BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) HELP!! Replacing the windshield

09-05-2021, 10:42 AM   #1
swagetti_yolonese
Rep
Drives: x1

HELP!! Replacing the windshield

Some kids threw rocks at my bmw x1 (f48 from 2015) an0d now the windshield has some tiny chips on it.

The parents may pay the repair fully or partly (I don't know yet).

1) I heard that there are some ways to repair chips with some kind of gel. Is it worth giving it a try? The chips are really tiny.

2) I read that if the replaced windshield is not OEM, then the HUD might not work. Is that true? I am not sure what brand my OEM windshield is. All I see on it is Carlex and some codes. Is that a brand?

Can I put another brand windshield on it if that one is HUD compatible?
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2021, 12:15 PM   #2
rajtech113
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 x1 xdrive28i, Audi SQ5

I get quite a few small chips in my x1 and Porsche. I also hate to replace ws since its not always quite the same as original. SAFELITE, for one, does a pretty good job of filling small or larger cracks and they stay through winter and summer climate changing so I always fill cracks if possible. I have replace the ws with even BMW brand windows and the HUD did not line up so I had to go to the dealer to get it aligned again. I would fill as first choice. Realize that depending on the crack in particular there may be some small visual present but I think it will not propagate and will look much better than before filling. Thats my experience.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2021, 12:17 PM   #3
CnSky
Major
Ireland
Rep
Drives: BMW 530E 2017

Replaced mine with non OEM through insurance due a huge scratch, as long as they know there is a HUD etc and get correct glass no issues.

Only noticeable difference is the connected drive emblem no longer exists below the camera but I prefer the cleaner look.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2021, 12:57 PM   #4
swagetti_yolonese
Rep

Thanks guys for your input. It helps a lot.
I need more opinions.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2021, 09:57 PM   #5
ZZZZ
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i winterbeater

The gel works great if it's just chips and not a crack. No harm in trying that before changing the entire windshield.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2021, 09:23 AM   #6
Semi Retired
Private
Rep
Drives: X1 2.0d Xline xdrive White

Hi had mine reluctantly replaced with OEM screen direct from BMW UK but had to battle with insurance for OEM screen due to cost. I have the HUD and all was fine in the end, the importance is to insure that they are aware it has the HUD fitted, and that the camera and sensors are recalibrated after fitting via ODB port. Mine was unrepairable due to large chip in the centre of the fain censer. I would only recommend repair if done by professional window company, as if not done correctly you will get issues in bright sunlight and at night from LED headlights, good luck whichever you decide
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2021, 07:52 AM   #7
Zookol
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X1 S drive

Had my windshield replaced by Safelite at my own home. First time they came out, they had the wrong windshield and had to reschedule.

After returning with and installing the correct windshield (made for HUD and rain sensor,etc) I haven’t had any problems.

HUD works perfect and no problem with Connected Drive. Like another poster said, the screen does not have “Connected Drive” etched in
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2021, 08:18 AM   #8
swagetti_yolonese
Rep

Thanks guys. You're awesome.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2021, 08:47 AM   #9
///Makis
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i

The gel which is think is a form of liquid acrylic does work really well and when applied by professionals like safelite can be pretty much perfect but it depends on the type or chip, I think the bullseye type ones depending on size are harder to repair but the ones that are like little nicks or scuffs are much simpler and will be 100% and unnoticeable.

Send pics of the damage and I can advise better but I had researched this in length when I had some rocks kicked up by a truck in front of me and repaired mine on my e82. You can watch a lot of videos on repairs to get an idea of what can and cannot be done.

If there is a crack that needs to get repaired ASAP as it could start running like others mentioned and then you have a bigger problem.

Honestly though take it to a pro to see if they can repair and give a warranty, buying the diy kits are not worth it as you will have to spend maybe half the cost of a pro repair to get a good kit and at the same time your first time repairing something like this never goes as well as anticipated. But just my two cents.

Also those kids are jerks I'm glad you caught them and the parents will pay for it but that's just terrible
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2021, 01:19 AM   #10
oakey46
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 2 A/T 220i Lux Auto 1.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semi Retired View Post
Hi had mine reluctantly replaced with OEM screen direct from BMW UK but had to battle with insurance for OEM screen due to cost. I have the HUD and all was fine in the end, the importance is to insure that they are aware it has the HUD fitted, and that the camera and sensors are recalibrated after fitting via ODB port. Mine was unrepairable due to large chip in the centre of the fain censer. I would only recommend repair if done by professional window company, as if not done correctly you will get issues in bright sunlight and at night from LED headlights, good luck whichever you decide
I recently had to have a windscreen replacement, which was fitted via my insurer, by Autoglass. I don’t have HUD, but the camera was recalibrated as part of the process. Interestingly the new windscreen is the same make as the factory original (Fuyao), the only difference being that it isn’t also labelled as BMW. It is, unlike the original, an Acoustic screen. Fitting went smoothly, taking a couple of hours, and I simply had to pay the insurance excess.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2021, 10:55 AM   #11
ZZZZ
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i winterbeater

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakey46 View Post
I recently had to have a windscreen replacement, which was fitted via my insurer, by Autoglass. I don’t have HUD, but the camera was recalibrated as part of the process. Interestingly the new windscreen is the same make as the factory original (Fuyao), the only difference being that it isn’t also labelled as BMW. It is, unlike the original, an Acoustic screen. Fitting went smoothly, taking a couple of hours, and I simply had to pay the insurance excess.
Do you notice a difference with the acoustics?
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2021, 05:15 PM   #12
oakey46
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 2 A/T 220i Lux Auto 1.5

Quote: Do you notice a difference with the acoustics?
Subjectively I think it is a little quieter with the acoustic windscreen. What has made a difference is that a few weeks ago I replaced all the tyres, changing from original fit Bridgestone Turanza T001s to Goodyear Efficient Grip Performance 2. Whilst they aren’t specifically BMW * marked, the ride quality and noise levels do feel much improved. I read some very favourable reviews, plus the UK Auto Express magazine placed them in first place in its 2020 summer tyre test.
Again though I would stress that, apart from the magazine review, these are my personal thoughts.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2021, 06:09 PM   #13
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagetti_yolonese View Post
Some kids threw rocks at my bmw x1 (f48 from 2015) an0d now the windshield has some tiny chips on it.

The parents may pay the repair fully or partly (I don't know yet).

1) I heard that there are some ways to repair chips with some kind of gel. Is it worth giving it a try? The chips are really tiny.

2) I read that if the replaced windshield is not OEM, then the HUD might not work. Is that true? I am not sure what brand my OEM windshield is. All I see on it is Carlex and some codes. Is that a brand?

Can I put another brand windshield on it if that one is HUD compatible?
I've repaired small chips myself, have had small chips repaired by Safelite and have had a few windshield replacements done by Safelite as well. If indeed all you have are tiny chips, you will not want to replace the windshield but it depends on the quantity, location and severity of them. Can you post pix? If left alone and they are deep enough, they will spider web and can start to grow over time with vibrations and temp changes. Filling them is what stops their growth. You will probably still see where the chips are even when they are filled but it most cases its not worth the time or trouble to replace a windshield unless the cracks are growing across or up and down the majority of the windshield.

Repair company's create a vacuum within the chip (the void that's created by the little missing piece of glass) and then release what looks like clear epoxy that fills the void and it goes into all the cracks and crevices of the void, if any. I bought my kit at my local corner auto parts store, it took 20 minutes and worked well, not perfect, but well. If on the other hand you've got 15, 20, 25 chips, that's a different story. You can search YouTube and watch the process of how they are filled and what they look like after but an insurance company will not want to pay for a replacement unless its deemed necessary and from your description, I would have to say its not necessary at this point.
Appreciate 0