a brand new x2 m35 next week from the dealer (May 2021 build)

Storm Bay Grey with shadow kit, also rims will be re-done in gloss black from the dealer with open lore carbon wheel trim

Iím coming from a 2016 m135i LCI on stage 2+ so majorly down on power but was prepared for something a little bigger and a little more comfy + the deal I got on this was too good to pass up with my lease on the m135 coming to an end

Havenít got the car yet but have ordered AC schnitzer springs and an full Maxton kit along with a BMS panel filter lol

Iím also tossing up on exhaust options but there is seriously NOTHING out there except for supersprint which is very $$$

I want a DP but there isnít enough info out there for me to be brave enough to tune just yet and no videos Iíve come across on mid pipe / res delete so I hard to weigh up options

Has anyone done a res delete or installed the supersprint mid pipe with cat delete they can share? Does it give good tune to an already barkey exhaust and is there any drone ?

Also any other worth while mods to consider? There is little out there for such a new model

Cheers
Attached Images
  

Last edited by adamsmog; 08-25-2021 at 01:44 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2021, 08:56 AM   #2
rounderman
Private First Class
United_States
73
Rep
166
Posts

Drives: 2019 X2 M35
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Western NY

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2019 BMW X2 M35  [0.00]
First welcome to the club, the cars are fun to drive. Love the color, very high on my list for my next one next year (assuming they have any next year) check out the thread: Burger Tuning JB4 install on B48 X2 m35i sorry I am not sure how to link the thread directly

there is a whole thread (long) on tuning and mods. you will find at least 2 or three folks who are really into the tuning, mods, etc. if you track down their posts you will get a lot of great information.

hope you enjoy the car, stay safe and more pics as you make your mods
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2021, 09:56 AM   #3
xcelir8bmw
Captain
United_States
177
Rep
861
Posts

Drives: 2019 BMW X2 M35i
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Chicagoland

iTrader: (0)

Simple answers.

Do not do bolt ons and only do JB4 as that is what has only been proven to work on map 1 or 2 gaining about 50HP.

Any other mods will make engine or related go boom at this point in time.

And I am one of the mad scientists here.
Appreciate 1
      08-25-2021, 01:29 PM   #4
King_Leonard
Private First Class
71
Rep
123
Posts

Drives: BMW X2 M35i
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: 3rd Planet

iTrader: (0)

Simply stunning. BMW would be smart to offer more premium colors on the X2.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2021, 02:54 PM   #5
rice_rocket88
Captain
201
Rep
840
Posts

Drives: E60 F48 F49
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Boston

iTrader: (0)

Well other than the JB4.. drop in filters don't seem to do anything plus or minus either. It is still debateable about the jb4 cone intake, as only one person tried it. He didn't see any issues, but when I made my own similar one a year before it caused the JB4 and the car to not like the airflow. The supersprint mid pipe also seemed to increase the boost by itself, so it may be throwing the jb4 around for a loop as well.

I suppose if you put all together WITHOUT any type of tuning/piggyback it might be ok. Jb4 to me still seems to be the best option (because of the logging and failsafe, and being able to adjust things) I myself am having no issues running it on map2 with a higher boost failsafe in Boston. (Just to reference climate and humidity is both hot, humid, and at sea level).

LOVE the storm grey, and it's also cool you can get gloss black wheels from the dealer as an option (it certainly wasn't in 2019). I still am loving the car, and even though it is certainly down on power compared to my e60 n54, for 99% of the time it is punchier and lighter.... just lacking steam on the highway pulls at maybe 70mph upwards. But honestly, when do I ever really get to use that.. not much.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2021, 06:07 PM   #6
Tarekith
Private First Class
Tarekith's Avatar
United_States
44
Rep
136
Posts

Drives: BMW M35i
Join Date: May 2020
Location: Seattle

iTrader: (0)

Interesting the Storm Grey has red calipers too.
__________________
2020 M35i
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2021, 10:46 PM   #7
adamsmog
New Member
3
Rep
12
Posts

Drives: Bmw x2 m35
Join Date: Aug 2021
Location: Sydney

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rice_rocket88 View Post
Well other than the JB4.. drop in filters don't seem to do anything plus or minus either. It is still debateable about the jb4 cone intake, as only one person tried it. He didn't see any issues, but when I made my own similar one a year before it caused the JB4 and the car to not like the airflow. The supersprint mid pipe also seemed to increase the boost by itself, so it may be throwing the jb4 around for a loop as well.

I suppose if you put all together WITHOUT any type of tuning/piggyback it might be ok. Jb4 to me still seems to be the best option (because of the logging and failsafe, and being able to adjust things) I myself am having no issues running it on map2 with a higher boost failsafe in Boston. (Just to reference climate and humidity is both hot, humid, and at sea level).

LOVE the storm grey, and it's also cool you can get gloss black wheels from the dealer as an option (it certainly wasn't in 2019). I still am loving the car, and even though it is certainly down on power compared to my e60 n54, for 99% of the time it is punchier and lighter.... just lacking steam on the highway pulls at maybe 70mph upwards. But honestly, when do I ever really get to use that.. not much.

It had good punch down low. But It definitely doesnít have the grunt of the inline 6 n55 but I am only zipping Around town

Did you do the mid pipe with stock down pipe and back box? How was the sound and can you share you view on exhaust tone after the mod? Worth it ?
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2021, 10:50 PM   #8
adamsmog
New Member
3
Rep
12
Posts

Drives: Bmw x2 m35
Join Date: Aug 2021
Location: Sydney

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcelir8bmw View Post
Simple answers.

Do not do bolt ons and only do JB4 as that is what has only been proven to work on map 1 or 2 gaining about 50HP.

Any other mods will make engine or related go boom at this point in time.

And I am one of the mad scientists here.
Haha thanks. Feels like I am going back in time here. Guess the car is too new to have not been fully explored yet .

What supporting mods do you need for jb4 map 1/2 or is it just a straight flash from stock with out the need for supporting mods? Is the charge pipe sufficient and obviously doesnít require a High flow Cat ?

Not much available right now, unlike the n55 platform but Iím going to appreciate the comfort never the less
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2021, 07:35 AM   #9
xcelir8bmw
Captain
United_States
177
Rep
861
Posts

Drives: 2019 BMW X2 M35i
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Chicagoland

iTrader: (0)

JB4 piggyback on stock for map 1 and 2, no flash as DME is locked and no supporting mods to get the 50 over stock.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2021, 10:03 AM   #10
rice_rocket88
Captain
201
Rep
840
Posts

Drives: E60 F48 F49
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Boston

iTrader: (0)

I was not the one to do the mid pipe.. I can't remember the username since it's a little complicated in my mind. Edit: (21M235IXGC is the guy)The jb4 is the piggyback so everything stays stock. I have doubts that the car can get much power in it's current state... we have all made some guesses that possibly it could run out of fuel before getting more boost.. and a bigger turbo would be the next real step. In my past experiences all the other mods like decat or even intercooler upgrade won't push enough power levels much more. I would say fuel injector and bigger turbo with more airflow, and possibly less boost will get this thing going more like a highway puller.

Still.. daily driving it around I think it's pretty good as it is.

The other thing you might look into is a pedal tuner or pedal box if you feel the dead spot in the acceleration/gas pedal.

Last edited by rice_rocket88; 08-26-2021 at 10:37 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2021, 10:41 AM   #11
BlownLSX
Second Lieutenant
BlownLSX's Avatar
88
Rep
215
Posts

Drives: C6Z, M235iGC, 330i
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Buffalo

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rice_rocket88 View Post
I was not the one to do the mid pipe.. I can't remember the username since it's a little complicated in my mind. Edit: (21M235IXGC is the guy)The jb4 is the piggyback so everything stays stock. I have doubts that the car can get much power in it's current state... we have all made some guesses that possibly it could run out of fuel before getting more boost.. and a bigger turbo would be the next real step. In my past experiences all the other mods like decat or even intercooler upgrade won't push enough power levels much more. I would say fuel injector and bigger turbo with more airflow, and possibly less boost will get this thing going more like a highway puller.

Still.. daily driving it around I think it's pretty good as it is.

The other thing you might look into is a pedal tuner or pedal box if you feel the dead spot in the acceleration/gas pedal.
I can tell you this, the fuel system is not the weak link. All the parts from HPFP to the injectors are all out of a x3m. The problem is tuning. Until a flash is available and can alter fuel trims we're kinda stuck at jb4 + intake only.
Appreciate 1
      09-08-2021, 09:00 PM   #12
adamsmog
New Member
3
Rep
12
Posts

Drives: Bmw x2 m35
Join Date: Aug 2021
Location: Sydney

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlownLSX View Post
I can tell you this, the fuel system is not the weak link. All the parts from HPFP to the injectors are all out of a x3m. The problem is tuning. Until a flash is available and can alter fuel trims we're kinda stuck at jb4 + intake only.
so JB4 only on map 1 or 2? Were you saying JB4 and a DP will put too much strain on the engine and you dont recommend at this point in time?
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2021, 01:09 PM   #13
BlownLSX
Second Lieutenant
BlownLSX's Avatar
88
Rep
215
Posts

Drives: C6Z, M235iGC, 330i
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Buffalo

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamsmog View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlownLSX View Post
I can tell you this, the fuel system is not the weak link. All the parts from HPFP to the injectors are all out of a x3m. The problem is tuning. Until a flash is available and can alter fuel trims we're kinda stuck at jb4 + intake only.
so JB4 only on map 1 or 2? Were you saying JB4 and a DP will put too much strain on the engine and you dont recommend at this point in time?
If a DP was available I Would absolutely try map 3 and watch the trims.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2021, 03:47 PM   #14
rice_rocket88
Captain
201
Rep
840
Posts

Drives: E60 F48 F49
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Boston

iTrader: (0)

My car behaves just fine on Map2 (and a stock exhaust). Some have had it go into failsafe... and I know others have had the car get hot on the track which will pull power as well.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2021, 08:24 AM   #15
xcelir8bmw
Captain
United_States
177
Rep
861
Posts

Drives: 2019 BMW X2 M35i
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Chicagoland

iTrader: (0)

map 2 worked fine for me until 90F outside then failsafed
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2021, 04:45 PM   #16
21M235IXGC
Second Lieutenant
21M235IXGC's Avatar
United_States
69
Rep
294
Posts

Drives: m235i
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: USA

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcelir8bmw View Post
map 2 worked fine for me until 90F outside then failsafed
JB4 plus map 1 or map 2 depending on outside temps works well for me

BMS Intake worked well for me in the winter I took it off in the summer as it felt a little sluggish due to around town traffic and under hood temps . I ended up with a BMC k&n style drop in filter .

Supersprint midpipe worked well with stock axle back muffler and stock midpipe . It was was a little to loud for me and wifey so I sold it to another member here who's seems to be enjoying it well with his JB4 also .

Pedal commander I also have for the throttle response , I've had 2 different ones and the pedal commander is way more adjustable than the dte pedal box that I previously had so I recommended this as it greatly helps the car with the dead point in the pedal and also gives you the ability to have the car feel more like sport mode when it's in comfort also 👍🏻
__________________
..2021 M235ix
Appreciate 2
CSBM52003.50
      09-14-2021, 12:56 AM   #17
adamsmog
New Member
3
Rep
12
Posts

Drives: Bmw x2 m35
Join Date: Aug 2021
Location: Sydney

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21M235IXGC View Post
JB4 plus map 1 or map 2 depending on outside temps works well for me

BMS Intake worked well for me in the winter I took it off in the summer as it felt a little sluggish due to around town traffic and under hood temps . I ended up with a BMC k&n style drop in filter .

Supersprint midpipe worked well with stock axle back muffler and stock midpipe . It was was a little to loud for me and wifey so I sold it to another member here who's seems to be enjoying it well with his JB4 also .

Pedal commander I also have for the throttle response , I've had 2 different ones and the pedal commander is way more adjustable than the dte pedal box that I previously had so I recommended this as it greatly helps the car with the dead point in the pedal and also gives you the ability to have the car feel more like sport mode when it's in comfort also 👍🏻

Thanks great info

Interested about the pedal commander, the lag when punching the throttle is killing me so sounds like this might sort it outÖ

Iím going to take a stab at a res delete rather than forking out $1000 aud for the SS mid pipe, Iím sure I will get the same result

Strange the car went into limp on map 1 or 2. The intercooler / radiator a weak point? Iíve found a custom 200 cell DP and might take the plunge once the run in is complete
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2021, 10:01 AM   #18
rice_rocket88
Captain
201
Rep
840
Posts

Drives: E60 F48 F49
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Boston

iTrader: (0)

The pedal box does HELP, but you can still get that lag if "driven improperly" to cause it. It is more like having it in sport mode all the time.. it decreases that dead spot, and makes the pedal more sensitive, but it does not completely eliminate it! It is certainly worth it in my opinion, I do like the pedal feel more like a drive by wire, ie you hit the pedal and the rpm's go up right away.. vs stock and most electronic throttles, there is a slow tip in and a small dead spot.

The SS mid pipe wasn't actually that expensive when 21M235IXGC pieced it together... something like under $300? I also "think" that the X1 downpipe itself might fit, but then again you need to deal with the front O2 sensor and a check engine light. For me I need a yearly inspection that monitors all of it, and the gains is not worth the headache for me at this point in my life

The limp mode is mainly the car either boost spiking too much or the timing might suffer.. high heat doesn't make the car happy. Again, I'm pretty lucky and I haven't had it failsafe yet in map2 no matter the season (once the boost limit was raised as you need to do in the jb4 custom settings). 21M235IXGC saw the overall boost increase with just the midpipe, which would increase your chances of hitting that limit and putting it into limp mode.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2021, 07:29 AM   #19
adamsmog
New Member
3
Rep
12
Posts

Drives: Bmw x2 m35
Join Date: Aug 2021
Location: Sydney

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rice_rocket88 View Post
The pedal box does HELP, but you can still get that lag if "driven improperly" to cause it. It is more like having it in sport mode all the time.. it decreases that dead spot, and makes the pedal more sensitive, but it does not completely eliminate it! It is certainly worth it in my opinion, I do like the pedal feel more like a drive by wire, ie you hit the pedal and the rpm's go up right away.. vs stock and most electronic throttles, there is a slow tip in and a small dead spot.

The SS mid pipe wasn't actually that expensive when 21M235IXGC pieced it together... something like under $300? I also "think" that the X1 downpipe itself might fit, but then again you need to deal with the front O2 sensor and a check engine light. For me I need a yearly inspection that monitors all of it, and the gains is not worth the headache for me at this point in my life

The limp mode is mainly the car either boost spiking too much or the timing might suffer.. high heat doesn't make the car happy. Again, I'm pretty lucky and I haven't had it failsafe yet in map2 no matter the season (once the boost limit was raised as you need to do in the jb4 custom settings). 21M235IXGC saw the overall boost increase with just the midpipe, which would increase your chances of hitting that limit and putting it into limp mode.
Thanks mate

Final question with the mid pipe, was their any drone and how much louder was it than stock? 20/30% louder?
Appreciate 1
g.m0035.00
      09-21-2021, 01:52 PM   #20
BlownLSX
Second Lieutenant
BlownLSX's Avatar
88
Rep
215
Posts

Drives: C6Z, M235iGC, 330i
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Buffalo

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamsmog View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rice_rocket88 View Post
The pedal box does HELP, but you can still get that lag if "driven improperly" to cause it. It is more like having it in sport mode all the time.. it decreases that dead spot, and makes the pedal more sensitive, but it does not completely eliminate it! It is certainly worth it in my opinion, I do like the pedal feel more like a drive by wire, ie you hit the pedal and the rpm's go up right away.. vs stock and most electronic throttles, there is a slow tip in and a small dead spot.

The SS mid pipe wasn't actually that expensive when 21M235IXGC pieced it together... something like under $300? I also "think" that the X1 downpipe itself might fit, but then again you need to deal with the front O2 sensor and a check engine light. For me I need a yearly inspection that monitors all of it, and the gains is not worth the headache for me at this point in my life

The limp mode is mainly the car either boost spiking too much or the timing might suffer.. high heat doesn't make the car happy. Again, I'm pretty lucky and I haven't had it failsafe yet in map2 no matter the season (once the boost limit was raised as you need to do in the jb4 custom settings). 21M235IXGC saw the overall boost increase with just the midpipe, which would increase your chances of hitting that limit and putting it into limp mode.
Thanks mate

Final question with the mid pipe, was their any drone and how much louder was it than stock? 20/30% louder?
It's 100% louder than stock
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2021, 03:59 AM   #21
cdavis93
Private
United_States
44
Rep
82
Posts

Drives: 2016 M2
Join Date: Jul 2021
Location: Pennsylvania

iTrader: (0)

Congrats on your new ride! It's lovely. I guess it falls down to what you want to achieve. Personally, I would go for AWE, RedStar, Stone, or AA. But if they have it for your model though? I'm not sure.

The rims in gloss black are gonna look so good!
Appreciate 1
g.m0035.00
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:47 PM.




xbimmers
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST